Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry it took me so long to get this one posted...hope you enjoy!

Chapter 4

So what time did you want to hook up?

Jaelyn stared at the text in confusion. To the average college student this text would be an invitation to meet up for sexual reasons. Even Jaelyn had a hard time thinking of the text in a strictly platonic way...although she knew that he was referring to them getting together to study.

"So how was your surprise dinner?" Amanda asked, breaking up Jaelyn's daydream.

"Huh? Oh, it was fine."

"Fine?" Amanda asked, sitting down across from her friend. Usually they wouldn't be able to hear each other's voices over the ruckus that's the norm for the UC, but today it was remarkably quiet.

"You made a home-cooked meal and pulled a Mary Poppins and you're telling me that you didn't even get any?!" Amanda exclaimed.

"Keep your voice down; I don't want everyone and their mommas knowing my business," Jaelyn scolded.

"Sorry; I just didn't expect that answer. But please tell me I'm wrong. Tell me that you didn't do all that work for nothing."

"No, we had a romantic evening."

"Yet you used the word 'fine' to describe it. Trouble in paradise?"

"No! No, we're fine," Jaelyn replied quickly.

"Ok; your mouth is saying it but your face isn't showing it. Are you sure things are ok? He hasn't put his hands on you has he...I swear I'll kick him in the throat if---"

"No!" Jaelyn cut her friend off, "No girl! We're fine. I promise."

"Ok," Amanda said before looking down at her watch and noticing the time, "I have to go to Politics but I'll call you later ok?"

"Alright, bye girl," Jaelyn said, waving at Amanda as she walked away. She sighed heavily before opening up the text from Justin again and typed a reply.

What are you doing now?

It wasn't long before her phone vibrated, indicating that she had a new text message.

Nothing. Why? You wanna meet now?

Jaelyn thought about it for a moment before responding.

Yeah, meet me in the library in like 30 minutes.

The message was sent before she had the chance to change her mind. They were only studying, there was nothing wrong with that...right? Right. Studying isn't cheating. Jaelyn stopped by Subway and grabbed a few cookies and grabbed two Dr. Pepper's from the school convenience store before heading towards the library. She got there a few minutes before Justin and checked out a study room for them. She was a visual learner and the wipe-off boards in the private rooms were quite helpful when it came to making lists and random notes. She texted him the room number and went upstairs to set things up. It wasn't long before Justin was there.

"You study the same way I do," he commented as he watched her write some key points that they'd have to go over in this study session.

"You like dry erase boards and flash cards too?"

"I swear it's like we're soulmates or something," he said, pulling out a stack of 3x5 notecards. Both of them chuckled at his comment.

"Who knew a frat boy could be so studious?" Jaelyn said jokingly.

"Hey," he laughed, "I find that offensive. Not all of us are skirt chasing alcoholics...well at least not everyday." Jaelyn was in hysterics once again.

"Don't worry, according to Newsom ya'lls drinking habits are no different than our founding fathers. But enough about alcohol Mr. Sigma Alpha Epsilon; we have to crack open these books."

"Yeah, I need to make at least a 70 on this next test."

"You and I both hun," Jaelyn said with a smile, "Oh! And before I forget, I got us some snacks. I wasn't sure if you'd eaten lunch already so I bought some cookies and sodas."

"Seriously?" Justin asked with a smile, "Dude, will you marry me? How much more perfect can you get," he said with a slight chuckle.

"If you pass this test...maybe," Jaelyn replied, playing along before sitting down and pulling out her own stack of 3x5 notecards. The two of them began dissecting the notes they took in class and wrote on the important key points on the dry erase board and on their flash cards. They were just about to go through their textbook to note any extra things that weren't in their notes when Justin's phone vibrated, indicating that he had a new text message. He apologized before reaching in his pocket and pulling out the device.

"Girlfriend checking up on you?" Jaelyn asked jokingly when he finished typing his response.

"Naw, I wish. I'm a single man," he replied with a half-smile, "What about yourself?" Before Jaelyn could answer his question her phone rang...saved by the bell.

"Sorry, I have to get this," she said before looking down on the screen and seeing that it was Daniel calling her. She excused herself from the room before answering the call.

"Hello?"

"Hey baby, where are you? I came home to surprise you with dinner...and maybe continue last night but you aren't here." Jaelyn could hear his smile in his voice.

"I'm studying at the library with some friends from history."

"Oh, well I'll pick you up, that way you don't have to walk all the way back over here."

"No," Jaelyn said quickly, "I'll be ok walking home. I'll be there in a bit, ok?"

"Alright. See you when you get here. I love you."

"Love you too," she whispered right before she went back into the study room she and Justin were sharing.

"Everything ok?" he asked with in a concerned tone.

"Yeah, my friend Amanda just needs my help with something," she lied, "But I have good and bad news."

"Oh really? And what is that?" he asked with a grin.

"Well you sort of already know the bad news...I have to go. But the good news is that you're ready for this test."

"I am?"

"Yep," she confirmed, "We've gone through all of these notes and the chapters in the book and you're ready for this. Just continue to go over your notecards and you'll be fine," Jaelyn stated as she began gathering her belongings.

"Here, let me help you with that," Justin said, just as they both reached for her dry erase markers. Their fingers grazed and she looked up at him, immediately getting lost in his deep blue eyes. The atmosphere thickened, charged with sexual static that raised the hair on her arms. He reached out slowly, enticingly. She closed her eyes, shivering as his knuckle brushed her cheek...then something tickled her lashes. Her eyelids fluttered open and Justin hesitated, probing her eyes for what seemed like an eternity, then he slowly, exquisitely, brushed his lips over her mouth in a touch so delicate she wondered if it had been real. His hand slid down her throat, paused, then moved to cup the back of her head.

"You are simply amazing," he whispered. Before she could even think to breathe, his mouth covered hers in a kiss that shook her to the soles of her feet. If her brain was numb, her body wasn't and she responded with an instinctive eagerness that was both shocking and thrilling. She melted against him and without conscious command her trembling fingers clutched his greek shirt, frantic to bring him closer - and closer still. When he urged her lips apart and tasted her deeply, a frightened whimper bubbled from her throat. Justin swallowed the tiny cry, then slowly, almost painfully, released her. Realizing what she'd just done Jaelyn lowered her head.

"I'm sorry, that shouldn't have happened. I have to go," she said, frantically gathering the rest of her things and leaving the building. It wasn't until she was outside that she slowed down and assessed the situation. She had just cheated on Daniel...and actually enjoyed it.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers fratboyj collegej triangle