Gray Dreams by Babymamma787


Number of reviews: 69
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Justin walked sluggishly through the crowded halls of Calumet in a blur. Due to a lack of sleep, he wasn’t his usual self. Victoria linked on his arm and talking no stop, didn’t help the situation either.

“…so I want you to go shopping with me and Karissa on Saturday.”

All he heard Victoria say was ‘shopping’ and ‘Saturday’. Didn’t sound to bad to him; he loved shopping-when he had money to do it freely.

“…I saw the cutest dress, Justin and I want you to get a suit to match it.” Victoria said and flipped her hair playfully.

The two stopped, due to congestion in the hallway. People were crowded around the large bulletin board posted at the end of the hallway. Some students even pushed and shoved to get to the front of the crowd. Justin stood on his toes briefly before he saw a kid slide his finger down a light blue piece of paper. The imaginary light bulb came on in his head and he looked down nervously at Victoria’s clueless face.

“What?” she asked and picked at her nails.

“Nothing,” He shook his head, and faced the crowd in front of him. He knew Victoria wouldn’t care. “Just that the basketball list is posted.”

“Your mom is letting you play basketball?” she asked with disbelief.

Justin furrowed his eyebrows and looked down at her, “Yeah. I thought I told you that already?”

“Yeah…you did, actually. Well, go check and see if you made it, Justin! What are you waiting for?”

Justin looked at his girlfriend, confused. “You don’t see the large crowd?”

Victoria rolled her eyes, and grabbed hold of Justin’s hand. “Baby, you need to use your popularity to your benefit.”

She yanked him forward and pushed by-standers out of the way, while Justin apologized for her actions. The two managed to push their way to the front of the crowd and Victoria scanned her eyes over the board as she chomped on the bubble gum in her mouth.

A small smile came to her face, and a bigger one came to Justin’s. He was now a Calumet Indian, part of the Varsity boy’s basketball team. Justin let Victoria drag him away from the board, but his eyes were still transfixed at the list of names.

“Justin, concentrate here. You’re walking too slowly,” She ordered and switched her little hips in front of him. Justin followed after her, much like he’d always done, and adjusted his backpack.

Justin walked at her side now and addressed her before saying a quick ‘hello’ to a friend. “Why are you walking so fast?”

“I told the girls I’d meet them in the library this morning. We have to talk about Winter Ball,” Victoria said and rolled her eyes at a bystander.

“Okay…why do you do this before every dance? You and your little cheerleader friends get together in the library and plot,” Justin used his hands to talk. In the distance, he saw Melanie taking things out of her locker. Her brief innocence made him admire her. “Whoa.” He said to himself, scolding his thoughts.

Victoria stopped abruptly now and turned to face him. She pointed a manicured nail, “This stuff is really important. Besides, we don’t go in there and plot, we just talk about things-”

“And people,” Justin cut her off.

“Not exactly. Besides, we have a competition coming up soon,” Victoria began her steady pace up the stairs.

Justin followed her, “You should talk about stuff like that at practice. Why do I have to be there?” he argued.

“Because you’re my boyfriend, and you’re my date to the dance.” She said, but didn’t look at him. She proceeded up another flight of stairs.

Justin stopped, and watched her walk up the steps. He turned on his heels and headed the opposite direction. Victoria called him, but he didn’t acknowledge her. He was used to walking away from people.

**

My life sucks. I hate my life. I hate this place. I hate this school. I hate my hair. I hate my name. I hate my dad. I hate the desk I’m sitting in- it squeaks every time I sit down. I hate Spanish. I hate that I hate a lot of things. I hate being walked on. I hate it when I give one person a piece of gum, everybody wants a piece. I hate these stupid uniforms. I hate the fact that even public schools wear uniforms. I hate Mark; he doesn’t know when to shut up. I hate being taken advantage of. I hate my ‘nick name’.

I hate that, when I’m trying to be a baby by laying my head in my arms and pouting, someone decides to tap my damn shoulder. Assuming it was Jerome, I turned around.
I wasn’t him though. It was Melanie.
I don’t hate her. She’s nice…sometimes. I hate that.

“What’s wrong, Justin?” She asked. “Bad day?”

“Yes,” I said lowly. She’s a smart one.

“Don’t wanna talk about it?” she inquired further.

Do I look like I wanna talk about it? I think not. “No.” I put my head back down.

“Well, I had some mishaps this morning too, if it makes you feel any better. I almost sprained my ankle on the way to class because some people with big ass feet don’t know how to walk,” She stopped for a moment, and started again. “This fool stepped on like half of my foot, and left a big black mark on the side of my all-white shoes.” She said.

I rose my head and eyed her. “Don’t you hate it when that happens?”

The bell rang, telling me that it was only the beginning of second period. Crap. This is gonna be a long-ass day. The teacher walked to the front of the class now, and said ‘Pop Quiz’ in Spanish.

I hate pop quizzes.

**

Melanie sat at the table she usually did at lunch. The people she usually sat with began to come together, and when everyone was settled, she’d address them. Loud, obnoxious laughing was heard behind her, and she turned in her seat to see Victoria and a couple friends.

Victoria caught Melanie’s disapproving look, and scoffed. “What are you looking at?” she said with a conceited tone.

“Nothin’ much.” Melanie said after looking her up and down briefly.

Victoria rolled her eyes. “Whatever. Look, Mel.” She said Melanie’s name sadistically, “I suggest you shut your mouth more often, or else you’ll find my fist in it.”

Melanie rolled her eyes at Victoria’s childish threat, “Bitch, please. Take yo ass back to the other side of the fuckin cafeteria before I knock your ass over there.” She stood up, and looked at Victoria closely.

“I’m not scared of you.” She said lowly. “I have no reason to be. I mean, look at you. I know you think you’re this good dancer and all, but I got somethin’ to tell ya. I’ve been dancing in studios with professionals. All you do is dance on the streets, and take dance classes at school. That doesn’t make you good. So, when I end up becoming more successful than you’ll ever be, don’t let your mouth hang open too long.” She smiled with sarcastic ease and walked away just the same.

Melanie watched the girls walk away and bit her lip. She made eye contact with Justin, but he didn’t say anything or acknowledge her when she looked his way. He just stared. Melanie sighed, and sat back down in her seat. Her friends were looking at her now, shocked that she didn’t hit Victoria when she had the chance.

“Girl, why didn’t you hit that heffa in the head?” Joya whined. “She was standin’ right there! All you had to do was swing.”

Melanie kept her eyes forward, and shook her head. “This is my senior year. I’m not gonna get in a fight at school with her, and then get in to a whole bunch of trouble. She ain’t worth it. I’m gonna take the high road this time, but don’t worry. She’ll get hers.”

Melanie cleared her throat now and pulled out a vanilla colored folder. From that folder, she took out a piece of paper with the boys who were on the Varsity Boy’s basketball team. On the back of that paper, was a tiny plastic bag with tiny slits of paper inside. She pulled the bag off the staple, and emptied the papers into a tiny cup.

The girls looked in realization, because they knew what was going on. From the cup, they were going to pick their ‘basketball buddy’. Whoever they got, they’d have to make a basket or bag filled with snacks and such for their buddy.

Melanie gave the cup to Chasity first. Chasity closed her eyes and silently hoped she’d get Jerome. She pulled out the small piece of paper and opened it. Unfortunately, she didn’t get who she’d hoped, but was willing to trade, so she passed the cup and waited for everyone to finish.

After all of the seniors on the step squad had picked their buddy, the cup came back to Melanie. She peered into the white Styrofoam cup and saw only one little paper left. She grabbed it between her two fingers, and opened it up.
Jerome’s name was scribbled on the paper, and she was satisfied with her buddy. She was happy she didn’t get Damien.

“Who wants to switch with me?” Chasity asked. “I want Jerome.”

Nicole laughed, “We all know that.” She joked.

Melanie handed Chasity the paper. “Here…I got Jerome, but since you’re obsessed.”

“Yay!” Chasity handed her best friend the little piece of paper, and Melanie opened it.

“Justin.” She said in a monotone voice.

**

Finally, I get to go home…and I don’t have to walk! Trace is dropping me off. Thank God for him, I’m glad he’s a good friend. Yeah, he has his moments, but most of the time he’s cool. I remember the first time I met him. I had no clue where my English class was and Calumet is a big ass school. Since he had that class too, he helped me out. What’s also cool about him, is that he doesn’t discriminate like most of my ‘friends’ do. He’s cool with everyone.

I opened my locker and took out the books I’d need to do my homework. For once, I don’t have that much. I guess I could get started of my English report when I get home. It’s stressing waiting until the last minute to do stuff.

I heard someone lean against the locker next to me. Do you ever get that feeling that someone’s watching you? Well, whoever this guy is, he’s ALL in my grill.

I closed my locker and saw Damien’s ugly face.

I hate him. Now, he’s gonna start talking shit. He stared at me for a little while longer. Maybe I should just walk away, but that’s being scary. I ain’t no wimp.

“Hey, Milk Dud,” He said sarcastically.

Dude, this guy is DUMB! ‘Milk Dud’? He’s obviously never seen one before. “Milk Dud’s are chocolate, dumbass. I would think you, of all people, would know that.”

Nah…he ain’t worth it. Trace is outside waiting for me, and I’m trying to get home. All of a sudden this guy rams me up against the locker. Shit’s about to hit the fan.

He grabbed my nicely ironed collar fiercely. Jackass! I just got really good at ironing my clothes! And he has to go wrinkle shit up!

“I heard you made basketball.” He rose his bushy eyebrows. I thought mine were bad. Can we say, ‘Hot wax’?

I pushed him off of me, “You were surprised? I’m surprised you didn’t try to do some shady shit so I wouldn’t get on the team. Look, I’m sorry that you can’t face the fact that I’m better than you. Shit happens, and I’m it, so take a big sniff.” I smiled sarcastically and began to walk away.

But, of course this fucker doesn’t wanna leave me alone. I tried to be nice, and not beat his ass. He’s making it harder than it needs to be.

“I’m gon’ kick yo ass, white boy. You lucky I have somewhere to be.” He backed up slowly.

“I hope it’s the dentist, cause ya breath is kickin’ like orange chicken, playa.” I shrugged my shoulders and walked away.

**

Trace pulled out of the parking lot, with Justin in the car now. Mark was in the back seat cracking inappropriate jokes again. Justin rolled his eyes and looked out the window. Snow was on the ground, and people walked down the streets bundled in large jackets. Kids played in the large piles of snow that were packed on their driveways, and their mothers watched the as they did so. Winds flew past and slight drizzle was blown about, but that didn’t stop the busy city from moving.

People still walked the streets whether they were in business suits, skirts, work out clothes, or jeans. It reminded him a lot of LA, only there was more sunshine there. The car stopped at a red light, but Mark’s obnoxious mouth kept moving.

“I think I figured it out guys.” His chubby cheeks moved heavily as he talked.

Justin rolled his eyes and rested his head on the window.

“I know now why black people don’t get sunburned.” He announced and Justin sucked his teeth.

“Shut up, Mark.” Justin said.

Trace looked at Mark by way of his rearview mirror and grinned as he shook his head.

“No, seriously guys. It’s because they’re already burnt! They look like it at least…they’re dark enough already.”

Trace disagreed and put his foot on the gas when the light turned green. “But, black absorbs heat and white reflects light.” He joked.

Justin looked at Trace like he was crazy. “I can’t believe you’re going along with his retarded ass.” He said with disbelief and laid his head back on the window.

Trace chuckled, “Relax. We’re just joking. Well, I was. I don’t know about that guy.”

“Yeah.” Mark agreed. “And my ass isn’t retarded. It’s not possible.”

“Well, you talk out of it a lot.” Justin muttered and went into his own zone.

** *

Justin peered into his mother and father’s room and saw his mother laying on the bed, watching TV. He smiled because for once, she was just relaxing and not cleaning up after people.

“Mommy.” Justin said in a playful, soft tone.

Lynn grinned and looked at him out the corner of her eye. “What is it, son?”

“Can I lay next to you?” he asked shyly.

Lynn chuckled at her son before motioning for him to lay next to her on the bed. Justin’s face lit up as he were 6 years old again and got to lay on his mom’s tall bed and feel like he was superior. Now, he didn’t even have climb up the side. He merely just sat down.

Justin padded into the room quickly and plopped onto the bed, making his mom bounce. He rolled next to her, wrapped his arm around her stomach laid the side of his face on her chest. Only Lynn could give him the maternal love he needed. Her scent, her warmth and her touch made him feel safe. No one could touch him when he was with him mommy. Justin sighed sadly, showing her that he was perplexed.

Instinctively, Lynn began to finger the golden locks of her son’s head. Justin’s eyes fluttered a little bit as his mother’s fingers massaged his scalp. Being able to massage his head like his mother did, was one of the things he wanted his wife to be able to do.

“What’s wrong, hun?” she asked softly and briefly brought her attention to the soap opera playing on the TV.

“I have this friend,” He started slowly.

“Mmhhm.”

“And he has this girlfriend that he claims he loves very much. He doesn’t treat her like he used to though. He just orders her around and cheats on her.” Justin said, hoping his mother would get the hint that he was talking about his father

“Does this girl know he’s cheating on her?” Lynn asked, concerned.

“No, she’d blinded by her love for him. I’m starting to think she’s blinded by his money also. See, he buys her anything she wants. So, should I tell the girl that her boyfriend doesn’t care about her, or what?”

Lynn sighed, “Well, until you’re absolutely sure, and have evidence that he’s doing this, don’t say anything. It’s not your place right now.”

Justin nodded his head slowly and hugged his mom tightly. “Thank you.” He sniffed her neck ans looked at her strangely. “What are you wearing?”

“Oh…some new perfume your father got me. Do you like it?” She asked.

“Yeah, it’s alright.”

“I forgot what’s it’s called though.” She chuckled. “Go and look on top of the dresser and tell me what it is. It’s the tallest one on the dresser.”

Justin got off the bed, and did what his mother said. He picked up the glass bottle, and eyed the label. “Burberry, nice.” He put the bottle down and a plastic wrapper caught his attention.

Justin picked it up and eyed the Trojan wrapper, which happened to be empty.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki