CHAPTER TEN
JUSTIN

"Justin!"

"What?" I asked, shaking so hard I could hardly think.

"Calm down!" Trace told me and shook my shoulders. I shook my head and tried to take in a deep breath. "It'll be ok."

"What if he knows?" I asked Trace, paranoid that Johnny had found out my true feelings about Jen which was why he'd called me here to meet him.

"So what?" Trace asked, "It's not a crime. And I'll back you up ok? You don't have to panic."

"But he could..." I began.

"He won't," Trace reaffirmed and looked me in the eye. "He can't."

"He can and he will. You know that as well as I do," I muttered and jumped at the sound of my phone.

"What?"

"Justin?" I let out a long breath, it was only Jen.

"Hey baby," I said, calming down a lot more. "What's up?"

"Nothing..." she began and paused. "Are you okay?"

"Me? I'm fine why?" I asked her, seeing Trace roll his eyes at me.

"Well you sound kind of..." she began but I cut her off quickly.

"How's the kid?" I asked, changing the subject dramatically to my daughter.

"Uh. She's fine," Jen said and I sighed. "You sure you're ok Justin?"

"Yeah sure," I lied and looked at Trace who was glancing at his watch. "Just have a lot on my mind."

"Really? Like what?" Jen asked concerned and I paused. "J?"

"Nothing," I told her. I didn't want her to worry about me so soon after she left.

"Justin..." she warned and I closed my eyes, trying not to snap.

"I'm fine Jen seriously. Don't worry about me ok?" I said and re-opened my eyes to see Johnny walking up to us. I felt my stomach knot. "Uh, look Jen I have to go. Johnny's here and..."

"You have a meeting?" Jen laughed and I nodded. "Ok I'll let you go but say hi to Sara first."

"Ok," I told her and realized how much I missed them. "I really miss her."

"And she misses you," Jen smiled, "Sar-Sar say hi to daddy quickly."

I laughed and heard a few gurgles on the line before Johnny reached me.

"Justin?"

"Hey Johnny," I whispered, holding my hand over the mouth piece. "Just a sec I'm just, uh, checking in on Sara."

"Ok," Johnny nodded and turned to Trace. I sighed and watched him for a moment before realizing Jen had come back on.

"Justin?"

"Hey Jen," I said, "Yeah Johnny's here so, I, uh, gotta go."

"Oh ok," she replied, "I love you."

"Uh," I paused and looked towards Johnny, he was still talking to Trace, so I was safe. "I love you too. Bye." I quickly snapped my phone shut and glanced up, noticing Johnny staring at me. "So shall we get started then?"


"Man you need to check yourself," Trace whispered in my ear as I sat down opposite Johnny and for the third time that day I fidgeted with my phone.

"So Justin," Johnny began and looked at me in that eerie way he did when he had to lecture me. "How are things with you and Jen?"

"Jen? Uh, they're fine why?" I asked him and licked my lips nervously, glancing at Trace as I did so. "Right T?"

"Yeah," Trace muttered, feeling uncomfortable with the situation I'd put him in.

"Good," Johnny smiled and shuffled though the papers before him. "Because I wanted to go over the contract with you."

"You did?" i asked and took a big gulp. "Why? Is there something wrong?"

"Well, no. I just wanted to remind you that the contract is up next year....." Johnny told me. I nodded and rubbed my palms together. "Look kid are you ok?"

"Yes I'm fine!" I said, my voice rising so much that Trace had to poke me in the side. "I mean yes. I was just thinking about that."

"You were?" Johnny asked and raised an eyebrow. I nodded and looked again at Trace.

"Well yeah. Because you know our anniversary is coming up and if we're going with the contract it means that this is the last one Jen and I have together and I wanted to make it um, special for her," I rambled and heard Trace gasp beside me before I relaized what I was doing. Oh crap.

"Special?" Johnny asked and frowned. "Justin it's just a contract. You don't have to... Look do I need to remind you of the terms of the contract?"

"No you don't!" I told him quickly. "Got it all in my head." I pointed to my temple and saw Trace shake his head at me as Johnny looked at me as if I was an alien or something.

" Sure you do. Look, is there something you wish to tell me? Trace?" Johnny looked at both Trace and I.

"No!" I said and nearly jumped out of my seat. "We have nothing to tell you!"

"J!" Trace muttered and I sunk back in my seat as Johnny glared at me, figuring out my game.

"Look kid," he began and rested his hands on the table, "I didn't want to say anything but Marcus and I have been noticing things... things between Jen and you and well....it just won't work."

"What won't work?" I asked, trying to make it seems as if I had no clue what he was going on about. Johnny sighed and shook his head.

"Justin," he said and sighed heavily, "Don't play games ok? I know what's been going on with you and Jen. You've not done a good job of hiding it." OH SHIT.

"Hiding what?" I said, I needed to draw this out as long as possible. I licked my lips and ran a hand through my hair. "I'm not hiding a thing!"

"You've fallen in love with her haven't you?" Johnny asked, totally catching me off guard.

"Me in love?" I asked laughing uneasily. "With Jen? She's not my type. I mean I like girls who are skinny..." I thought of Jen's gorgeous curves. "Blonde..." I thought of running my hands through Jen's thick black hair. "And um......"

How come I could think of all the good things about Jen, the things that made me go weak at the knees. But none of the bad stuff like.... OH SHIT.

"Justin..." Johnny shook his head and flipped to a page of the contract.

"Look Johnny..." I began but he cut me off.

"Justin, the contract clearly states that if either you or Jen show more than mutual feelings for each other..." he started and I cut him off.

"Then you'll pull the deal. Yeah I know," I sighed and rubbed my temples. "I'm not in love with her. We don't love each other."


After I left Johnny I felt myself being stressed out to the max. I took in a deep breath and tried to ignore Trace's inconsistent mutters.

"Man will you shut up?" I asked squinting closer to see the shiny jewelry through the glass. "I don't need your muttering ok? This is a hard enough decision as it is."

"Well then why are you buying it?" Trace asked with a huff and I rolled my eyes.

"If I have to explain it to you one more time..." I threatened but got cut off as the old store owner came back with the piece of jewelry in his hands.

"Here it is," he smiled and placed the piece before me on the counter. "The finest one we have."

"Great," I grinned and picked it up, observing it one last time before it went into it's box, just to make sure it was the right one. "It's perfect."

"Good," the man smiled and looked at Trace, "So should I wrap it up for you or would you like to see something else?"

"No," I told him, causing him to look back at me. "That'll be all."

"Okay then. I'll be right back," the old man smiled as I handed him my credit card and watched him process it through the till. I let out a long sigh as Trace looked at me with a skeptical look.

"Well for someone who just told Johnny he doesn't love Jen," Trace told me sarcastically and rolled his eyes. "That sure proved your point to a tee."

"Oh be quiet," I told him as the old man came back with a small black box.

"I'm just saying," Trace whispered back and grinned at the old man.

"Yeah well stop just saying," I hissed back and nodded at the old man who gave me he box.

"Here we go," the man told me and smiled. "Just sign here and you'll be good to go."

"Thanks," I nodded and looked over the receipt before signing it and passing it to the man.

"No problems. Have a nice day," he answered and I nodded before walking out the store, as Trace was still muttering in my ear. "DUDE STOP IT!"

"No," Trace snapped as we reached the car and climbed in.

"Why the hell not? You're giving me a headache," I told him and shook my head, this day was not supposed to be stressful. It was supposed to be relaxing and FUN.

"Because I thought the idea was not to let Johnny know how much you love Jen," Trace told me with a huff as I turned on the car.

"And your point would be?" I asked him angrily, pulling out of the parking spot.

"And my point is, that you buying a ten thousand dollar diamond ring is not helping with the plan," Trace said and leaned back. I looked at him and raised an eyebrow at him. "Look all I'm saying is that you should get her something a little less... extravagant."

"Extravagant? Is that what you think this is?' I asked him pointing to my breast pocket. "Well it's not okay. Yeah it might be a diamond and expensive but that's the point. It symbolizes that no matter what Jen is priceless to me ok? You can't put a price tag on her. And that's what I want to say with the ring and I think that does a pretty good job."

"Yeah but it also tells Johnny, look here I brought Jen an expensive birthday present even though I hate her," Trace pointed out.

"Fine," I gave in, finally getting his point, "I'll get her something a little less... expensive. Just so Johnny won't find out."

"Good," Trace smirked and crossed his arms across his chest. "And I know exactly what you can get."


"A puzzle?" I asked Trace and looked at him as if he was insane. "Yeah, that is so romantic."

"No. Not puzzle smart ass," Trace said smacking my shoulder as we pulled up outside the house. "A puzzle of a car."

"Yeah because that is so much better," I answered rolling my eyes and pulling into the garage and turning off the car.

"Dude," Trace sighed and stepped out the car. I followed suit and closed the garage doors. "You get her the puzzle of the car then hand her the keys to the actual car. It's sort of like a puzzle."

"Yes I figured that out," I told him before realizing what he actually said. "Wait, so I should buy her a car?"

"Duh," Trace laughed and slapped my back as we walked into the house.

"Ok," I nodded and walked into the kitchen. "So I get her a puzzle of a car then.."

"Then you wait for her reaction..." Trace continued.

"Why so she can shoot me?" I laughed and shook my head. "No thanks, why don't I just get her the car and forget about the bloody puzzle?"

"Man you're no fun!" Trace said and opened up the fridge to get himself a beer and passing me one. "It's called a surpise. You give her the puzzle, let wonder why you gave her a puzzle of a car with no car then... pause for dramatic effect.... you hand her the keys and let her go insane."

"Wow," I told him opening my drink. "That sounds... that just sounds stupid."

"It's called being romantic," Trace replied sarcastically rolling his eyes.

"Romantic? What weird up views do you have on romance?" I asked him, "That's just tacky."

"Come on man," Trace sighed and took a sip of his beer. "Just listen to me ok? She'll love it. Trust me."

"Ok," I told him and tried not to laugh in his face. "So what type of car do I get her smarty pants?"

"A Range rover. The new 2008 one. Didn't she say she wanted one?" he asked and I nodded.

"Yeah but we were just kidding around..." I began and Trace shook his head.

"I don't think she was man," Trace said, "You don't read women too well do you?"

"Well you're one to talk," I snapped back before realizing what I said. "Sorry."

"That's ok," Trace sighed and then let out a laugh. Man these people I was associated with were crazy. Laughing at all the serious stuff in their lives. I think they all need to be checked out.

"Are you okay?" I asked him and he looked at me. "Because both you and Jen seem to like laughing at all the serious stuff in your lives. Am I missing something?"

"No," he just shook his head. "You're just like me. Crap at reading women." Oh, I got it now.


September 12,2008


"Its my birthday!" Jen yelled jumping up and down on the bed. I rolled my eyes from down the hall and looked at Sara.

"I think Mommy is going crazy," I told the baby and smiled and Sara gurgled. I nodded and readjusted Sara on my hip before walking into the room to find Jen on the bed texting someone. "Happy Birthday Baby!"

"Hey," she said looking up.

"Say Happy Birthday to Momma Sara," I told Sara and watched as she just waved her arms and reached out for Jen. I passed her to Jen sitting her on Jen's lap. "This is for you."

"Thanks J, you could have wrapped it," Jen said examining the box with the bloody puzzle in it. I rolled my eyes. I hadn't even bothered wrapping it because well... it wasn't worth it. The bigger prize was waiting in the driveway.

"Just open it please," I told her, I wanted this to be over with so she didn't think I was crazy. She opened the box and emptied out the contents.

"Wow...a puzzle," she said unenthusiastically. Great, I knew this was a bad idea. I made a mental note to shoot Trace later.

"Here Sara and I will help you put it together," I said trying to get into it as well so she wouldn't get suspicious. I helped her with the puzzle and when we got half way through she finally got excited. I watched her put in the last piece and stare at the picture. Great now she had gone crazy. "Jen? Jen!"

"Huh?" She asked looking at me totally lost. I smiled and pulled out the key that was in my pocket. Holding it in front of her nose.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" She yanked the key out of my hands and handed me Sara before jumping off the bed and running down stairs. I rolled my eyes and laughed grabbing Sara and following Jen.

"Momma's definitely crazy," I told Sara as we walked down the stairs and out to the driveway to where Jen was standing staring at the black Range Rover parked in front of the house with a big bow around it.

"AHHHH...I CANT BELIEVE THIS IS MINE!" she said running to the car, causing me to laugh.

"I think mommy likes her gift."


"So did she like it?" Trace asked over the phone a bit later and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah," I said, I hated to admit that he'd had a good idea. "So are you guys ready to go out?"

"Yeah we're getting ready," Trace replied with a laugh and I cringed. He and Shelia had been spending wayyyyy to much time together. "So did I have a good idea or what?"

"You had a good idea," I grumbled and shuffled from foot to foot. Man this was uncomfortable.

"What? I didn't quite..."

"I said it was a good IDEA."


Later that night.


"Why are you always passed out after sex?" Jen asked laying on my chest later on than night after dinner and GREAT sex. I shrugged and tried to sleep before feeling Jen's finger run along my lips causing me to take a playful bite. "Ahhh...Ha Ha. No biting its my birthday."

"Do you want me to respond to that?" I laughed and she shook her head.

"No...I know you're going to say something dirty," she said causing me to laugh harder.

"Love you," I told her opening my eyes and running my hands up her back.

"Love you too," she smiled and I sighed. This was perfect. The perfect time to give her her ACTUAL gift.

"I have one more gift," I said reaching over to open the drawer and pulling out the small purple box I had been hiding all week, holding it in front of her.

"What could top a car?" she asked and I smiled.

"This," I said opening the box.

"Its beautiful," she whispered looking at it and allowing me to take her left hand and pull the old crummy ring off her finger.

"This ring symbolizes a meaningless agreement..." I told her showing her the old ring, "To tell you the truth I was so mad and confused about what was going on I picked out the first ring I saw." I smiled and tossed the old ring onto the table. "This ring...." I continued pulling the new ring out of the box. "Symbolizes love, trust, honesty and commitment. I love you Jennifer Hudson-Timberlake." I slipped the new ring on her finger and watched her for a moment as she looked at the ring then back at me, before kissing me.

"I love you too."


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story