Gray Dreams by Babymamma787


Number of reviews: 69
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Justin walked side by side with Jerome, and was surprised when he heard the crowd making noise, and music blaring from the sets of loud speakers. He was surprised to see that they were going to be playing outside because it was so cold, but these were natives and they were probably used to it. Jerome grinned and walked through the large fence-like gates.

“This is it, baby!” He yelled to Justin over the loud speakers. “This is what we live for…and after tonight, you will too!”

Justin grinned at him, maybe he was right. ‘Take It To The House’ by Trick Daddy and Trina begin to blare through the speakers as the crowd got rowdier and people began to dance in the stands. He could get used to this.

However, the people in the stands weren’t the only ones getting rowdy. He’d noticed that the Calumet Steppers were at half-court, dancing in a way that uptight executives would say was provocative. Justin watched in awe as they shook what they had, and still managed to look classy. This was the first time he’d seen them perform, and he’d already wanted to see more. Suddenly, the girls stopped dancing as did the tape, to break it down. Melanie yelled, and the team stopped and began their step routine.

“They’re good huh?” Jerome said and handed him a white T-shirt with a large ‘C’ embroidered on it.

“Hell yeah,” Justin nodded and followed Jerome over to their bench.

“The best thing about it, is that they’ll only perform during our games and stuff,” Jerome sat down on one of the white folding chairs.

Justin sat down next to Jerome, “So they’re like our cheerleaders?” he asked and pulled the large shirt over his head.

“Man, don’t let them hear you call them that. They’ll beat yo ass. They’re dancers…without the speed.”

Justin nodded and sat there in his chair anxiously, watching as the steppers made there way off the court. Their smiles were big, and they looked like the enjoyed what they were doing and Justin admired that.

Jerome nudged Justin on his shoulder and told him to get into the huddle. Their huddle consisted of Damien, Mike, Justin, Jerome, and Samuel. All of them, except for Justin, started in every school basketball game, and Justin could tell that they already knew what they were doing.

Unfortunately, he didn’t, but he tried his best to remember what Jerome had told him at the house. The butterflies in his stomach fluttered faster as the large lights seemed as if they were only beaming down on him.

They ended their huddle, and Damien looked at Justin long and hard. Justin stood next to Jerome and waited for the announcer to introduce the teams. Justin looked over to where the steppers were standing at attention. He didn’t get to look long because Damien was pulling on his shirt. Justin followed Damien to where he was standing, and Damien leaned into his ear. “Look, pretty boy. Don’t fuck shit up out there okay? I don’t know you, so I won’t judge you just yet…you already got one strike against you given by everyone out here. I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you the color of your skin, so I’m just here to warn you.” He said and walked away from Justin.

Justin didn’t say anything back to him, instead he kept his gaze transfixed forward. What he said wasn’t fair, but he now realized what it was time for him to do. He needed to prove some people wrong.

By now, the announcer began to start kicking things off. “Hey y’all! Welcome to the 15th annual street ball week, taking place right here in Chicago! Are y’all ready to get this thing started or what?”

The crowd cheered. “All right. Well, we got Calumet coming out tonight and Bowen High. The team who wins tonight will go on and play tomorrow night, and keep on going ‘til the end of the week. Now, on the Calumet side, we got Jerome, a.k.a. ‘Hot Sauce’. This next fella is new to the whole street ball thing, and to Chicago. So, please give a warm Chi-town welcome to Justin!”

The crowed clapped and cheered, and Justin was thankful. The last thing he needed was to be booed.

“Alright, next we got the Magician, a.k.a. Mike!” The crowd cheered even more as Mike’s 5’10 frame jogged out onto the court to join the rest of his teammates. “Next up, we got ‘The Jet’ Samuel!”
Samuel jogged rapidly in place before he stepped on the court, and the crowd acknowledged him gratefully.

“He’s back once again, ladies and gentleman. Street Ball MVP, Damien, ‘The Dominator’!” The MC yelled enthusiastically.
Justin looked around at everyone, as they stood on their feet. It was obvious that Damien was the favorite. But, Justin knew he could do this, for there was no turning back now. Mutely, he stood at the middle of the court with his teammates while the MC introduced the players from Bowen. Justin shifted his eyes around the large crowds in the stands, and rested them upon Melanie’s. No doubt, she was beautiful. In a way she reminded him of himself when he was living in California. He was spontaneous, popular, and could have anyone he wanted just about.

Melanie looked up and met her eyes with Justin’s. She gave him a half smile and waved politely. He certainly was something to look at, but he wasn’t anything special to her. Just another boy.

**

The referees stepped out onto the court and told everyone how the game was going to be played. Justin listened intently to his directions and rules. There were a lot less than those of a school’s basketball game. Technically, you weren’t fouled unless you were on the floor. People were aloud to bounce the balls off of each other, and do other things.

“Imitate what you see on those ‘And 1’ tapes, man.”

Jerome’s words played over in his head as he looked around at the circle of men waiting for the game to start.

“Okay, I need you fellas to pick who’s going to jump,” Justin heard him say.

Jerome pushed Justin forward. “Man, my hair gives me and extra inch,”

“Don’t try to get out of this. It’s time to play,” Jerome chuckled and shook his head.

Justin and the large black guy he was jumping against touched the ball when the ref held it out. The ball was suddenly thrown up into the air and Justin jumped up and hit it first. The crowd cheered as Jerome dribbled the ball down the court and made and easy lay up, making sure to rub it in the face of the guy who was supposed to be blocking him. Jerome ran back past Justin now, and they slapped hands.
A guy for the other team passed the ball in and they hurriedly made their way up the court, Justin immediately going to his man. He crouched low, and pulled up the end of his shorts. Justin watched the eyes of his opponent only for a second, and diverted them to the bouncing ball in front of him.

“Justin and Bowen’s David playing a little one on one.” The MC called.

Justin suddenly reached in toward the ball and stole it from his opponent. In an instant, he was at the other end of the court, scoring a jumper for two points.

“Four to nothing, Calumet. DJ, let’s get some music going up in this piece to lighten things up a bit.”

The DJ nodded and began to spin Ice Cube’s ‘Put Your Back Into It’. Justin grinned as he casually dribbled the ball back to his team’s side of the court after the other team had scored. He was getting his rhythm and was enjoying it.

“Hey Hickville wants to know what’s up.” His opponent said to him lowly. “What’s up white boy?” He challenged.

Justin fought the urge to punch him in the face, but he declined the tempting offer his mind gave him. Instead, he took a step back, prepped and shot a graceful three. The sound the ball made as it drifted through the net, not once hitting the rim, made him smile arrogantly in his opponent’s face. “That’s what’s up.” He said confidently, and made his way to a different part of the court.

“Oh! Beautiful three pointer by Justin Timberlake, ladies and gentlemen. That’s how it’s done!” The MC cheered.

**

I have to admit. Justin’s got game, no doubt. And the way he carries him self is amusing. He seems like he’s not sure of himself being here, but he knows this is where he needs to be. I’m surprised he never said anything to anyone about his skills. I always saw him shooting hoops out here, but I thought he was just doing it for fun.

I stood there and cheered for my team, and for Justin alone. He deserved it. I watched as he ran down the court for another lay up. This time he did it Kobe style, and threw it under his leg before dropping it into the hoop.

Yeah, he has skills.

“Melanie, it’s halftime, girl! Come on!” Chasity called to me as she began to make her way to the court.

I stood next to her as the crowd cheered for us. To be honest, I missed the sound of everyone screaming and stuff. It gives you a rush. I smiled at the DJ, signaling for him to put on our track. Lil’ Kim’s ‘The Jump Off’ began to play through the speaker, and we began our pretty much flawless routine. We’d done it like a thousand times and we were too busy rehearsing for Thursday to spend time practicing for tonight. But, of course, no one is going to notice. We could do this routine in our sleep.

*

Justin’s eyes were transfixed at the girls on the court right now. He stared in awe, and had to admit that they were way better than the cheerleaders and he knew why they didn’t want to be compared. Jerome flashed a knowing grin at Justin when he’d realized his friend had been keeping his eyes on one person the whole time.

“She’s good huh?” Jerome asked.

“Yeah,” Justin gawked absentmindedly, “now, I can see why Victoria’s so jealous…don’t tell her I said that,” He said quickly and drank from his water bottle.

“Well, Melanie is one of a kind. I heard that scouts are coming to watch her when the actual season starts. They wanna give her scholarships to some performing arts schools,” Jerome said and watched the routine.

“Really?”

“Yeah, man. That shit she’s doing right now ain’t nothing compared to what she really does…you’ll see. It’s street ball week, so they have to dance all…ya know, to go with the mood. But, Melanie can bust yo ass when it comes to doin’ that jazz stuff and ballet. She even makes the team practice that shit, homie. She’s the shit, man and it already looks like you wanna take a looonnnngg wiff,” Jerome chuckled.

“Shut up, man. It’s not even like that…she has a boyfriend and I got a girl.” Justin said and looked at him.

“Both, who don’t give a damn about what y’all are doing,”
Jerome laughed more, “Look at Damien, Justin.”

Justin looked over at him, and saw that he was animatedly talking to Samuel. “So? What about him?” Justin reached in his duffel bag to pull out a baby-blue bandana.

“He’s not even supporting her. He never watches her performances, and he’s never been to one of her competitions,”

“Why the hell is she with him?” Justin asked and continued to watch Melanie dance.

“I don’t know. Neither does she, I bet. But, back to my point. I bet your fake ass girl ain’t here huh?”

“She has a lot of homework,” Justin said softly.

“HA! That’s some got-damned bull-shit baby boy,” He laughed and shook his head, “ain’t that a bitch?”

Justin chuckled and shook his head at his friend before looking up at the score board. They were winning by 20 points and they were just getting into the second half.

**

The second half went by quickly with all five Calumet boys scoring major points. The game ended with Jerome having 15 points, Mike 10, Samuel 18, Damien 21, and Justin 25.
Everyone in the stands began to make their way out the park, as the players packed up their things. Justin, Mike, and Jerome followed behind Samuel and Damien as they walked out the park.

Mike turned to Justin as they walked through the gates. “Hey, man you played good today. I’m glad we’re on the same team,”

Justin grinned, “Thanks, man so did you.”

“I’ll holla at y’all tomorrow at school,” Mike said and walked over to Damien and Samuel.

Justin and Jerome walked further out the park now, and Jerome spoke up, “You did good today, man. Tomorrow’s game is at Foster Park. You don’t wanna walk…so try and drive or get a ride, cause you’ll be tired if you try and walk. Especially, your spoiled ass,” He chuckled.

“Hey, thanks for letting me know about this. I appreciate it,” Justin said sincerely and did the hand/ slap combination before walking the opposite way towards his house.

“Come up with a nickname, pimpin’!” Jerome called to him.

“Whatever!” Justin hollered back.

Did he really expect for him to come up with some cocky nickname for himself? Justin crossed the street and sighed to himself. He wanted to go home and take a nice, hot shower. He prayed he wouldn’t have to hear his mother’s mouth and be apart of his brothers’ antics. However, he knew she was going to throw a fit when she finds out that he’d been playing basketball.

She hated it.

But, Justin didn’t care one bit. She didn’t seem to mind when they were living in California, but then again, she had a lot more money to be occupied with.

**

“Choke me, spank me, pull my hair!” I sang loudly to the song on the radio and laughed. I could feel the bass vibrate beneath me and I bounced happily in my seat. We’d won the first game, I had a reason to be happy. As I turned the corner, I saw someone walking down the street. He looked pretty familiar.

Justin.

I slowed my car down and came to a stop on the side of the street. I honked my horn to get his attention, and laughed when he jumped. Justin walked up to the side of my car and I rolled down the window, “Get in, I’ll give you a ride. It’s too cold to be walking,”

Justin obliged, opened the door and climbed into my mom’s Expedition. He sat his duffel bag down on the floor and buckled his seat belt.

“You ready?” I asked and smiled when he nodded his head, yes.

I pulled away from the curb. “Okay so where do you live?”

“Go past the school and make a right.” He said politely.

I nodded my head and drove further down the street. I’m still surprised I’m giving this guy a ride, but hey…it’s cold outside.

“Melanie, I don’t wanna sound rude when I say this, but why are you giving me a ride home?” Justin asked and looked at me with confusion in his eyes.

I laughed a little, “Good question. After all, you are my rival’s boyfriend. But, it’s freezing out there.” I said and looked at him. “Who did you come with?”

“Me and Jerome walked,” Justin said.

“Damn, I couldn’t do that,”

“I barely did.”

I chuckled a bit and stopped before making a right. “So are you planning on trying out for the basketball team?”

“I don’t know. It’s hard…I mean, I really want to but I’m kinda…”

“Scared?” I guessed. He probably had some valid reasons for being scared, but I’m trying to encourage him, not put him down. “You have nothing to be scared about, Justin. Especially, if you keep playing like you did today,” I glanced at him for a moment.

“Well, I don’t know…make a left onto this street right here.” He pointed.

I did as I was told and turned onto the street. He didn’t live in all that bad of a neighborhood. The streets were well-lit and stuff wasn’t falling over or looking like it was half dead. I pulled halfway into the driveway of the house he told me to, and held my foot on the brake.

“Thanks for giving me the ride. I appreciate it,” He said politely and climbed out.

“No problem,” I said and watched him walk up the cobblestone walkway of his home.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki