Gray Dreams by Babymamma787


Number of reviews: 69
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Two weeks later

“Okay, y’all there’s a game tonight at 7. It’s home game and make sure you give your buddy their baskets beforethe game starts. Don’t forget to tell them good luck. We’re gonna be wearing the new uniforms, since it’s a home game.” Melanie looked at her teammates’ confused expressions.

“Remember? The baby blue jersey dresses?” There was a collective ‘oh’. “Yeah…those. I know they’re short, so wear briefs under them so your ass isn’t hanging out. We’re playing Fenger today, so be careful of the haters,” Melanie instructed.

The girls had just finished their practice and were sitting on the bleachers that were in the gym as they listened to their captain speak. It was the first game of their season, and it meant the most to the seniors who’d be leaving. The seniors, all 15 of them, would only perform at Varsity games, while the juniors, sophomores, and freshman performed for the lower ranking teams.

“Practice tomorrow,” Melanie announced and dismissed the girls.

Tiredly, she walked to her bags and put them on her shoulder. She stood for a moment, waiting for the girls to leave them gym so that she could lock it. Chasity was the last one out, and as she passed Melanie, she tapped her arm.

“Did you drive today?”

“Nope,” Melanie shook her head, “It’s my mom’s week.”

Chasity nodded her head silently. “Did you need a ride?”

“Nope,” She shook her head again. “Justin’s giving me a ride.” She stated simply and waited for her friend’s nagging.

“Ohh,” she chided. “So, now you got the boy waiting on you and shit? Good job, pimpette.”

Melanie rolled her eyes, “Shut up. He had basketball practice, just like we had practice so he said he’d drop me off.”

The two walked past a few lockers and turned a couple of corners before reaching the outside of the school.

“Well, y’all have been getting close lately. Every time I call you, yo ass can’t talk cause you steady talkin’ to Justin,” Chasity pointed out.

“It’s senior year. You’re supposed to get close with as many people as possible,” Melanie tried to avoid the subject.

“Nah, my nig. Y’all are real close,” Chasity argued.

“No we’re not!” Melanie walked up next to Justin’s truck and knocked on the window. He looked at her briefly and unlocked the doors.

Melanie opened the back door of his truck and threw her bags in the back seat.

Justin turned and looked at her with a tired expression on his face. “How come you didn’t call me on my cell? I would’ve helped you with your bags.”

Melanie sighed, “Nah…I’m straight.”

Chasity stuck her head in the door now, “Can’t say hi to nobody, Justin?”

Justin didn’t look at her. “Hi.”

Melanie and Chasity furrowed their eyebrows at his behavior.

“Well good luck, tonight,” Chasity said and headed to her car.

Melanie hopped in the truck and fastened her seatbelt. Once Justin saw she was strapped in, he backed out, and made his way out of the parking lot. Justin’s eyebrows were furrowed as he drove down the street stiffly. Melanie noticed his uneasy composure and stared at him for a little bit. His cheeks were red, probably from walking around outside in the cold weather. He sighed a little and turned up the radio, hoping to take the attention off of himself.

“What’s wrong,” Melanie said it more imperatively than interrogatively.

Justin looked at her briefly before answering. “My dad called me on my cell phone right after I got out of practice.”

Melanie furrowed her eyebrows and turned down the radio. Justin had told her about his dad a couple of days ago. She felt bad for him because he’d gone through so much with the man. She’d grown to have a dislike for him, after what Justin had told him. She couldn’t believe that his dad had the nerve to cheat on Justin’s mother, in the same bed they slept in. Justin told Melanie about all the little escapades his father had with different women. It made Melanie understand Justin more and figure out why he acted the way that he did sometimes.

“What did he want?” she looked at him.

Justin sighed and pulled the car to the side of the road, for he didn’t want to mess up his driving. Justin unbuckled his seatbelt now, and turned to face Melanie, who gave him he undivided attention. “He said that he wanted to see me. He’s said that he’s going to send me some money for my birthday.”

Melanie was confused, “Isn’t that a good thing?”

“Hell no, it’s not a good thing! I don’t want him to send me anything out of pity! It’s his fault I’m down here in this…place. No offense,” He said quickly. “Money’s not all he wants to send me, though. He’s thinking about paying me a fuckin’ visit. He’s such a dick…he didn’t even mention my mother and ask about how she’s doing. I guess he doesn’t care…he doesn’t care about anything, except for money,” Justin buried his face in his hands and rubbed his hands against his face.

Melanie frowned and put a comforting hand on his shoulder. She didn’t know what to tell him, so she didn’t say much. She had to admit though, it was pretty strange that his dad only asked about Justin. “It’s okay, hun. Try not to think about it too much. Dwelling on it will on make you angrier,” She rubbed his shoulder now.

Justin relaxed under her touch, and looked up at his friend. “You’re right…you’re always right. I bet you you’re tired of hearing me bitch and moan huh?” He grinned and sat back in his seat now.

“No,” she stuck out her bottom lip and shook her head. “I like listening to you, Justin. Makes less time for you to badger me about my problems,” She grinned and looked up at him.

Justin looked at her out the corner of his eye and sighed. He pushed her thigh jokingly, “When are you gonna tell me what’s going on in that head of yours? Like why you haven’t been looking into places about dancing, missy?”

Melanie snapped her head in his direction, “How did you know?”

“For one, I have my connections. Two, I can just tell when you talk about it.”

“Oh, so you’re that smart now?”

“I’ve always been smart, girl. But, seriously do you have any idea how good you are? You could get some major scholarships and major money for doing that shit. You got mad skills, girl,” He stated.

Melanie blushed and looked out the window. She stared at the white snow that was barely melting on the sidewalk. Justin tapped her shoulder lightly and looked at her.

“What’s been going on with you and Damien?” he asked sincerely. He wasn’t going to push her into it, if she wasn’t willing to be forced.

Melanie shook her head and sighed. “I’m not gonna tell you until you tell me about that girl that’s in your wallet,” She grinned coyly.

She remembered the time she looked through Justin’s wallet one day, when they went out to eat. There was a girl, who looked to be about 5’6 or taller. She had light, caramel skin and one could tell that she was mixed with white and black. The mysterious girl reminded Melanie of Beyonce Knowles when she took her first glance, from her light brown hair, to her golden skin.

The girl looked like she could pass for a super model with her ‘Coke bottle shape’. Whoever it was, Melanie knew she couldn’t compete with her. The picture looked like it had been taken at the beach; the girl wasn’t wet though. Just clad in cut of jean shorts and a red bikini top. The wind was blowing her hair about, but she managed to smile whole-heartedly for the camera.

Justin became quiet upon recognition of which Melanie was referring to. “Uh…somebody back home,” Justin began to buckle his seat belt and turned to the front. Shakily, he turned the key in the ignition and the truck roared.

Melanie stared at the side of his face with bewilderment. It made her even more curious as to why he would keep something like that so secretive. “Well, she’s really pretty.”

As Justin pulled away from the side of the road, she kept her eyes on him. Justin sensed her perseverance and was beginning to become annoyed. He wasn't fond of people staring dead at him. “Stop,” He commanded with his eyes on the road.

Melanie curled her lip, shook her head, and turned the other way. “You’re weird, milk.”

“Yeah, well I have reasons to be.”

**

Puddles from the somewhat melted snow were on the cement. Students walked over them with ease. It was 6:45, approximately fifteen minutes until the big game started and kids were still outside, waiting in line to purchase their tickets. The ladies working the booth, hurried in a frenzy as they opened their metal boxes and pulled out change and tickets.

“Next!” a tempered, short lady yelled.

Students hurried down the vacant hallways as they talked amongst the people they’d shown up with. The walked into the gym, the overhead lights beaming down on them, and found spots to sit. Once again, people were divided by race, but more so who the hung out with. They weren’t in school, so everyone loosened up with their jeans on and large jackets. Music was playing to keep people entertained while they waited on the games beginning. Some people moved about and conversed with others, while some sat and stuffed their faces with food.

~ Meanwhile ~

The room was small, with carpeted floors. A couple of chalkboards were scattered about, and there was one large black board placed in the middle of the room. On the blackboard were scribbled ‘X’s and ‘O’s. Each shape showing the basketball players their designated spots on the court, and the first play they’d run. Coach Walker, in Dockers and a Maroon shirt that said ‘Calumet’ on the top left side, stood from his sitting position on a long desk and clapped his hands.

“Gentlemen, this is the first game of the season. Let’s make this one like the last. Let’s go all the way, fellas. You are all on this team because you had faith in yourselves and proved to me that I should have faith in each and every one of you. I respect that. I respect you all. Okay…my starters. Let’s see…Damien, Jerome, Samuel, Mike, and I need a guard. Uh, Leroy play the post,” He announced.

Leroy nodded his head, and stretched his super long legs. The boy stood at about 6’11.

Damien looked over to Justin and chuckled at him sadistically. It was his way of rubbing it in Justin’s face that he wasn’t starting. Justin didn’t notice, however. He had too many things on his mind as it was.

Just then, he saw one of the things that had constantly been on his mind walked into the room. He watched Melanie saunter up to Coach Walker and whisper something in his ear, and in return, he nodded. Melanie smiled. Justin had grown quite fond of that smile. Her smile was contagious.

She addressed the small room of boys now, and folded her hands together. “Okay…every year the girls give out little good luck things to the seniors on the team. So, we’re about to give y’all your gift bags and we wanna tell you good luck.”

The boys awed jokingly and Melanie chuckled. She opened the door further, allowing the other steppers to walk in with things in their hands.

Jerome furrowed his eyebrows and asked, “Why are y’all in jerseys and warm-up pants?” The rest of the boys agreed and Melanie grinned.

“You’ll see when the game starts,” Melanie looked for what she’d put together. She saw him in the back of the room with his feet propped up on another chair, and earphones in his ears. She picked out her gift easily because her was the only one that wasn’t in a maroon or blue colored bag. Melanie spent extra time putting it together, because she wanted it to be special for his first game.
She walked over to him slowly, but he didn’t acknowledge her until she nudged his leg.
Justin looked up at her and pulled the earphones out. Behind her back, she pulled out a beach bucket that was turquoise and a matching plastic shovel that went with it. Attached onto the handle of the bucket by a small chain, was a tiny surfboard. Justin fingered it and grinned. Melanie watched him as he looked inside the bucket. Slowly, he pulled out a small plastic bottle of milk and laughed as he looked at it.

“Cute,” He said.

Melanie chuckled and said, “Good luck, Justin.”
With that, she left and let him look at the other contents that were in the beach bucket.

~ During the Game ~

“Come on! What the hell do you think you’re doing? Play some defense!” Coach Walker yelled to Damien.

Justin sat on the bench as it came toward the end of the first quarter, and sipped on his Gatorade. He shook his head at Damien’s cockiness, which was causing them to loose by ten and only in the first quarter. Damien had hardly passed the ball, and tried to go for shots that were unreasonable and stupid.

One of Fenger’s players dribbled the ball rapidly down the court and got into a formation. The ball was thrown around the key and Calumet’s players stayed on their man. Justin’s eyes widened at the opposite team’s formation. He recognized it because it was the same play that he ran when he was in California. Justin looked to Coach Walker, who had a perplexed look on his face. It was obvious that he’d never seen that kind of play ran before and he was confused.

“Coach, tell Leroy to stay where he is and not to move. Tell Jerome to move to the top of the key. That way, when the point guard goes to shoot, Jerome’s in his way, throws him off and causes the guy to foul Leroy,” Justin instructed.

Coach Walker looked down at Justin and motioned for Jerome to move and Leroy to stay put. Justin watched Fenger run their play unsuccessfully and clapped when Leroy was fouled.

“Leroy Jones will go to the line,”

The coach turned to Justin and told him to take off his warm up suite while Leroy took his first shot. Justin went to the substitution table and informed the people sitting there that he’d be going in for Damien, just like Coach Walker had ordered.

The referee blew his whistle and motioned for Justin to come onto the court. Justin obliged and jogged to the key, and tucked his jersey into his pants as he did so. He tapped Damien on the shoulder, signaling that he needed to go sit down. Damien clenched his fists and rolled his eyes before taking a seat.

Mike, who was boxed out and standing next to Justin, nodded his head at him. Leroy shot the second shot, and missed, but Justin got the rebound. He slowly dribbled up the court and spotted Damien’s man. After realizing what he needed to do, and the play he’d set up, he picked up his pace across the floor. Justin crossed over the guy who was guarding him, found Samuel, and tossed him a ‘no-look’ pass, allowing Samuel to score two points.

Coach Walker grinned from his position on the court and the crowd cheered.

Fenger was taking the ball back to their side of the court now, and Justin peddled backwards up the court. He kept his eye on the ball that was bouncing in front of him and moved with his opponent that was trying to get away from him. His opponent, realizing he couldn’t pass the ball, squared up to shoot. Justin noticed his actions and knocked the ball from its journey to the hoop.

The crowd cheered at Justin’s block and Mike caught the ball that was hit in his direction. He dribbled it rapidly to the key, faked a shot, and passed it back to Jerome, who was behind him. Jerome threw the ball to Leroy, who in turn threw it to Samuel. Samuel caught the ball, and stood dribbling near the sideline. He dribbled past his opponent, spun on his heels, and let the ball soar up to Justin, who was standing at the top of the three-point line. Justin shot the ball, letting it slip from the bottom of his hand, and soar into the hoop-nothing but net.

People stood to their feet, Coach Walker pumped his fist enthusiastically, and the steppers did a short step.

*

Justin wiped the sweat from his forehead as he walked slowly down the hallways of the school. They had won the game 97 to 82 and Justin had finished with 28 points, 4 rebounds, and 8 assists. His duffel bag swung at his side as he pulled his keys from one of the pockets.

“Justin!” a masculine voice called from behind him.

Justin turned around slowly to face the stranger, who was now running up to him. He was a short white man with large glasses plaster on his face. His fancy dress shoes clicked against the tile floors as he walked.

Once he reached Justin, he introduced himself. “I’m Richard Washington. I’m from Michigan State. I’ll be a scout this year. I just wanted to let you know that the school has been watching your performance since you were back in California. It was hard to track you down. But, I wanted to let you know that we’ll be watching you carefully…we’re officially impressed with you’re status,” He complemented and bid Justin goodbye.

A slow grin came upon Justin’s face and he continued to walk out the school. He slowly stepped down the steps at the front of the school, but stopped abruptly when some yelled words of caution to him. He couldn’t quite make out all of what they were saying, but it sounded like they were telling him to get down.

“What?” Justin said aloud.

All off a sudden repetitive gun shots were heard, as Justin dropped to the floor, he saw a large, black Cadillac roll past the school. The gun that was pointing out the window had been pulled back into the car. Shrill screams were heard around the campus.

Melanie, who saw Justin go down from a distance, ran to him once everything seemed fine. She hurried up the steps frantically and shook him.

“Justin!” she yelled and shook him again.

Melanie rolled him over so that she could see his face. No blood stained it, but dirt was pressed to it. Justin’s eyelashes began to flutter open and Melanie’s eyes rolled as she sighed deep sighs of relief. He wasn’t all there, though. He looked like he had taken a hard fall.

“Justin, talk to me.”

His eyes began to close again. “Don’t- no-don’t do that!” Melanie begged.

Justin closed his eyes and disappeared back into his reminiscent state of mind.

*
The salty beach water crashed on the lovers’ backs. Justin grinned at Kelice boyishly as she wrapped her legs around his waist and allowed her boyfriend to hold her in the water. She ran her caramel colored hands through his springy curls and smiled at him. His eyes were as blue as the ocean and he stared at her hazel ones lovingly. Justin rubbed her bare back and spun around slowly in the water.

They stayed out in the ocean staring at each other, saying nothing because they didn’t need to. They knew the love was there.
Kelice moved in and kissed Justin seductively. He groaned in return and let his tongue massage hers. Reluctantly, she pulled away because she had something to tell him.

“Baby, promise me something?” She pressed her forehead to his.

“Anything,” He said barely above a whisper.

“Promise me that whatever happens, you’ll still love me. Don’t leave me by myself, Justin,” She pleaded.

Justin kissed her shortly. “I’ll never leave you. I love you baby,” He smiled; causing her to smile back in return. “Besides, how could I let someone as fine as you, go?”

Kelice only giggled and Justin pushed her wet locks out of her face, “I don’t know what I’d do with myself without you.”



Justin’s eyes snapped open and he realized that he wasn’t under the bright, California sun and no water was surrounding him. Kelice wasn’t sexily grinning at him. Instead, he was greeted with the pale moon, and the Chicago snow that decorated the ground. Melanie was looking down at him, with worry plastered on her face.

“I gotta go,” He finally said and rose his head from Melanie’s lap.

He stood, gathered his things, and rushed past the crowd that had formed.
Melanie sat, watching his retreating form, dumbfounded.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki