Gray Dreams by Babymamma787


Number of reviews: 69
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


January 6th

White snow was packed on the paved parking lot, and in various places throughout Calumet High. Students were all around the area; it was the first day back since Christmas break. Some were getting out of their cars, saying hi to people they hadn’t seen, in what seemed like, forever. It was only 7:45 and most of the students had already shown up, some would still lag behind even after 8:00, when the first bell was scheduled to ring.

Melanie Thomas, the most popular black girl at the school, stepped out of her mother’s Expedition and her feet, adorned with K-Swiss sneakers, touched the cold pavement of the parking lot. She straightened out the creases in her navy-blue uniform skirt, and made sure her white polo shirt was in place. She then pulled out a large mirror from her back seat, and did a last minute check on hair and make up. Turning around and shutting the large black door, she began to walk toward the school. Her shiny, lip gloss-covered lips, moved as she chewed on her gum. A few girls straggling behind her said hello, and Melanie said hi back, but was careful not to start up to much of a conversation…they weren’t black. Everyday, that was the routine for Melanie, and what she was reminded of. The people that attended Camulet segregated themselves from each other. No principal or authority figure told them to do so. Practically everything was done differently.

The cheerleaders were white, never would you see a black girl on the squad, or even trying out. The black girls immediately came to the step squad. Not only was it a step squad, it had dance, cheer, and drill combined. Melanie knew they were the shit, it was her team. Like the cheerleaders, they too paraded around together in their own little click.
Another girl with brunette hair and gray eyes walked past Melanie and slightly bumped her shoulder. Melanie disregarded it though, and said sorry to the girl even though she bumped her. She was popular, but she wasn’t rude.

***
Victoria Jenkins, the most popular white girl at Camulet High, stepped out of her boyfriend’s Ford F-150. She arrogantly smoothed her hair down and checked her uniform. She hated wearing uniforms. Every other Friday of free dress wasn’t enough. She needed to show her peers, or subjects, how good she looked in her clothes. After all, they needed someone to copy when buying new clothes. Arrogantly she ran her fingers through her hair, and openly smacked on her gum as she waited for her boyfriend.

“Justin! Come on, baby.” She whined. “It’s 7:50…we only have ten minutes to go talk.”

Justin fumbled through the back seat of his truck; he was looking for his Economics book. Silently, he cursed himself when he’d realized he’d forgotten it at home. Sighing, he closed the back door to his truck, and set the alarm. He ran a hand through his springy curls and returned it back into the pocket of his large jacket. It was cold as all get out outside and people were acting like it wasn’t a big deal. But, he remembered that he was used to California’s sunny days. He was just about to reminisce about his friends, but the ever so important, Victoria, beckoned him.

Justin outstretched his hand to Victoria, the tiny dimples in his red cheeks begging to appear from grinning at her. She returned the smile gratefully and kissed his lips softly. The two walked hand-in-hand, fingers intertwined
Justin reached the set of doors that lead you into the school first, and opened one for Victoria. “Such a gentleman.” She replied and he blushed in return.

Victoria led Justin into the large school. Together, they passed all the other students walking up the many flights of stairs in the three-story building and the others that appeared to be standing by talking. Justin walked by Victoria’s side as people yelled hi to them and came up to them with complements.

Justin was used to being popular, which was why he only smiled and nodded when girls flirted with him. He was used to being the center of attention and having a girlfriend to share the attention with, to leave school and give her his undivided attention. The two had both the Homecoming King and Queen titles under their belts and they’d just been crowned the King and Queen of the Christmas Ball. Back in California, he shared the same popularity there, as he did in Chicago. Only now, he didn’t have his nice, expensive clothes to brag about and get noticed by. For one, the students were forced to wear uniforms except for every other Friday, and with his father out of his life, most of the money his family had was gone.

***

I hate this damn school. Everyday, I have to go through the same crap. I will be the happiest girl on the planet when school lets out. You just don’t know…I’ll be free, free to do whatever I want. I won’t be locked away in this jail anymore. I’ll be able to take more dance classes, get a degree in dance and make large amounts of money! I can feel it.

But, I have to take one day at a time. Slowly, I walked down the hallway and past a set of lockers. I rolled my eyes and watched some weird coupled suck on each other’s faces like their lives depended on it. Yuck. I would slap Damien if he tried to openly make out with me so that the whole student body could see. I turned a small corner and proceeded to meet up with the rest of my group…my race, to be exact.
I should’ve gotten more sleep last night, cause I feel like shit. I don’t want to deal with anyone else’s.

“Melanie!” Chasity, my best friend called. I love that girl. She enthusiastically waved her hand and smiled at me.

A grin came upon my face as I picked up my speed in order to get to her faster. When I’d reached her, I gave her a hug and patted her hair. “Nice weave, heffa. Who did it?” I needed to get my hair done again, cause combing it and styling isn’t my thing anymore.

“Nicole.” She smiled, “You like it?” Chasity asked as she twirled her finger around a strand.

“Yeah, it’s cute.” It was. “Chasity, make sure you tell the girls that we have practice today…we need to get ready for the rally.” I informed her, as we walked further down the hallway and between people.

Some friends called out to me and greeted us both as we walked past. Chasity turned to me now, “Nigga, you know that the rally on Thursday isn’t our rally…the cheerleaders are performing.” She said.

“Girl, do I look stupid to you? I know the cheerleaders are cheering on Thursday. We were supposed to perform at the Christmas parade and who crossed out our name and put their team down?” I didn’t wait for her to answer because there was no need for one; it was time to get those bitches back. “Well, we about to wreck they shit too, nigga. We are gonna show them white heffas that they ain’t to mess with our shit ever again…now, they suffer the consequences. Step squad runs this piece now, nigga. Let ‘em know.”

Chasity grinned and nodded her head. I’m glad we’re on the same level now. Victoria and her little cheerleaders are about to get stomped on if they don’t get out the way. It’s about to be basketball season now. Football season is over…and so are they.

***

“Football season is finally over, man.” Jerome said to Justin, sitting in the desk next to him.

Jerome was Justin’s only black friend at Calumet, and hardly anyone knew about it. They said hi in the halls and sometimes walked around together, but never made a big thing about it. Both their reputations would suffer. Neither of them liked the fact that their school was like that, but what can you do? Only go with the flow.

Justin chuckled, “I know man…I’ve been waiting forever it seems.”

Jerome nodded his head, “So, do you think you’re ready?”

Justin looked forward for a moment. He didn’t know. Basketball was his passion, he knew that much, but he didn’t know if he wanted to go through with all the crap he would be put through just trying to get on the team. He and Jerome both knew that he had mad skill, and could probably ball up Damien, the most popular player. Justin was still a little apprehensive though. To go pro was his dream, but his dream was still a little fuzzy and gray. “I don’t know, man. What if I look stupid out there?”

“Justin, be real my man. You know you have skill…you’ve balled me up so many times! Street ball week starts after school…you WILL be there.” Jerome ordered and turned around when the teacher began to speak.

Justin’s eyebrows furrowed and looked at his teacher as if he were speaking in a different language. He was, Justin remembered. Spanish II wasn’t his best subject, he couldn’t speak Spanish to save his own ass, but he was still passing with a B+.

Mr. Gonzalez, the Spanish teacher, translated what he’d just said into English and the class’ facial expressions went from that of confusion to comprehension.

Just then, the front door opened, and in walked Melanie- ten minutes late. Justin looked at the dazed stare that was plastered on her face and raised an eyebrow. As Melanie walked past the teacher’s desk, he stopped her.

“Ahh… Senorita Thomas, usted es diez minutos tardes.”

Melanie stopped and furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Shaking her head, she looked at him like he was crazy.
The class chuckled.

“What?” she asked, “Could you say that again, and in English?” she scoffed a little.

“Ms. Thomas, you are ten minutes late…take a seat.” He ordered.

“There’s a clock on the wall, jack ass.” She mumbled and took a seat behind Jerome. “Hey, nigga.” She whispered and patted him on his shoulder.
Jerome nodded at her.

After the teacher finished giving the assignment, Jerome turned sideways in his seat and addressed Melanie. “So, how was yo Christmas break?”

Melanie looked at him blankly for a moment, “Crap. I had to hang out with Damien for most of it, and deal with his crap and thinking he runs shit. Them damn cheerleaders stole our gig at the parade.” She quickly looked out the corner of her eye to see if Justin was listening now, since she had mentioned his girlfriend.

Surprisingly, he was writing and actually doing the work he was assigned. Melanie continued her conversation then, “But I guess those were the only things that were a set back.”

***

Break time...yay! Or not. I don't see it as break anymore...I see it as making yourself more than you already are, and keeping up your reputation. That's why I'm about to have my little meeting with Victoria, and I hoped that little pussy-whipped bastard, Justin doesn't try to help her out.

Other students rushed in front of me, all trying to get to their little hang out spots at break. Hello? Thousands of students bunched up in hallways, isn't a fun thing so move! Walking around at school is like driving in rush hour traffic.

Someone tapped my shoulder now, and I turned to face my boyfriend, Damien. What does he want?

"Hey baby. How come you didn't holla at a nigga this morning?" he asked, and draped his arm over my shoulder.

"Because I was busy. I had to talk to Chasity about the team, and I didn't want to be late to class." I said.

"Your first class is only dance ain't it?" He looked down at me with an annoyed look on his face.

"Yeah, why would I show up late to my favorite class?" I said. What the hell do I look like?

"Melanie, you dance too much," he had the nerve to groan, "you're already the captain of the Step squad...and you're in advanced dance classes...why the hell are you always trippin?"

We reached our 'clique’ now and I turned to face my retarded excuse for a boyfriend. He’s such a pain in the ass sometime! I really want to tell him to leave me the hell alone and go find someone else to screw with, but it’s Damien. He’s strong, and popular among white and black people. If I dissed him, I probably wouldn’t be able to show my face around school anymore. After all, I have a reputation to hold.

I began to put the rest of my books in my locker, and took out the ones I would need for my next class. As I brushed up my make-up with the mirror in my locker, I noticed Damien was talking.

Again!

“Are y’all gonna be holdin’ it down after school at 7 today? Ya know it is the beginning of street ball week.” He pointed out.

Best damn thing he’s said all morning. “Of Course, boy. Don’t we always?” I smirked at him and kissed him softly on the lips.

The Calumet Steppers were at every basketball game, no matter what. We’re like the cheerleaders and the football players. We cheer for them, hang out with them sometimes and wherever the basketball team is, we’re not that far away. Why? Because in this town, basketball is everything and when I started the Step Squad sophomore year, I knew that we would get seen the most with the basketball players.
Besides, basketball, black people, and hip hop go well together. So, we’re just a whole bunch of black people having a good time.

“Did you here that Jerome signed that white boy up?” Damien chuckled.

I turned my whole body toward him now. “ Does he have curly hair? Like really curly hair?”

“Yeah.” He laughed, “You know him?”

“His name is Justin. He’s Victoria’s boyfriend.” I said and jumped a little when the bell rang. I kissed Damien goodbye and walked into the large wave of people going to their classes.

***

Lunchtime came quickly and all the students rushed down the stairs quickly to get to the cafeteria. Lunchtime used to be more of a break for seniors more then anything because they were allowed to go off campus and get food. But, with freedom, comes responsibility and someone wasn’t responsible, nor mature enough to know not to mess up their privilege. So, Melanie found the table she usually sat at, which was next to the basketball players, and sat down with a sigh. Not too long after, they people she usually sat with, the rest of the step squad, sat with her at the table.

“Hey, girl! How was your break?” Lavita, another member of the team, sat down.

“Pretty good. Could’ve been better.” Melanie said and shrugged slightly.

Chasity sat down at the table now and realized that everyone had sat down. So, she looked at Melanie knowingly and cleared her throat, signaling for her to start their ‘meeting’.

“Okay, ladies. As you all know we were scheduled to dance at the Christmas parade. But, those white ass cheerleaders took our spot, purposely. Matter of fact, they knew what they were doin’ the whole time, and now they won’t know what hit em. That’s why during practice, we are gon’ run through the routine we gonna do on Thursday. Now, before y’all speak…yes, I know that the cheerleaders are scheduled to perform, but we were scheduled to perform at the Christmas parade too.” Melanie finished and looked at her girls.

“So, you’re saying that we’re gonna change the schedule of Thursday’s rally?” Nicole asked before sticking a chip in her mouth.

“No…that’s too easy. We’re gonna ruin their performance. Just be ready to perform on Thursday, okay?” Melanie said.

“Okay…on to more recent things.” Chasity, co-captain, began. “Street ball week starts today at 7:00 tonight. Me and Melanie decided that y’all should get here somewhere between 6:30 and 6:50. If one of y’all decides to show up later, yo ass will be sitting on the bench…in your uniform. Oh, and we’re gonna be wearing our home uniforms.”

Street ball week was taken seriously among the step squad members, just as football was to the cheerleaders. It was their time to shine.

“So,” Nicole spoke, “are there any new people participating in street ball week and trying out for the basketball team?”

“Well, there are like five new people, but there’s only one senior.” Melanie said nonchalantly, and took the plastic covering off of her salad.

“Who’s the senior?” Nicole asked as the rest of the girls listened.

Melanie smirked a little, “Boy wonder over there,” She said and nodded to the other side of the cafeteria where the white people sat. Her eyes landed on Justin, who was sitting next to Victoria, and talking animatedly to one of his friends.

“Ha!” Joya laughed “Him? Can he even play ball? I mean…he’s white, and this is his first year here. He’s probably never even played street ball before in his life!”

***

“Okay, man let’s be real for a minute. I’ve never even played street ball in my life!” Justin yelled to Jerome as they sat in his room.

Jerome came out of his bathroom that was connected to his room, and shook his head at his paranoid friend. He reached under his bed and pulled out a clean t-shirt that said, ‘And 1’ on it. “So, that doesn’t matter, man,” He waved his hand nonchalantly at his friend.

“Oh sure, Jerome. They just call it ‘street ball week’ cause they want people who’ve only played on leagues and teams, and have no experience whatsoever in that type of ball playing,” Justin rolled his eyes sarcastically.

“Man, have you watched any ‘And 1’ street ball tapes?” Jerome sat down a chair against the wall, and stared at his friend, who was sitting on the bed.

“Of course I have. What basketball player doesn’t?”

“Well, just imitate what you see on those tapes.”

“Next thing you know, you’re gonna tell me I need some kinda crazy nickname, right?” Justin asked sarcastically. “Besides, mocking those things are easier said than done.”

“Actually, you do need a nickname, but since you’re new…ain’t nobody gon’ sweat you. Justin, you just gotta have faith in yourself, man. You play basketball because you love it…it’s what drives you.”

“Man, this ain’t a Gatorade commercial,” Justin chuckled.

“I’m being serious, man. You wouldn’t be at my house right now, 30 minutes before this thing jumps off, twirling that basketball in yo hands. It’s obvious you wanna do it. Ya just scared and I can understand…you white, playboy. But, don’t you wanna prove everyone else wrong? Is it in you?” Jerome chuckled at the last line of his sentence.

“Whatever, man. I guess I’ll give it a try.”

“Ain’t no time for guessing anymore man, ya name is already on the sheet. So, let’s go,” Jerome said, stood up and grabbed his keys.

“Why? It’s only 6:40. Isn’t Wellington like ten minutes from here?” Justin asked and followed him out of his room.

“Yeah…if you’re driving. We’re walking cause I’m not taking my car.” Jerome walked down the hallway of his home, with a dumbfounded Justin following behind him.

Jerome opened up the coat closet, and handed Justin a large coat. “It’s cold outside.”

“Then why the hell are we walking?”

“Ah ha…just like the California boy. Let me tell you how we throws it down in Chi-town…we walk, baby boy or take a train. Saves, gas and you get exercise. That’s why you don’t see fat homeless people on every corner,” Jerome grinned and opened the door to his house.

The cold wind bustled in front of them and Jerome yelled goodbye to his mother. Justin didn’t like walking.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki