Gray Dreams by Babymamma787


Number of reviews: 69
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


The beaming, California sun shone bright that day. Springtime had come, and the birds chirped joyously because of it. Soft breezes and distant sounds of movement were heard momentarily. The breezes pushed through the transparent curtains that hung from the top of the window seal. They fluttered in the wind and too made noises, while the rhythmic sound of the ocean danced through the gated community that was atop the hills.

The curly-headed boy tossed and turned under the covers of his Heavenly bed with discontentment, and tried to untangle himself from his satin sheets. With a huff, he threw back the bundle of sheets using one good shove, and sat up. His piercing blue eyes were cloudy and unfocused from just being opened and they roamed around the vast room curiously. The boy looked down at the white tiger lying on the floor. It was just a rug, but he found joy in it, nonetheless. How many sixteen-year-old boys could say that he had a tiger rug lying on his floor, at the foot of his bed?

He then ran a hand though his disheveled hair and shook out any of the invisible clutter that may have gotten in. He then heard the wind bustle through the curtains, so he turned and looked behind him. Noticing that the glass doors to the balcony were opened, letting the air pass through, the boy then threw his legs over the bed and trotted to the elevated, outside portion of his room. He looked down at the green lawn and the workers down below, trimming the hedges and such.

The community was quiet that Saturday morning for some reason. He digressed to the previous night, causing him to wonder if he were sober or not. Things couldn’t be that peaceful in the house he lived in. Nobody was yelling orders, no assistants calling his name or dressing him up, and no phone calls from his buddies that planned to have the next big party. It was then that he realized he was sober…for the first time that whole week. Usually, every morning, he’d wake up with a hangover or just an incredibly bad attitude. He didn’t blame himself for that, though. He blamed his father. If he didn’t have to witness his own father doing to women what he and his friends often joked about; he wouldn’t be smoking, or heavily drinking. Everyone goes through things in their life, and he was sure it was a phase that would soon pass.

His assistant and maid suddenly threw open the large double doors that had secluded his room from the rest of the large house. The everyday routine had hit him again…harder for some reason. He’d wished every night, sober or not, to leave so that he wouldn’t have to see his mother’s pain-stricken face. The hope for peace, quiet, and freedom had gone now, for he was bombarded once again.

“Justin, you have to be at the Grangers’ in 45 minutes. I feel so bad, I let you oversleep…” Kirsten, his assistant, rambled. “Kelice called and said you’d be going to her parents’ brunch in the same car…that way you two can be alone.”

The Grangers were considered his family, to him at least. But, waking up early was not included in the application to being Kelice Granger’s boyfriend.

Kirsten held up the shirt that he would wear, waiting upon his approval. He said nothing to her, and only stared. He was tired of being dressed by other people. “Justin, you’re not high again are you?” She sighed loudly, “I’m tired of having to cover for your ass! Every morning you have a hang over! Every afternoon you’re faded! What is your problem, Justin? Is there something you need to talk about? Why are you doing this to yourself?”

~~~
Why am I doing this to myself? I don’t need to be bitching over some girl, especially a blinded one who wouldn’t know a lie from the truth if it hit her in the face. I mean how dense do you have to be to be able to tell when someone is lying? ‘Oh Melanie, I’m gonna support you from now on.’

Blah blah BLAH; woopty woopty woo!

We have a scrimmage tonight…who the hell has a game on Valentine’s Day? That ruins the whole premise behind getting ass. Not that I’m going to be getting any.

I don’t get shit anymore!

I’m going to fail my Economics test tomorrow, which is embarrassing cause I used to be rich. Then, that will give me a C- in the class. My ass is gonna get grilled by my mother. Never in my life have I gotten below a B.

I don’t even know who we’re playing…people are coming to watch though. They might as well call it a damn basketball game. They probably just don’t want it to sound too demanding since it’s a holiday.

I don’t think I’m going to play in the game today. I don’t want to. God is really going to have to hold me back from throwing the ball at Damien’s head!

Two more minutes of school left…

This day needs to be over. Maybe if I don’t completely STARE at the clock, it will move. I turned my head and looked around the classroom. Everyone had started to pack their things and slide their bags onto their shoulders. Just about every girl in the class had something that was red, white, or pink attached to them in some way.

I think I’m just bitter. Maybe that’s why I’m only noticing things that have to do with V-day. Oh God, I can’t believe I just said ‘v-day’. That sounds way too much like V-card.

Why me?

The sound of the bell is like music to my ears. I rushed out the classroom and pushed by some short guy. I rushed through the hallways too, until I got to my locker. I pulled my basketball out, and balanced it between my arm and my hip. I have free time after school, now that Melanie’s gone. I get to brush up on my game.

Hey! I pointed out something good today! I deserve a cookie for that one…I deserve something!

Eww…what did she do to her hair? Did she try and cut it herself? Looks like she doesn’t know how to use a paper shredder. Glad I don’t know her…

The cold air hit me in the face when I walked out of the school. I skipped down the steps briskly and made my way to my truck just the same. It’s really dark out here today, like it’s going to start raining cats and dogs. I walked through the large parking lot a little while longer until I saw my truck…parked next to Damien’s old Camero.

As I threw my stuff in the back seat, I heard two people’s laughter that I recognized instantly.
Please, God. Not today- I’ve been through enough.
Melanie and Damien’s voices came closer now, and as I walked around to the driver’s side of my truck, I noticed that he parked at an angle. He probably couldn’t color in the lines when he was younger either.

Gah!

Slowly, I opened my door and tried not to hit his little black car. If they weren’t standing right there, I would’ve just thrown the door open, no doubt.

“Hey, Justin,” Damien said.

Why is he talking to me? Did I say anything to him? I’m already halfway in my car, trying to leave!

He continued to talk, nonetheless. “Ready to win tonight?”

HA! Oh…my…gosh! You’ve got to be shitting me! This guy is a class act. I opened my door further now and looked at Melanie, waiting to get in on the passenger side. She’ll have to wait a little longer. “It’s just a scrimmage, Damien.”

Damien nodded his head and grinned, “I know, but still. Scrimmages are always fun. Especially when the number one team is playing. I’m glad that you’re relaxed about it though. I think that’s good for you…you don’t need to be all stressed out before a game. It throws you off, man.”

DUH! Who is he trying to impress? I watch Dr. Phil- I hear that karma crap all the time! Dr. Phil is a very intelligent man, actually. Way better than Oprah- she looks like a walrus don’t you think?

“Uh…yeah. I’m gonna go now.” I said and climbed all the way in.

“Okay. I’ll see you at the game, playboy.”

WOW. I’m not his playboy, his pimpin’, his home skillet, home fry, homie G, or his cuz. I’m officially offended. I turned on the car, and backed out. Of course Melanie acted like she didn’t know me at all. She hadn’t said hi to me all day. But, I should’ve known the ‘great one’ wouldn’t speak to me, now that Damien’s ‘a changed man’.

The dude fronts more than Pharrell and Jay-Z.

I don’t have the urge to go to the basketball courts and shoot a round anymore. I just want to go home, lay down and eat the ice cream that I just bought. Nobody had better touched it, either. I put my name on it this time because last time, everybody decided to eat it before I even got some! They acted like they had never seen any ice cream before!
Oh, thanks for cutting me off, man. I thought drivers in LA were bad! I was one of them, and now I come here and things aren’t any better. I need to get some tire chains for real though. I didn’t even know what those were when I was in LA. I turned onto my street now and looked at the other houses. Nothing was going on.

Why is this neighborhood so boring?

Why is there a black, stretch limo in my driveway? I pulled up behind it, turned off the car and got out. I walked next to it and looked at blue flag that was on a small pole. Looks kinda like the limo I used to ride in when I went to business functions with my-

“Justin, look what daddy got me!” Steven came running out the house now, holding a silver electronic device.

An MP3 player? “When did you get this, Steven?”

“Right now!” Looking at the joy and excitement on my brother’s face was inescapable. He’d never been that happy since we moved. “Daddy got mommy flowers and stuff! He left all this stuff for you on the bed and your credit cards and stuff!” Steven tugged on my hand.

I can’t move. This is so not happening.

“Come on, Justin! Daddy wants to see you!”

~~
Justin stood quietly in his tranquil home. No one was awake, he presumed, for it was in the wee hours of the morning. The only light shining, was the light in the foyer, where Justin stood waiting on his father to walk into his mansion.

He watched his father sluggishly and drunkenly trudge up the winding driveway. His Armani clothing clung to his body sloppily and Randall pulled out the keys to open the door.
Justin anticipated what he would say to his father, for he was slightly disillusioned himself. It was a Friday night, and he’s a teenager…he’s supposed to have fun. But, his father, a grown man, had no business being out late night at all.
The prestigious lawyer walked into the foyer now and a smug grin came across his face when he saw his son sitting on a small chair by the window. “Give it a rest, son.” Randall shook his head. “Every hint that you give your mother is useless.”

Justin stood up immediately and stood face to face with his father. “You can’t keep doing this forever, ya know. She’ll find out and she’ll have your ass for it. Mom’s gonna leave you so quick, you’re head will be swimming.”

Randall laughed in his son’s face. “Teenager’s these days are so damn naïve. I can’t believe you have the nerve to up to me and try to throw this crap in my face! What is Lynn going to do to me? Sue me? How…she has no money and I’m a lawyer. She leaves me-she’ll still be BROKE. Either way, I win, and she knows that. Your mother isn’t stupid, Justin. I guess some genes were messed up because you are being incredibly stupid about this thing, son.”

Justin shook his head. “I just want to know why you’re doing this. You don’t need to cheat on her, just because you’re wealthy.”

Randall shoved his shoulder lightly. “I’m doing it simply because I can. You’re wealthy too, Justin. It’s not like I’m hogging all the money! I have you and your brothers in the top schools! I give you ridiculous amounts of money…you have absolutely no reason to be complaining and you know it. You just want the attention.”

“I’m going to tell mom.”

Randall laughed again. “Don’t you get it? I don’t care, Justin! You’re all about loyalty and that petty shit! I think I’ve been pretty loyal to you.”

Justin shook his head at his father’s statement, “No you haven’t.”

Randall stepped closer to Justin and lowered his voice. “I see you with your friends, Justin. I see you come in drunk. I see you come in as high as the sky. What’s funny is that you think you’re slick and that no one notices what a waste you’ve become. You’re throwing your life away because you’re so damn sensitive, Justin. Every time you see me with another woman, you go light something up or buy a beer. I’m ashamed to have such a stupid son.”

Justin tried to speak, but his father interjected. “Don’t say anything. Go ahead and tell your mother about what I do in private, and I’ll tell her the things you do when you think no one’s looking. You’ll be the first one to go, believe me. Either that, or all of you will end up some place you don’t want to be…probably somewhere cold. Both ways, I win.”

Justin scowled, “I hate you.”

Randall grinned, “I love you too, son. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to lie down next to my wife. Oh…I saw Kelice earlier today. She’s a cutie.” Randall nodded his head, “Goodnight, sport.”


~~~
I slowly walked behind Steven and into our small house. I looked around and saw roses and tulips on the kitchen table. It even smelled rich in here now.

“There he is! My star basketball player of a son!”

I was quiet as I watched this idiot walk across the living room and over to me, with his arms open wide. He really expects me to hug him?

I’ll hug Damien before I hug him.

“Get away from me,” I said. WHOA! Where did that come from? Oh well…I don’t care. I walked down the hallway and toward my room. I shut the door and turned on the stereo as loud as it went.

What the hell am I gonna do? My Dad is here. Are we going home? Is my mother gonna be a wimp and just forget that he cheated on her with all of Beverly Hills? Well, at least he brought me back some stuff. Look at that…I picked up my acoustic guitar that was leaning against my bed. He was even smart enough to bring me my guitar.

Now, I can hit him with it.

“JUSTIN!” I heard my mother yell.

Here we go. Should I bring the guitar? Nah…I’ll let the man breathe. I walked out into the hallway and towards the living room. My brothers were sitting on the floor, playing with their toys like it was Christmas.

“Sit down,” Mom said.

I obeyed her, and sat on the couch across from my parents. I glared at my dad, and he sat there, taking it all in like it was nothing. What a goober.

“I think you owe your father an apology,” My mom directed.

“I don’t owe him shit. He owes me an apology,” I shot back. Who does she think I am?

“We, as a family need to talk…that’s why I brought you in here,” My mom said.

“Well, I have a game tonight, so I can’t talk long.” I said. “Can we get done with this little ‘talk’ in say…a half an hour cause Dr. Phil is waiting.”

My mom rolled her eyes. Figures-she’s an Oprah watcher. “Justin, I need you to be serious.”

“I am being serious! Do you see me smiling?”

“Young man, don’t talk to your mother like that,” Randall said.

Oh no he’s not trying to say shit to me. “Don’t talk to me at all, you whore!”

“JUSTIN!” My mother yelled again.

This is fun…ha. My mom yells, I yell back, my dad steps in, and my mom yells again. Now, she’s gonna tell me to say sorry.

“Apologize…now, Justin.” I told you.

“I’m sorry, daddy,” I said with a fake, sympathetic face. “I’m not in a very good mood right now. Besides, I don’t communicate well with ignorant people ya know? Just a little thing that I-“

“Justin, shut up!” My mom yelled.

Ouch. I stared at her…she’s never just flat out told me to shut up. Yeah…little miss Lynn must be getting some booty tonight cause she’s trying to act all tough. I eyed my ‘father’, who just so happened to be grinning.

Where’s my damn guitar?

Randall leaned forward now. “Justin, I just thought I’d drop buy to tell your mother ‘Happy Valentines Day.’”

“Well, that was a waste of money…why can’t you be normal and just call? You can afford a long distance call.”

My mom sighed with aggravation and, my ‘dad’ continued to talk. “Justin, don’t make this harder than it needs to be.” He’s the one who had his dick harder than it needed to be. I’m still innocent. “We’re going to you’re game tonight. It’ll be like a family outing.”

“So that means you’re not going?” HA! That shut his ass up real quick. “That’s okay, you never went to any of my games anyway. You were too busy…working.”

My mom sighed loudly. Does she have indigestion or something? I only make loud noises like that when I have the bubbles. I looked at my watch…almost time for Dr. Phil. “Can I go now?”

“No,” My ‘dad’ said.

“Why the hell not?” I need to get ready anyway. “And who are you to-“

“Justin, we have to head to the school. Your coach called and said he wanted you guys there early.”

“So I don’t get to watch TV? Today, Dr. Phil is talking to torn families!” I yelled. This is ridiculous! What is the world coming to? A grown ass man can’t even watch his shows!

“Get OVER it, Justin and get into the car,” My mom said through gritted teeth.

Pt. 2

Justin stepped out of his dad’s limo and hurriedly made his way into the gym. The last thing he wanted was to be seen with them. Depression had consumed his thoughts now, and he simply didn’t want to be bothered. More clouds rolled in and it began to drizzle. Justin pulled his gym bag off his shoulder, and sat it on top of his head in order to stay as dry as possible. Shoes clicking on the pavement made Justin turn around, and it was then that he noticed his family following him.

With a roll of his eyes, he spoke. “What are you doing?”

His parents and brothers, being shielded from the rain by the large umbrellas that the limo driver and Randall’s assistant held up, looked at him curiously.

Justin sighed. “Nothing is going to happen for another hour or so. So why don’t you go get something to eat, or something?” He turned around and mumbled, “Disappear or something.”

He then proceeded into the just about empty school, quietly. Contrary to the school, the gym was lively and people were walking around everywhere. All the lights were on and the music was playing loud. At center court, the steppers practiced their routine…without Melanie. Justin walked over to the bench, sat his duffel bag down, and began to stretch.
Kevin, a forward on the team, was stretching next to him and Justin said hi. “You know where Damien is at, milk?” Kevin asked.

“I have no idea, man.” Justin said and bent over to stretch the back of his legs. He looked between them and saw the girls dancing just the same, even though their captain wasn’t there. It surprised him because usually, she was the first to show up. Just then, he felt a towel hit him on the butt.

“Hey, pimpin’. Come practice with me,” Mike said.

Justin stood now, and followed his friend onto the court. On the way, Mike pulled a ball off of the rack. He then stood at the free throw line and shot the ball. After it fell through the hoop, Justin went to get his rebound and passed the ball back to his friend.

“How much you wanna bet Damien is getting some ass?”
Mike asked and shot the ball from the three-point line-missed.

Justin jogged to the ball and dribbled it, while showing off his handling, before nailing the same three- pointer that Mike missed. “I’m not a gambler.”

Mike gave Justin his change before nodding to Jerome, who had just walked through the large doors. ”Jerome is probably gonna get some too.”

Justin chuckled and shot the ball again. “From who? His mama?” The ball went in the hoop, and he was starting to surprise himself because he was playing so well.

“Damn…let me shoot every once in a while.” Mike said. Justin shot again and Mike shouted, “Brick!” It threw Justin’s concentration off like planned, and he grabbed the bouncing ball. “At lunch, Jerome gave Chasity some stuff for Valentines Day, in front of the whole squad, homie. She got all sappy and shit.” Mike shook his head and shot again. “That nigga’s gon’ get some serious booty.”

“Are they together now?” Justin asked and stole the ball from Mike.

“I have no clue. I doubt it…he says he doesn’t want to be tied down senior year.” Mike played one on one with Justin now, and stole the ball back. He shot and made it in. “What now?” he challenged.

“Chasity is a cool girl. He should get with her.” Justin said and shot flawlessly from the outside.

Mike caught the ball that drifted through the hoop. “Jerome’s a player though. You didn’t know that? As much as y’all hang out?”

Justin watched Mike shoot the ball again and made it. “We haven’t kicked it in a while.” He said quietly.

Mike stopped dribbling the ball and looked at his friend. “Cause you and Melanie been kickin’ it huh?” A smug grin came to Mike’s face as he watched a blushing Justin walk to the bench and sit down.

Mike followed after him and sat next to him. He was grinning widely at his friend and he shoved him. “Come on, man. Everyone on the team knows you two like each other. You know you wanna hit that, man.”

Jerome came and sat down next to Justin. He began to lace up his new tennis shoes and asked, “What are y’all niggas talkin’ ‘bout?”

Justin looked at Jerome questioningly. Mike chuckled and Jerome looked up, oblivious to what he had just said. Justin spoke up. “You need to rephrase your sentence. One of your nouns were plural.” He grinned.

“Oh!” Jerome slowly nodded his head, “What are y’all…bump that, man. Same thing, you’re close enough.”

Mike fell out laughing and Justin rose his eyebrows. “Whatever you say. Anyway, we weren’t talking about anything.”

Mike sobered up quickly and said, “Don’t let this fool lie to you. We were talking about Melanie and how much he wants to hit that!”

Justin shot Mike a glare and shook his head. “Shut up!”

Jerome laughed at Justin. “Aw it’s okay lover boy. Everybody knows, I bet some of the girls even know.”

Justin shook his head. “Y’all don’t know shit.”

Samuel came over and sat down next to Mike. “Hey yo. What time does the game start?”

The boys stopped there laughing immediately and looked at Samuel. Jerome smacked his teeth and shook his head.

“Damn, cuz. You always come in at the wrong time! We’ ain’t even talkin’ about that right now, man.” Jerome laughed at the end of his statement, and made the others laugh while Samuel rolled his eyes.

Justin spoke. “The game starts in like a half an hour. I don’t think they’re gonna count it as a scrimmage. They’re probably going to count it as if it were a real game, cause scrimmages are at the beginning of a season.”

The boys nodded their head with agreement. It was safe to say that they had great respect for Justin. They had only admiration for him because he was new to Chicago, but he still did what he had to do to gain respect. Justin felt safe saying that his teammates, all twelve of them, were truly his friends and he would miss them at graduation.

Leroy came and sat next to Jerome tiredly. The tall senior outstretched his legs and slouched low in his seat. “Look at us, man. It’s Valentines Day, we ain’t got no girls…and we stuck playin’ basketball. Damien’s out getin’ his and we just stuck on stupid.”

Samuel laughed. “Speakin’ of being lonely.” He leaned over and eyed Justin. “Did y’all see the homie, milk, throw a tantrum before school started?”

Justin shook his head and stood up. He sadly made his way to the court, trying to ignore his friends’ calls and jokes that they threw at him. Leroy walked behind him, and patted Justin on the back. Justin turned around, and Leroy turned and faced the guys, who were grinning.

“Who am I?” Leroy asked and pretended to slam his locker shut and stalk away.

The boys fell out laughing, which caused some people to look at them quizzically. Leroy continued to joke, and the boys continued to laugh. Justin stood there, saying nothing for a while.

He didn’t think anyone had seen him. “Damn, man. Y’all are always talking shit!” Justin then grabbed a ball and began to shoot.

Mike laughed, “Hey, cuz. We just messin’ with you…the love’s there, bro.”

The whole team walked onto the court now, and began to play a game of change. Justin was the first to shoot, and made the first basket.

“Shit, we might as well sit down. Justin isn’t gonna miss one.” Jerome chided.

They all laughed as Justin still shot the basketball. “I’m on fire.” He grinned.

Samuel chimed in. “Hey, did y’all see that big ass limo sittin’ out front?”

Justin stopped dribbling the ball and looked at Samuel. “That was my Dad,” He said.

Leroy widened his head, “For real?” He chuckled, “I didn’t know you were rollin’ like that, man.”

Justin shot a three-point and missed. “I’m not,” He sighed. “To make a long story short, me and my pops don’t get along anymore, cat’s shady. So me, my mom, and brothers moved over here.”

Mike shook his head. “Hol’ up, hol’ up. So, it’s true that yo ass used to be makin’ bank? You lived in this big ass house too?”

Justin nodded his head. “It got old after awhile, ya know? Money does things to you.”

The boys nodded and Jerome said, “I feel you. I’m sure y’all know your reasons for coming out here, bro. But, I’m glad you came, cause your game is sick.”

Justin grinned, “Thanks, man.”

The boys shot and joked around some more before the other team, Bowen High, walked in the gym proudly. The bleachers were beginning to become occupied by students and neighborhood people.

Samuel tapped Justin on the shoulder, “We’re playing Bowen?”

Justin grinned. “Didn’t we murder them during street ball week?”

Samuel laughed and slapped Justin’s hand as they snickered on the bench. “This game is about to be hella easy, man.”

Coach Walker made his way to the bench, and looked extremely upset. The team knew why he was angry and he had every right to be. Damien and Melanie hadn’t shown up yet and the game would be starting in ten minutes. Justin turned around and looked at the crowd behind him. They cheered for him when they noticed he was looking, and he blushed. He noticed his family sitting in the middle, talking animatedly amongst each other, and it irked his nerves. Justin knew that there had to be another reason for his father’s visit than what he’d made up. His father was persuasive because he was a lawyer, meaning he knew exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it.

“Justin, you’re captain today,” Walker announced.

“What?” Justin snapped his head around and looked at his coach as if he were crazy. “I can’t be captain. I don’t know what I’m doing.”

The boys chuckled at Justin’s paranoid antics and Coach Walker quieted them. “Yes, you do. Damien’s not here, so you’re going to take over. Jerome will back you up…we’re on defense. Which play do you wanna run?”

Justin sat there, slightly dumfounded as he just stared at the basketball court. “Let’s go the zone and see how that works. If it doesn’t work well, man-to-man.” He looked around, “Uh…Leroy, play the post.”

With that, Jerome, Samuel, Mike, Justin, and Leroy stood, and put their hands in to prepare for their chant.

“Let’s throw this game to Justin.” Mike announced and Justin said no, but they did, nonetheless. “’Milk’ on three!” Mike shouted and the boys executed it, by throwing their hands in the air.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki