The sun was high and a warm breeze flowed through a silver BMW as it cruised down the highway. Who knew such a beautiful day could be such a treacherous one. Justin peeked in his rear view mirror at the snoozing toddler in the backseat. Look at him. So peaceful. So unsuspecting. Justin tightened his grip on the steering wheel as he coasted around a curb. What was that! oh. It was just his phone. He forgot he put it on vibrate the moment he strapped Taylor into his seat.

"Hey baby." He said into his blackberry.

"Why are you whispering?"

"He's asleep."

"Ooooh, so you're not there yet."

"Almost."

"Well, I'll be home by the time you two get back. So what do you two want for dinner?"

"Yeah right, like we're actually gonna make it out of here alive."

"Oh quit worrying. How is he gonna stay calm if you're panicking?"

"I know it's just...I hate this! Needles make me squirmy."

"You make it sound like you're the one that's getting a booster."

"Well I feel bad for him. When I was his age mom said I gave the family doctor two black eyes and a busted lip when she took me to have my shots."

"What have I told you about saying the 'D' word."

"Don't say doctor I know-"

"Sssshhhhhh stop saying it! What if he hears you."

"He's asleep."

"What if he's faking."

Justin took another look at his son in the mirror. His head was crooked over to the side and his lips pursed as he let out little snores.

"He's knocked out."

"Well you still shouldn't say it. The 'S' word either."

"You mean Shot?"

"Stop it!"

"And you told me not to panic?"

"Look, I'm just trying to make this easier for you. You know how he gets."

"I know. Okay, pray for us we're here."

"Remember stay calm."

"Suuuure we will."

"Love you honey, good luck."

"Hey!"

"What?"

"Chicken."

"Sure, I'll heat the pan and when you get home you can just hop in."

"Haha smartass."

"Byyyye"

He hit the end button and pulled into a park. His eyes roamed over the large sign in front of the brick building.

Dr. Mathews Pediatrician

Justin took a deep breath and got out. "Okay little man." He said unbuckling Taylor from his car seat. The toddler rubbed his eyes and latched onto his father as they strolled inside.

"Hi! How are you today?" A perky red haired woman sat behind a desk beaming at the two.

"Hi how you doin. We have an appointment for three o'clock."

"Name!"

"Timberlake..."

She searched her computer.

"Taylor!" She grinned. "Well, all you need to do is fill these out right here." She said handing him some forms on a clipboard. "Here's a pen and you can have a seat right over there."

Justin thanked her and had a seat over in the waiting area. "Name...Address....Form of Payment." Taylor began to squirm as he woke up. "Hey!" Justin greeted. "You have a good nap big man?" He gleamed bouncing the toddler a little. Taylor yawned and then peered around the office with his sleepy eyes. "All done." Justin chirped finishing the forms. He held Taylor in one arm as he returned the clipboard to the secretary. "And DoCtOr Mathews will be with you in just a few minutes!" The red head blaired. Taylor's eyes widened. Doctor? Who was at the Doctor. Oh no he wasn't!

Justin caught the terrified look on his son's face.

"Hey buddy! How bout we play with the choo choo twain!" He tried to recover.

He sat Taylor on the bright rainbow carpet with the other children who were all cluelessly playing with blocks and puzzles in bliss.

"Look Taylor! Look! Choooo! Chooo!" Justin sqealed enthusiastically. But Taylor didn't seem very interested. Instead he kept watching the door. He knew that door. It was...THAT door. The one that led to that place. To the beyond.

"C'mon Taytay, look here we go! You like blocks! Let's play with the blocks!" Justin strained placing one in Taylor's hand. But the baby wasn't having it. This place was evil and he knew damn well. No sir. His eyes stayed locked on the door.

"Look Taylor!" Justin beamed forcing himself into Taylors view. Taylor glanced over the funny looking ears on his daddy's head. Justin had found a bright orange Tigger hat in the stuffed animals bin. "They're bouncy, trouncy, founcy, pouncy fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers IS IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'm the only one!" Justin sang animatedly.

The other parents in the waiting area clapped as their children also enjoyed the song. That is everyone except Taylor. Suddenly the door cracked and Taylor's eyes grew to the size of saucers. "Maccon!" A woman in a long white coat called a name and in an instant Taylor watched as the baby sitting next to him was swooped up and taken...back there. And he knew. He just knew. If he didn't vacate he'd be next.

He bumbled about getting to his feet. So good so far. He waddled a few steps and then glanced about. Perfect. Inconspicuous was just how he liked it. He took a few more steps now picking up the pace. The door! The Door! He could see it! He-.

"Whoa where you think you're goin little man?" Justin cooed swooping him up. "Can't go out there." Taylor's eye twitched in frustration. "Come over here and play with this racecar. It's so cool." Justin coaxed. He sat Taylor back on the carpet with the other kids. "Play nice." Justin said handing him the car. Taylor peered at it. What was this like the steak they give to prisoners on death row before the big shebang? The last play?! He tossed the car on the carpet and twisted in his puffy diaper to see his daddy having a seat with the other parents. He was running out of time.

A little boy with brown hair peered at him and then picked up the race car from the carpet. Ever so politely the little boy handed Taylor the car and ever so rudely Taylor snatched it from his hand and threw it back down. No you fool! "Taylor, uh-uh." Justin called to him. Taylor peered at his daddy. "Be nice." Justin warned giving him the spanky look. He hated the spanky look but not as much as he hated the spanky itself. But how was he supposed to act? He was currently being held captive in toddler lockdown awaiting god only knew what behind that door with a bunch of clueless-

"Timberlake." Oh no! It was too late. A man wearing a long white coat was smiling in the doorway. No! No! "C'mon lil man that's you." Justin scooped Taylor up in his arms and proceeded back...back into...the beyond. Taylor peeked over his daddy's neck at the other children playing on the carpet. Remember me as I was.

"Well helloooo!" The doctor greeted merrily. "Mr. Timberlake!" He shook Justin's hand. "How ya doin sir." "You'cn come right on back here." "Alright then." "Boy! Taylor you have gotten big since the last time I saw you!" Yeah whatever. The doctor closed the door behind them cutting off all hope of escape. Taylor held Justin's neck in a death grip. "What's wrong stinky?" Justin wooed. Taylor simply burried his face deep in his daddy's neck as they made their way down the long grey hall way. "Right in here." The doctor invited leading them into a room. Taylor peeked around. So this was the torture chamber. A picture of a group of clowns hung on the wall. They were all smiling. Just smiling. What were they smiling at? Taylor quickly dug his face back into his daddy's neck. Oh the horror!

"Alright now if you'll just have a seat over here Mr. Timberlake and you can set Mr. Taylor right over here on this table." Justin began to pry Taylor from his neck and the toddler started to whine. "Or you can just hold on to him until we finish the question part." "Yeah that'll work." Justin nodded sitting next to the Doctor's desk. "Okay, have you noticed any allergies?" "Nope" "Any? Last time he? Everything's okay with?" "Yup! U-huh. Yeah. Pretty good." Taylor listened as the two went back and forth. "Okay then Taylor! Let's get this ball rollin! And I know you're a big boy so this should be no sweat for a tough guy like you!" The doctor joked giving Taylor little pokes in the ribs.

"Just need you to have seat on the table." The doctor signaled to Justin. Taylor tightened his grip around his daddy's neck. "Okay stinky sit right here." Taylor let out small cries as he struggled to hang on. "C'mon Taylor. Be daddy's big boy." Taylor fought for a moment longer before finally losing his grip. "There ya go!" Justin beamed successfully setting the baby on the examination table. "See there's nothing in here to hurt you." Justin conforted as Dr. Mathews fiddled with some tools over the counter. Taylor reached out his arms to be picked up again. "It's okay littleman, dOcTOr Mathews just wants to-" Taylor's eyes widened and Justin's breath caught in his throat. Shit. He didn't mean to say it. He just wasn't thinking.

Dr. Mathews dabbed a cold wet cotton ball on Taylor's arm. "No-Taylor-it's okay-don't-" Justin tried to calm his son down as his face had turned completely red and tears were rolling down his cheeks. "It's okaaay." Justin soothed. "Oky Doky Taylor this won't hurt a bit!" Oh hell to the no! Dr. Mathews had fucked up then when he twirled around with that big ass needle in his hand. It had to be a mile long! It was enough to make Justin quiver himself. Just where was he gonna put that? In who did he plan on sticking that! At the moment both father and son were glaring at the doctor in absolute shock. Taylor let out a series of huffs. It was time to get it started.

Justin shifted his eyes to Taylor and suddenly everything seemed to be moving in slow motion. He could see it. The look on his son's face. It was the look of hyperdrive. "Taylor-nononononono-" Taylor took in a deep breath and sounded the alarm. He released a shrill scream loud enough to shatter glass.

The parents in the waiting room as well as their children and the red head at the front desk all paused what they were doing to listen. It was like a chain reaction. One by one all the children dropped their toys and went into fit mode. "No honey." "Brian sweety its okay" "Amanda don't cry." The parents all tried to calm their children. The secretary quickly got up to see what was going on. When she got back to the back her mouth gaped open. Nurses, doctors, even a vendor who was only stopping to refill the lays potato chips in the candy machine were all rushing towards one room. "Just hold him down! Hold him down!" "Hey! Watch it! You're being to rough!" "Hold his arm! Hold his arm!" "If you break my son's arm I WILL FUCK you up!" She heard voices blairing from the room. Quickly she dashed down the hall with everyone else to see.

"What in heaven's name!" She gasped. That entire room was destroyed. Cottom balls, swabs, disinfecting liquid, bandaids, laytex gloves were everywhere. The brown leather of the examination table was slashed in numerous places exposing the cotton beneath. Chairs were flipped over. Nurses and doctors were crowded into the room all fussing over one thing. Even the vendor man was hopping about frantically.

"Hold him!" "I am holding him you dumbass!" The secretary broke through the crowd to see Dr. Mathews and Justin squirming about on the ground. Taylor was kicking and jerking about as if he were having an epileptic fit. "Taytay hold still it doesn't hurt I promise!" Justin grunted trying to hold down his son. For a two year old he packed some punch. It was almost as if Taylor had suddenly possessed superhuman strength. The fear had damn near turned him into the incredible hulk baby.

 "NOOOOOOOOOOOO-HO-HO-HO-HA-HAHA! AAAAAAAAEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!" He screamed. The old saying was true. Big things really did come in small packages. And that included big lung capacity. Taylor threw a kick at Dr. Mathews and his glasses fell lopsided. "You are not holding him tight enough!" The Doctor yelped with the lense missing from one of his frames. "You move too slow! Just do it already!" Justin yelled. Three other doctors rushed in to hold a leg while two nurses and the vendor man held his arms and chest.

Taylor was getting short winded when he saw the needle again. "AAAAEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!" He screamed again, but he was beginning to get very tired. And with all the people holding him he just couldn't fight anymore. He was exhausted. He was...defeated. "EEEEEEEEEEE!" He screamed one last scream of terror before Dr. Mathews penetrated his skin with the needle. Taylor's face was soaked with sweat and tears as he glared up at his daddy pitifully. Justin peered back down at him sympathetically. He knew. He was ready to get the hell out of there too.

Finally Dr. Mathews removed the needle and everyone in the room sighed. The deed was done and Taylor lied on the floor lifelessly. Justin picked him up and laid him on the shredded examination table. "Hey look at me." Justin comforted brushing his son's little blonde curls down. "See there now that wasn't so bad was it huh?" Taylor simply glared at the clowns on the wall as he let out small chopped breaths. Dr. Mathews Cleaned his arm off and put a bright orange dino bandaid over the spot. "E-hem!" The Doctor dusted off his coat and tried to regain his compsure. All the nurses and Doctors and yes even the vending guy stood watching in silence. "Mr. Timberlake." said Dr. Mathews. "Here's your file, you can just schedule your next appointment at the front desk. Linda." Dr. Mathews gestured to the red head standing in the doorway. "Uh-" She uttered still in awe. "Sure...right this way."

"January?" "Sounds perfect." Justin beamed grinning at Taylor who was now merrily licking the best cherry lolipop he had ever tasted. "Alrighty then." The woman tapped Timberlake into her computer for January. The other children in the waiting room all stared at Taylor frozen. What had happened back there?

"McCoy." Dr. Mathews called from the doorway. Taylor watched the brown haired little boy who had handed him the race car be scooped up by his mother. "C'mon sweetypie." As his mother carried him to the door the little boy kept his eyes on Taylor. He was terrified and pleading to know what happened. What happened? What was about to happen. Would he make it out too? Taylor glared blankly at the boy.

"Well Helloooo Mrs. McCoy." Dr. Mathews beamed. "You'cn come right on back here. My oh My is this Jimmy? Boy! You've gotten big since the last time I saw you!" Jimmy's eyes widened as he looked back at Taylor. "Come on Jimmy now don't be afraid." His mother coaxed as she proceeded down the long grey hallway. Dr. Mathews waved goodbye to Taylor as he closed the door and Taylor waved goodbye to Jimmy as he went back to devouring his lolipop. Bye Bye Jimmy.

"Okay littleman you ready to roll or what?" Justin said sliding his shades onto Taylor's face. "Bye Taylor sweety come back and see us okaaaaaaaaay!" The red head beamed. She was back to her usual perkiness. "Say Byebye Taylor." Taylor waved at the secretary and Justin avoided the other parents stares as they left the Dr.'s office.

"Hey baby." Justin smiled into his blackberry.

"Hey! So how'd it go?"

Justin peeked at Taylor in the rearview mirror.

"Knocked out."

"He's still sleeping?"

"No, I mean the Doctor. Taylor knocked him out."

"Are you serious!"

"Babe! You should have seen it. The whole Dr.'s office..."

Taylor finished his candy as he watched the scenery go by out the window. He had survived. And not only that. He had made five other toddlers all the more wiser that day. In fact, maybe, just maybe, today he had begun a democracy. A democracy for two year olds. Toddlers were people too! And toddlers he here by declared wanted NO MORE BOOSTERS!

"Rach! No! Baby he-" Justin glanced in the mirror again. "Babe he whooped that Doctor's ass." he whispered into the phone.

"Well I hope we're not banned."

"No we're not, I made another appointment."

"Well good work dad. Good work. Now you two hurry up and get home. I'm making peach coooobbleeeeeeeer."

"Giiirl." He listened to her chuckle before hanging up. "Yo Tay! Guess what! Mommys makin-" Justin glanced over his shoulder and smiled. Taylor's head was crooked to the side and his lips pursed as he snored.

"Out cold." Justin chuckled as he gave it some gas. The BMW kicked into third gear and the two sped home for dinner. What a day.

 

 

 

 


Completed
Melon is the author of 5 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Taylor & The Booster (JRT Series) also liked 453 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story