Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm so sorry this update is a day late. I was trying to get the next chapter out to my editer before posting another one. Even with the day off on Monday, school has been kicking my butt and it's only the 2nd week. Anyway, enough whinning. Here's the next chapter, let me know what you think! :) Hope you like it!
Chapter 06:

Tara’s eyes opened with a start as the annoying beeping went off in her ear from her early 6 a.m. wake-up call. She groaned and turned over, reaching her hand out to smack the alarm clock making the noise stop. She sighed once it fell to the floor with a clunk and snuggled back under the covers of her bed.

She knew she had at least 10 minutes before Hannah gave her a call to make sure she was awake. She gave a heavy sigh before she closed her eyes once again and tried to go back to sleep. But her mind was not empty enough to allow sleep to creep back in.

Meeting Justin was something she did not expect to happen in this small town. After her break up with Roger, the musician, she felt like she would never find anyone she was interested in. She thought that every guy was out to break her heart, and she had to do her best to keep it closed off to anyone who could do that.

Justin was different though, he was a small town country boy who seemed sincere and honest. She was thinking about giving him a chance, about giving them a chance. That is if he felt the same. He was hard to read, and seemed closed off and not ready to open up. She wondered what was up with his past and what had happened to him to make him that way.

After not being able to fall back asleep, she lifted the covers from her face and looked up at the ceiling of the hotel room. She then reached for her cell phone that was sitting on her bedside table to look at the time, and noticed that 15 minutes had passed and she did not receive a phone call from Hannah.

She got up and headed into her small bathroom to take a shower and get ready for her long day of filming. She was ready and dressed in 45 minutes and then heard a knock on her door. She opened it and was surprised to see Teddy standing there.

“Hey,” she said. “Where’s Hannah?”

He shrugged. “I haven’t heard from her,” he explained. “But it’s almost time to go.”

She nodded. She left him at the door and went and grabbed her purse, stuffing her cell phone, script, iPOD, and some other things into it before leaving the room.

“Let’s go see what she’s doin’,” Tara said as she closed her door and they headed down towards Hannah’s room, which was the next door over.

Tara knocked once, waiting for her to answer.

Nothing.

She looked at Teddy once more before knocking again and waiting.

Nothing.

“I’m worried now,” she said looking up at him. “Did you get an extra key?”

Teddy nodded and reached into his pocket to take out a keychain of keys, Hannah gave him the two girls’ spare keys just in case. Tara put it into the slot and turned the key unlocking the hotel room.

“Wait here,” she said handing the key back to him.

He nodded and leaned against the hallway wall. Tara walked into the pitch black room, and saw the sun trying to burst into the small cracks of the curtains. She felt around the wall for a light switch, before she heard a groan.

“Hannah…” she said stopping in her tracks.

She heard another groan before it clicked, Tara knew exactly why Hannah was not up, it had to be the one too many Long Island Iced Tea’s she had last night with Trace. Tara couldn’t help the giggle that escaped her lips as she found the light switch and flipped it on.

A small lamp illuminated from the side of Hannah’s bed. Hannah was snuggled under the covers, still dressed in the clothes from last night, pillow covering her head.

“Hannah,” Tara said again. “Are you ok?”

“Stop shouting…” Hannah said weakly.

Tara bit her lip to stop from laughing and walked over to her bedside.

“Hannah,” she whispered this time.

Hannah peeked her head out from under the covers, squinting up at Tara.

“What time is it?” she questioned.

“It’s 7 o’clock,” Tara responded.

Hannah groaned.

“I can make it today without you,” Tara said. “Teddy will be with me.”

“No, no I’ll be okay,” she insisted attempting to get out from under the covers.

“I’ll be okay,” Tara said. “We’re just doing another run of the script.”

“Are you sure?” Hannah asked.

Tara nodded. “Positive,” she insisted.

Hannah sighed before lying back down in the bed. “Please never let me have another Long Island Iced Tea,” she said.

Tara giggled. “You got it,” she said. “I’ll call you when we break for lunch ok?”

Hannah nodded. “Thanks Tara,” she said.

“No problem,” she said. “Keep your phone on.”

“I will,” she mumbled.

Tara turned to leave, shutting off the lamp light and opened the door once again closing it behind her. Teddy straightened his stance looking at her expectedly.

“We had fun night last night,” Tara said with a giggle.

Teddy shook his head with a sigh.

“It’s just you and me today,” Tara announced as they walked down the hallway toward the elevators.

-*-

Tara’s day without Hannah by her side was definitely stressful and something she did not want to do again. Because Hannah was sleeping her hangover away, her phone was not being answered. Therefore, people were getting a hold of Markus who in turn was calling Tara wondering what was going on.

After explaining herself and trying to keep Hannah from getting fired she, assured Markus that she would be fine tomorrow and it would never happen again. Markus agreed to field the phone calls for today and fill Hannah in tomorrow.

When all of that was taken care of, they had another meeting with Jackson and the rest of the people working on the movie. Jackson had made it possible for some of the cast members to be moved into bungalows a few miles away and a couple of them could move in as soon as tonight. They went over a few more script changes before everyone was sent to get into costume.

Renee and Tara were in the costume trailer getting dressed behind wooden screens with their clothes hanging over the top.

“So Hannah couldn’t make it today huh?” Renee asked.

Tara chuckled. “She didn’t even change her clothes last night,” she said.

Renee giggled. “She was packing ‘em,” she replied.

“Well Trace kept pouring them down her throat,” Tara replied.

Renee laughed again. “I don’t know about you, but I had a blast,” she said.

“Yeah, it was pretty fun,” Tara agreed.

“You and Justin were talking a lot near the end of the night,” Renee mentioned.

“We were,” Tara agreed.

Both girls giggled.

“Girls, are you done? I don’t want to be here all day” the costume designer Ruby called to them.

“Coming!” Tara said as she finished changing.

A few minutes later, the girls stepped out from behind the screens, they were both dressed in the high school cheerleaders’ uniforms.

“It feels like my butt is showing,” Tara replied as she reached behind her pulling down the short skirt.

Ruby motioned her toward her and Tara stepped onto a stool in front of Ruby who then started making adjustments to her costume in front of a mirror. Renee stood beside them watching.

“So are you gonna hang out with Andrew tonight?” Tara asked, “Ask him to help you move,” she winked.

Renee smiled. “I don’t know, I haven’t talked to him,” she explained. “Hopefully he’s here for lunch.”

Tara nodded in understanding.

“What about you?” Renee asked. “Any future plans with Justin?”

Tara looked at herself in the full-length mirror in front of her, and then looked at Renee who was watching her.

“I don’t know, I kind of talked him into letting me buy him a beer,” she said unsure.

Renee’s smiled brightened. “When did this happen?” she questioned.

“While we were walking home last night,” Tara said. “I was just teasing him, but I don’t know, I think I might do it.”

Renee smiled and nudged her side. “Good for you girl,” she said.

“Lift your arms,” Ruby commented.

Tara did so watching as Ruby pulled down the material over her stomach and making a few adjustments. After about a half hour of working on Tara, it was Renee’s turn and now she was on the stool as Ruby moved around her making small adjustments to her costume.

When all the adjustments had been made, the girls changed back into their regular clothes to break for lunch. They made their way across the parking lot towards the diner’s catering car and picnic tables and got in line with everyone else.

Andrew was there as promised putting pieces of meat onto people’s plates. Renee spotted him and squealed gripping onto Tara’s arm as they made their way down the line.

“Hey there sexy,” Renee said with a smile.

Andrew looked up, and his smiled brightened as he leaned over the table to give Renee a kiss on the cheek.

“How are you?” he asked.

“Great!” Renee said with a smile, “Can’t say that about Hannah though,” she giggled.

Andrew smirked before he looked at Tara who was shaking her head with a smile.

“Don’t ask,” Tara said with a sigh.

Andrew chuckled. “I’ll meet you at the tables when I’m done ok?” he questioned.

Renee nodded as she loaded her plate with food and Tara followed behind her, and they made their way to a picnic table that was the farthest away from everyone else. They began eating making small talking about last night, and plans about moving into their bungalows when Andrew made his way over, talking on his phone. He hung up as soon as he reached them and sat down next to Renee.

“So, how’s it going today?” he asked.

“Fine,” Renee said looking at him. “How’s your day?”

“Fine,” he replied. “Where’s Hannah?”

Renee started to giggle and look at Tara who was watching them.

“Your friend gave her too many drinks last night, she’s sleeping it off,” Tara replied.

Andrew hissed, “Oh, sorry about that,” he said.

“Tell your friend no more drinks with him,” Tara said.

Andrew nodded. “I will,” he chuckled.

He then looked out over the field and smiled.

“Hey look who’s comin’,” he said with a smirk.

Tara and Renee both look where he was looking and noticed Justin making his way towards them. Renee grinned and looked back at Tara with a giggle. Tara turned back to the two, giving Renee a death stare who in turn looked at her innocently.

“What?” she questioned then pointed to Andrew.

Tara gave him a dirty look before turning towards Justin who was smiling as he made his way towards them.

“Hey guys how’s it going?” he questioned as he sat down.

“Fine,” Renee said with a smile. “Nice to see you again Justin,”

He nodded. “You too Renee” he said with a chuckle.

“Where’s Hannah?” he questioned.

Renee hid a giggle and Tara shook her head.

“Um, Trace gave her one too many drinks last night,” Andrew said watching Justin closely.

Justin frowned before he looked at Tara, “Sorry,” he said.

“Just tell your friend he’s not allowed to take Hannah to a bar, ever.” She said.

Justin nodded. “Got it,” he said.

There was a minute of silence before Renee spoke up.

“Oh yeah!” she said looking at Andrew. “Jackson got us bungalows to live in while we’re staying here, you wanna help me move in?”

“You guys got your own bungalows?” Andrew asked.

Renee nodded and smiled.

“Where are they?” he asked sneaking a drink of her water.

“On First and Pine,” Renee said. “You know it?”

He nodded. “Right down by the lake, wow those things have awesome views,” he said.

“Is Hannah gonna be up to moving?” Justin asked.

Tara watched him. “I don’t know, I should probably call her and see how things are,” she said and got up reaching for her phone.

She walked away from the group opening up her cell phone and dialing Hannah’s number. Justin turned to Renee and Andrew watching as they were giggling about something.

“Is she really mad at me?” he questioned.

Renee looked at him, then at Tara and smiled. “She’ll get over it,” she assured him.

Everyone was quiet for a minute before Renee spoke up again.

“So, are you on break?” she questioned Justin.

“I let the guys go early,” he explained. “I have to go pick up my son at daycare pretty soon.”

Renee blinked. “You have a son?” she questioned.

He nodded. “He’s five,” he said.

“Do you have a picture?” she questioned.

Justin reached into his back pocket taking out his wallet and opening it up, pulling out Randy’s latest school photo holding it up for her.

“Awww,” she smiled. “He’s adorable.”

Justin smiled.

“What’s his name?” she questioned.

“Randall,” he said.

Renee smiled and nodded. “Cute,” she said.

Tara came back over a few minutes later closing her phone and sat down next to Justin.

“Who’s that?” she questioned pointing to the picture Renee was holding.

Renee showed her the picture with a smile.

“This is Justin’s son Randall,” Renee said. “He’s five.”

Tara looked at the picture noticing the boy’s bright smile, and big blue eyes just like Justin’s.

“Cute,” Tara said with a smile.

Renee gave the picture back to Justin before turning Tara again.

“How’s Hannah?” she questioned.

“Fine,” Tara said. “Trace came by and brought soup,”

“Wow,” Renee said. “You country boys know how to play it,”

Andrew looked at her and chuckled. “What is that supposed to mean?” he questioned.

Renee sighed and rolled her eyes. “Forget it,” she said.

The three talked a little while before Andrew had to get back to work. He agreed to come by with his truck and help the girls move to the bungalows later that evening, depending on when their day ended. Justin said he would try to make it, but it depended on his son. They all said goodbye once again as the two men headed in one direction and the girls headed off towards another.

-*-

Justin pulled his truck out of the parking lot as he waved to Andrew once more before heading down the familiar road toward Randall’s daycare. He thought about Tara’s reaction when she found out he had a son, it wasn’t a bad reaction. She was surprised, which was expected, but she didn’t seem put off either. Maybe he had a chance. He wasn’t going to worry about meeting with them tonight, if he could make it then he would. If not, then he would see her eventually.

He pulled into the parking lot of Randy’s daycare and saw Susan’s Lexus parked in the parking lot along with a few other cars. He sighed before getting out of his truck and heading inside.

“Afternoon Mr. Timberlake,” the receptionist Karen replied.

“Afternoon Karen,” Justin said with a smile. “How are you doing?”

She smiled. “Very good, thank you,” she said.

Justin leaned over and signed his name on the clip board next to Randall’s name. He smiled at her once again before making his way down the hall towards his son’s classroom. He opened the door and peeked inside, spotting Randall sitting with his mom on one of the small desk chairs as she read him a story.

As soon as the door opened, Randall looked towards the door and his smile brightened instantly.

“Dad!” he called, scrambling down from his mother’s lap and running toward Justin at full force.

Justin smiled and bent down so that he was the same size as him as Randall launched himself into Justin’s arms.

“Hey buddy, I missed you!” Justin replied as he hugged him tightly before he kissed his head.

“Me too!” He said breaking away from the hug to look at him. “Mommy is here did you see?” he questioned and pointed to Susan who was still sitting in the small chair.

Justin turned to Susan who was watching them as she began to get up from her seat.

“Did you have a good time at Mom’s?” he questioned as he stood up looking down at Randall who was looking up at him.

Randall nodded. “We went to see Grandma and Grandpa at the diner,” he said with a smile. “Grandma made me a chocolate sundae with cherries!”

“She did?” he questioned.

Randall nodded excitedly, before taking Justin’s hand and pulling him more into the classroom where Susan was now standing and adjusting her black business skirt suit.

“Justin,” she said with a smile.

Justin smiled back, “Hey Susan,” he replied. “It is my night isn’t it?”

She nodded. “I just wanted to sat goodbye; I’m heading to Nashville for a conference remember?” she questioned.

Justin nodded. “Right, of course,” he said.

Randall went from his dad towards his mom and Susan bent down to hug him tightly.

“I’m gonna miss you buddy, I’ll call ok?” she questioned and kissed his forehead. “Be good for Dad,”

Randall nodded before letting go of her and looking up at both of his parents. Susan checked the time of her gold watch that was on her wrist before she picked up her purse that was sitting on the table and put it on her shoulder.

“I got to go before traffic starts,” she said. “I’ll see you soon honey,”

She bent down to kiss his forehead once more. She looked at Justin once before turning and making her way out of the classroom. Justin watched her walk away before he turned to look down at Randy who was pulling on his pant leg.

“Can we see Uncle Andy tonight?” he questioned.

Justin smiled, thinking about the plans that Andrew had already made for the evening.

“I don’t know,” Justin replied honestly. “I’ll call him and see ok?”

Randall nodded.

“Are you ready for lunch with Uncle Trace?” he questioned.

Randall’s smile brightened and he nodded excitedly.

“All right, go get your stuff,” he said.

Randall rushed over to his cubby and started to get his things together while Justin went over to his teacher. Pretty soon he was ready and came over to say goodbye to his teacher and friends before he and Justin headed out the door. Justin helped him into the truck and got him buckled in before they headed towards Trace’s auto body shop for lunch.
Chapter End Notes:
Comments? Questions? E-mail me at Spacey1141@hotmail.com


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story