Gray Dreams by Babymamma787


Number of reviews: 69
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Well, Nicole and Joya are no longer Calumet Steppers. Wait…looks like Tami and Jasmine decided to leave too. Great! It’s a joy to see all of their stuff in boxes stacked in front of my locker. Joya and Jasmine were the strongest juniors I had on the team, and I had planned to hand over me and Chasity’s position to them. So, now were down to 9 seniors, 8 juniors, 9 sophomores and freshman. What am I going to do with these boxes?

I moved them out of the way. This is so damn embarrassing- oh look! I have a note taped to my locker! How nice of my classmates to write ‘bitch’ in capital letters. I love this school. I snatched the note off and crumbled it, before dropping it to the floor. I have a feeling that this day is only going to get worse. I’ve already gotten called ‘oreo’ and ‘white-wash’ on the way in this morning. It’s mandatory that there is a meeting after school today. We won last night’s game, so I need to prepare the girl for more ridiculing as the season ends. Better yet, prepare myself.

Where is Chasity? School starts in ten minutes, and she said she would meet me at my locker ten minutes ago. I hope she’s not mad at me either. Enough people already are, while some are just surprised that I showed up today.

How much you wanna bet I’m gonna get jumped? I still don’t see how I’m responsible for all this, but whatever. Last night, I tried talking to Damien, but he was so happy they one, that he didn’t even really care that I had been tortured by peoples words. The only time he was remotely attentive was when I told him that I couldn’t go to New York with him. Of course, there was the anticipated, ‘Why the hell not?’, but I didn’t give him the anticipated ‘I just can’t.’. Instead, I told him that I was going to California, and for a split second, I thought I had the guts to tell him that I was going with Justin, but I didn’t. I replied with ‘This could be my big break, Damien. I’m doing a couple of auditions.’

He was silent when I told him, which was good because I didn’t need him discouraging me. Not that he does it on purpose, he just doesn’t know how to show up to events that I’m doing. Which is understandable, he’s a busy guy. He works with his father, and he’s gone a lot. He told me he was happy for me and he wished me luck. That made me happy enough- it would do for me. If my father were still in my life, he would’ve told me otherwise and probably would’ve laughed in my face.

I guess I should take theses boxes and put them in the locker room, when I go to dance class. The bell rang, and I bent over to pick one of the boxes up. I guess I’ll come back for the other too later…it’s not like anyone is going to steal them. I started my trek down the long hallway and tried my best to ignore the dirty looks.

“Hey, traitor!” I heard a random guy call to me. I’m just going to ignore it, even though I know he’s calling me. “Hey hoe! I’m talkin’ to you!” Keep walking, Melanie. Just…no, I can’t cry. But, my body didn’t agree- it produced things that I tried my hardest to keep inside. The thick tears rolled down my cheeks but I balanced the box on my leg momentarily, and wiped it away.

When I made it to the locker room, I sat the box outside the door. That shit was heavy, what the hell did they put in there? Time to grab the next box…

The captain of the Fenger Titans’ step squad had some not-so-nice words to say to me last night too. We lost to Fenger at a competition last year, and they got to move on to Regionals. We were left in Chicago, coughing on their dust. She had told me last year that the team was going to fall apart because I was a junior and it was our first full year as a team. She had told me that I would never be successful with it, and she was right. Four of my best girls just quit because I was dumb enough not to stand up for our team. I honestly just didn’t think it would change anything. Butler was going to get his way, whether I liked it or not. Now, here I am, carrying their old uniforms to the locker room.

Maybe I shouldn’t have wanted things so perfect- I can’t help the fact that I’m a perfectionist. I can see why they’re mad though. I was the main one talking about how the black people were disrespected, and that we needed to stick together. I always told the girls that we were better than the cheerleaders were because we could actually dance-I told them that we would conquer in the end. But, I go behind my boyfriend’s back and cheat on him with a white boy. I’m sure most people know that Justin and me are certainly not just friends. Now, I’ve dragged my teammates into it. I could’ve been immature and loud like I usually am, and talked trash to Mr. Butler and demanded that he reconsidered. But, I didn’t…and I don’t even know why.

I turned the corner now, and saw the boxes toppled over, and clothes thrown across the hallway. Fuck.

But to my dismay, Justin, Jerome, and Damien were picking the apparel up, and throwing them back in the boxes. That’s sweet of them, but that makes me all the more embarrassed. My life sucks- I don’t see how you can be perfectly content, and just go to being completely miserable. I should talk to Justin about that one.

Damien lifted a box, and looked at me. “Where do you want us to take these?”

I shook my head. “You guys, the tardy bell already rang. Just go to class, I’ll be fine.”

“No, we’re gonna help you.” Damien argued.

I do need the help. There’s no way I’m gonna be able to carry those big ass boxes from here to the locker room three more times. “Okay. Follow me.” I said softly.
I’m leaving next period. I can’t stay here, I don’t care if I get in trouble for ditching.

*
Melanie, clad in her dance clothes, walked down the long hallway of the apartment complex she resided at. She sighed tiredly with relief, happy that no one noticed her leave. She pushed open the brown door and stopped when her mother looked at her. She was supposed to be at work.

“Hi, ma,” Melanie said warily, still standing in the doorway.

“What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be at school.” Rhonda asked.

Melanie stuttered for a moment, “Well…you see, what had happened was…”

“Come in here, and sit down.” Her mother rolled her eyes. “I didn’t feel like going to work either,” Rhonda said referring to the hair salon she owned.

“But, mamma. What about all your clients?” Melanie sat next to her mother.

“I didn’t have that many today, and Trish will take care of them.” Rhonda pressed the buttons on the remote control, and set it down when a talk show came on.

Melanie nodded her head and watched the TV. “Everyone is giving me shit, mamma.”

“Baby, don’t worry about them. You need to do you, and know that it’s not always your fault. By the way, Justin called last night right after you went to bed,” Rhonda added.

“That’s a surprise,” Melanie said sadly. “I pissed him off yesterday, ma. He-“

“Blew up on you? Yeah…I know, he told me. And he wanted me to tell you that he was sorry.”

Melanie stared at her mother. “Damn, y’all talk more than we do! How long did you talk to him?”

“About an hour,” Her mother said nonchalantly. “He really cares about you, baby. I know that you’re scared, girl but you have to take some chances. Don’t let how bad your father was mess you up. I know that Damien was there for you, and he’s confident and secure-two things you said you found attractive, but Justin has both and wisdom.”

Melanie shook her head, “No, Justin has drama…too much for me.”

“But, that drama is over. He’s done with that stuff- he’s moved on with his life and is following his dream. He even has an agent now. You could learn from him, ya know. He has so much to offer, it’s crazy.” Rhonda grabbed her daughter’s hands. “He’s crazy about you. I bet you if you called him at two o’ clock in the morning, the boy would listen to what you had to say.”

“No, Justin’s grumpy as hell in the morning,” Melanie begged to differ. “Besides, he already thinks I’m…”

“Beautiful. I already packed some of you stuff for California-don’t start whining. I was bored, and he told me that you were giving him a hard time about it.”

“Rat.”

Rhonda went on to say, “I told him to come over tonight so that I could take his braids out. I’m gonna do your hair too.”

“Well, shit we might as well go to the shop,” Melanie chuckled.

“No, I have so many pictures of you and Justin on my station. Randy is in love with him, and then when I told him that Justin turned 18 in January, he about had a fit.”

Her daughter laughed out loud. “We have to take Justin to your shop, mama. Let Randy do his hair!”

Rhonda shook her head. “Girl, no. Justin would be scared for life.”

*
Melanie sat patiently on the floor and let Justin paint her toenails. Her mother was finishing the last braid of her hair, and she watched the two interact, while she watched ‘The Brothers’.

“Look at how fine Morris Chestnut is, mama,” Melanie gawked.

“No, heffa. It’s all about Shemar Moore and his body,” Rhonda disagreed.

“No, mama. It’s all about Morris’ million dollar smile…I could eat that nigga up.” Her daughter continued.

“No! Y’all are both wrong! It’s all about Bill Belamy’s lips…those are awesome,” Justin said and continued to put the red paint on Melanie’s toes.

After a moment of silence, they all burst into laughter. Melanie supervised Justin’s toe polishing and rose her eyebrow. “Don’t mess my toes up, Justin.”

“They already are,” Justin laughed and Rhonda joined him before adding another bead to the end of Melanie’s braid.

“Shut up. I keep my toes clean.”

Justin looked up at Melanie and made a face. “I wouldn’t suck those. I might get a disease.”

Justin and Rhonda laughed, this time Melanie said nothing so Justin spoke again. “I’m just kidding, sweetie. I’d definitely suck these things.”

“Ew!” they laughed.

*****
Three days later…

I feel like that damn rabbit from ‘Alice and Wonderland’. You know? The one that was always late, wherever he went, and he had that big ass watch hanging from his suit. Well, my damn alarm clock broke this morning. I didn’t even know alarm clocks could break! Maybe it was because I kept slamming it against the wall instead of hitting the buttons?

Well, that doesn’t matter anymore. Melanie and I are speeding through this damn airport. We decided to leave today, Friday, instead of after school. She didn’t feel like going to school today, and I can completely understand why. I wouldn’t want to go either. I guess you could say I understand her more ever since what Jerome told me. But, what I don’t understand is why she’s walking like she’s disabled. The funny thing is, she still thinks we’re taking a plane.

We’re flying in on my dad’s jet. Yes, my dad has a jet. He bought it a couple of months ago, when he won some big ass case- his boss gave him another raise. How do I know this? He sent us a letter bragging about it.

“Melanie, take my hand. Are you that tired?”

“Yes, I wanna go back to sleep,” She whined.

It is kinda early. It’s actually 6:30, but we can sleep on the way there. I grabbed her hand and pulled her through the crowds of slow ass people and we stepped onto one of those moving sidewalk things. These things are bad ass, man! I always used to jump on these things and pretend I was surfing when I was younger.

“Justin, the plane doesn’t leave until 6:56. We don’t need to rush.” She yawned.

She’s so clueless, it’s not even funny. “Sweetie, we’re not taking a plane. We’re taking a jet- it gets you there faster.”

Melanie looked at me like I was crazy…again. “American Airlines has jets?”

Oh my gosh. It’s actually cute, but I laughed out loud and explained it to her. She gave me a long ‘oh’ and I pulled her in my arms for a hug. She needs one. I can’t believe the farthest she’s been from home is Michigan!

I saw the jet from a distance and I wanted to run to it, but I decided not to. It’s better to act like I have home-training. We walked outside, and the wind was blowing hard. Good thing I got my hair braided, cause my shit woulda been fucked up by now. Look at Mike’s big ass. He runs security for my dad now. I grinned at him- I’m gonna have fun bugging him.

My dad just got a new case. It supposed to be really confidential, but it has to do with the government. He’s gonna make bank with that one. So, he’s going to be out of town all week, meaning I get the house! I told him I was going to be here, but I don’t think he knew I was going to stay at home…with a friend. Surprisingly, he’s trying to make an effort to talk to me now. He says he wants to spend time with me, and make up for the times he wasn’t there. If he literally tried to do that, we’d be hanging still when I turned 80. I haven’t completely opened up to him yet, because I think he has a hidden agenda.

No, I know he does.

Me, my mom and my brothers are doing just fine with out him. “Hey Mikey Mike!” I greeted squeakily. “This is my friend, Melanie.”

That’s going to change by the end of this week…fa shizzle dizzle!


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki