Gray Dreams by Babymamma787


Number of reviews: 69
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Saturday morning; 9:45

“I have the biggest hangover,” Mike muttered to Justin as they all sat on the bench. “All this screaming is getting on my nerves. What makes it worse is that it’s for the other team.”

Justin took a swig of his Gatorade. “You should’ve thrown up last night.”

“What?” Mike questioned

“If you make yourself throw-up, you won’t have a hangover the next morning.”

“Are you making this shit up, milk?”

“No, man. I’ve done it before,” Justin shrugged.

Mike groaned and popped in some aspirin. “You should’ve told me earlier.”

“I thought y’all would’ve known.”

The boys noticed Leroy slowly trudge in, and they were relieved because he hadn’t gotten on the bus earlier that morning. They figured he was trying to sleep a little later after their late night. His long body slowly eased into the metal folding chair and he grunted. Damien got up from the other end of the bench and stood in front of Samuel, Leroy, Jerome, Justin, and Mike. He smirked at all of their tired faces and propped his hands on his hips.

“Rough night, boys?” When no one said anything to him, he continued. “I hope y’all get your act together quick, cause we need to win. This is the only game keeping us from the championship. I hope y’all realize how much shit you will be in if we loose this game.”

“Well, Damien,” Justin said with fake pleasantry, “since you’re so good at what you do, why don’t you just help us out today and carry us through the game? I’m sure you wouldn’t mind, seeing as if you’re incredibly cocky.”

Leroy laughed and Damien looked at him menacingly, “What the hell is so funny?”

“You trying to be controlling and getting knocked down by Justin for like…the 10th time this season.”

“Hey, nigga! Don’t talk to me like that!”

Leroy rose his lanky body and towered over Damien who stood right below his shoulder. “Or you’ll do what? You feelin’ froggish now, nigga? Leap! I dare you.”

Damien said nothing. The girls, all of the step squad and half of the cheerleaders, made their presence known by entering the gym. They walked over to where the boys were seated and placed their stuff on the bleachers behind the bench. The girls then stood in the spots they stood in at every game, and prepared for another two hours of yelling and dancing. Melanie stood in the front row, her face lacking the smile she usually had.

*
I am so pissed off at Justin it’s not even funny. He knows it too. Good. He pulled out his Eastbay magazine and he and Jerome are discussing the new DADA shoes that have spreewells on them. I wish I could throw a shoe at him. But, I still wouldn’t mind kissing him just for the simple fact that he didn’t cheat on me- I’m willing to believe Jerome about that.

It’s time to bring in the starting players, Jerome, Leroy, Damien, Justin, and Mike. Myself and about 6 other girls formed two lines with the other basketball players that weren’t starting. We rattled our pompoms as the MC announced their names, and the boys ran through. It’s Justin’s turn. He’s coming through- don’t look at him. Don’t look at him! He’s getting closer-Don’t look…God, he’s beautiful. He had to give me the I’m-sorry-and-I-hope-you-forgive-me look. It was so cute. But, I’m not going to let him know that I thought it was cute- oh no. That would be too easy.

*
The Wildcats were beating the Calumet Indians 39-27 in the 2nd quarter. There were only five minutes left in the half and the Indian fans that had shown up, about half of the amount at the home games, weren’t very pleased with the way their boys were playing. Jerome had picked up his third foul and was replaced by Samuel. Justin had only scored 8 points in the game with 2 fouls, and Damien had racked up about 15.
Mike passed the ball in bounds to Samuel and Samuel took down the court and passed it to Justin would was in the corner, perfect position for a three-pointer. Justin grabbed the ball and looked around, and decided to pass the ball to Leroy, who was in the paint so that he could get the two pointer instead. The Indians gained two points, but the coach wasn’t happy with Justin dismissing a shot that he easily makes.

The buzzer sounded for the end of the first half, and the Wildcat cheerleading squad went to center court. All of the Indians filed into a nearby conference room. The girls stood in the back, while the boys sat on the chairs in front of the blackboards.

Coach Robinson paced back and forth, slightly glancing at the boys as they wiped sweat on their towels. “I can’t believe this!” he yelled, “you guys want to wait until now, the game before the championship, to mess around out there!”
His assistant coach began to draw plays out on the board as the coach ranted.

“Justin,” Robinson called.

“Yes?”

“I’m benching you,” he said and you could see him battling with himself.

Justin exhaled loudly because he couldn’t get upset, and because he had no reason to. “Okay.” He looked over at Damien, whose grin was so big it took up all of his face.

“Something’s not right, fellas,” the coach pointed his finger disapprovingly. “It’s not just Justin. All of you are playing very poorly. This is just not the right game to do this! Kevin, I want you to go in for Mike. Jerome, go in for Justin. You have three fouls, but you’re a good replacement.”

The assistant coach began to explain more plays, but Coach Robinson interrupted him. “No, wait. I want to know what’s going on?”

“Going on with what?” Leroy asked.

“Why are you guys playing so bad? We’ve never been down more than ten in a game.”

The boys lowered their heads, but Damien rose his hand.
Melanie spoke up before he got a chance, “Shove it, Damien.”

Damien snapped his head at her and gave her a nasty look. The other boys gave her looks of shock.

“Man, whatever,” Damien waved a hand at her.

“What is it?” Coach Robinson asked.

“Well,” Damien started, “the boys went out last night and-“
“Say no more,” the coach rose his hand to silence Damien. “If that’s the case, there will be a practice at 8 tomorrow morning.”

“Tomorrow is Sunday coach!” Justin whined

“I’m aware of that.”

“Well, I can’t come,” Justin said defiantly. “I have to go to church.”

Jerome chuckled softly, knowing that Justin didn’t go to church. Coach Robinson sighed and shook his head. “Ask God to forgive you.”

*
The Calumet Indians would be playing in the championship game on Friday, for they had beaten the Wildcats 80-75. Everyone filed into the bus quietly, not looking forward to the many practices they would need to prepare for the big game. Melanie filed into a seat that was closer to the back of the bus, and Chasity was about to sit next to her, but Justin hurriedly pushed her back into the seat behind Melanie’s and plopped down next to Melanie.

“Jerk,” Chasity huffed.

Justin propped up on his knees and blew her a kiss over the back of the seat. In return, she flipped him off. Justin sank down into the uncomfortable leather seat and looked at the back of Melanie’s turned head.

“Sweetie, please,” he touched her arm, but she jerked it away. “Babe, we need to talk about it sometime or another.”

“Well I don’t want to talk about it now, obviously,” she said lowly to the window.

“What about over dinner when we go to see Musiq tonight?”

Melanie turned around and looked at him as if he were crazy. “I have to work.”

“I thought you said you were going to take tonight off?”

“I thought you said you were either going to go to the Pizzeria or either Papa Ti’s last night?”

Justin smacked his lips and looked at the back of the seat in front of him. He sighed, threw his arms up in defeat, and let them plop down on his lap.

“Mel-“

“I don’t want to talk to you right now. Let Chasity come back over here, and go ask one of your drinking buddies if they want to go."

Justin just looked at her, and said nothing. There was nothing to say. He messed up, and he knew it, so there was nothing he could say to please her. Reluctantly he rose from the seat and sat next to Jerome, who was on the other side of the bus.

Later that Night

Melanie’s not answering her cell phone. I wonder if she’s really working tonight. She’s probably being mean, and she probably told me she was working when she wasn’t. I’m sorry I did what I did, but it’s not like I can take it back. I shouldn’t have done what I did, but she can at least try to talk to me about it. All I did was get trashed. I did it to myself, and she’s making a bigger deal out of it than I am.

I’m sitting in my room with nothing to do. Stephen’s laying on his bed watching TV. Robert’s here…again. He and my mom are in the living room. The concert is in two hours. I still have no one to go with. God, WHY IS SHE DOING THIS TO ME? I’ve never felt so rejected in my life! Why? Man, Why? No one as ever made me feel this bad. I feel like shit- all this over one girl.

“Stephen,” I groaned

“What?” he whined.

“Melanie is-“

“I don’t want to her about your dumb relationship!”

How dare he! “My relationship isn’t dumb! You’re dumb!”

“No, I’m not. I’m not moping around over some girl that I barely even know,” the asshole snickered.

“I know Melanie.”

“You guys have only been together for a couple weeks, and you guys act like you’re married.”

“No, reject. Actually, I’ve known her since September.”

“Whatever. I’m sure she’s not moping over you, so get over it. After all, she’s just going to embarrass you at the end of the school year like Kelice did.”

“What are you talking about?”

Stephen turned from the TV and stared at me. What the hell is he looking at? “You know what the heck I’m talking about. She blamed your break-up on you leaving. Gave you the whole ‘long-distance-relationships-don’t-work’ speech. You know, how she made you look like a love-sick idiot?”

“Hey!”

“Hay is for horses and you’re a cow…so eat up,” he snickered at his own comeback. What an ass. “All I’m saying, Justin, is that you can’t get attached to this girl. It’s all going to end in a couple of months.”

“I think you’re wrong. We have a connection.”

Steven laughed and mocked me loudly. “If having sex all the time is what you call a connection, then so be it, man. You said you and Kelice had a connection. You and Kelice don’t even connect through the internet.”

Whatever. Stephen is a little kid. What does he know? Nothing. He’s in Junior High and he doesn’t have a girlfriend, so he wouldn’t know what it’s like.

“Now, instead of focussing on Melanie, focus on Dad.”

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Stephen and I have devised a plan. We’re going to tell Dad to come out here this to win mom back, but he’s going to say he’s here to see his son, that’s me, play basketball. Perfect timing! Everything is going to be perfect, and he’s bound to say yes. Besides, dear mother will be so surprised to see him, she won’t even know how to function properly. Then Robert will go bye-bye.

“Should I call him now?”

“Yeah, do it now. You’re not doing anything else.”

“I still need to call Mela-“

“NO! Call dad!”

Geeze! Calm down, bud! Stephen threw me the phone, which I caught, and I began to dial my dad’s office number first. It’s ringing, ringing again, again, again…pick up the-

“Dad?”

“Yeah, son? Which son is this?”

The only one who sounds like they’ve hit puberty. “Justin, dad.”

“Oh hey! It’s good to hear from you! How have you been?”

“I’ve been great. We’re playing in the championship game,” no need to beat around the bush.

“That’s great, son!”

Okay, so that’s when he was supposed to say ‘I wanna come see you play!’ “Are you going to be busy at the end of the week?”

“I depends, why?”

Is he really that dense? “Cause I was wondering if you’d like to come and see me play.”

Stephen smiled at me and gave me an enthusiastic thumb up. He’s a nerd.

“You want me to come see you?” He sounds a little surprised.

“Of course I want you to, dad.”

“Sure, I’ll come! What’s the weather like over there? I’ll come on Wednesday!” How cute. He’s anxious.

“Wednesday?” I yelled with fake shock so that Stephen could hear. He lit up like a light bulb and nodded his head for me to okay it.

“Is Wednesday not good?” He asked.

No, it’s not. That’s way too long. That would be too obvious because the game is on Friday. “How long are you planning on staying?”

“I’ll leave some time at the end of the weekend,” he said nonchalantly.

Wow. “Hold on, someone’s on the other line,” have you ever used that line with someone on the phone? Works wonders when you just want them to shut up for like five seconds.

I turned to Stephen, “He wants to stay ‘til the end of the weekend!”

“That’s good!” He’s so young, so naïve.

“No, it’s not,”

“Yes, it’s perfect. Have I not taught you anything?” Oh please. “If he stays for about four or five days, that will give him time to sink into mom’s brain. Don’t tell Robert and mom that dad’s coming, that way Robert will be intimidated when we casually throw around ‘dad’ and stuff. If he’s intimidated, he won’t show up as much, he’ll eventually be upset with the whole situation and begin to avoid mom. Why? Because he’ll think she wants to get with dad.”

He’s good. “Where did you learn about all of this?”

“Young and the Restless.”

“It won’t work! That’s a soap opera, Stephen!”

“So? You’ll never know unless you give it a try!”

“Fine.” I’m trusting his ass. I got back on the phone with my dad. “Dad?”

“Yes,” he answered cheerfully.

“Okay, so I’ll pick you up from the airport on Wednesday! Oh. And mom doesn’t know you’re coming.”

“She always liked surprises.”

She won’t like this one. “Yeah, dad. You’re right and she still does.”

“See you Wednesday, son.”

“You too!”

I hung up the phone and took a long, deep breathe. “If this doesn’t work, Stephen…I’m blaming it all on you.”

“Oh yeah,” Stephen rolled his eyes. “Like our parents are going to believe a habitual liar over their son who hardly ever gets in trouble.”

Shit! Why? We better not get caught.

PT2

“Girl, you need to bring me some new pictures of that fine ass boyfriend of yours,” Randy, the gay man in every woman-run hair salon, gushed to Melanie as he bumped the ends of her newly highlighted hair.

Melanie laughed slightly, “You don’t want his ugly mug on your station,”

“Yes I do! This is me we’re talking about!”

Everyone, including Melanie’s mom laughed. Melanie pulled her cell phone out of her purse, “This boy has been calling me all day.”

“You getting tired of him?” Randy quirked, “I’ll take him, honey. Shoot, you ain’t said nothin’ but a word.”

“Randy! He’s straight! We got in a fight, so he’s been trying to apologize.”

“Why don’t you let the boy explain?” Rhonda made a face at her daughter from the wash bowl.

“Because, mama! I don’t feel like talkin’ to him.” Randy turned her chair around, “He lied to me!”

“Well, I would’ve lied to you too. You have to realize that he’s a teenager just like you, he’s going to lie if he thinks it’ll get him in trouble,” Rhonda said.

“Why do you always side with him? If you knew how many times he’s put himself in those situations-“

“For your information, missy, he’s told me everything about the things he did,” Rhonda rose her eyebrows. “You could at least give him a chance to explain himself.”

“Mother,” Melanie blurted with anger. “There is nothing to explain. He lied. He’s going to lie again.”

“Well,” Rhonda rose her client from the bowl and sat in her in her chair so that she could blow-dry the woman’s hair. “If he’s such a liar, why don’t you just break up with him? If you can’t trust them, you can’t be with them. You broke up with Damien-“

“I broke up with Damien because he cheated on me,” Melanie interrupted and stood to let Randy take the cloak from around her neck. “Justin didn’t cheat.”

“Cheating is the same thing as lying,” Rhonda turned on the blow dryer, but turned if off to make another point. “You still want to be with him, and you care, and you know you’re willing to give him another chance cause you wanna be with-“

“Oh my gosh!” Randy exclaimed, “There goes his fine ass now!”

Melanie snapped her head in the direction of the window, her hair gliding in front of her face, and gasped. Indeed, Justin had just gotten his fine ass out of his white truck. Melanie immediately grabbed her things, threw Randy his money and prepared to leave.

“Tell him I left already! Randy, take those pictures off your station!” She said to everyone in the salon, and her mother made a face as her she watched her daughter run into the back room where the dryers were.

Justin blew air out of his mouth, his lips making an ‘o’ shape, as he pulled the glass door open slowly and greeted everyone in the salon. Women waved hello and smiled their best smile at the young man who immediately went to Rhonda’s station. She turned off her blow dryer and gave him a quick hug. Rhonda then pulled out a stool that was under her countertop and set it out so Justin could have a seat.

“Hey, sugah,” She smiled and began to run a comb through her client’s hair. She then said to her client, “Why don’t you go sit under the dryer a little while I’ll talk to Justin okay?”

When the lady left, Rhonda took a seat in the black leather chair and looked at Justin expectantly.

“Sorry for interrupting, mama,” He said meekly.

“It’s fine. What can I do for you?”

“I came to see Melanie- Chasity said she was here.”

“Is something wrong?” Rhonda asked, stalling in order to decide if she wanted to tell Justin the truth or not.

Justin sighed, “Yeah, she’s mad at me and I want to talk it out but…”

“She’s being too stubborn?” Rhonda finished and smirked.

“Yeah,” he nodded, “I’ve been calling her all day and she just lets her phone ring. I don’t even know what to do anymore- I’ve been thinking about her all day. I don’t even know what to say to her, but just having her listening to me would mean a whole lot. “

“This is good,” Randy chimed, and sat at the station directly across from them, with a bag of popcorn in his hand. When Rhonda and Justin looked at him quizzically, he waved a hand at the two of them and smiled, “Keep goin’! Don’t even mind me.”

Rhonda looked at him like he was crazy and said, “Boy, get your ass up and do some hair!”

“Pssh,” Randy rolled his eyes, “Girl what you thought? I’m on break shoooot,” he drawled.

“Do you not see people waiting?” Rhonda pointed to the three women sitting on the couch.

“Them ain’t my clients!” Randy lowered his head and rose his eyebrows.

Rhonda grabbed an iron from the oven and threatened him with it, causing him to jump up. Through gritting teeth she said, “Get’cho ass up, Negro!” And with every word, she shoved the iron at him.

“Okay! Okay….DAYUM!” Randy rose his hands and rolled his neck, “Black people!” He grunted and went back to his own station.

Justin rose his eyebrows and tried his best to hide a smile. “So, do you know where she’s at?”

Randy made a loud, disapproving noise, “Hrmph,” he continued his incorrect use of language, “Her in the back hidin’.”

“What?” Justin asked, not sure of what he’d heard.

All of a sudden, a white flip flop was thrown in the direction of Randy, but failed to reach the back of his head as intended.

Randy gasped dramatically, “Heffa!” He yelled to the back room, just as the back door closed, “You need to be thankful I did yo’ hair today! Got’chu lookin’ better than Beyonce and shit! Girl you betta appreciate me…shoot!”

Justin jogged in the direction of Melanie, but stopped when he’d reached Randy. He picked up the flip flop off the floor, and patting Randy’s back, gave him a smile. “Thanks, man,” and left the building.

Once Justin was out of ear-shot, Randy replied seductively, “Oo! Anytime, boo.”

Rhonda then walked up behind Randy and smacked the back of his head.

Justin pushed the door open strongly and ran outside. The
sun was beginning to set, and made everything look gray and gloomy. He saw Melanie on the other end of the small parking lot that was situated behind the salon.

“Melanie!” He called, “Babe, please just stop and listen to me.” He ran behind her just as she was about to open the door, and stuck his hands on both sides of the door so that she was stuck between him and the car. “Please,” he said softly, barely out of breath from running.

“Justin,” Melanie lazily whined, “please just go. You can’t say anything worth hearing.”

“No,” he said firmly, “Not until you listen to me- I have the right to say what I want to say.”

“And I have the right to not listen.”

“True, but I’m asking you to,” His blue eyes searched for any trace of easiness, but there was none.

Instead, she gave him a rigid stare, “And I’m asking you to leave me alone! You know how this works Justin- your dad’s a lawyer. I could easily scream, make up some bullshit story about you harassing me and then women’s rights would come in-I win. So, leave me alone.”

Justin laughed and shook his head. “My dad’s a lawyer who wins almost every case he takes- whether it’s fair or not doesn’t matter. And, I’m his son, so do you really think that if you were to file sexual harassment on me you’d get more out of it than hush money?”

Melanie had begun to think about it at first, but shook her daydreams out of her head. This was not the time, nor place to discuss the law. “Justin, just leave me alone and let me get into my car.”

“Why won’t you let me speak to you? It’s not fair!”

“Fair? It’s not fair that you lied to me, Justin!” She yelled, “It’s not fair that I had to be worried about your bitch-ass.”

“Look! Let’s be real for a minute. You really think you woulda been calm and let me go to that club?”

“Hell no!”

“That’s my point! I wasn’t goin-“

“No, there’s no excuse, Justin! You had a game the very next morning, that should’ve told you that you didn’t need to be out late! But, you didn’t fucking care! You went out anyway. It’s not just about getting drunk and shit, Justin. You have commitments,” Melanie scolded.

“What I do with my time, is my business! If I wanna go out and get shit-face drunk, then I will. I am 18 years old, and I don’t need you trying to reprimand me every time I do one little thing you don’t like!” He yelled.

“What the fuck, Justin? One little thing? You been doing this shit for a while now-“

“I know that! Jesus! I already have a mother, I don’t need another one,” he spat

“Well, I’m sorry for caring about what the fuck you do with yourself! Am I not supposed to care, Justin? Is that what you want?”

Justin’s icy blue eyes stared at her. He exhaled deeply and watched his breath float from his mouth. He didn’t know what he wanted, but he did know that he didn’t want to loose Melanie. He brought his hand to his face and massaged his temples.

He spoke in low tones, “All I know is that I want us to work things out.”

Melanie rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. “Well then stop keeping things from me!”

“It’s hard for me to just…I don’t know, man!” Justin made a sour face and turned his back to her. He roughly pushed his hands through his hair and looked at the gray sky that paralleled his thoughts- obscure.

Melanie slowly walked closer to his distraught form and ran her hands up and down his tense back lovingly. Justin seemed to relax a little, but his face still showed anguish. She examined his clenched jaw line, tight lips, furrowed eyebrows, and dark eyes. His hands were clasped together and perched atop his head.

Melanie looked at him as she spoke, “Baby, you need to stop lying to yourself. That way, you won’t lie to other people as much.”

“I’m not lying to myself about anything,” he said gravely as his eyes began to water.

She hurt watching him hurt. “I think you are, Justin. You need to stop destroying yourself like this. Maybe you need to talk to your family or something and get things straightened out, cause I think that’s what’s causing your problems.”

Justin knew that he had issues with alcohol and drugs. However, he wasn’t willing to admit it because he figured since he’d been able to stop for a short amount of time, it wasn’t that big of a deal. But, he still thought about drinking and smoking every chance he’d got. So, when the opportunity was presented, he’d taken it without thinking it.

He distinctly remembered the looks of shock he received from his friends, for they’d never known he could consume as much toxins as he had. Everything that Melanie had said to him was right- he knew he had things to work out before he would be able to recover from whatever it was he had. Depression at times, when he wasn’t with Melanie or when he was in a bad situation, and other times- anxiety. His continuing battle with Damien was beginning to irk his nerves, and made him think a lot more about things he shouldn’t be thinking about. Involuntarily, tears began to freely fall from Justin’s eyes.

Melanie embraced him tightly and continuously told him he’d be okay.

Justin pulled out of their hug and stared vulnerably. “I need you.”

Melanie nodded, “I know, and I’m here for you.” She grabbed his hands and squeezed them, “Go home, wash your face and change. Come by my house in an hour. The concert is at eight, and I don’t want to be late.” When he just looked at her, she thought about what she had said. “I can understand if you’re not up to going anymore-you’ve had a rough day. But, I know how much you love Musiq, and I want to see you smile,” she herself smiled warily.

“I still wanna go,” he said softly, “I’ll see you in an hour.”

*
Melanie observed her reflection in the mirror. Her body was covered in a simple black spaghetti-strapped dress that had a few ruffles at her shins, and the Jimmy Choo stilettoes she’d gotten in California. She moved her hair from her shoulders so that the curls flowed down her back. Grinning, she was thankful that she’d specifically gotten a table on the balcony so that she wouldn’t have to stand all night. At 7:15, the doorbell rang, and Melanie grabbed her purse and left her room.

Rhonda had already made it to the door and was hugging Justin, so Melanie stood casually in the living room. It was then that she noticed her mother’s boyfriend, Tony, sitting comfortably on the couch.

“You look nice,” Tony said.

“Thank you,” Melanie replied with a fake smile.

“Don’t stay out too late,” he warned.

Melanie rolled her eyes and left the living room without a word. She smiled when she caught Justin’s eye. That smile was genuine. Rhonda moved out of the way and ventured into the kitchen. Justin had looked happier, thankfully. He looked sexy too, Melanie presumed. She eyed his black slacks and blue buttoned-down shirt and noticed the red roses he held in his hand.

“These are for you,” he said as he handed them to her.

She had to admit she did feel awkward. It felt as though they were starting all over again. Usually he had a smart-ass comment for her. She took them anyway, and blushed, “Thank you, sweetie.”

“No, thank you for putting up with me,” he chuckled.

Melanie grabbed his hand when he held it out for her, and kissed her mom good-bye on their way out the door. Once they’d gotten in the car, it was silent for the first 10 minutes of the drive.

“My dad’s coming on Wednesday,” Justin broke the silence.

“Yeah? For the game?”

“Yeah, he’s coming early. It’s gonna be cool cause he’ll have time to patch things up with my mom.”

Melanie nodded her head slowly. “You’re really intent on them getting back together, huh?”

“Yes,” Justin stated firmly.

“Funny,” she smirked.

“What?”

“You were the one who broke them up. Well, not exactly but-“

“I did that because I thought I was doing what was right,” Justin interrupted.

“You did do what was right. All I’m saying is that you did it for a reason, so you need to stick to it.”

Justin sighed, “My dad has changed, and I want my mother to see that. When I rat him out, I did it out of anger. I did want him gone, and I did think he was a low-life. But, he’s changed.”

“I see,” Melanie nodded again, “So why do you want him back in your life?”

“Because I miss him,” Justin said and kept his eyes transfixed on the road.

“You miss him, or you miss the money?” She smirked and looked at his side profile that had suddenly tightened up.

“Both,” he said sheepishly.

“At least you’re admitting it. Justin, have you tried talking to your mom?”

“About what?”

“About how she feels? Have you asked her if she misses your dad?” Melanie looked at him expectantly.

“Well, she must not miss him that much if she’s dating Robert.”

“Then why force it? Obviously, she’s moved on.”

“I’m not trying to force anything, babe. I just want her to miss him again. Once she misses him, she’s going to miss the lifestyle, then she’ll go back to him.”

“But, Justin. What you’re doing doesn’t make sense,” She tried to reason. “I know you want him back in your life, but you’re the one who pushed him away. You told your mom he was cheating, so they split. Now you just want to put them back together? You can’t control their lives, Justin.”

“I know, babe,” he sighed.

“But, wait. It shouldn’t be that bad, right? She’s expecting him to be there, so she should know what she’ll be getting herself into right?” She watched Justin silently wince, “Right?”

“She doesn’t know he’s coming.”

“Why not?” She rose her voice.

“I’ll tell her…soon,” he lied.

“When? The day he arrives?”

“That could work,” Justin pondered and Melanie swatted his arm.

Justin finally pulled his truck into the parking lot of the House of Blues. Happily, he parked the car, got out, and opened the door for Melanie. He draped his arm around her shoulder as they walked toward the entrance. Melanie wrapped her arm around his waist, and snuggled into his middle, smelling his fresh cologne. They walked into the venue, which was already beginning to fill up with people, and made their way up the lively decorated stairs and to the equally decorated balcony.

The two sat at the table closest to the edge, and Justin looked down at the floor below and the stage where the band was beginning to set up. Melanie watched him watch others and noticed the blue lights accent his blue eyes perfectly. The dim yellow lights at the bar behind them shone on his unruly hair, and gave it an angelic type of glow. While the band was getting situated, music from speakers played. Erykah Badu’s “Love of My Life” filled the venue, and Justin’s head was one that bobbed with the rest. Melanie smirked as he sang the words and looked like he had disappeared into his own little world. His respect and love for music lucidly came out.

“Ooh, you know you rock my world and,” Justin sang to her.

Melanie smiled and sang back, “You be boy,” she pointed, “and I’ll be girl and…”

“…We won’t stop until the break of dawn!”

The two shared a quick laugh and Justin moved his chair so that he was sitting next to Melanie instead of across from her. He lightly kissed her cheek and grinned when she blushed.

“I like your hair like that,” he said in her ear.

When she turned her head, his lips were close enough for her to kiss him effortlessly, but she remained abstemious. “Thank you,” she said instead, “I’ll probably change it next week.”

“Why? It looks fine, it makes you look more lively,” he smiled his crooked smile.

“Really?” She scrunched her face up. “It’s whatever.”

“Well, I like it,” he mentioned, “That black was getting boring.”

Melanie rose her eyebrows and smirked. Another Erykah Badu song came on, “Bag Lady”, and Justin knew the words to that song too.

“I take it you know your Erykah Badu?” Melanie asked into his ear.

“Yeah,” he stared at her. “She’s awesome. I have all her CDs,” Justin boasted. Shocked, she nodded her head slowly and stuck out her bottom lip. “What?” He asked. “You didn’t think I would or something?”

“Pretty much,” she admitted.

“Well…you learn something new every day. Besides, haven’t I already told you that you’d be surprised about the things you didn’t know about me?”

“Yeah,” Melanie nodded idly, but then she knew what was coming.

“All right then,” he quipped.

“Shhhuuuttt uppp,” They said together in his goofy tone and laughed.

Justin cuddled up next to her by laying his head on his shoulder, and wrapping his arms around her waist. Melanie laughed as his hair tickled the side of her face and the smell of his shampoo tickled her senses. Justin kissed her neck lovingly and quickly proceeded to kiss her jaw line.

“Let’s go to the movies after this,” Justin mumbled.

“Um…no. You have practice tomorrow morning at 8, so you need to get your rest,” Melanie ordered.

“But, babe,” Justin whined.

“But, nothin’.”

Musiq came out on stage and ended their little disagreement by starting with ‘Love’. Justin was silenced and his full attention was given to the musician before him. The concert continued, as did Justin’s appreciation. At times, Justin sang the songs quietly to Melanie in her ear and made her blush. Throughout the whole concert, surprisingly, he stayed wrapped around Melanie the way he was when the concert began. When the concert ended, the two slowly filed out behind the others, completely satisfied and tired at the same time. The concert had lasted a good 2 hours.

Once they were in the parking lot, Melanie asked, “Ya still wanna go to the movies?”

Justin knew she was mocking him, but pretended not to notice. “Yeah!” He feigned enthusiasm.

“No, you don’t,” she chuckled and rolled her eyes.

“I’m tired, babe.”

“I told you,” she said when he opened the passenger door for her.

“I don’t understand why Damien had to run his mouth,” Justin said and backed out. “I think I’m going to talk to him.”

“Don’t start anything-“

“I said talk, babe. Just a talk. I really do want to know why he acts the way he does, and I want to hear it come from his mouth- not everyone else’s.”

“Either way, he’s going to think you’re trying to start something. Baby, don’t worry about him!” Melanie whined. “Just run your race.”

“I know, I know. I won’t be thinking about him much though. After all, you’re right- I do have my own shit to worry about.”

Without much talk after that, the two pulled into the parking structure of Melanie’s apartments. They stepped out of the truck simultaneously and Justin locked his doors using the alarm. They silently walked hand-in-hand up the staircases that led to her floor, and down the long hallway that finally led to her room. Melanie stopped in front of the door and turned to face Justin, only to grin at him.

“You can’t come in,” she said sweetly.

Justin lowered his head and looked up at her skeptically, “Why is that?”

“Because,” she shrugged nonchalantly, “I’m not letting you off the hook that easily. Besides, we haven’t been away from each other at night for 2 weeks straight.”

“And?” Justin saw no problem.

Melanie chuckled, “That’s freaky, Justin. No other couple does that.”

Justin rolled his eyes, “Well…maybe that’s because no other couple-“ he stopped himself, and shook his head. “No,” he waved his hands, “You’re right.”

“What are you not saying?”

“Nothing, nothing…I-I’m fine- really,” he proceeded to run his hand through his hair, sigh, and purse his lips.

“You didn’t leave anything in here that you wanted to get did you?”

Justin chuckled with fake ease, “Nah, I’m cool,” He pointed to the other end of the hallway that would lead him out of this awkward situation. “I’m gonna go. I’ll call you.”

“Okay,” Melanie whispered and allowed him to lightly kiss her cheek. She then jiggled the key into the lock and pushed open the door to find her mother briskly walking away and acting as though she hadn’t been eavesdropping.

*
Maybe Steven’s right. Maybe I’m taking things to serious with Melanie and I. It’s senior year and I shouldn’t be getting attached, which is what Jerome always tells me. But, I can’t help who I get attached to. People don’t seem to understand that even though Melanie and I have only been together officially for two weeks, we were messing around for a while. I got to know her and it feels like we’ve been together for months. I don’t know what’s going on in my damn life anymore. Maybe things will be easier after this last basketball game, and I’ll be free from all of the stress and stupid drama.

I can’t believe she told me I couldn’t come in. I mean I believe it, cause I know it happened, but we always sleep together. I look forward to cuddling up with her, and now I have to sleep in my bed all by myself. I really really really really don’t feel like going to practice tomorrow! Maybe I just shouldn’t show up, or show up within the last 30 minutes of practice.

I pulled into the driveway slowly behind my mom’s…Lexus. It came! I missed her expression though…oh well. Robert’s here, as usual, but I’m sure that will change Wednesday. I got out the car, and noticed a green Civic on the other side of Robert’s Suburban. I know nobody with a green Civic, and whoever it is does not need to be here at 1 o’ clock in the morning. Hell, Robert doesn’t need to be here at 1 o’ clock in the morning. He better not be fucking my mother.

My pace to the door quickened, and one I had the key in, I yanked it open. I sat my gym bag and keys on the table by the door, and walked further into our house. It’s dirty- my dad cannot see it like this.

The kitchen light is on. “Mom!” I called, you better not be doing anything dirty.

“Shh!” she shushed me, “You’ll wake John and Robert. A friend of yours stopped by the house about 20 minutes ago. She said she’d just come back from hanging out with her girlfriends, and decided to stop by on the way home,” my mother went on about shit I know nothing of.

“Who? Why would she come by at 1?”

“Nicole,” she said nonchalantly, “Well, at first she left a letter for you, but I caught her and told her to come in.”

“I don’t know a Nicole, mom.” Do I?

“Sure you do, Justin. Why else would she be here? Go in there and talk to her so she can get out, and I can go to bed. When you’re done, tell me, cause I need to have a little chat with you too.”

“Whatever,” I mumbled.

“Excuse me?”

Oops, “I didn’t say anything,” I really need to stop lying.

I walked into the kitchen and stuck my head out past the cabinets to see who this ‘Nicole’ person is. Oh shit- It’s that Nicole!

Melanie looked at the bowl of fake fruit that was situated in the middle of the island. “Um…I got an email from Victoria about Damien. She said that he cheated on me with Nicole,” She informed him, and got a surprising response from him.

He gave her a blank stare. “Who is Nicole?”

Melanie lowered her head and looked up at him- completing her disbelieving, sarcastic stare. “Nicole, Justin!” she whined, “What other Nicole could I be talking about? She’s the black girl that hangs out with Joya. She stands on my left side at games! Nicole, the senior!”

“Oh,” Justin stated simply. “Oh well.”


Crap, Nicole is not supposed to be at my house right now.

“Justin? Was that you?”

“Uh yeah…”

Nicole stood up and smiled, “Hi. Sorry I came by unannounced-“

“And at 1 in the morning?”

She giggled nervously, but there’s nothing to giggle about. “Yeah, that too. I left a letter on the porch at first, but your mom saw me and invited me in. Anyway, I came because I need your help. It’s serious.”

Uh oh, “Okay, what is it?”

“This performing arts school in New York offered to give me a dance scholarship…”

That’s cool, “A full ride?”

“Yeah, and the only way I can get that is if I pass my Algebra II class, and right now I’m getting an F,” she winced.

I hope she’s not asking what I think she is. “So, what do you need me for?”

“I heard that you’re really smart and Jerome told me that you’re taking Calculus right now,” She continued.

“Pre-Calculus,” I corrected.

“It’s still Calculus, and it’s still a higher level of math than what I’m taking. Meaning, you’re still able to tutor me.”

“I don’t know,” I said wearily.

“Justin I will get on my knees,” she pleaded. Calm down. I know you’re a hoe, but damn. “And beg, that is,” Nicole fixed her slip up, “I really need you to tutor me.”

“Why couldn’t you ask someone else?” Someone Asian?

“Because I don’t know anyone else that can help me.”

I don’t believe her. “Surely, there is somebody else besides me that can help you.”

“I’m beginning to feel you don’t want to tutor me, Justin,” Nicole recognized- she’s a quick learner. “I can completely understand your position though, you being with Melanie and all. But please…I really need this. You’re the only person I know remotely that I’d feel comfortable around. Melanie doesn’t even have to know, I sure as hell won’t tell her. You know how she can get sometimes.”

Whatever. “Okay,” I sighed and she hugged me giddily. “When do you want to start?”

“I have a test on Friday,” she winces because she knows damn well Friday isn’t a good day for either of us.

“How are we going to work around practices?” I asked.

“Well, we could meet in the library before school?”

I hate waking up early, but this is to help someone in need, “Okay, I’ll see you Monday at 7. Please don’t be late okay?”

Nicole ran over and hugged me tightly. “Thank you sooooo much! You are a lifesaver!”

Somebody needs to save me before I drown.

Part Three

There are actually people at this damn school at 7 o’ clock in the morning? They must be underclassmen that don’t have cars. I thought about driving my mom’s Lexus today, and she was going to let me! But, then I remembered what city I live in and the school I attend. Not happening. I’m a little early- it’s 6:55, that gives me time to get to the library. Nicole better be there because I don’t wait on people. I’m already paranoid that Melanie’s gonna pop out some bushes and be like “What the hell are you doing!”

I didn’t call her yesterday, but I think she had to work anyway so it doesn’t matter. Coach kept us practicing until 10 yesterday. He’s a mad-man. He had us doing sprints up and down the court and shit like we were in boot camp or something. We had to dribble between cones that were super close together, and if we hit one, we had to go all the way back to the beginning of the course. Robert helped me soak my ankles that night.

Speaking of that man, he was here this morning. He spent the night last night, and I am now sure that he is fucking my mother. Even though she tries to deny it, I know he’s hitting that shit. They think they’re slick, but I am the king of sneaky sex.

“He fell asleep on the couch last night, Justin. I didn’t want to wake him,” she said this morning. Bullshit, mom. Just wait. Wait until daddy comes home. He’s got something for that ass.

We need some elevators in this damn school. The board should be more considerate to the fact that athletes are sore and don’t feel like walking up numerous flights of stairs! I walked into the library, looked around. Where’s Nicole? I don’t see her….where is the wench at? Oh, there she is. She’s smiling and waving at me from the back of the library.

As I walked over to the long table she was seated at, I looked around for anyone who could possibly make something bigger out of our situation than it needs to be.

“Hey, you’re right on time, kid,” Nicole smiled. Did she really just call me a kid?

“Hi,” I took a seat in the hard wooden chair. “Are you ready to start?”

“Yeah,” she smiled again. She swears she’s in a Crest White Strips commercial. “Our test is on graphing.”

“Graphing what?”

She pulled out a piece of notebook paper with her writing on it. “This.”

I look on the paper to see parabolas, hyperbolas, ellipses, circles, absolute value graphs…the whole nine yards. This is going to take forever, but hopefully she knows something.

“Okay, so tell me what you do know.” Please know something!

“Absolutely nothing.”

Fuck! Instead of cussing at her, I sighed and took her book. “Do you know what an asymptote is?” She grinned and shook her head, “No, sure don’t,” She shrugged. What the hell is she shrugging for? This is not a shrugging matter!

“How about standard form for a circle?”

She paused- maybe she knows! “Um…Ax+By=C?”

Oh Lord. At least we now know she passed pre-algebra.

“To be completely honest, I hardly ever go to that class. It’s the last class of the day, and the last thing I have on my mind is math,” she explained and smiled.

I nodded my head even though what she said is ridiculous. And she wonders why she’s failing? “Well you do know you need to go to class. You can’t pass it if you’re never in it. What’s keeping you from going to class?”

“Melanie,” she said bluntly.

Okay, this is getting weird. “How is Melanie keeping you from going to class?”

“All the practices! I’m so busy thinking about routines and worrying if she’s going to start bitching at people for no reason. She stresses me out.”

“Well, maybe you should quit the team.”

“I need to stay- being on the team is what got me those scholarships. I didn’t think we were that good for more than just Melanie to get scholarships. She really does bring out the best in us, but it’s hard being on the team with her.”

“Maybe that’s something you should talk out with her,” I said cautiously. I don’t want to get any more in the middle of their drama than I already am.

“She won’t listen. She’s stubborn. I’m supposed to be at practice right now- she added an hour of practice in the morning, but being with you right now is more important.”

Whoa. “You mean passing your math class is more important.”

“Right,” she paused awkwardly, “That.”

“Anyway, we should just get started.”

*
‘Show Me You Soul’, off the Bad Boys II soundtrack, was blasting through the gym’s built in speakers. All sixty girls that made up Calumet High’s pep squad were rehearsing their opening routine for Friday for the 3rd time. It was only 7:30, but the girls were all breathing extremely hard when they’d finished. Melanie looked around at everyone’s determined faces, and only one determined face was missing.

“Does anyone know where Nicole is? I saw her car this morning,” Melanie asked once the music cut off. Everyone shrugged their shoulders and looked around at one another. “Okay, whatever. We’re done -y’all can go change and stuff- I think we’ve worked hard enough. The first thing we’ll do this afternoon is go over those stunts.”

The girls nodded at their captain and slowly began to make their way out of the gym. Melanie caught up with Chasity, Iesha, and Rita.

“How was the concert, Melanie?” Rita asked.

“It was cool, I had fun. Musiq was off the chain,” she grinned, but it faded. “Man, I have to work tonight, Wednesday night, and probably Thursday night.”

“Damn,” Iesha sympathized. “Get that money though, girl.”

The girls walked into the locker room and began to shower and change their clothes. Melanie had just come out of the shower when she saw Joya quickly exiting.

“Hey,” she called to the swift girl.

Joya turned and looked at Melanie, “What.”

“Tell Nicole that she needs to come to practice…please,” Melanie gave a fake smile.

“Nicole has more important things to do than be here in the morning.” Joya rolled her eyes. “Her life isn’t centered around the team.”

Melanie rose her eyebrows, “Are you her secretary now? Taking her messages and relaying them to people are we?”

“Oh please, don’t start,” Joya waved her arm.

“No, wait,” Melanie called again and tightened her towel. “What is Nicole doing that’s so important? If it’s something stupid, she needs to come to practice, but if it’s something legitimate I’m cool with it. She should just let her captain know some things.”

“Well, this is one of those things that you can’t know.”

“Why not?”

Joya sighed, “Because she doesn’t want you to obviously. If she wanted you to know, she would’ve told you.”

“Well then there is no reason for her to be missing practice,” Melanie stated firmly.

“Yes, there is. She has a perfectly good reason.”

“Well, if that reason isn’t going to be shared with me, then I have no choice but to assume she’s doing something that she doesn’t need to be doing.”

“Whatever,” Joya gave up and made her way to the library.

Melanie shook her head and began to change into her uniform for school.

“What are you doing?” Chasity smirked as her friend put on her navy blue skirt.

Melanie looked at Chasity as if she were crazy, “Doing what you’re supposed to be doing- getting dressed. You don’t wanna be late to first.”

“Yeah, we have dance first period,” Chasity laughed at her friend’s sheepish face. “There’s no reason to change.”

“Duh,” Melanie slid off her skirt and stayed in the cotton shorts she’d practiced in.

“Oh my gosh, I have a late book to turn in! We still have ten minutes until the bell rings- wanna come with?”

“Yeah,” Melanie grinned as they began to leave the locker room. “Did you get some dick over the weekend?”

Chasity giggled like a school girl, “What would make you think that?”

“Like, hehe! You’re acting like soooo totally giddy, girlfriend! Ahah! Like Oh my God!” Melanie dropped her valley girl impression quickly. “It’s making me nauseous.”

Chasity threw her head back and laughed. “Actually, I did get some dick on Saturday and Sunday.”

“Oh! Watch out, big pimpin’ over here!” Melanie yelled and pointed to her friend.

Chasity laughed and pulled her friend’s hands down; passing the weird looks in the hallway nonchalantly. “Don’t hate.”

“I know, huh.”

“What?” Chasity asked, not expecting Melanie to say that.

“Well, since Justin and I have been fighting…”

“Oh!” Chasity drawled, “I see. Didn’t his mom walk in on you guys too?”

“Yeah…that was so embarrassing! She walks in and all she sees is his head between my legs!” Chasity laughed loudly at Melanie’s story as they walked up the stairs. “It’s not funny! I wanted to cry!”

“Oh well,” Chasity sighed, “She’ll get over it.”

The girls made it to the library just as the bell rang, so they walked quickly to the book return and Chasity dropped her book in the box. She then decided to talk to the librarian about her book and if she owed any money, so Melanie went to a nearby rack of books to kill time as she waited. As Chasity waited for the librarian to check her records, she looked around library and at all the people she saw filing out. Her eyes widened when she saw Justin and Nicole laughing as they gathered their things. Suddenly, Justin’s eyes met Chasity’s and his own widened. Then, with only his eyes, he pleaded for her not to say anything to Melanie. Chasity looked over at Melanie, whose back was turned to the whole situation and was reading the back of a book. Looking quickly at Justin and Nicole one more time, Chasity snatched the book from Melanie’s hand and began to push her out of the library.

“What the-“

“No time. Let’s just get out of here,” Chasity hurriedly said as she pushed Melanie further.

“Ouch,” Melanie whined and grunted as she struggled against Chasity’s pushiness.

Once they’d reached the bottom of the stairs, Melanie was glaring at Chasity, but she pretended not to notice.

Chasity let out a relieved breathe of air, “Well, let’s go to class shall we?”

“What the hell were you pushing me for?” Melanie yelled to Chasity’s retreating form.

She turned quickly and looked at her upset friend with a nervous smile, “Well you see…there’s this freshman girl who’s really annoying. She really wants to be on the team next year, and she tried to show me her moves, but she can’t dance for shit. Anyway, I have her in my second period, and she’s basically been stalking me. She’s always like, ‘Hey, girl! You’re gonna help me get on the team right?’. Anyway, she was in the library and I didn’t want her coming up to us buggin’,” Chasity shrugged, “Nothing big to be worried about.”

“Then why did you run out of there so fast?”

The girls entered the locker room again. “W-well because- I’m talking about you. Nothing for you to be worried about, girl!” She smiled through her paranoia. “I got this…yeah.”

Melanie widened her eyes and shook her head at her weird friend.

Break 10:15

Justin pushed through needless people to quickly get to his locker. He emptied his bag haphazardly and shoved the loose papers to the back of his messy locker. As he retrieved his next set of books, he felt someone stand next to him.

“Well, the oreo’s back,” Mark’s deep voice mocked.

Justin slammed his locker, “What the hell do you want?”

Mark grinned and shrugged his shoulders. “Just wanted to say hi. I’m surprised you decided to come back over to the lighter side.”

Justin shook his head and walked further into the familiar area where his social life at Calumet started. “What the fuck are you talking about? My locker’s over here.”

“Well, you haven’t paid it a visit in a while.”

“Yeah, well that’s because I’ve been putting my things in my car,” Justin stopped abruptly causing Mark, who’d been following him, to almost bump into him. “Where’s Trace?”

“He’s staying home-getting high. Why?” Mark chuckled.

“How do you know he’s getting high?”

Mark shook his head, “My friend. Have you forgotten who you used to hang out with? Of course he’s getting high- he’s a pot head, just like you.”

Justin rolled his eyes, began walking again, and said hi to a couple of girls that were standing around. “I’m not a pot head anymore.”

“Sure,” he bellowed, “That’s what they all say.” When Justin stopped at the vending machine, Mark began to massage Justin’s broad shoulders, but Justin shoved him away. “You look a little tense, buddy. You look like you haven’t took a hit in a while.”

Justin slammed the vending machine when it ate his dollar and turned to quickly face Mark. “Maybe I’m a little tense because you piss me off. Maybe I’m a little tense because I need to get to my coach’s office, and you’re slowing me down!”

“Oh so now I slow you down? You weren’t saying that before! Before you turned black! What happened to you man?”

Justin slightly shoved Mark. “Move,” he began to walk again.

“Who are you trying to fool, Justin? You’re not fooling me! You’re not fooling Trace either, man! We hear all the little gossip. I heard you got hammered one night and that bitch of yours-“

Justin lunged at Mark and shoved him into the lockers that were nearby. Grabbing his collar, he sneered at the boy’s pale, laughing face.

Mark continued to talk, despite Justin choking him. “I fucked Victoria last night. Good shit, man. Have you been getting any sweet black pussy lately?”

Justin pushed Mark into the lockers harder and choked him even more, “Shut up! You don’t fucking know me! Stay away from me.” With that, Justin let him down and began to stomp off.

Mark still called, however. “Just wait, ‘milky’! They’re all going to turn on you! When one of them gets pissed off at you, no matter how stupid the reason is, do you really think they’re going to listen to what you, the white boy has to say? They don’t respect you, Justin! They’re using you! That’s all you are- a gimmick! Look at our token white boy that can play ball! They’ll be nice to you, go out with you, but when they’re done with you…that’s it. You piss one of them off- you piss them all off and then it becomes a racist issue. They won’t care about the friendships you’ve made!”

Justin stopped in the middle of Mark’s speech to turn and look at him. He was still smiling when he was finished.

“We were the first ones you met, man!” Mark shook his head. “Now you want nothing to do with us? That’s fucked up…or shady as they say it.”

Justin stood still, saying nothing, and the bell rang, making him miss his appointment with the coach.

*
His stomach growled, and his confusion increased. His head hurt, and his paranoia had come back to him. His appendages ached, and his drowsiness became evident. Justin’s head was propped on his arms as he sat silently at the lunch table. Samuel was talking animatedly, as always, and the rest of his friends were listening with alert ears. Damien came and sat down next to Justin and said nothing at first, he just began to dig into his Subway sandwich. Justin grimaced, and turned his attention to the other side of the cafeteria- the lighter side.

His eyes fixated on the spot he used to sit in, the spot that was next to Victoria, the spot that separated the boys from the girls, the spot that Mark now occupied. Justin’s mind wondered how awkward it would be if he randomly rose and walked over to the other side of the cafeteria. Would they welcome him with open arms? Or would they ignore him as if he were some annoying pest? He digressed to the beginning of the year. He would be on the lighter side, looking at the dark side and wondering if they’d ignore him if he tried to be nice.

Now, he was one of them. Not physically, but he had been accepted because of his hobby. It wasn’t necessarily a bad thing all the time, but Mark’s words had found their way into Justin’s brain. His brain received the signal that someone was asking for his attention.

“What’s wrong with you today, milk?” Damien asked and looked at him, expecting an answer.

Justin stared at the idle piece of lettuce stuck to the side of Damien’s lip, and watched as it moved when Damien’s mouth moved. “Nothing,” Justin replied gravely.

“Are you sure? You look sort of depressed.”

Justin became sort of annoyed at Damien’s attempt to be sort of caring and sort of nice. “Just eat your fucking sandwich and leave me alone.”

Samuel’s lips had stopped moving, and everyone’s lips had stopped grinning. All eyes were on Justin.

Damien shook his head, “Why did you have to get an attitude like that, bro?”

Justin rolled his eyes and shook his head, “So now I’m your ‘bro’?”

Jerome interjected, “Calm down, Justin. He was just asking you a question.”

Justin ignored Jerome and rolled his eyes, “Don’t ever try to be civil to me after you’ve given me hell for so long. I don't like you and you don't like me, remember? You piss me the fuck off, so just leave me the hell alone. How dare you try to ask me how I feel! I was feeling fine, thank you, until you had to open your fucking mouth.”

Jerome tried to calm Justin’s anger, but it seemed as though Justin had cracked and his anger was seeping through.
“You’re such a fucking poser, you know that? You waltz around here like you’re running shit, but you’re not. You are not God’s gift to fucking mankind so get over it. I'm sick and tired of you trying to play these bullshit mind games with me. You don't know me. So, please pull your enormous head out of your ass and get a fucking grip before I have to get a got-damn grip on your fucking neck. Don’t say shit to me anymore. Don’t sit next to me anymore, either. Don’t even look at me. Leave me the hell alone.” Justin began to gather his things in order to leave. “You want to be the star player on the team, you can. You can have it. I’m done. Good luck carrying the team to the championship.”

*
I wasn’t at lunch went Justin exploded because Chasity and I decided to ditch fourth and go out to lunch. But, when we did get back to the school during 5th period, everyone was talking about Justin. Rumors travel fast around this school, and I hope that’s all it is. The student body is shocked that their favorite player has decided to suddenly quit the team when the championship game is only a few days away. Can he even do that? Coach Robinson just about had a cow at practice today, and I was equally surprised when Justin didn’t show. I for one, thought he was bluffing. This is Justin we’re talking about- he loves basketball too much to just quit the team because of one person. The boys were slow and unwilling during practice, Justin always had them laughing. Jerome looked like a loved one died.

The first thing coach said went he entered the gym without looking around was “Leroy and Justin, assists and fast breaks at one end of the court.”

When coach said that Leroy sighed sadly and shook his head, but didn’t reply. He and Justin were like Shaq and Kobe. Coach always gave them time to practice together, because they have good chemistry on the court. It’s like they know where the other is going to be without looking. When no one moved, coach stopped and looked around, still not noticing Justin’s absence. Everyone in the gym was quiet, and I tried to get the girls working, but they weren’t going to. Hell, I couldn’t even concentrate because I was so busy worried why Justin would do something like this.

Coach’s eyes finally squinted and his eyebrows furrowed, making the skin on his forehead fold.

“Did Justin come to school today?”

We all took a while to reply, debating whether or not we wanted to just lay it on him, or slowly let him know the truth.

But, Damien took a risk for all of us. “Uh, no, coach. He said he was really really sorry but he got sick and couldn’t make it.”

Coach nodded his head, “When did he tell you this?”

“Um, he called me last night and told me.”

“Well, that explains why he missed that appointment I had with him during break.”

“Yeah,” Damien said, even though neither he, nor any of us knew what the hell Coach was talking about. But, we were still happy Justin missed that appointment for whatever reason he did because if he didn’t, coach would’ve caught Damien in his lie.

It’s 5 o’ clock, and I’m going over to Justin’s house. We just got out of practice, and we’re all relieved. It was hell in there- tension was everywhere. Damien and Nicole are walking to his car. I’m going to go talk to Damien and ask him what the hell he said to Justin earlier today, because I have this gut feeling he pissed him off.

“Damien!” I called just as he was about to get into his car.

Nicole slid in anyway, and rolled her eyes. Bitch. I hope she knows he and I christened that back seat way before she came along. “What did you do to Justin?”

Damien shrugged his shoulders. “I didn’t do anything to him.”

“That’s bullshit, boy. You had to have said something- Justin wouldn’t just come at you foul for no reason.”

“First of all, how do you know it was me?”

Does he think I’m an idiot? “Because, nigga! You hate each other! Of course it was you! Besides,” I finished softly, “Iesha told me.” I wouldn’t just walk up to him with information without a confirmation from someone else.

“Well did Iesha tell you that he got all defensive on me for no reason?”

What? “No.”

“Exactly, that’s your problem, Melanie. You get gossip and not the whole story,” He said.

“Don’t fucking preach to me! I wasn’t there, okay? I want to know what happened.”

“Maybe you shouldn’t ditch.”

Oh God. Maybe he should let me shove my foot up his ass. “Are you going to tell me what happened or what?”

“All I did was ask him what was wrong. He looked all pale and pissed. I know he’s white, but damn. He was just staring off into space like he was going to kill somebody. He said nothing was wrong, but I asked him if he was sure-“

“That’s where you should’ve stopped, Damien. If he says nothing’s wrong, then leave him alone.”

Damien rolled his eyes, “Most of the time when people say there’s nothing wrong there is, and they want you to get it out of them.”

“Yes, that’s true. But, hell dumbass! Do you really think he’s going to tell you of all people what’s wrong?”

“Oh,” he looked at his shoes dumbly. “Well, that’s when he told me to ‘eat my fucking sandwich and leave him the hell alone’. I was like whoa, why you gotta get an attitude? Then he got even more defensive! His eyes were changing colors and shit…I think he’s possessed with something. Whose eyes change colors like that? Anyway, he kept going on and on about shit I don’t care about, and said he was quitting the team. He told me good luck carrying the team through the championship.”

I want to punch Damien in his face, but I won’t. I thanked him as politely as possible, and got in my car. I drove to Justin’s house, which looked like everyone was inside. I walked up to the door, and Lynn answered.

“Hey, Lynn, can I come in?” I asked.

She smiled warmly, “Oh sure honey,” and let me in. I waved to John and noticed she was looking outside. “Is Justin behind you?”

“No, I was going to ask you if he was here,” Oh crap.

Lynn looked alarmed- I would too if I didn’t know where my son was at. “No, the last time I saw him was this morning when he left for school. You didn’t see him at school today? Don’t you two have a class togethe


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki