Gray Dreams by Babymamma787


Number of reviews: 69
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


The locker room was crowded with yells, and girls talking loudly over other girls’ blabbering. Thirty minutes before game time and they were just as nervous as the boys were. Probably even more nervous than they were. The cheerleaders stood on one side of the large locker room and chatted amongst themselves, and the steppers stood on the other side, talking about the bubbly cheerleaders.

“What the fuck is this shit, Melanie. You should’ve stood up for yourself…for the rest of us too, Melanie! Now, I have to dance with those bitches! Do you know who we’re playing today? All of our reputations are gonna be ruined!” Nicole walked up to Melanie furiously now.

Melanie silently listened to her teammate, and at one time, friend. She said nothing to her until she was done ranting and raving. She watched the girl’s hazel eyes flare red with anger. But, before she could say anything, Joya stepped in.

“I know! We have to perform with these trashy hoes! People are gonna laugh at us! We’re playing Fenger at that…remember how we LOST to them at last year’s competition? We were new, and the captain specifically came up to YOU and told you we weren’t gonna do shit.” Joya flailed her arms in the air as she spat out her harsh words.

Melanie had enough. “Exactly, and we’re gonna prove to them that we can still do this, even though we have people holding us back. What y’all need to do, is calm down…and if you get in my face like that again, you will not like me anymore,” She threatened.

Chasity shook her head. “Y’all, we need to stick together, alright. Be strong together, and carry on together. We can do this,” She encouraged.

The girls didn’t care, however. They were steady rolling their eyes and went back to putting the finishing touches on their uniforms. Victoria, clad in her uniform and already ready to go out, walked up to Melanie, who was still sliding on her pants.

“I hope you know what you’re doing. My people are out there too ya know.” Victoria looked Melanie up and down, “And I won’t be embarrassed because of you. You’ve bugged me enough all year.”

Melanie rolled her eyes. “What the hell are you talking about?”

“You know WHO I’m talking about. You took him from me, slut. You have a man already, why don’t you stop being so damn selfish?”

“Excuse me. I have no clue of who you’re talking about.” Melanie walked past Victoria, and past all the girls that stared at her with confused expressions on their faces. She soon found the exit to the locker room, bolted out of there like a light. If she didn’t get fresh air soon, she was going to pass out from nervous thoughts. Her white sneakers squeaked against the tile floors as she ran quickly, ignoring the people she ran past. The two, dark red, double doors looked like the gates of Heaven as she neared them anxiously. Abruptly, she pushed them open, but hit Justin and caused him to stumble to the floor roughly.

Melanie gasped at the accident she caused. “Justin, I’m so sorry! I didn’t know you were right there, I swear! I was just-“

“Running away,” He said wincing a little as he stood up. Justin picked up his duffel bag and looked at her dumbfounded expression, without any pity for her. “When you run, you hurt people that are trying to help you.”

Melanie felt nauseous. He was really scaring her at that moment. His metaphors began to take a toll on her ever since street ball week. He truly intrigued her, and worried her at the same time.

She wondered immensely how someone could be so young, and wise. “I’m sorry. I wasn’t paying attention…how was I supposed to know you were standing there the whole time.”

Justin only stared at her, staring right through her front and saw that she was scared. It even scared him as to how someone could be so predictable, so obvious. Or maybe he was just making too much out of the situation.

“What I just said had a double meaning, didn’t it?” Melanie squinted her eyes at him.

Justin only laughed and walked past her, relieved at the warm air. He took off his snow-covered beanie, and could already begin to feel the warmth filling his frozen cheeks. “So, are you gonna tell me what’s wrong, or are you not ready to stop bull shitting?” He was tired of being sympathetic.

Melanie furrowed her eyebrows. Before she could speak, Justin beat her. “Yeah, I said it.”

“What crawled up your ass and died? What the hell is up with the attitude, mister?”

Justin looked at her cynically. “Gee, I don’t know. Maybe it was the fact that yesterday, I drove your ass around and followed Damien for about…twenty minutes before you said that you didn’t want to invade his privacy like that. Yes, I’m still holding that against you cause today, you two were all up in each others’ grills. Kissing and shit like y’all are fuckin’ newlyweds. Let me try and guess what scandalous adventure you’re going on today. You’re scared that everyone is going to hate you because you’re dancing with white girls. And, it just so happens that we’re playing one of our rival schools…during the finals, when just about ever black person is gonna show up.” Justin stared at her and waited on her response. When she didn’t throw another smart-ass remark, he grinned. “I need a fuckin’ TV show.”

Melanie stood there, astonished at what he had said, and watched him walk down the hallway in the opposite direction, not once looking back. She gathered up her courage. “Asshole!”

Justin stopped as the word echoed through the hallway, the sound waves bouncing off the walls and hitting his ego. He turned and looked at her, confident that his stare still intimidated her, even with the large space separating them. He slowly walked closer to her, his long eyebrows slightly arched. “What did you say?” he threw at her, not forgetting to grin egotistically.

She looked away from his gaze momentarily, but returned it forcefully. “You heard me. There’s a fucking echo in here, and I didn’t stutter.” She shot back. “You are an asshole.” She said slowly for him to comprehend. “Did ya get all that?” she said with mock concern.

“Girl, I will break you down, emotionally and physically. Don’t play with fire,” He warned quietly.

“Oh no! I’m shakin’ in my boots! Please Mr. Milk Man, don’t choke me!” she chided. Melanie’s superficial act was quickly replaced with a cold glare. She was determined to beat him at his own mind game.

Justin decided to walk away this time. He was going to be late anyway, and so was she. But, he stopped abruptly when he heard her yell, “Who’s the bitch running now?” He snapped in her direction. The anger was evident in his features now, and he almost snickered when Melanie took a step back. “You still are! You haven’t said one thing that validates me changing my feelings toward you right now!”

“How do you feel about me right now?” she asked calmly, back against a locker.

“You really wanna know?” His breathing was beginning to become jagged and his eyes widened a little. When she nodded her head, he confessed. “I think you are the most selfish person I’ve met right now. I used to know someone like you…all she cared about was her FUCKIN’ reputation. She didn’t care about me, oh no! She could give a damn what I had to say…she didn’t care if I was blue in the face from talking so damn much. You piss me off right now, Melanie. You’re a coward.” His voice cracked. “Someone always has to hold your hand, and tell you what to do. One person says something that you don’t like, and you bitch up! Don’t do that!” he slammed the locker next to her, but wasn’t moved when she jumped. “I used to be the little punk ass bitch that whined when I had to make a hard decision. I used to be the one that ran to my ‘love’, who stopped caring about me after a while. She put on that same fucking front and I fell for it time and time again.”

Melanie shrunk up, her stupidity and humiliation taking a toll over her body. She tried to get something out, to defend herself, but he wouldn’t let her.

“No, you got your turn to talk, now I get mine. Don’t do the stupid shit that I did! That’s all I want! I stand in front of you just about everyday and tell you over and over. But, do you listen? NO! I don’t get it, Melanie. You are so talented, but you wish to waste it on Damien! Not only on him, but all those little bitches you call friends. I made one the biggest mistakes of my life…not because of Kelice, but because I was stupid. I decided to resort to alcohol and drugs…not saying that you’re a freakin’ crackhead or anything…you’re too pretty to be one. But, don’t waste your time thinking about irrelevant things, sweetie. You’re too good for that okay?” The last parts of his sentences dwindled in volume, until his very last sentence was subtle.

Melanie stood, wide-eyed and silent; the tears ready to fall down her cheeks. Her body was ready to collapse in his strong arms. “I’m sorry.” She choked on the tears. “I didn’t mean-“

“I know. Just know that when you push me away, I’m gonna pull you back.” Justin said and walked away.

Pt. 2

The girls, cheerleaders and steppers alike, stood in the hallway and waited for their intro. The rehearsed the boys going out first, then the cheerleaders, and the steppers bringing up the end. ‘Saving the best for last’ was how Chasity described it, while Melanie wasn’t so sure anymore. The boys, being lead by Coach Walker, joined the girls as they waited. Melanie nervously avoided Justin’s gaze, for fear of embarrassment. It was actually too late for that, but she had a performance, that she knew wasn’t going to end up like everyone hoped, in about 3 minutes.

Coach Walker started to speak, “All right, ladies and gentleman. You’ve come a long way. Though some of you may not believe it, it’s only the beginning. Tonight, we are going to stick together, no matter what ridicule you might receive. Just think that, if we win this game, we go to the finals. Finals are going to be longer this season because teams stepped up their game at the last minute, and are gonna come at us full force.”

It was quiet for a moment as everyone let his words sink in. The girls would interpret it differently, but it still had the same effect on them, nonetheless.

He spoke again. “No matter how we come out of this game, just know that you’ve all sucked up your problems with each other. If you still have unsettled issues, leave them at the door…don’t carry them on the court with you. We have a crowd to entertain.”

All of a sudden, loud vibrations on the wall were heard. The sound and the loudness came closer, as the banging found it’s way to the lockers. The Titans of Fenger High school, their opponents, arrogantly chattered through the halls. The basketball players were joined with their equally rowdy, step squad. The shouted their chant as if they were in a fraternity or sorority. They made their way to the crowd of concentrating Indians, and began to laugh.

“Hey, where’s that white boy from street ball week?” A tall boy shouted.

Justin turned his head and looked at him menacingly. “Can I help you?”

The giant smiled arrogantly. “Look at you. I missed you man. Got the braids and shit all in ya hair- they look nice actually. Better remember how they looked, cause when I’m done with you…your face will be so fucked up, your hair won’t even matter.”

Justin rose his eyebrows and laughed. “You’re too funny, man. Look at this face. You wish you had this face. This is beautiful…you can’t fuck this up. Oh yeah…and tell your mom I said thanks for doing my hair-her "blow dryer" is somethin’ else.” He grinned sarcastically.

There were a slew of ‘oohs’, ‘you got tolds’, and ‘ahhs’ after Justin’s remark. Soon, the cat calls were drowned out as Trevante started the game with Lil’ Jon’s “Get Low”. The song pulsated through the large speakers, and his voice soon pulsated through the speakers. The large double doors in front of the steppers, cheerleaders, and the boys were opened and they revealed the overly-stuffed gym. On three, they all shouted their motto: “We are as good as and better than anyone, anywhere!”

“All right y’all!” Trevante yelled into the mic. “To the windooowwss!”

The crowd responded, “To the waaalll!”

“Oh! Tonight is the night. The winner of this game, will go on to the finals. We all know who’s movin’ on, don’t we?” he shouted, and the people on Calumet’s side gave him a hearty roar. “Yeah! That’s right, so without further adieu…give it up for your Calumet Indians!” The crowd yelled loudly, and waved their signs when the boys ran a lap around the court.

Trevante continued, “Now, for the first time in Calumet basketball history, welcome your Calumet Cheerleaders!” The crowded slowly died down as they watched the cheerleaders run out to center court and jump up and down, while some immediately booed when they entered happily. “All right, all right! Calm down! They’re here y’all…give it up for The Calumet Step Squad!” The crowd’s energy level went back up to the same degree as it had when the basketball team ran out.

The steppers each stood in windows, accompanied by a cheerleader. Melanie looked to Victoria, who was directly at her right before taking a deep breath. She was scared to wait for the crowd to die down so their music could play this time. She didn’t want to hear them yelling. She and Victoria were at the top of the inverted ‘V’ they formed with their partner. Melanie watched Victoria gulp and dart her eyes around the crowd, and for minute-she felt bad for her.

Melanie turned her head in the opposite direction now, signaling for Trevante to start the track. Freeway’s “Flipside” blasted immediately, and the girls began their routine. The girls spread out like planned, and Melanie and Victoria stayed facing each other, mirroring one another’s moves. They broke into flawless fuetes, doing about five of them before stopping simultaneously and joining the rest of the team. The steppers performed the intricate hip-hop that Melanie had choreographed with ease, while the cheerleaders had a little trouble.

Melanie looked out the corner of her eye at the cheerleaders and how stiff they were. Even though she hated to admit it, Victoria was the only one who remotely knew what she was doing. Some girls got it easily, because they danced in studios or either had had training since they were younger, making it easier for them to catch on. Melanie looked over her other shoulder, and saw that her teammates had embarrassed expressions on their face. If she hadn’t had the rules of performing drilled into her brain, she would have the same expression on her face, but she still acted like she was loving it.

She hated every moment of it.

People began to point and laugh at the cheerleaders, and it still hurt Melanie because she was out on the floor with them. No matter what she tried to convince herself of, it still felt like they were laughing at her. Boos were beginning to become audible, even with the music loudly playing. Trevante even looked at them, and then at Mr. Butler like they’d lost their minds. No one was feeling the performance-it was obvious. Some people still danced, and sang along-but, it was because they liked the song, and not the people that were busting their asses dancing to it. After what seemed forever, the track faded out and the girls quickly got out the way. This time, Trevante didn’t even pump the crowd up after the performance.

Instead he replied with, “Let’s hope the game is a lot better than that, y’all.” Causing the crowd to laugh.

Melanie sat right on top of the red sideline that was painted across the hardwood floor. She hoped that no one would notice her. However, people did. Derogatory remarks were thrown at her from various people in the crowd. She pretended it didn’t get to her, but it did. She used to be one of them, yelling nasty statements at the cheerleaders after quitting the team. Now, they were getting thrown right back at her. She even found herself getting dirty looks shot at her by her own teammates.

Fighting the tears that threatened to fall about the fifth time that day, she told everyone to get up and cheer. They obeyed, reluctant in their endeavors. Pretty soon, they stopped trying their hardest, and that pissed Melanie off to no end. The boys were definitely making up for the girls’ loss.

Justin started the game off perfectly by crossing over the guy who’d confronted him in the hallway and dunking on him seconds later. After Justin’s beautiful 180* dunk, the Titans returned it forcefully with a 3 pointer.

! Half Time !

The score was 67, 69 and the Indians were loosing. Samuel had already fouled out, and Damien was playing with 3 fouls. Justin had been injured, so he sat out, but got back in as soon as his knee felt better.

Not a good idea. He slowly limped to the conference room, and plopped down in a chair. Jerome pushed one in front of him for elevation, and slapped an ice pack on.

Justin yelled out loud, being it just them two in the room. “Fuck, man! That shit hurts!” he winced.

“Good,” Jerome said, and handed him a knee brace.

“What do you mean ‘good’?” Justin spat and rubbed his right knee.

“I saw Melanie before the game, man. You know she’s like a little sister to me. What the hell did you say to her?”

“Hey, why don’t you ask her what she said to me, and then you ask me again politely.”

“I thought you liked her? You have to cut her a little slack man. She deals with more than you think.”

“Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t know that popularity was so heavy around here,” Justin said sarcastically.

“Let me tell you something real quick, Justin. Obviously, she hasn’t told you this yet cause you’re still acting like a jack ass.” Jerome pointed a finger and looked out the door and down the hall, to see if the guys were still watching the half time performances. When he didn’t see anyone coming, he spoke. “Do you wanna know why Melanie acts the way she does?”

Justin noddedhis head.

“When we were in the sixth grade, I remember her coming to school and crying the whole day. Her dad had dropped her off that day. He had too many drinks the night before, and she and her brother were watching TV. I remember her calling me that night and telling me that he had just beat her mom. He came in the room and told her to get off because no one wanted to talk to her, and that she was never going to be anything in life. And then, I heard her yell and the phone was disconnected.”
Jerome shook his head. “She never told me what had happened that night. I still don’t know. Her mom kicked her dad out the house, and Rodney lost it. That nigga swore his daddy was the best man in the world even after he’d beat their mom. But, he didn’t know any better, and he ran off with him for a couple of years.” He paused and stared at Justin, who looked like he’d been cut deeply. “That’s why her and her mom are so close. She started that hair salon on Loomis street. They’ve been fine, but Melanie misses him. She thought she was fine when she met Damien, but she realized that he wasn’t anything special during her freshman year.”

Justin shook his head. “Why is she still with him? That’s all I want to know.”

Jerome sighed. “They were each others’ first, and Damien is in love with her. He just doesn’t do well at showing it. But, all in all, she feel like he is the only one that knows what he wants. He’s the only man that’s secure with himself.”

Justin only nodded his head and watched everyone file into the small room. He noticed Melanie and her pain stricken face. To be honest, he didn’t feel completely bad about what he said-he knew and she knew that most of what he said had truth to it. Yes, he could’ve worded some things differently, but he was almost happy because he now had found one of the missing pieces to her puzzle.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki