Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey everyone its that time again! Hope you enjoy the new chapter and as always feel free to send some feedback my way! Any questions/comments/concerns are greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

_________________________________________

 

 ‘Justin, baby, what’s wrong? You’ve been looking like that all night.’

‘What are you talking about, Ma?

’‘Boy, I know you better than I know myself. You’re smiling, but it’s not in your eyes. Now, what’s wrong?’         

   Justin sighed and snatched a champagne flute from one of the waiters passing by.           

‘Nothing, Mama.’         

   It was the night of his 22nd birthday bash thrown by his label to celebrate both his birthday and the success of his first album, which had already gone multi-platinum internationally. It could have really been considered his first of three birthday parties with one upscale party, thrown by Jive, one with his family which would comes a few months later, and the last, which really wasn’t a party, but a long weekend of drunken debauchery with Trace and some of his other friends. At the moment, however, Justin was surrounded by executive bigwigs and potential investors who’d come to see Jive’s golden boy, or should he say, platinum boy. He felt more like he was performing than really enjoying himself. He sighed and took another sip of the expensive champagne, even though Jive had flown his mom out to New York for the party, he still felt like he was missing something… or someone.          

  Trace then decided to show up and sling his arm over Justin’s shoulder, his breath leading Justin to believe that Trace had been taking full advantage of the open bar.    

        ‘Why so glum, chum?’ Trace said, before giggling at his rhyme.          

  ‘I’m not!’           

I don’t know why he keeps lying like that. It’s bout plain as day that something’s not right... Is it her?’            

  Trace snorted a laugh into his champagne glass while Justin whined, ‘Maaaa.’

The only time his mom put so much venom behind a word was when she was talking about Britney. Though Justin had long since moved past it, she was still furious over her baby getting his heart broken.       

  ‘What? I don’t know with you anymore.’           

‘Right subject, wrong girl.’ said Trace, receiving an elbow jab and a pointed look from Justin in response.           

‘Well, who is it?’Justin looked down at his feet, starting to blush. 

‘Justin! Who is she? She must be someone really special to get your attention after the Britney fiasco.’

 ‘Yeah, she’s special all right. Justin has cccrrruussshhh,’ singsonged Trace before getting shoved away by Justin. He stumbled for a couple steps before righting himself, switched out his empty champagne glass for a fresh one, and wandered back over.

‘You might as well tell her, J. She’s gonna see it anyways when she comes over and sees you staring all goo-goo eyed like you do.’

‘Shut up, Trace! And I don’t stare.’

 Seeing his mother’s expectant look, he sighed in resignation. ‘Fine, her name is Grace, but I DON’T have a crush on her. Remember I mentioned her once, Ma. She’s the friend who’s staying with us for a while.’

His mom frowned.‘Yeah, I remember you said something about that. I just don’t like that a girl is living with you two. Something untoward could happen.’

Justin smiled and Trace gave another giggle at Lynne’s southern mentality.

‘Ma, isn’t not even like that.’ said Justin, getting a scoff and a muttered ‘ He wishes it was’  from Trace. ‘She’s just a friend.’

‘Well, why didn’t she come on out? I’m sure you could’ve flown her in if she means that much to you.’

Justin gave a slight pout and replied, ‘She doesn’t like flying’

To say that Grace didn’t like flying was like saying supermodels didn’t like fastfood. She loathed it, feared it, and tried to avoid it if at all possible. Grace’s first time on a plane was when they flew out to LA together and every time they hit turbulence, she just knew they were going to crash and die. After her ordeal, Justin knew she wouldn’t coming out to the party. He’d only spoken to her once today for a couple minutes between rehearsals for his upcoming performance.

‘Well, I don’t know this Grace, but I met this girl today, absolutely adorable, and I invited her to come to the party tonight. Lemme go see if she’s here yet.’

‘Aww, Mom. I don’t wanna meet any more of your church friend’s daughters!! I can meet women just fine!’ Justin whined, but it was too late as his mother had already walked off.

Trace laughed, ‘Don’t worry, dude. I’m sure she won’t be that bad.’

‘ I don’t care how she is, I don’t want to meet her.’

‘Why? Cause she’s not Graaaace?’

‘Ye – NO!! God, Tray, you need to quit saying stuff about me and CeCe, especially in front of Mama. You’ll give her the wrong idea.’ he sighed, ‘I need some air.’

Justin headed out towards the candlelit balcony, pausing for congratulations on the way. Once outside, Justin looked down at the soft city lights, remembering how Grace had once said she was from New York. God, he wished she was here with him.After a few minutes alone, Trace joined him on the balcony.

‘Aww J, look at you out here moping. You got it bad man, just admit it, man. You have a crush on Bunny. She’s pretty and nice and smart and way too good for you. I mean, you even have a pet name for her. Just let the truth set you free!’

‘Ok, one, you’re an idiot and you’re drunk. So, two, you don’t know what you’re talking about. And three, this is coming from the man who calls her 'Bunny'. CeCe is not a pet name for her. Her name is Grace which turned into Gracie which became CeCe after a while.And for the last time, I do NOT like Grace!’           

‘Ouch. Well I guess I’ll just go back home then.’          

  Justin whirled and froze, looking at the goddess in front of him.          

  She smiled at him, looking like the very definition of beauty, dressed in a black, backless evening gown, her hair done up in a elaborate bun with delicate tendrils escaping to frame her face. Her smoky eyes crinkled she smiled, watched Justin’s mouth open and close like a fish as he stared at her, completely speechless.  

          She leaned in to give him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.          

  ‘Happy Birthday, Justin.’          

  He was mortified as his face began to burn.   

         ‘Oh Lord, look at that boy blush. You’d think he’d never seen a girl before,’ said Lynne, smiling as she watched her son look down in embarrassment.         

   Trace busted out laughing.           

 After a few more seconds, Justin finally found his voice.           

 ‘God, wow, Grace you look…nice.’           

 She laughed, ‘Why thank you. You don’t look so bad yourself.’          

  He smiled and rubbed the back of his neck at the compliment, his cool façade long gone.           

‘Thanks. But wait, how’d you get here? And how do you know Mama?’           

 ‘Well, Trace flew her in and I picked her up at the airport and spent some time with her while she got all dolled up.’ Lynne answered.            

‘Wow, thanks munchkin, thanks Mama!’           

 ‘No problem, baby. Now, Tray, why don’t you show me where this open bar is?’ Justin smiled as his mom read his mind and led Trace away, giving him and Grace some privacy.           

‘ You know I deserve some thanks too, right? I had to fly all the way here, even though I think I passed out somewhere over Kansas.’           

 He laughed before picking her up and spinning her around, the couple’s laughter catching a few amused glances from the other guests inside the room.Justin set her down, then gently brushed an tendril of her hair back behind her ear, his hand lingering on her face ‘Thank you.’

Grace's smile slowly faded and her heart sped up as she gazed into his eyes. They began to lean towards each other, drawn like moths to a flame. Their lips touched in a soft kiss, and for one perfect moment, time seemed to stand still. As Justin deepened the kiss, someone softly cleared their throat behind them.One of Justin’s assistant, awkwardly looked down to deliver his message.

‘Uh, sorry to interrupt but Mr. Timberlake, is needed on the stage.’

‘Oh um ok, gimme a sec.’Justin looked back at Grace and matched her soft, embarassed smile.

‘So, I’ll see you inside?’Grace, her face slightly flushed, looked up and nodded, still smiling.            

 For the rest of the night, Justin stuck by Grace’s side as best he could, only leaving when to schmooze with an executives. Even then, however, his eyes would wander around until he found her, the sight making his heart race and his stomach twist into knots .           

No, he didn’t have a crush at all.  

‘Hey pal, wake up, bar’s closing.’           

Justin slowly lifted his head off the sticky bar counter to look in the direction of the burly bartender, his eyes focusing  on the half empty bottle of tequila to his right. He stood up from his bar stool, only to sit back down as the room starting spinning. Closing his eyes, he tried to remember how he got here. He remembered seeing Grace, noticing she cut her hair, then she started yelling….and his cheek stinging. He looked up into the mirror behind the bar and saw the mottled purple bruise high on his cheekbone and it all came back to him, including his anger and embarassment.           

 She didn’t even say she was sorry! Stupid bitch. Stumbling back up, he weaved his way back towards the door.

Nobody hurts me and gets away with it!!

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story