CHAPTER FOURTEEN
JUSTIN.

"Jen!"

"I said I know Justin," Jen sighed climbing into bed the next day. I sighed and clambered in after her. This day had just gotten worse. I had woken up to Jen still being mad at me. We had gone out yesterday and Mr smart ass JC decided to come over and spill the beans on me by telling Jen the whole Hannah situation. I wondered how he found out anyway, because I definitely hadn't told him.

"I don't think you do," I told her and watched her pull the covers over her head. "Jen."

"Justin seriously... Just go to bed," Jen grumbled and swatted my hands away as I tried to pull down the covers.

"Fine," I snapped and grabbed a pillow from behind me before clambering off the bed. "If you'd rather listen to that moron JC then I'm sleeping on the couch!"

"He's not a moron," Jen called after me as I walked out of the room. I rolled my eyes and placed the pillow down on the couch before going in search of the spare sheets that lay in the cupboard, the whole time ignoring Jen.

Once I gotten comfortable I pulled out my phone and dialed Trace's number, this day was in need for an emergency call.

"Hello?" Trace sounded annoyed when he picked up the phone. I groaned and rolled my eyes.

"T? What are you doing?" I asked him and leaned back in the couch. "I hope you're not too busy because we have an emergency."

"What did you do this time?" Trace asked and I shook my head, why was he always thinking I did something?

"It's not what I did," I answered and looked over my shoulder. "It's what that moron JC did."

"What did he do now that can't wait till morning J?" Trace asked me angrily, "I'm kindda in the middle of...."

"He ruined my anniversary!" I cut him off before he could finish his sentence. "He decided to tell Jen about Hannah."

"Hannah?" Trace asked, suddenly sounding interested. I rolled my eyes.

"Yes," I snapped and rubbed my hand over my face. "He told her that I knew Hannah and broken into the house that day."

"How the fuck did he find out about that?" Trace asked me shocked.

"How do I know? I didn't tell him," I retorted, "And we are the only two who know about it. Wait, did you tell him?"

"Why would I? I don't even talk to him," Trace replied and I sighed. He was right, he and JC didn't even really get along.

"Well then how did he find out?" I asked Trace.

"Hell if I know," Trace muttered, "So what did Jen say?"

"She yelled at me," I answered and sighed. "She refused to even hear my side of the story!"

"Really?" Trace asked and I knew he didn't believe me. Well she did hear me but JC kept on butting in and telling her how I was not protecting her. He was also very persistent a few nights ago, even threatening me with my life if I didn't tell Jen about Hannah.

"Yes," I told him, "And then he proceeded to threaten me."

"He did what?" Trace laughed and I sighed.

"He threatened me ok? And it's not funny it's serious," I answered. "He told me I better tell her or he would have my life."

"He did not," Trace laughed harder.

"He did," I persisted as he continued to laugh at me. "Look, I called for some sympathy not for a few laughs ok? So if you're going to continue..."

"No no I'm sorry ok?" Trace sobered up, "So he threatened you?"

"Yeah he did," I answered and let out a long sigh. "I mean ok I should have told Jen but was it necessary for him to threaten me like that?"

"JC is an idiot," Trace stated and I nodded.

"Yeah he is," I agreed and felt my eyes closing. "God I need to sleep."

"Yeah you do that," Trace yawned from his end, "And try talk to Jen in the morning. When you're calmer."


So the next morning I woke up with a killer neck ache. I winced and rubbed the back of my neck just as Jen walked in.

"Hey," I grumbled and she rolled her eyes at me before walking into the kitchen to get a drink. I slowly got up and followed her. "Jen? Jen!"

"Don't yell at me Justin," Jen answered calmly pulling a bottle of water out of the fridge. "Have you packed yet?"

"Well I just got up... so no," I answered bitterly and rubbed my neck some more.

"What's wrong with your neck?" she asked, ignoring my tone and I stared at her. "Is it hurting?"

"No. I just like to rub it," I rolled my eyes at her and turned to leave.

"Justin." I felt her hand on my arm and stood still for a moment.

"What?" I asked her.

"Let me take a look at it ok?" she said and placed her free hand on the nape of my neck, causing me to flinch in pain. "I'll rub it with some cream."

"Yeah ok," I gave in and sat down on the nearest chair, allowing her to rub my neck for a bit. We didn't speak for a long time, but after a few minutes she stopped rubbing.

"Uh, I think the cream's in the bedroom," she said hesitantly and pulled her hand away. I nodded and dared not move as I heard her walk away and call to me a few moments later. "Justin?"

I got up and slowly made my way to the bedroom.

"Yeah?" I asked as I entered the room to find her sitting on the bed with a bottle of cream in her hand.

"Sit," she instructed softly and tapped the spot on the bed beside her. I nodded and silently made my way over to her to sit down.

"So.." I began as she applied the cool cream to the back of my neck. "Did you call mamma and Sara?"

"Yeah," she answered slowly, probably wondering where I was going with this. "Told them when we'll be in."

"Cool," I nodded and winced as a pain shot down my back. "Crap."

"Did I hurt you?" Jen asked concerned and I shook my head.

"No, just pain," I answered and looked down at my feet.

"Oh," she said and finished applying the cream,"Uh, I'll help you pack up."

"You don't have to," I said quickly getting up but then sitting back down again as a pain shot through my back.

"Yeah I do," she whispered and got off the bed before grabbing my bag from the closet and filling it up with clothes.


When we got home the first thing I did was grab Sara from Jen and run out the door to meet Trace. I knew Jen wasn't that happy when I did but I needed to be around my daughter and best friend, not my wife.

"Man you're an idiot," Trace told me the moment Sara and I stepped though the door. I rolled my eyes at him and placed Sara down on the floor with her stuffed giraffe. "If you want Jen to stop being mad at you then you shouldn't have kidnapped her child."

"She's my daughter too," I argued and made a funny face at Sara, getting her to laugh. "Besides I haven't seen the kid in a week."

"Neither has Jen," Trace pointed out.

"Yeah I know," I said and got out Sara's blanket so she could sit on something clean. "But you know."

"No I don't," he said and helped me spread the blanket then picked up Sara and placed her on the blanket. "I thought the plan was to get Jen to talk to you again?"

"And she is," I replied with a smug grin, Trace rolled his eyes.

"Well she won't anymore," he grumbled, I just rolled my eyes back.


I think Trace can read minds or something, because when we got back to the house Jen grabbed Sara from me and locked herself in the nursery. I followed and tried to break in.

"Jen!"

"Go away Justin!" She yelled back and I heard her singing again. I sighed and kicked the door. "Don't do that!"

"Sorry!" I apologized. "But we need to talk! So open up!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Fine!" I snapped and walked away, but turned back around again quickly and listened. There was silence. "Jen?"

This time she didn't answer, she knew I was being annoying and was playing with it. I sighed and lent against the wall before sliding down and sitting there for most of the night.


"Justin!" I was shaken awake violently and opened my eyes.

"W-wha?" I asked and saw Jen standing over me with concern on her face.

"Have you been sitting out here all this time?" she asked and I checked my watch. It was the next day even.

"You didn't come out," I told her and tried to get up, but winced as I felt a pain shoot up my spine. "We need to talk."

"First the couch, then the plane, then the floor?" she asked helping me up, "Are you trying to paralyze yourself?"

"Well at this rate.." I grumbled.

"You need to be in a bed to cushion your back," she told me.

"But!" I protested and stopped short as she tried to pull me away.

"What?" she asked and placed a hand on her hip.

"I wanna see Sara," I said and Jen sighed.

"She's not here," she replied bluntly and I felt my face fall. "Your mom came and picked her up a few minutes ago. She told me to wake you up and put you to bed."

"Why didn't you wake me up then?" I asked angry that mamma had come and gone without me ever knowing.

"Because you looked tired and I didn't want to fight in front of your mother," Jen snapped, "Now go to bed and stop complaining."

"I'm not..." I began and she shook her head.

"Just go ok?" she asked pleadingly, "Please? For me and Sara?" And so I went without much of a fight anyways.


So I finally figured it out, Jen just wanted me to get angry but she refused to fight. I think she was just either a) tired or b) fed up with me. I figured she was just fed up with me. When I woke up for the second time that day I got a call, and it was from Johnny.

"Justin!"

"Yes?" I asked wearily sitting up and rubbing my eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Johnny boomed.

"Tell you what?" I asked, because I was completely lost.

"Tell me about the break in," Johnny replied.

"What are you talking about? I told you about it as soon as it happened," I answered even more confused, because I had told him the minute it happened.

"Yes," Johnny replied eerily calm. "But you didn't tell me about Hannah." Then I knew JC needed to be shot.

"JC told you didn't he?" I asked sarcastically. "I knew he would, he has a habit of running his mouth lately."

"At least he informed me," Johnny answered not even bothering to deny it. "Unlike some people. Why didn't you tell me Justin? We could have handled it."

"I didn't know she would go berserk on me," I answered angrily. "I'm not psychic you know."

"What do you mean berserk?" Johnny asked, now he was lost.

"Oh didn't JC tell you?" I asked with a snap. "Or did he only tell you what an ass I was to Jen? He likes doing that."

"What do you mean berserk?" Johnny asked again, totally ignoring my JC comment.

"She was pushing herself on me ok?" I answered finally, "And when I told her to bugger off she snapped and went after my family."

"So why didn't you tell me?" Johnny asked sympathetically, I wondered why he was so concerned all of a sudden.

"I did," I lied, "Actually I told Trace and Tiny. They said you knew."

"Well I didn't," Johnny answered, going back to being angry. He was getting annoyed with my tone.

"Well I'm surprised," I said, "After we banned her from coming anywhere near me or Jen. I thought you'd notice."

"Well I didn't," Johnny snapped back, "So don't snap at me, I have enough on my plate worrying about your behavior with Jen."

"What behavior?" I asked now confused.

"You've been real gittery every time I ask about her," Johnny answered, "And I was wondering..."

"Well don't," I answered, "Because there's nothing to worry about ok? Just the fact that JC can't keep his trap shut."

"Don't speak about him like that Justin," Johnny warned, "At least he's concerned about you and Jen." Then I laughed.

"Concerned?" I asked, now I was going insane. "Really? Is that what we're calling it these days?"

"What would you call it?" Johnny wanted to know, "He told me that he was concerned because Hannah had broken into the house and that you had found out about it."

"Oh he did?" I said not believing a word, "Sure he did."

"He did," Johnny reaffirmed, "He also added that we should do something about security so it wouldn't happen again."

"Uh huh," I nodded and yawned, "What else did he lie about?"

"Justin!" Johnny yelled. "Look I know you don't really believe that JC is truly concerned about your safety but he is ok? That's why he told me he said you wouldn't believe him if he told you himself."

"Well he was right," I answered, "Because I don't."


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story