Story Notes:
This is probably my favorite short story that I have written. Hope ya'll like it.

Lying here with you
I watch you while you sleep
The dawn is closing in
With every breath you breathe

He stared at her sleeping form, curled against him. Her eyelashes resting against her porcelain skin, her face nuzzled into his shoulder. Her whole body enveloped in his arms.

He shifted a little, making sure not to wake her, and placed a few soft kisses on her face before resting his cheek against her forehead with a sigh. His right arm was snaked underneath her, and around her back in a way that allowed him to lazily trace a pattern up and down her arm and shoulder.

He lived for moments like these. Those rare times in the early morning where he awoke first and could marvel at the perfection of them. He was amazed at how they completed each other.

After kissing her once more he glanced at the clock, 9AM. They had two glorious hours left on this bright Sunday morning before they would need to be at church, and he debated whether or not to spend another hour of that in bed. Ultimately he decided it was time to get up. Carefully and reluctantly he left the bed and slid the blankets back over her. He picked his sweat-pants up off the floor and pulled them on before creeping out of the room.

I can feel the change
The change you made in me
But will I ever see
All the things you see in me

Making his way down the hall he heard the faint sound of the television on his the living room. He tiptoed down the stairs and smiled at the sight of his five year old daughter, lying on her stomach watching cartoons, completely oblivious to his presence. Very slowly he crept up behind her and when he was close enough he dropped to his knees beside her, and began to tickle her sides.

Giggles filled the air, as she squealed for him to stop. Finally he pulled his daughter into his arms in a big bear hug as he stood.

"How about some breakfast lil Miss?" he asked her, and she nodded in response.

"Wheres Mommy?"

"Shhh, Mommy is still sleepin" he held his finger to his lips, "Why don't we make her breakfast in bed?"

"Yea!" the little girl smiled "Scambled egg and bacon!"

Soon enough, a half hour had passed and their breakfast was cooked and placed on a tray.

"Now you wait here, and I'll go wake Mommy up ok?" He kissed his daughters forehead and made his way up the stairs to the bedroom. He pushed open the door and crossed the room to the bed, slowly he set his weight down on the end of the bed and crawled on his knees up the length of it eventually hovering above his wife.

"Baby, wake up." He whispered, and gently leaned his weight on her, curling his arms around her, all the while using his whispers to rise her from her rest. Slowly but surely her eyes opened and with a tender smile she gazed up at him.

When you say that I'm one of a kind
Baby, I don't see it, but you believe
That I'm so strong and true, I promise you
I'll try to be that kind of man
Because you love me like I am

He kissed her lips repeatedly. "Good morning Baby." His lips curved into a smile against hers.

"I'll say," she replied, a laugh escaped her lips. "Good morning to you too." Her hands reached up to hold his face still and she gazed into his eyes before pulling him down for a kiss she could control.

After a moment he lifted his head up, "I have a surprise for you." He pulled his body up on his knees and got lost in a smile when she sat up and he could see that she was wearing a shirt of his. Six years of marriage and eight years of being together, but there were still some sights he never got enough of.

"You do huh?" Her voice pulled him out of his thoughts and he grinned at the sight of her arms crossed over her chest with her eyebrows raised.

He climbed off the bed, and started to leave the room, when she started to get out of bed too, he held his hand up and quickly stepped back toward her,

"Nope, you stay right here" he pulled back the bed sheets and nudged her backwards onto the bed again. He leaned over her, with one hand on her thigh and the other on her cheek,

"Relax." His head dipped down to kiss her and he pulled the blankets over her legs. She shook her head from side to side.

"Justin, what are you up to?" she asked.

With a wink and a smile tossed over his shoulder he left the room.

When it comes to love
I may not know the rules
But there's one thing I know
My heart belongs to you

By 10AM they were finishing up breakfast and she rose from her place in bed and began to reach for the tray. His hand reached out and stopped,

"I'll get it Babe" he grabbed it before she could protest, and he leaned in to whisper in her ear,

"I'll meet you in the shower." He winked and kissed her cheek before leaving the room. She shook her head with a laugh and reached for their daughters hand, he could hear her as he walked down the hall

"Daddy's silly, yes he is." and he smiled, "come on Girly, lets get you ready for church."

He busied himself in the kitchen with placing the dishes in the dishwasher, and when he walked past the living room he glanced in to see his little girl in her Sunday best watching 'Alice in Wonderland.' He climbed the steps two at a time and walked into the bedroom chuckling to himself when he heard the shower running. he stripped himself of his sweat-pants and climbed into the shower.

You show me you love me
With a fire, that burns deep inside

Hours later, well after the sun had set, a mother sat beside her daughters bed reading to her while a father stood just outside the door admiring the scene before him. He turned and crossed the hall to his room turning on the television and settling on the bed to wait for his wife.

Time passed, and suddenly he was waking up to a set of arms being wrapped around him and a kiss placed on his surprised lips.

"Thank you for this morning." her voice sounded like heaven to his ears.

He pulled on her arm so that she would climb on top of him and he put his hands on her thighs that now rested on either side of his hips.

"Thank you for every day." He replied and instinctively his eyes locked with hers.

She leaned down to kiss him and his arms wrapped around her to cuddle her close. She giggled into his lips at his actions.

"I love you." he whispered.

"I love you." She replied.

When you say that I'm one of a kind
Baby, I don't see it, but you believe
That I'm so strong and true, I promise you
I'll try to be that kind of man
Because you love me like I am

Hours later he sighed in his thoughts as he stared down at her sleeping form cradled in his arms.

His angel in a baggy men's t-shirt.

He kissed her forehead and settled into a comfortable position before closing his eyes.

He lived for moments like these. Those times late at night when, after a long day he could drift into a peaceful sleep with her in his arms, knowing how much they completed eachother.

Chapter End Notes:
"Like I Am" -Rascal Flatts

Completed
Ally is the author of 22 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Like I Am also liked 351 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story