Gray Dreams by Babymamma787


Number of reviews: 69
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Three Days Later...

You gotta take the good with the bad
And you might hit the wall
Sometimes you’ll fly
And sometimes you will fall
There ain’t no way to avoid the pain
But, it’s getting burned- that’s how you will learn
To come back to the middle


The harsh Chicago winds bustled through the town restlessly as people made their way down the streets, knowing not to let the weather mess up their nights. The extremely cold climate caused some people to bunch closer together to create body heat, while walking around. Patches and mounds of snow varied throughout the streets. The fragile trees hinged in the wind carelessly, some making whisking sounds as they did so. The street light’s colors reflected against the puddles that lay idly in the streets, allowing cars and people to go through them. The moon cast a shadow on the town and made Wellington Park appear eerie from where Melanie stood, across the street. As she waited on the light to change, she stood with her gloved hands in her pockets, and slightly bouncing, to keep herself slightly warm.

She saw a few people playing in the park, despite the cold weather-she assumed they were used to it. Some boys played on the basketball courts animatedly. When the light changed, she wrapped her scarf tighter around her neck and let out the small breath she’d been holding, and her brown eyes stared at her condensed breath as it passed through her lips. Melanie stepped onto the curb now, and walked on the wet grass cautiously making sure she didn’t step in anything. The wind kicked up again as she neared the lit basketball courts. Her hair flew in her lowered face before she sat down on one of the benches. She enjoyed watching the game being played, not mattering who was playing. Her back melted into the hard bench when she exhaled and let her chaotic thoughts plague her brain. She didn’t even know who she was anymore.

Torn between being a compassionate friend and kind person, or tempted lover and confidant didn’t help her situation any. Melanie wished for something easier, better cards dealt because she was certainly losing her game of poker. She’d often found herself just wanting to get away from it all, and to someplace where she wouldn’t be judged before known. Somewhere, she could be herself and fully commit to it.

Needing to protect yourself
Now that is just apart of life
If you let your fears keep you from flying
You will never reach your height
To get to the top
You must come back to the middle
When will you learn?


She rose her head when she noticed someone shooting the ball roughly. The person was secretive in a way, for they were adorned in gray sweats and a large black sweatshirt, that was obviously too big for them. The individual then shot the ball again, this time making it in the hoop with the help of the rim. The identity grabbed its bouncing ball and played with a bit, by bouncing the ball through their legs a couple times, spinning and shooting the ball-making it in.

Melanie looked closer now, trying to make the being out and finding it hard because the hood of their sweatshirt was pulled down extremely low. She knew it was a guy by the way he carried himself, but he sparked her curiosity now. Melanie watched him dribble around the court one more time and go to the half court line. She smirked because he had courage enough to confidently shoot the ball and…make it in. Her mouth hung open momentarily before she closed it when she saw him turn in her direction and run to another spot of the court.

Melanie then was able to catch a glimpse of the stranger’s perfect and toned jaw line. She noticed it was tight, like he was angry just as she was. His shots were pretty forceful and he made them in ultimately by bouncing them off the backboard. She could tell he liked the loud noise it made and she didn’t mind, because it correlated with the sounds she heard in her brain- chaos.

Melanie switched around in her seat again and stared at the man curiously, while admiring his talent. She’d wished she could be like he was- dedicated. It was obvious by the way he played, which was extremely well. It seemed to be just him, the ball, and the court because he certainly hadn’t noticed her. She wished she could be as productive as he was with his craft. He probably had everything figured out, and there she was, sitting in the cold thinking at 10 o’ clock.

Don’t make no mind about falling down
Cause it’s when you’re in that valley
You can see both sides more clearly
Come back to the middle…


Suddenly, the sneakers squeaking, and the ball bouncing had stopped. Melanie rose her head, her eyes leading.
He was staring at her. Standing there, ball under his arm, not doing anything except for staring. Uncomfortably, she turned her head and looked the other way. It wasn’t that she was scared, she just couldn’t handle such and intense stare even though all she could see was his jaw line, not to mention his almost perfect lips.

Unexpectedly, the being began to dribble the ball again, but stood in the same spot and continued to stare. Melanie lowered her gaze now, and gazed at her fingers. She heard the ball go into the hoop, so she lifted her head, assuming he had his back turned.

He turned around again. Melanie lowered her head again and began to chuckle at her stupidity.

*
Oh so now she thinks it’s funny? Who the hell does she think she is? I knew she wasn’t going to come off of Damien’s high horse anytime soon, and was just going to keep acting like I don’t exist.

But, this is just…ridiculous! I’m standing maybe thirty feet from her, and she just keeps looking away. Do I honestly look that bad? I saw her when she came over, and sat her fine ass down on the bench, but I didn’t say anything to her because she looked like she was thinking. Obviously, not about me. I don’t want to scare her and make her think I’m some psycho stalker, so I’ll just leave her alone.

I shot the ball again, and this time missed. Stupid wind. If my hands weren’t so cold, I’d have a better grip on the ball, but I don’t care because I’m not trying to impress anyone at the moment…anymore. I just came to be one with the game- I sound like Ghandi. Be one with the game? What is that, Justin?

Anyway…my mother is depressed now. I’m sure you know why. That bastard just hit it and quit it. Actually, he didn’t even hit it, cause if he did, I would’ve hit him my dam self…not like that, but you know! For the past three days, she’s been moping around the house and sitting on her ass…she’s worse than me now. You’d think she’d be a little bit happier because he left us a whole bunch of money, but she said she didn’t want to be bought.

So I took it.

Hey! What was I supposed to do? I’m sorry, but money is just…money. It’s not like I stole it from her; I told her I was doing her a favor. So, I used it to buy some groceries and things for the house…and some new shoes-for the house of course. I mean, for me to walk around in the house in.

Yeah, anyway. Coach made me co-captain of the team, and the guys were happy about it. I don’t know why…they’re supposed to be Damien’s boys. Surprisingly, he wasn’t mad…but Melanie was in earshot when Coach announced it. But, that day when Damien didn’t show up at the game…he and Melanie came at halftime. Coach made me decide whether or not I thought he should play in the game since he missed the first half. We were in the strategy room, when he asked me this, so everyone, including Melanie, was looking at me. I surprised myself that time, and told Coach that I needed to think about it.

Not long, though- his ass warmed the bench the whole game, filled my cup, and dried my face off. Well, not really, but he was lookin’ pretty lost.

Speaking of lost, I turned and looked at Melanie, who is still sitting there quietly. Part of me, is saying to go over there and talk to her, but the other part is telling me to leave her the hell alone. Well, the part that’s in my pants…I don’t need to explain that one.

*
Melanie looked up and locked eyes with her watcher. She stared at him intently and grinned slightly. “Are you gonna just stare at me all night?”

“You’re the one who’s staring.” The person said back.

Suddenly, she recognized his voice. It was soft and humble, but the way he pronounced his words showed power. She’d only known one person who talked the way he did.

He licked his lips.

And licked his lips the way he did…only allowing a little amount of his tongue show, making his admirer want more.

“I was staring because you were,” Melanie said.

“No you weren’t,” He challenged, but stood where he was.

“How do you know?”

“You couldn’t even hold my stare for more than two seconds…that’s how I know. You never hold anyone’s stare for more than two seconds…unless you’re mad dogging them. I’ve been on the receiving end of that one too,” Justin said and turned around.

Melanie decided to get up and make her way over to him. He’d surprised her, definitely with how observant he was. And he’d hurt her also. Slowly, she stepped onto the court and faced him, catching the ball that hadn’t made it into the hoop.

“I didn’t even know who you were, Justin.”

“Oh, how could I have expected you to know who I was, when you don’t even know who you are? Give me my ball,” Justin demanded and held out his hands.

Melanie let her eyes turn into small slits as she glared at him. “First of all, you don’t even know me, so don’t give me that!”

“You’re right, I don’t know you…you’re so damn two faced I don’t know which part of you I want to know.” He said dispassionately.

Melanie shook her head and threw the ball at his chest, hoping he wouldn’t catch it. But, he caught it just as quickly as she’d thrown it.

“Come on! My brother throws better than that…the five year old.” He chided.

Melanie rolled her eyes and began to make her way out of the park-she didn’t have time for his immaturity. She pushed her hair out of her face and let the wind hit her in the face as she paced further from the park. The tears stung in the back of her throat and eyes, and humiliation poured over her soul.

The time is right, I’m gonna pack my bags
And take that journey down the road
Cause over the mountain, I see the bright sun shining
And I want to live inside the globe...


She heard him coming, but decided not to turn around and face him, simply because he had stated the truth. His footsteps came closer and for a moment, it seemed as if he were going to step on the back of her feet. Justin reached out and grabbed her upper arm, but she snatched it away from him silently. Melanie sped up her pace now, and progressed into a small jog.

“Melanie!” Justin called to her, his visible breath shooting out.

I wanna go to a place where I am nothing and everything
That exists between every and nowhere
I wanna go to a place where time has no consequences
The sky opens to my prayer…


He watched her as she began to drift from his view, but he wasn’t going to let her give up that easily. So, he threw the ball off somewhere in the distance, and ran after her. He would be able to buy a new one. Justin watched her cross the street hastily and he could tell she wasn’t sure of herself. Just by looking at her, he could see her fighting her conscience. When the light changed, he ran across the street before getting closer to her.

Melanie looked over her shoulder and saw him closer than he’d ever been and she rolled her eyes at him. “Leave me alone, Justin!” She yelled and wiped her eyes.

Justin kept up his pace, not out of breath yet. “No, tell me what’s wrong,” He pleaded.

“You wouldn’t understand, so just go away!” Melanie shouted.

Please understand that it’s not that I don’t care
Right now these walls are closing in on me…


Justin ran up to her when she stopped at the corner to wait for another light to change. “Melanie…”

“Shut up!” She turned in the other direction and began to walk the other way, cursing out loud because it had suddenly gotten cooler. The wind picked up a dampened feel, and she knew it was going to rain. Silently, she prayed that she could make it home before the rain started and that Justin would stop following her. She looked behind her again and saw that he was still there.

She stopped abruptly now, and looked at him. “Don’t you get it? I said leave…me…alone! You hate me remember? Why are you making an effort to talk to me all of a sudden?”

Justin shook his head and stared at her distraught features. “I don’t hate you…you just confuse me.”

Melanie rolled her eyes and began walking again. Justin tugged at her arm now, and pulled her closer to him. Small drops of water absorbed in their skin as they stood, he protectively holding her. He pushed the hair that was over her eyes and peered into her. Brown met with blue, and for a second, it was beautiful. Just like Justin had said, Melanie couldn’t hold his gaze and tried to push him away, but he wouldn’t let her. He moved her chin with his index finger and titled his head to look at her.

I love you more than I love life itself
But, I need to find a place where I can breathe…


“Sweetheart, tell me what’s wrong. I don’t hate you,” Justin said softly.

Melanie shivered and lowered her head. “Everyone hates me,” She stated solemnly.

Justin shook his head, “That’s not true-“

“Yes, it is!” She whined and pushed away from his short comfort.

Justin was quiet because he felt he needed to be, and needed to let her have her peace. He was sure to stay close behind her, though- just in case something happened. The rain began to drop harder, and Justin noticed she didn’t have a hood on her jacket, so he stopped her.

Melanie turned around and watched him take off his incredibly large sweatshirt. She looked at him quizzically when he handed it to her.

“Take it,” He stated.

Melanie cautiously took it and handed him her little jacket. He helped her get into the jacket, and she grinned when he placed her jacket on top of his head. The two then walked side by side, through the rain. He propped his long arm on top of her shoulders and pulled her closer to him. In turn, she buried her face into the side of his stomach and let him walk her home. They reached Melanie’s apartment now, and they walked with a diminished sway to their bodies.

All of a sudden, Melanie plopped down on one of the steps. Justin took her jacket off when he saw her sit down, and followed her lead. She sighed, and he sighed just the same. Melanie then propped her elbows on her thighs and her chin in her palms. Justin did the exact same, and gazed at her with the same bored expression. Melanie brought her right hand up now, and rubbed her right eye, and Justin did the same to his.

“STOP!” They both yelled and moments later, laughed.

Melanie’s smile faded quickly. “Mama’s been in the hospital for the last two days,” She said quietly.

Justin furrowed his eyebrows, “What happened?”

“Doctor says she’s diabetic.” Melanie nodded her head slowly.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki