Author's Chapter Notes:
I apologize for yet another LONG wait on this chapter. It would have been longer as I like to wait until I get a chapter back from Christine before posting another but she said she won't get to it for a few days (which is fine :)) so I thought you guys waited long enough and deserve another chapter. So here it is, thanks to ALL of you who have read and reviewed. I LOVE hearing from you all. I hope you're enjoying the story, please continue to let me know what you think :)I do have about 2 months left of school and of course the work load is HUGE so I don't know when the next chapter will be :(. But I hope you enjoy this one!
Chapter 09:

Hannah finished running her errands around town and then headed back to the bungalows to finish setting up there. After putting the groceries away and organizing the place a little bit she settled down to eat some lunch and then set up her laptop and began filtering through her e-mails as she made some phone calls.

She called Markus first filling him in on what had been going on and any information she needed to pass on to Tara. She also spoke to him about letting Teddy go back to New York because it was safe where they were, and there had been no problems since their arrival. Markus grudgingly agreed and Teddy would be taking the flight that night home.

After her call with Markus, she finished working on the e-mails she had from a few family members and friends. She glanced at the clock on the bottom of her screen and noticed it was 6 o’clock. Her mind then drifted to what Trace had said about dinner that night.

She hadn’t been with anyone for a while, her last relationship ended badly and she really wasn’t planning on being with anyone for a long time. That was why she wanted to work with Tara, knowing that her last relationship ended badly as well and she wouldn’t be looking for anyone. Well she thought. But Trace was different, things didn’t feel weird with him, they felt great. She felt like she could laugh again and have a good time and he wasn’t judging her.

After staring at the computer screen for a while, she got up and reached into her purse to grab her cigarettes, lighter and cell phone. She rarely ever smoked, usually only when Markus was driving her nuts, but she had to think about some things.

She walked outside the bungalow and sat down on the top step, taking a cigarette out of the package and putting the package onto the step next to her cell phone. She took her lighter and lit her cigarette and took a long drag from it. She blew the smoke before she sighed and closed her eyes.

She opened them and looked out over the lake, watching the sunset behind it and felt the small breeze running across it, causing small ripples to appear on the surface. She closed her eyes once again letting the sun warm her face. As she took another drag, her phone rang loudly next to her causing the calming atmosphere to disappear. She sighed expecting it to be Tara so she didn’t bother looking at the caller ID.

“Hello.”

“Hey, so you’re not avoiding me.”

Hannah tried to hide her smile as she took another drag of her cigarette.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“Waiting for you to call me.”

Hannah giggled. “I bet.”

“I was, why don’t you believe me?”

Hannah rolled her eyes and tapped the ash off her cigarette.

“Seriously though, what are you doing?” he questioned.

“I’m waiting for Tara to call me, so I can go pick her up.”

“Then what?”

Hannah sighed.

“Trace, this isn’t-“

“All I’m asking for is dinner Hannah.”

Hannah remained quiet and dropped the cigarette and pushed the end of her cigarette into the wood of the steps with her shoe.

“I don’t know what Tara is doing Trace; I’m here to help her.”

“Well, what if I have Justin keep her busy?”

“Trace, you better not,” Hannah warned.

“All it will take is a phone call, let me call you back.”

“Trace no!” Hannah practically screamed.

Trace chuckled. “So?”

Hannah sighed. “All right, geez, I’ll see what I can do.”

“Call me back.”

“Okay, bye.”

She hung up and rolled her eyes before grabbing her cigarette package and lighter, and headed inside. She shut down her laptop, packing it all up before packing her purse and getting into the waiting SUV and headed down toward the high school.

They reached the high school in no time and she noticed Andrew’s catering truck leaving the parking lot and figured they were done for the day. She made her way toward the rows of trailers hoping to spot Tara somewhere. She saw her step out of the costume trailer looking at her phone when she looked up and spotted Hannah.

“Hey! I was just going to call you.”

“Are you done?” Hannah asked as they reached each other.

Tara nodded. “Something happened with the lighting; tomorrow will be a long day.”

“Fun.”

“So how was your day?” Tara asked.

“I talked to Markus,” Hannah started. “Teddy leaves tonight,”

“Wow, he said it was okay?” Tara asked.

Hannah nodded. “Where is he anyway?” she asked.

Tara giggled. “He had to use the little boy’s room,” she said. “Do you think he’ll be mad?”

“Probably just concerned,” Hannah replied.

Renee came bouncing out of the costume trailer.

“Hey guys!” she said with a smile.

“Hey Renee, how’s it going?” Hannah asked.

“Oh fine,” she said. “I’m so tired, Andrew’s gonna come over to watch a movie.”

“Fun,” Tara said with a wink.

Renee giggled.

“Hey, can I borrow your rental?” Tara asked.

Hannah looked at her confused.

“Got a hot date?” Renee asked.

Tara smiled. “Something like that,” she replied.

Teddy came walking over toward them and everyone said good-bye and headed toward their cars. Tara climbed into the back seat like usual with Hannah following behind her. Teddy got into the passenger seat and they took off toward the bungalows.

They reached the bungalows a few minutes later and Tara immediately went inside to her room to start getting ready for her night, while Hannah was left to talk to Teddy about the decision that was made.

Tara gathered her clothes for changing before standing by the closed door trying to listen to the conversation in the living room.

“Whose idea was this anyway?” she heard Teddy’s deep male voice say.

“It doesn’t matter Teddy,” Hannah replied. “Markus thinks that its okay for her to be here alone, she’s been okay so far.”

“She’s also getting involved with that guy, who I don’t like,” Teddy said.

Tara smiled behind the door. Teddy has always been there for her since she started out, and was always there to pick up the pieces.

“She’s making friends Teddy, you can’t stop her from making friends,” Hannah said.

Tara could hear Teddy sigh loudly.

“I don’t really have a choice do I?” Teddy asked. “Markus wants me to go.”

“You do a great job Teddy,” Hannah said. “I know Tara appreciates everything you do for her.”

With that Tara opened the door and made her way toward Teddy and Hannah who were standing in the living room looking at each other. She walked over to Teddy and wrapped her arms around him giving him a big hug. He looked down at her a moment before sighing and hugging her back, rubbing her back softly.

“I really appreciate everything you’ve done for me Teddy,” she said.

He looked down at her and then at Hannah before sighing once again.

“Just be safe ok Tara?” he said. “That’s all I ask.”

Tara nodded and looked up at him. “I will, I promise.” She said.

They broke the hug and Tara looked up at him and smiled.

“I’ll see you soon right?” she asked

He nodded. “I’ll be at the airport when you come for that interview in a month,” he replied.

She nodded. “Good,” she said. “Tell your wife I said hi,”

“I will,” he said.

She smiled and turned heading back into her room and closing the door to finish getting ready for her night. Hannah was watching them as she pretended to be looking through her organizer.

“Your flight is in two hours,” Hannah replied. “The car will take you,”

Teddy nodded before heading toward his corner of the living room where his bags were sitting already packed because they hadn’t been there long.

Tara felt bad that he was leaving, but she knew that she would be safe here and things with Justin would be a lot easier since she didn’t have to have Teddy tag along all the time. She searched through her suitcase for something comfortable to wear, and decided on tight fitting black v-neck shirt and some comfortable dark blue Capri’s and a pair of black sandals. She knew they would probably be hanging around the house, and she was comfortable in this.

She got dressed and looked at herself in the body-length mirror that was hanging up behind the door of her room and fixed her hair before putting on some make-up and reaching for her gray hooded zip-up sweater and opened her door walking out into the living room.

Teddy was ready to leave and gave Tara one last hug before heading out the door and going to the airport. Hannah watched her as she walked over to her purse and began going through it before speaking up.

“What are you up to tonight?” Hannah asked.

Tara looked up at her, biting her lip before she smiled.

“Justin invited me to dinner,” Tara said. “Well, Randy did actually.”

Hannah watched her but before she could say anything Tara spoke again.

“I know what you’re gonna say,” Tara began. “I won’t do anything stupid.”

“I’m not trying to be your mother,” Hannah said. “I just want-“

“Me to be careful I know,” Tara finished. “It’s just dinner.”

Hannah remained quiet as she watched her take out some lip gloss and apply some to her lips. She turned back to Hannah with a smile.

“How do I look?” She questioned.

“Fine,” Hannah replied. “Call me if you guys plan on going out, please.”

Tara nodded. “I will,” she said and then glanced at her cell phone noticing the time. “I should probably go.”

Hannah nodded. Tara made her way out the door and headed next door to get the rental car keys from Renee who was already getting ready to watch a movie with Andrew. Tara got the directions from Andrew to Justin’s before saying her good-byes and heading toward Justin’s.

-*-

Hannah watched Tara drive off and sighed before looking down at her phone. She knew if she didn’t call Trace he would either show up at the bungalows or he would be calling her all night. She went to sit down on the couch, before reaching for her phone and dialing Trace’s number.

“She called me!” Came an excited voice on the other line.

Hannah rolled her eyes. “Yeah, cause you threatened me.”

“I would never do that.”

“Hah!”

Trace chuckled.

“So?”

Hannah sighed. “Well, Tara is headed to Justin’s.”

“Really?”

“Yup.”

“So does that mean I can come over?”

Hannah rolled her eyes. “What if I say no? Will you come over anyway?”

“Yeah, pretty much.”

Hannah giggled.

“I’ll see you in a little bit ok?”

“All right.”

They both hung up. Hannah sighed before getting up and going into her bedroom to change into something more comfortable as she waited for Trace to arrive.

-*-

After practice, Justin and Randall headed home. Justin was thankful that he had cleaned the house a few days ago and it still looked semi-neat. He parked outside and Randall rushed out of the backseat heading toward the front door. Justin chuckled as he followed him.

“I want you to go clean the living room and your bedroom,” Justin said. “Put all your toys away.”

“Awww, why?” he questioned with a pout.

“Because, you’re the one who invited Tara over,” he replied.

Randy huffed as he crossed his arms over his chest and continued to pout. Justin chuckled as he unlocked the door and Randy rushed inside heading toward the living room. Justin went into his bedroom to change out of his uniform into some comfortable faded blue jeans and a blue and white stripped polo shirt. Then he went into the kitchen to see what he could start for dinner.

After about half an hour, he had dinner going and Randy had finished cleaning his room and the living room, and changed his clothes, he was now watching TV. Justin was busy cutting stuff for a salad when he heard a car driving down the road. He glanced out his kitchen window and saw a small Honda pull into his driveway.

Randy heard the car pull up as well and he got up rushing toward the door. “She’s here!” he called.

Justin chuckled as he put down the cutting knife and dried his hands on the dish towel before heading toward the front door to get to it before Randy did.

“Calm down kid,” Justin said as he reached for the handle and pulled it open as Tara was making her way up the steps holding a big brown paper bag with her purse hung on her shoulder.

“Tara! Hi!” Randy said running past Justin and hugged Tara around the waist.

Tara smiled as she rested her hand on his head, “Hi Randy, how are you?” she asked.

“Fine,” he said with a bright smile. “Did you finish pretending?”

Tara laughed. “For today I did,” she said.

Randy smiled and then looked up at Justin; Tara did as well and noticed Justin watching her. She smiled and held up the bag.

“I got the drinks I owed you,” she said with a smile and a wink.

He chuckled and took the bag from her shaking his head. “I told you, you didn’t have to,” he said.

“I know,” she replied. “But I wanted too.”

“Did you bring me anything?” Randy asked with excitement.

Tara chuckled. “As a matter of fact, I stopped by the bakery and got you some cookies,” she said with a smile.

“You did?” He asked.

Tara nodded. “But you have to finish all your dinner,” she reminded.

He nodded and took her hand. “Come inside, I want to show you my room,” he said.

Tara chuckled as he pulled her into the house and down the hallway. Justin closed the door behind them and made his way into the kitchen to finish making dinner. He unloaded the six pack of beer into the fridge and put the small bag of cookies in the cupboard before going back to finishing his salad and other dinner preparations.

Randy walked her into his bedroom which was nice and clean now that Justin made him make his bed and put his toys away. As he was showing her his collection of Lego’s Justin called them for dinner, and he took a hold of her hand and they made their way toward the kitchen.

Justin was setting the small table that was in the dining room, which was connected to the kitchen.

“Need any help?” Tara asked.

Justin looked up as she walked into the room and shook his head. “I got it, have a seat,” he said.

Tara went and sat down on one of the wooden chairs as Randy pulled himself onto the chair next to her with a big smile.

Justin came back from the kitchen with a big bowl of salad and glass plate of grilled chicken setting them down in the middle of the table. He headed back into the kitchen and then came out once again with a bowl of corn and a plate of French bread. Their drinks were already sitting on the table next to their place settings”Tara and Justin were drinking beer while Randy had a glass of milk.

Randy said a small prayer before they all dug into their dinner.

They all had a great time during dinner talking about their day. Randy talked to Tara all about being able to play basketball with the boys and about his days at school. Tara listened intently watching his expression with each story he told and how he explained everything with his hands causing food to go flying off his fork more than once.

Justin watched her as she watched Randy explain and ramble about his many stories and he couldn’t help the smile that appeared on his face. She wasn’t afraid of Randy, she wasn’t afraid that he had a kid. He knew he couldn’t get ahead of himself though; she was an actress and she would be leaving in three months.

After dinner, Tara insisted on helping Justin with the dishes while Randy went and cleaned up. He was washing and she was drying and stacking them on the counter so that he could put them away since she didn’t know where they went.

“Thank you for being so nice to Randy,” Justin said as he washed one of the plates they used.

Tara looked over at him and she smiled. “He’s a great kid,” she said. “You don’t have to thank me for anything.”

“He hasn’t had a new friend in a while,” he explained. “Around here, we grow up together so we know these people our whole lives so when he gets to talk to someone new he gets a little excited and because he doesn’t have any brothers or sisters-”

Tara shook her head trying to calm him down a little bit. “It’s really not a problem Justin,” she said.

Justin looked at her once again, trying to think of something else to say.

“Do you usually do the cooking?” Tara asked watching him run the clean water over a washed glass.

Justin looked at her. “Why? Was it bad?” he questioned.

Tara shook her head no. “No, it was really good actually,” she said with a giggle. “I’m not much of a cook.”

“It’s not that difficult, I could teach you,” he said with a smile.

Tara smiled at him. “I’d like that,” she said and finished drying a plate.

Justin watched her out of the corner of his eye as he finished with the last of the dishes and emptied the dirty dish water from the sink. As he was drying his hands on a dish towel the phone rang, and he reached for it on the wall where it hung. Tara finished drying the dishes before washing her hands and hanging up the semi-wet dish towel.

“Hello,” Justin says into the phone. “Susan, hey,”

Tara decided to make her way into the living room so Justin could finish the conversation on the phone. She didn’t know who Susan was, but she was sure it was important.

“We overslept Susan, he’s not going to die if he misses one day of school, besides its summer, the kid should have some fun.”

She heard Justin explain from the kitchen as she walked around the living room looking at the different pictures that were hung up on the walls and the ones that sat on the mantel over his fireplace.

“I’m not going to argue with you, do you want to talk to him or not?”

She then heard Justin call out Randy’s name and Randy made his way through the hallway and towards Justin. He reached for the phone before Justin said anything, and began to talk to the women on the phone about his day. Justin made his way into the living room watching Tara as she looked at the pictures.

“Sorry about that,” he said.

Tara turned kind of surprised but smiled at him.

“It’s okay,” she said.

“It’s Randy’s mom,” he explained. “My ex-wife.”

Tara nodded. “You really don’t owe me an explanation Justin,” she said watching him. “This is your house, you can talk to anyone you want.”

He had his hands in his jean pockets and was looking at her nervously. They both heard Randy giggle from the other room, and that brought a smile to Tara’s face.

“So what was Hannah doing tonight?” Justin asked.

Tara shrugged. “Staying in I think,” she explained. “Renee was having Andrew over I think.”

“And Teddy?” He questioned. “I thought maybe he would show up with you.”

Tara smiled. “Actually he’s heading back to New York,” she said. “My manager decided it was okay for me to be here without a bodyguard so,” she shrugged.

“Hmm,” he said. “This place is pretty safe.”

“I thought so,” Tara said with a smile.

Soon Randy came bouncing back into the living room with a basketball in his hands and sneakers on his feet.

“Dad, can we play?” He questioned.

Justin turned to him before looking at Tara.

“You up for it?” he questioned.

Tara smiled and nodded. “Sure,” she said.

Justin slipped on a pair of his shoes before he and Randy headed out to the backyard through the screen door from their living room.

There was a small basketball court in the middle of Justin’s huge backyard with two hoops standing tall on each end. Justin had turned on the porch light before following Randy out who was already running up and down the court bouncing the basketball.

“Tara is on my team!” Randy called as Tara made her way onto the court.

“I don’t know if that’s fair,” Justin said as he chased after him.

Randy giggled as he ran away from Justin making his way behind Tara holding onto her as he peeked at Justin from behind her. Tara smiled as she looked down at him.

“I’m not very good Randy,” Tara replied. “I’m just warning you.”

He shrugged then looked at Justin once again with a smile.

“All right, fine” Justin said with a chuckled. “You two against me, that seems fair.”
Chapter End Notes:
Comments? Questions? E-mail me at Spacey1141@hotmail.com


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story