CHAPTER TWENTY.
JUSTIN.


Okay I was feeling guilty; I’ll admit that but when Jen left the room to check on Sara I let out a long sigh. So much for me trying to tell her. I know I’d promised Trace would but it was so damn hard; especially with the new developments.

The signs were there. Her breasts were tender and she was being moody. She was pregnant. I smiled to myself and leaned back against the pillows.

“Why you smiling?” Jen asked; walking back into the room and climbing into bed next to her. I shrugged and leaned over to kiss her.

“Just thinking about how lucky I am,” I said and kissed her again. That part was true I was.

“So what you up to tomorrow?” she asked me and I shrugged. I hadn’t thought that far.

“I don’t know,” I replied and kissed her again. “But I know what I’m up to tonight.”


I woke up the next morning and Jen was gone. I groaned and looked at the clock; it was seven am. Where the hell was she?

I sat up in bed and listened, but the whole house seemed to be eerily quiet. Even the sounds of Sara sleeping through the monitor couldn’t be heard. I got up and pulled on a pair of pants that just happened to be laying by the bed and stood up; stretching my sore muscles.

I headed out the room; grabbing the portable phone as I did so and headed down the stairs. I wasn’t even half way down when I heard them; Sara giggling at something and Jen laughing right alongside her. I smiled; but it soon faded when I heard his voice.

“I swear Jen you’re pregnant,” Charles’ voice drifted up the stairs and into my ears. I growled; so that’s why she and Sara were up so early. Charles was here.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Jen answered, “I’ve been taking my pills religiously. I CAN’T be.”

“Well from what you’ve told me…” Charles began and I knew I had to stop him right then and there. I didn’t want to know what Jen had divulged to him and I sure as hell was going to make sure she knew it. I didn’t hear the rest of his sentence as I flew down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“Da-Da!” Sara greeted me as I skidded to a halt just in the doorway. I looked up and grinned at her; ignoring Jen and Charles’ shocked expressions.

“Hey munchkin,” I said and walked over to pick her up. I tried to even out my breathing so Jen wouldn’t come suspicious. “What are you and mommy doing up so early?”

“Charles!” Sara practically screamed in my ear and I groaned. Yes, I could see that. I could also see Sara was very excited and had to remind myself to keep in check.

“Yeah,” I nodded and walked over to Jen. “Morning baby.”

“Morning,” she smiled as she kissed me on the lips. “Charles came by so we could have a workout session.”

“At seven am?” I asked her with wide eyes and she laughed. Ok, I know it sounded silly especially when I got up at six to do my workout; on most days anyways. “I mean; ok but why is Sara awake? What time did you get here anyways?” I looked directly at Charles; who seemed to think this made him very important.

“Six,” he smiled and winked at Jen. Okay hold up! What’s with the winking? Does he have a weak eye or something?

“Yeah and Sara just got up,” Jen added and took Sara from me. She was obviously not fazed by the whole winking thing. Ok, I needed to get my jealousy in check; but the guy just winked at my wife!

“Charles do you have something in your eye?” I asked; ignoring Jen’s last statement. Jen looked at me in shock and leaned forward to slap my shoulder; but I moved out of the way.

“No why?” Charles asked and smiled at me. He was playing the game too I could see. Well fine; I can do that.

“Because you seem to be winking at my wife a lot,” I told him straight out and I heard Jen gasp in embarrassment but I didn’t care. It was JC all over again. “I just thought you wanted her to take a look at it or something. Jen?” I looked at Jen and she had turned beet red. Ok; so why was she always acting like that?

“Um…” Jen began but Charles cut in.

“No it’s okay,” he smiled again and glared at me. “I don’t need her to look at it; she’s looked at me too much today.”

“Why you…” I began and didn’t realize I’d said it out aloud until I felt Jen’s hand on my arm as I lunged forward to strangle him.

“Look I better go,” Charles said quickly; and I saw a hint of fear flash across his face. Yeah run boy, run fast. “See you tomorrow Jen. Same time?”

“Yeah,” Jen nodded as she held me back and Charles ran out the door.

“Same time for what?” I called after him; only to receive a huge slap as soon as the door shut. “What?”

“Justin!” Jen said in aspiration as I turned to look at her and I gave her the ‘what?’ look. “You’re so rude!”
“Why? Because that’s the second guy that’s tried to hit on my wife in my presence?” I asked her, “What is it with everyone?”


“What do you mean the hospital?” I asked and looked at Trace who gave me a shrug. “Since when?”

“This morning,” Charles answered from the other end of the line and I groaned. I knew it. “We were working out and she…”

“Ok,” I interrupted him and let out a low growl. “Tell her I’ll be there in a bit ok?”

“Ok,” he answered, “I’ll let her know you’re coming.”

“Good,” I answered and snapped the phone shut before he could mutter anything else. “I have to go.” I stood up abruptly and Trace raised an eyebrow at me. “Jen’s at the hospital.”

“What?” Trace asked shocked and I nodded as he got up. “I’ll come with you; just let me call Sheila and give her the 411.”

“Yeah ok,” I told him and began looking for my keys as he typed up a message on his blackberry. “Where the hell are my keys?”

“On the counter,” Trace replied without looking up and I glanced in the direction of the kitchen counter to see a sparkle coming off it.

“Okay. Let’s go,” I said and headed for the door. It was only when I was half way out that I realized Trace was not following me. “Dude!”

“What?” Trace called; still staring at his phone.

“Are you coming or what?” I asked; this got him to look up. He looked confused; I rolled my eyes at him. “Jen? Hospital?”

“Oh yeah!” He said and quickly put away his phone before following me. I groaned; LOUDLY. “Let’s go.”

“Finally,” I said dramatically as we reached my car. “It’s about damn time.”


“JEN?” I was acting like a craze and Trace just rolled his eyes as I frantically ran down the hallways of the hospital looking for my wife. But could you blame me? The last time I’d been there she’s been in an accident; on the verge of death. “JEN?”

“Calm the fuck down,” Trace muttered and grabbed the back of my shirt as his phone rang. “You’re acting like a loonie.”

“But I need to find her,” I panted; not even realizing that Trace was still holding onto my shirt and reading a new text message he’d received.

“Let’s go,” he said and hauled me towards the exit. I felt like screaming; where was he taking me?

“Where the hell are you taking me?” I demanded and glared at him. He rolled his eyes and stopped two doors before the exit. Pushing the door open quickly. I felt like a damn idiot.

“Justin!” Jen’s face lit up when she saw Trace and I; she was lying in a hospital gown on a gurney. She looked perfectly healthy. I pulled away from Trace and bolted for her side.

“Jen!” I said and wrapped my arms around her, “I was so worried.”

“I’m sorry,” she replied and I pulled away to kiss her. “I didn’t mean to worry you.”

“Don’t worry about it,” I smiled and looked around the room. Charles wasn’t there and I was glad. “What did the doctor’s say?”

“I think you better sit down,” she smiled and I looked at her questionably. She nodded and I obeyed. “I’m pregnant.”

“WHAT?” I asked; okay so it wasn’t the reaction I should have gone for but for all those nights hoping she was I didn’t actually expect her to be pregnant. I thought all that stuff I saw in the movies (where I’d gotten all my stupid ideas from) were just that; stupid ideas. I never thought it would actually work.

“I’m pregnant,” she repeated even slower and looked at me curiously; I noticed Shelia standing by Trace in the doorway and pulling him out just before Jen spoke again. “Aren’t you happy?”

“What? I mean yes of course!” I grinned and hugged her again. “Are you serious? I mean are they sure?”

“Yeah they’re sure,” Jen laughed with relief and I smiled.

“That’s great!” I said and kissed her. “We’re gonna have a baby!”


“It’s a boy,” I told Jen a few weeks later as I held my hand over her belly. She laughed and ran a hand though my curls.

“Why are you so sure?” she asked and I sat up; shrugging. She smiled at me before placing a kiss on my lips. “Are you sure we can do this?”

“Of course,” I told her and kissed her back, “After all we’ve been taking care of Sara pretty good right?”

“Well I’d say we’re doing better than good,” Jen smiled and looked over to the monitor in hopes of hearing Sara wake up from her nap already. “I think she’s gonna be happy to have someone else other than us to play with.”

“Well she has Trace,” I suggested with a wicked grin and Jen laughed.

“Yeah she does,” she smiled and looked up at me, “I’m glad we’re doing this.”

“Me too,” I told her and kissed her again. “Me too.”


“Baby!” Sara squealed placing a hand over Jen’s belly; making us both laugh. We’d finally got round to telling her the good news and she seemed very happy. “Baby!”

“Yeah baby,” I smiled and picked her up; kissing the top of her head. “Come on Munchkin mamma’s gotta rest and we’ve got to have a bath.”

“No bath!” she protested and I rolled my eyes. Ever since Sara had learnt how to talk the word ‘NO’ was a big thing in her vocabulary.

“I wonder where she got that word from,” Jen laughed and I groaned and pulled Sara into the other room where I’d set up her bath.

“Must have been Trace,” I muttered and smiled at Sara, “I don’t think you should be hanging around Uncle T anymore.”

“Tee?” she asked totally confused and looked at me as if I’d gone mad.

“Never mind,” I muttered and sat her on the counter top, “Arms up.”

For a two year old she was very cleaver; she understood exactly what Jen and I were telling her and we never had to tell her something twice. She complied and lifted her arms in the air; giggling when I tickled her before removing her small sweater.

“Da-da!” Sara squealed and I looked at her.

“Yeah baby?” I smiled and lifted her into the tub; she shrieked as the water hit her skin but calmed down once I ran the cloth over her.

“Baby!” She screamed again and I laughed. Yeah; we were really having a baby.


“Justin!” I snapped out of my daydream and tried to focus on the voice coming from the phone.

“Yeah Johnny?” I asked my manager, sitting back in the chair I’d just vacated and looked across the room to where Jen was playing with Sara on the floor.

“Did you even hear a word I said?” Johnny asked and I could hear the accusation running through his voice. I winced; because let’s face it I hadn’t heard a word he’d uttered to me.

“Sure,” I lied and rolled my eyes as I checked my watch. This was taking longer than expected.

“Good,” he snapped and I wondered why he was so moody. “Because I EXPECT you to get rid of it.”

“What?” I asked; now I was totally lost. He sighed and I could tell he was at the end of his rope.

“The baby,” he answered and I slowly got everything clicked into place. I was an idiot.

“What baby?” I asked pretending to play dumb. That was always the best way to go. How did he find out anyways? We hadn’t even told my mother.

“Jen’s baby,” he replied angry that I’d obviously forgotten. “The baby that’s she’s having with you.”

“We’re not having a baby,” I lied because he really didn’t know how intimate Jen and my relationship was. “I mean I don’t even really like her. I’m just riding this thing out until…”

“Don’t lie to me boy!” Johnny snapped in my ear and I stopped abruptly. He knew about that too? Damn, could I not keep one little secret from him now?

“How did you find out?” I asked; referring to both the
baby and Jen and mine relationship.

“Charles…” he began and I wanted to throw something across the room. I should have guessed.

“Charles?” I asked; why I have no clue. I knew it was his weasel ass all along. He never did like me. “Did he suggest to you that we get rid of the baby as well?”

“What?” Johnny asked; clearly shocked at my admittance. I sighed angrily and looked over to Jen. She had luckily not even noticed me yelling. “No. He did not suggest anything so absurd.”

“Then who did?” I wanted to know. I wouldn’t be surprised if the guy had come up with the idea himself. “Because you can tell them it’s out of the question.”

“Justin…” Johnny began but I shook my head.

“No Johnny. This time I’m not budging ok? What you’re asking me to do is inhumane,” I spat and rubbed my forehead with my palm. “There is no way I’m going to put either Jen or Sara through that. So you can forget it.”

“But what about your career?” Johnny asked angrily, “Do you really think this is the best time for you to become a father?”

“I already am a father,” I reminded him. “And why not huh? Won’t it help with my image?”

“Justin it’s not that…” Johnny began but I didn’t want to hear it. The guys had been telling me all along that all this man wanted was money and maybe they were right. All he saw me as was a big green piece of paper. Some father figure.

“You know what Johnny?” I asked him, “I don’t give a shit.”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story