Gray Dreams by Babymamma787


Number of reviews: 69
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Oh when you walk by every night
Talking sweet and looking fine
I get kinda hectic inside
Baby I’m so into you
Darling if you only knew
All the things that flow through my mind


Melanie’s eyes jolted open at the sound of the loud music that began to play at about 6 o’ clock that morning. She threw the blue covers on Justin’s bed off her quickly, only to find him twirling around the room and lip synching the words to the classic Mariah Carey song. She watched carefully as he, dressed in his boxers and a wife beater, cabbage patched around the room and began to sing into his gel bottle. Melanie began to laugh when he broke out into the running man. Once Justin had heard her laugh, he turned around, laughing himself, grabbed her hands and pulled her out of the bed. Justin grabbed her hands and twirled her around, so that they were spinning around as though they were little kids again. After the song ended, and after they ended their little party, Melanie threw herself on his bed.

“I’ve never seen you so happy in the morning.”

“Don’t get used to this,” Justin warned, “I was just happy I found this Mariah Carey CD.”

“So you felt the need to dance around like an idiot at six in the morning?” Melanie laughed.

“Man, you’re just hating,” Justin rolled his eyes and ran the gel through his hair.

Melanie guffawed, “On what?”

“Me, man! You’re just mad because you can’t dance like I can. I know you want me to be your choreographer. Why don’t you just admit it?” Justin boasted comically.

“Oh yes, Justin,” she played along sarcastically, “You’re the greatest. How can I ever achieve the amount of skill you have?”

Justin pointed his finger at her, “Even if you practiced everyday, young grasshopper, you would never be able to shake your tail feather like I do.”

“I must be cursed!” Melanie yelled melodramatically.

Justin turned slowly and walked over to his bed slowly. Mischief filled his blue orbs, and they pierced into Melanie’s brown ones. She grinned slowly as she watched her boyfriend begin to ridiculously saunter over. Justin grabbed her face, and straddled her waist.

“I know how to break your curse,” he suggested seductively.

“Oh yeah?” Melanie asked, leaning back onto the bed.

Just as Justin began to smother her with his kisses, Melanie’s favorite song came on. She began to dance under him and lip-synch the words.

You’ll always be apart of me
I’m apart of you indefinitely
Boy don’t you know you can’t escape me
Oh darling cause you’ll always be me baby
And we’ll linger on
Time can’t erase a feeling this strong
Oh boy you’re never gonna shake me
Oh darling cause you’ll always be my baby


“DOO DO DO DOW!” Justin yelled obnoxiously, causing Melanie to stop and stare at him like he was crazy.
They both laughed loudly and continued with their antics.

*
Justin walked into the library at about 7:05 and met Nicole at the same spot they had met yesterday. This time around, he wasn’t as paranoid as he began their session. He sat down in the seat slowly and pulled out his notebook.

“How are you?” Justin asked her, and tried to sound interested in what she had to say.

“I’m fine,” she replied stiffly.

Justin looked at her questioningly. “You don’t sound like it.”

“I am. How are you doing after your little incident? I mean you’re not really quitting the basketball team are you?”

Justin grinned, he figured he’d be hearing that question a lot during the day. “No, I changed my mind- I’m not going to quit.”

“Good,” Nicole suddenly became happy. “We need you on the team. You’re amazing.”

Justin inhaled and pushed the air out forcefully. “Thank you,” he said, “So how did you do on your homework last night?”

“Actually,” she started guiltily, “I didn’t do it. It’s too hard! I get it when you’re here, walking me through it, but by the time I get to class I blank out.”

Justin sighed and closed his eyes for a second. She was beginning to get on his nerves with her irresponsibility. “Well, when you were in class, why didn’t you ask the teacher to help you out? That’s what he’s there for.”

“I know.”

“Okay, get out your homework and let’s go over it,” Justin said with a bored undertone- he’d hoped to move on and not be stuck with what they were doing yesterday.

As Nicole searched for her homework, she made small talk with Justin. “Damien’s not mad at you, ya know.”

“Okay?” Justin shrugged his shoulders, not quite sure where this girl was going with her statement.

“I know you two don’t see eye to eye. But, after you said what you did to him yesterday, I think he looks at you with more respect,” she said. “Besides, he knows he needs you on that team. He even said one night that he didn’t like carrying the team last year and that he’s happy someone with equal talent came along.”

“First of all, we’re not supposed to be talking about this, but since we are, don’t you think that’s rude of him to think he carries the team?”

“No,” Nicole said nonchalantly. “The rest of the guys really did do well, but everyone recognized Damien.”

“Because he was putting himself out there in front of everyone else?”

“No, silly. Because people like him. I mean, that’s the only reason why Melanie said yes when he asked her out,” Nicole slowly began her dirty work, “She got with him because she was attention hungry. After she stopped being a cheerleader when she was a freshman, everyone thought she was this kind of, I don’t know…poser because she came off an all-white team, and all of a sudden wanted to be black again. We weren’t having that, so when Damien asked her out, she didn’t even have to think twice.”

“So how did the step squad come about?”

Nicole chuckled- she’d gotten him interested. “By the time Melanie was a sophomore, she was like the queen at Calumet- she knew a lot of seniors too. So, she decided to capitalize on her popularity and start a step squad. The reason why we only perform at basketball games is because when the team first started, Melanie wanted to be next to Damien, the guy who practically created her.”

Justin squinted his eyes at Nicole, silently contemplating if she was making shit up. But, he was still very much interested. “So how did she and Victoria become such enemies?”

“Because Melanie loves the attention. She wanted to completely distance herself, so that’s what she did. She took every shot to tear Victoria down. You know Melanie was the one who started their whole little fight. Melanie was co-captain of the squad, and Victoria was captain. Melanie just didn’t like being under her- she thought she was better, so she quit.”

Justin leaned back into the chair and tapped his fingers on the table. “So, if Melanie’s attention hungry, then why is she with me?”

Nicole laughed heartily, “Come on, Justin. Do you really need to ask that question? Let me ask you a question. Why do you think Melanie hung on to Damien so long?”

“I don’t kno-“

“Yeah, you do,” Nicole said forcefully. “She didn’t want to loose her popularity, Justin. But, you and Damien can barely share the same court! It was perfect! People would still talk about her if she dated her ex’s rival! It would be perfect for her. It was perfect timing when y’all got together, wasn’t it?”

“What do you mean?”

“I hear the rumors, Justin. You have this mysterious past about you and she only knows what it is. Y’all went to California, you treated her like the princess she wishes she was and you let her in a little.”

“What’s your point?” He forced with agitation.

“She’s using you, Justin. Dating popular people with drama is what keeps her name alive, and hopefully will keep the step squad going next year, even when she’s gone.” Nicole feigned empathy, “I’m sorry she blinded you like this. But I couldn’t bare watching you get hurt like this.” She quickly changed the subject, “So how do you do the parabolas again?”

Justin hesitated to get back into the math mode, and he barely did. Pretty soon, he couldn’t concentrate anymore. “Um, look,” he swallowed. “We’re going to have to continue this some other time, is that okay with you?”

“Sure,” she smiled, “Is anything wrong?” she asked, even though she knew the answer to her question.

“No, I’m fine.” Justin looked at his watch. “It’s only 7:15. I’m sure you can make practice. So, I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?”

“Alright,” Nicole concurred and sauntered off with a silly grin on her face.

*
Justin slowly walked through the hallways and kept to himself. As he walked by some people, they began to whisper to their friends when they saw him pass, and some even had the audacity to point at him as if he had some large object plastered through his head. Justin shook his head and rolled his eyes at everyone, and made a note to not loose his cool anymore, due to his popularity. Once Justin had past most of the onlookers, he saw Jerome opening his locker.

Justin slowly walked over, unsure if Jerome would talk to him. “Hey,” he offered shyly.

Jerome looked at him momentarily, no expression on his face, and returned to his locker.

“Look,” Justin sighed and shook his head, “How I acted yesterday was wrong. I shouldn’t have treated you like that, man and I’m sorry.”

Jerome slammed his locker shut. “It’s too late to say sorry, Justin.” Jerome had used his real name for the first time in a long time. “You just abandoned your whole team!”

“I’m not quitting, okay? I was upset, and that’s what came out. I plan on straightening things up with the coach today, okay?” Justin said.

“There’s no need to. Damien covered for you and said you were sick.”

“Oh,” was all Justin could say.

“I’m not mad at you, man.” Jerome grinned a little. “I can’t get mad at you- you’re too nice of a guy. But, you didn’t need to blow up on him like that.”

“Yes, I did. It felt good too,” he and Jerome began to walk the hallways. “I’m tired of his bullshit- it got to the point where I couldn’t even look at him anymore.”

“Hey, man. Fine, do what you have to do, I just don’t want to get into the middle of it,” Jerome put up his hands. “Why are you here so early, you usually don’t get here until right when the bell rings.”

“I’m tutoring Nicole-“

“Watch out,” Jerome warned and shook his head.

“Yeah, I know all the things that can go wrong, and I’m keeping my distance.”

“Does Melanie know?” Jerome grinned and looked at Justin from the corner of his eye.

“Yeah, I told her last night. I don’t think she’s 100 percent cool with it, but she trusts me,” Justin smiled as they came closer to the gym.

“Do you guys sleep together or something? Cause it seems like every time I call you, you’re at her house, or if I call her, she’s at your house. What the hell is that, milk?” Jerome asked.

Justin laughed and followed him into the boys’ locker room. He saw Jerome pull out a basketball, and asked if they were going to play a round of one on one. When Jerome nodded, Justin answered his question.

“Yeah, we spend the night at each other’s house,” Justin said nonchalantly.

“Every night?” Jerome asked, because it was hard for him to believe.

“Yeah,” Justin shrugged. “Well, over the weekend, we didn’t because we got in a fight.”

“But,” Jerome interjected, “Y’all hung out over the weekend didn’t you?”

“Yeah, we went to a concert. Why?”

“You’re in love, aren’t you?”

Justin’s eyes widened. “What? No. Why would you say something like that? Love is a strong thing.”

“Yeah, and you’re in it, milk! Just admit it! Oh my gosh!”

Justin threw his shoe at Jerome, and it missed by about an inch. “I’m not in love with her.”

“Well you’re thinking about it!”

Justin shook his head, “You’re so wrong.”

“What did I tell you about that, milk-man?” Jerome said and tied up his shoes, finishing with his wardrobe change. “I tell you all the time, ‘don’t get attached, boy!’ and what do you do? You’re sprung, man. Melanie is like a sister to me, man, but it’s senior year! Y’all can’t be getting serious, cause it’s just gonna end badly. You don’t know what school she’s going to, and you probably don’t know which one you want to go to yet. There’s no need in making commitments.”

“We haven’t made any commitments!” Justin, changed, whined and followed his friend out of the locker room and into the gymnasium.

*
Wednesday Afternoon

“Come on, babe! We’re going to be late!” I yelled out the window of my truck.

Why do girls stand around and talk at the worst times ever? Melanie’s talking to her friends like she hasn’t seen them in ages or something. Her mouth just keeps going faster and faster, and Chasity, Iesha, and Rita just keep eating that shit up.

I honked the horn. I’m about to leave her fine ass, if she doesn’t hurry up.

“OKAY! I’M COMING!” Melanie yelled back.

Oh no she didn’t just get an attitude. Especially when she knows that my dad is coming, and I need to be at the airport to pick him up in about an hour. Melanie began to jog over here, that’s right- let’s go, puddin’.

“Thanks for taking forever and a day.”

“Shut up, Justin,” She spat. “You’ll be at the stupid airport on time.”

Maybe I shouldn’t be egging her on like this. After all, she did start her period; at least that’s what she told me. I wonder if she said that shit to get out of sex? It’s not like I’m going to go down there and look, though. My dad is coming! I can’t believe this shit. My brothers and I cleaned the house before mom got home, that way we’ll be on her good side before she tries to curse us out tonight when she sees dad. Stephen’s holding down the fort right now. I went to he and John’s school right after I got out today, and was late to practice. I was actually planning on skipping practice today, but I had already done that once this week. I don’t need the Coach on my ass as well. Damien was quiet all of practice yesterday and today, as he should be. I kind of want him to say something to me though, just to see what will come out of that crusty mouth of his.

“I can drop you off at work if you want?” I said to Melanie, who was looking out the window.

I know she doesn’t me to, because she doesn’t want me knowing where she works. What the hell is that about? She said she’s not embarrassed about it because she loves her job, she just doesn’t want her friends showing up because they’ll be a distraction. She has a point, but still. It’s just me. But, I do know that she’s a waitress somewhere. I saw her little apron thing in her room.

“No, drop me off at home, please,” she said quietly.

Whatever. You know what? I’m tired of females and their little mood swings! I should be the one upset! I have gotten no ass whatsoever! Damn!

“Why are you so sad?” I asked, even though what I really wanted to say was “What the fuck crawled into your ass today?”

“Because, Justin,” she shook her head. “It’s just one of those things. Girl things, and I start to get irritated quickly.”

No shit. “Well maybe you shouldn’t go to work today. What if somebody pisses you off?”

“I have to go to work today, because I’m taking Friday, which is my regular day, off.”

Damn, having a job is confusing! “Oh.”

“Is it okay if I come by your house after work today?” She looked at me, “Or is it going to be to hectic.”

“Of course, there’s always room for you no matter how hectic it gets.” Work it, Justin.

She blushed and looked at me with a grin on her face, “I’m gonna hold you to that.”

“I’m getting nervous.” I have butterflies in my stomach.

“You should be nervous. Messing with other people’s feelings is a stressful things,” she smirked.

I’m not smirking. Does she think she’s funny? Besides, we’ve been over this before. “I don’t want to talk about it. I’m doing what I need to do, and I’d appreciate it if you showed me a little support.”

She sighed, “Fine. I still don’t think what you’re doing is right though,” she warned. “What if this all blows up in your face?”

“Trust, babe. Trust.”

Besides, what’s the worst that could happen?

*
Your dad is rich
And your mom is good lookin’


Justin walked through the terminal and then through the gate his father’s jet was supposed to be coming through. Looking around and noticing that no plane had come in yet, he slowly sank down into one of the blue leather seats that were strategically placed all over the terminal. He hated the squishy sound his butt made when it slid across the seat. A stewardess came to the desk at the gate and more people began to occupy the seats suddenly. The board above her clicked on, and it’s red numbers and markings were barely visible. The time was 6:41 and his dad’s plane would be landing at 6:52. To kill time, Justin decided to call Steven, who he told to have the phone next to him at all times.

“Steven,” he blurted when Steven came on the line.

“Yes?”

“I’m at the airport and dad should be coming in about ten minutes.”

“Okay,” Steven started slowly, “but there’s a bit of a problem.”

“What problem?”

“Robert’s here.”

“I thought mom said he wouldn’t be coming over!” Justin yelled, causing some people to stare at him, so he apologized for startling anyone.

“Well he’s here, and he’s comfortable. He said he’ll hang out for a while and then go home.”

“Where’s John?”

“Playing with Robert,” Steven replied.

“Get him away from him, that way he’ll leave faster. He’s in love with John. Then do whatever you can to get on his nerves or something,” Justin ordered.

“Okay.”

“Now, I’m going to call you back when we’re on our way, and I’m going to call you when we’re down the street. Robert better be gone by then, genius.”

“Okay, but quick question!” Steven frantically announced.

“What?”

“Where is dad going to sleep? What if mom doesn’t want her in his bed? You can’t kick me out again and make me sleep with John because dad isn’t going to want to sleep in my twin size bed.”

Steven was right, Justin concluded. “Well we have all night to persuade mom, we’ll play by ear for now. And if things don’t work out, he can always get a hot- he’s here. I’ll call you back.”

Justin stood, a smile forming involuntarily, and stretched out. He watched his father and Mike make their way out of the plane, through the large windows. Randall saw him looking and waved enthusiastically.

“I hope he doesn’t think Mike has enough room to be here,” Justin said to himself.

That was when Justin saw Gregory, Randall’s personal assistant, step out of the jet with baggage in his hand as well.

“Oh shit,” Justin whispered. “He so not staying at the house.”

Suddenly, Justin gasped and ran straight to the window. He couldn’t be seeing what he was seeing. He couldn’t be seeing more people step out of the plane- people that he knew, people that he loved. Deanna and JC shivered as they descended the large stairs and hit the cold Chicago afternoon breeze. Mike helped them with their bags, and then helped Kelice down the stairs as well.

Kelice.

Justin could see her complaining and shivering, even from the far distance he was. But, it was Kelice. All of a sudden, Joey came down from the stairs as well happily, but still cold. His shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops weren’t keeping him cold, and Justin couldn’t help but laugh. But, it wasn’t a laughing matter. How was he going to entertain all of them? He had school, and practice afterwards. He wouldn’t have ample time to hang out with them. He pushed his hands through his hair and sighed stressfully.

Their voices could soon be heard echoing off the walls of the hallway that connected the plane and the airport. When they got a glimpse of him, they all ran to him at once and Justin ran from them. Stopping after they’d followed him out of the gate, he laughed and gave Deanna a bear hug first.

“I haven’t seen you in forever!” She squealed.

“Two weeks,” He laughed. “But, I missed you too.”

Justin hugged and greeted everyone else, and they all started their way out of O’Hare International. Once they were outside, Justin looked around, expecting their limo to show up, but it didn’t.

“Where’s your car, dad?” Justin asked.

“Oh, I’m renting one later,” Randall said nonchalantly.

“You’re renting one?” Justin shrieked.

“Yeah? Is something wrong?”

“So…wait,” Justin was confused. Things were going too fast. “How are y’all getting…”

“Don’t you have a truck?” Deanna asked.

“Yeah, but-“

“But what?” Randall asked. “We can all ride in your truck. Besides, we all want to see your house.”

Justin was thankful he and Steven had spent all afternoon yesterday cleaning it. Justin shook his head slowly and reluctantly began to lead them to his truck. He spun his keys around on his finger nervously, and said nothing to anyone. He needed to call Steven.

“My luggage is getting heavy!” Kelice complained, “Could you have parked any further from the entrance?”

Justin took her Luis Vuitton luggage and rolled it the rest of the way to the car. “Why would you bring your whole closet, Kelice? That’s not smart.” Justin walked up to his truck and threw her luggage in the cab.

“Careful! You know how much that stuff is!”

“It’s not like you care,” Justin said truthfully. “Okay, listen up. There will be two in the front, three in the back. Put your luggage in the cab, and let’s go- I have things to do.”

Everyone silently obeyed Justin, for they could see he was getting grumpy. Before they were able to sit in the truck, Justin had to move he and Melanie’s things around in the car. Deanna sat in the front, between Justin and Kelice, while Randall, JC, and Joey sat next to each other in the back. Justin handed Joey some of his books and JC he and Melanie’s gym bags.

“Put those on your lap,” He said distractedly.

Finally, he eased into the front seat and started the truck, turning the radio up and tuning everyone out. The Roots’ “Break You Off” filled the truck, and everyone was silent. Justin’s cell phone began to ring Stevie Wonder’s “Isn’t She Lovely”, so he knew it was Melanie calling him.

“Aren’t you at work?”

Melanie giggled, “I’m on break right now. How’s everything going?”

“Bad. Very bad- and don’t say that you told me so!” Justin whined.

“But, I did,” his girlfriend laughed.

“I know! Just don’t say it. I’m going to have everything under control.”

“What’s going on? What’s so bad?”

Deanna interrupted Justin’s conversation. “Who are you talking to, Justin?”

“Is that Deanna?” Melanie asked, and suddenly with a pause for realization she knew what ‘bad’ Justin had been referring to.

Justin held the phone up, “Everyone say hi to Melanie.”

Melanie listened to the chorus of greetings and shook her head. She yelled hi back, but Justin had already put the phone back to his ear.

“Ow,” he said gravely.

“Sorry,” she laughed. “So what are you going to do?”

“I don’t know, babe. I have to call Steven too. I’m going to be so stressed out by Friday, so I’m gonna need some lovin’ in between,” He snickered

“Justin, shut up. Maybe if you didn’t think about sex so much, you wouldn’t be frustrated.”

“But, babe. You’re depriving me of my needs,” he whined.

“Fuck you and your needs,” she laughed.

“Whatever, Melanie. See? That’s why…ugh nevermind,” Justin gave up.

“That’s why what?”

Justin laughed, “I was going to say something, but I forgot.”

“You were trying to clown on me, huh? You can’t clown on me, know why?”

“Why?” He rolled his eyes.

“Cause I’m a pimp!”

Justin laughed loudly, “Yeah. And then you woke up.”

“You’re just a hater, Justin,” Melanie laughed, “But it’s okay that you’re so jealous. It’s kinda sexy.”

“Oh yeah,” Justin said huskily.

“Yeah,” she giggled.

“I would start talking dirty, but there are others in the car.” He received an awkward look from Deanna.

“Why did they come? I mean, why would they come without telling you and thinking further than getting on a plane and coming out here? Maybe they wanted to surprise you or whatever, but still. It seems kind of weird to me- don’t they have school?”

“They can get away with it and I’m sure they don’t mean any harm.”

“But, it still kind of messes things up,” Melanie said. “It’s not like you can just leave school to hang out with them. Don’t get me wrong, I like them and everything but it…”

“It’s just not a good time, I know,” and Justin was thankful everyone could only hear what he was saying. “Oh shit!”

“What?”

“I have to get up early tomorrow to tutor your friend,” Justin groaned.

“Justin Randall Timberlake, don’t you ever use the word ‘friend’ when referring to Nicole,” Melanie said firmly, but jokingly at the same time somehow.

“Well Melanie Joy Thomas, what do you want me to call her?”

“Slut, ho, bitch, backstabber…you know, stuff like that,” Melanie said nonchalantly.

“You’re so evil. You need to go to church.”

“At least I don’t lie and say I do got to church when I don’t, fart face!”

“Ouch. Fart Face…that stung,” Justin said with sarcasm.

“Whatever, Justin. I hope you and your friends have a good time,” Melanie rolled her eyes, “I need to get back to work though, and you’re wasting my minutes.”

“Psh. I waste nothing. Be happy you get to talk to someone as marvelous as me,” Justin said with fake conceit.

Melanie sighed, “Okay. Good luck, baby.”

Justin smiled slightly, “Thanks. I’ll see you later, sweetie.”

Melanie made a kissing noise on the phone and hung up, while Justin did the same. He then turned the radio back up and continued to drive without talking, but Deanna turned it down.

“Why are you so quiet?”

“I’m thinking right now,” He said and turned to get on the expressway.

Kelice made a disapproving noise, “You weren’t so quiet when you were talking to her.”

“That’s because it was Melanie, and she’s my baby.” He smiled with fake pleasantry.

“Somebody gag me now,” Kelice groaned.

“Kelice,” Justin started angrily, “I will throw your ass out of this car and leave you on the side of the road and you will hitch hike back to California. I’ll take the luggage too, so don’t start.”

“Hey!” Randall intervened. “You won’t be throwing anyone out of this car, young man. We’re all supposed to be happy to visit okay?”

Deanna sighed, “So when is your game, Justin?”

“Friday.”

Joey leaned forward, “We got here kinda early.”

“Yes,” Justin nodded without emotion, “yes, you did.”

“Well,” JC said, “Danielle, Lance, and Jared are coming on Friday.”

Justin shook his head and rolled his eyes. Deanna saw his gesture and gave him a disapproving stare. “What’s wrong with you?” she asked.

“Nothing, I didn’t think all of you guys were coming, that’s all. I have things to do, and I don’t want to hear you guys complain when I barely see you.”

“How do you know we’re going to start complaining?” Deanna asked, clearly offended.

However, Justin didn’t seem to notice as he let out a sarcastic laugh and let it float over the music in the car. He didn’t answer her question, and just continued to drive. After they had driven for another 10 minutes in tension, Justin decided to call Steven because he had just passed Calumet, meaning he was close to home.

“Justin?” Steven asked right away.

“Hey! Good news?” Justin hoped.

“Good news. Robert just left. I brought up dad-“

“You didn’t tell mom what we were up to, did you?” Justin frantically asked.

“No, of course not. I just kind of made him feel like crap. I started ‘reminiscing’ about the good times at the Timberlake mansion,” Steven said comically.

Justin beamed a wide smile and waved a hand in the air happily, “Yes! I love you.”

“Ew! Just come home okay, and tell me how disgustingly cool I am and how much you wish you were this cool, later.”

“Whatever, asshole. See you in 5,” Justin hung up the phone and sighed with content. Finally, he pulled into the driveway and parked next to his mother’s Lexus, happy that Robert’s blue Suburban wasn’t in his parking spot.

“Okay,” Justin announced as he pulled his keys out of the ignition. “Let me warn you and squash any assumptions you have right now. As you can see, this is not a mansion- this isn’t even a two-story house, so get out of whatever preconception you have. It has four bedrooms, and that’s it, meaning y’all will be checking into a hotel tonight cause there ain’t no room here. The only one who I knew about coming is my dad, so he gets to stay if everything goes well.”

“And if it doesn’t? JC asked.

“Well, he’ll be at the hotel with you guys. Now, please be polite, and don’t be loud. My mother is probably tired, so be considerate. Also, please be aware that she has no clue of what’s really about to go down,” Justin took a deep breath.

“You sound like a tour guide,” Joey laughed, as did Justin.

They all filed out of his truck then, and Randall trailed behind everyone in order to prepare his thoughts. He really had no clue of what he was going to say to his wife when he saw her, so he’d planned to just go with the flow.

Justin threw open the door and announced he was home. Soon, Steven came running out of the hallway. He happily greeted everyone by the door, and squeezed his father as tight as he could. Justin could’ve sworn he saw tears in his little brother’s eyes.

“Where’s mom?” He asked.

“In her bedroom,” Steven asked still attached to his father.

“Make yourselves comfortable,” Justin said to his friends and walked down the hallway to his mother’s room. When he knocked on the door and she allowed him in, he noticed that she’d just changed into her nightclothes.

“Your friends from school are here?” Lynn asked, and turned back the covers on her bed. “Is that why you missed dinner?”

Justin blew air out of his mouth nervously, “No, I went to the airport.”

“What?” Lynn shook her head and sat on the bed.

“I need you to come out- some people are here to see you.”

“Justin,” she whined, “I’m tired! I had a busy day at work, and I’m ready to go to bed.”

Justin ran over to her and got on his knees. Clasping his hands together, he begged, “Please, mommy? I promise you can go to bed right after.” He stuck his bottom lip out and batted his eyelashes.

Lynn laughed and nodded her head, “Give me my robe.”
Minutes later, Justin and Lynn walked down the hallway and into the living room where everyone was seated watching TV. Steven’s eyes connected with Justin, sending him a horrified look. Justin then looked at his mother, who looked as though she was ready to throw something against a wall, so Justin quickly took a step away from her.

“What is going on?” She said quietly, and her voice was filled with shock. The room was quiet, so she spoke again. “You have explaining to do, Justin! Right now.”

Justin hurriedly walked behind the couch and desperately searched for words. “Well, uh…you see what had happened was um,” He paused and looked at his mother, who was looking at him skeptically. “Okay, so one day I was like-“

“Justin!” Steven yelled and stood up. “Just tell the truth, man!” He suddenly paused and slowly nodded his head. “Oh, that’s right. You’re not capable of that.” Steven slowly turned to face his mother and clasped his hands together. “You see, mommy dearest-“

Randall put a hand on Steven’s shoulder and rose from the couch. “I came to watch Justin play, Lynn. We all did.”

“That’s nice, Randall. Finally you decide to put interest in your son, and look!” She exclaimed sarcastically. “You’re early and you even brought his friends! What else are you going to do to win him over, huh? What exactly did you say to my son while he was in California? It must’ve been really good if he’s pulling shit like this!”

Justin buried his face in his face in his hands and shook his head, for his whole plan was slowly crumbling.

Randall put his hands out. “Lynn, you’re blowing things way out of proportion.”

“What?” she yelled.

“I’m here for my son. He asked me to come, and I said yes. I’m trying to be here for him, okay? For once, I’m trying to make it right, so can you at least give me a little credit for that?” Randall pleaded.

Lynn stared at him contemptuously for a second and then noticed that there were others in the room, who were looking pretty scared. So, she instantly put a smile on her face and outstretched her arms.

“Kelice,” she smiled.

Kelice nervously smiled and waved to her shyly, “Hey, Mrs. T.”

“Oh, come here! You get prettier and prettier everyday!”

Deanna laughed and Justin furrowed his eyebrows. He wondered why she would say something like that. Lynn continued to hug everyone, and chitchat with him or her, but Justin decided to excuse himself. He found a spot on the porch, and decided to plop down on the ground. His mother had definitely changed, and it baffled him completely. The last time Randall showed up, Valentine’s Day, she was a little uneasy, but she welcomed him and was courteous…he hated it. But then, Justin went back to California for Spring Break, his father had changed, and now he could stand him again, but his mothers seems as though she hates him. Justin concluded that the only reason things had drastically changed was because of Robert. Robert came along and showed her she’d been missing out, and Justin hated it. The front door opened and out walked Deanna. She slowly made her way over to where he was plopped down next to him.

“Is it always this cold?” She asked.

“No, it’s been warming up lately,” Justin said distractedly.

“Wow, this is warm?” She chuckled.

Justin chuckled as well, and nodded. “I’m afraid so.”

Deanna looked around at all of the other houses on the block, “You actually have neighbors now, how cute.”

Justin laughed, “Yeah, not the only house on the hill.”

Deanna touched his arm, “Hey, we’re sorry for intruding like this.”

“It’s fine. I know you guys mean well, I just feel bad that I won’t have time to hang out with you guys, or show you around. You guys are going to be bored until I get back, and by then, I’ll be too-“

“Calm down, Justin.” Deanna laughed, “We’ll find something to do. Besides, on the way over, we were researching stuff to do.”

“Oh,” Justin shrugged, “well, that’s cool.”

“You never used to be so stressed out,” she observed.

“Yeah, well I have a lot on my plate right now.”

“Like what? The people at your school that you said were bugging you?”

Justin nodded slowly, and scratched his head. “Yeah, and then there’s pressure of the game, my grades…a lot of things,” Justin looked at his watch. “Melanie should be pulled up in about 30 minutes.”

“Yay!” Deanna smiled, “I missed her.”

*
Justin jumped went he felt a hand squeeze his butt. JC, Joey, and Deanna all laughed when they saw Melanie standing behind Justin, and laughing. Justin turned around quickly and enveloped her in a hug.

“Finally,” he mumbled.

Melanie laughed and patted his stomach, “How are you holding up?”

“I’m just fine now,” He grinned at her.

Melanie blushed and rolled her eyes before making his way over to his friends. As she hugged JC, she saw Kelice quietly sitting on the couch and filing her nails. Her smile faded and she started at the girl who pretended to act like she was indifferent.

“Hi Kelice,” Melanie greeted without happiness.

Kelice looked up from her nails with a shocked look on her face, as though she was surprised Melanie was talking to her. “Oh, hello.”

“So, what are you doing here?” Melanie crossed her arms over her chest.

“What do you think I’m doing here? I came to see Justin play basketball,” she said and rolled her eyes.

“Well, I just want to you understand that you’re in my city now, and that I’m not going to take any of your shit, okay?” Melanie smiled a fake smile.

Kelice rolled her eyes.

PART TWO
Thursday


Comin’ to break you off
Said I’m comin’ to you off…


The tile wall thrust chills down her spine just as her back was pressed against it. However, the heat being exchanged between them buffered the contrast. She leaned her head back and let his lips devour her neck. Her mouth opened longingly and she bit her lip just the same as he lifted her off the ground, letting her body graze against the warmth in his pants. Chocolate arms and legs wrapped around a cream colored body, and their red lips danced with each other. He moaned into her, and she found herself against the wall again. His hips swiveled against her and he grunted huskily into her chest while his lips made their way down her low cut shirt. Her hands tangled themselves in his long, unruly hair and she was pulled from the wall again and placed down atop the marble counter.

Baby, baby, baby…don’t you worry about
Nothing ‘cause I’m coming to, handle you no doubt
Whenever you want, that thing you need, I got it
I’m there and I aim to please
I’m coming over to give it to you
Baby...


His long, skinny fingers slowly slid through her hair, massaging her head as they did so. Slowly her eyes shut and she was biting her lip again, only to find him licking it and biting it on his own. The same long, skinny fingers that were once in her hair, slid down her neck, shoulders, and down to her breasts. The fingers grasped, squeezed gently, and undid the clasps located at the back of her bra, squeezing and rubbing her breasts once more. Her own fingers traveled under his shirt and massaged the warm skin beneath the clothing. Light hair under his navel grazed her fingers and she followed the trail down to the top of his shorts, and she pulled him by his waistband further between her legs. His hands had too found the top of her shorts and had undone the drawstring on her red, short shorts that had been teasing him all afternoon as he watched her saunter around in them.
The bathroom door vibrated harshly in its frame, as someone on the other side was banging on it vehemently.

“What are you guys doing in there?” Kelice yelled, “It’s time to go!”

Melanie and Justin’s lips finally parted when Kelice had beckoned them. Melanie pressed her swollen lips together and quickly jumped off of the counter in hopes to run after Kelice and trample her, but Justin pulled her backwards and positioned her so that her backside was resting right over his crotch. He slowly encircled her in his arms, his hands rubbing her lower body as he did so. Melanie grinned lazily, her lower body yearning to feel him inside of her, but instead she was feeling his lips on her neck at the moment-and that would do.

Justin squeezed her lower ear between his lips and said, “We’d better go. I don’t want one of them coming over here again.”

When she’d felt Justin grab her ass, she turned around and playfully hit him in the stomach before exiting the lavish bathroom that was located in the hotel. Melanie turned the corner in the room, and saw everyone lounging around, watching large TV that was resting in the corner of the room. Saying nothing to any of them, she made her way to large glass window and looked out at the Chicago skyline. Never had she seen downtown look so glamorous, but she was standing in a glamorous five star hotel, so it made everything around it look glamorous as well, she presumed. Justin came into the room, “Why aren’t you guys dressed yet?” He said loudly.

Joey turned his eyes from the television. “We have about an hour and half until it’s even time to go, Justin.”

Justin, Melanie, Deanna, JC, Joey, Kelice, Lynn, Randall, and Steven and John were all going out to dinner. Dinner was on Randall to celebrate Justin’s success on the basketball team. After Randall had found out that neither Melanie, nor Justin had practice since the big game was a day away, he immediately made reservations for Castaway’s, a restaurant right on the shore of Lake Michigan.

“Melanie,” he sang.

Melanie turned from the window and smiled at him. “No, Justin,” she said knowing what he wanted.

“I wasn’t even talking about that,” he lied. “I need you to braid my hair.”

Melanie plopped down next to Deanna, who was sitting quietly on the couch and watching TV. “I don’t feel like it.”

Justin waved his hands in the air, and tousled his hair. “So you’re gonna let me play tomorrow with all my roots showing and shit?”

Melanie laughed, and so did Deanna. “I’ll braid it, cry baby. I’m not going to finish it in time for dinner though. Did you bring a rag?”

“Of course,” Justin smiled and ran into Deanna’s room to pull out the things that Melanie would need.

While Justin had disappeared momentarily, JC, Joey, Deanna, Melanie, and Kelice began to talk amongst themselves.

“Y’all,” Melanie said, “What kind of suite is this? I always knew the Hyatt was cool, but damn!”

Deanna chuckled, “It’s the Park Suite.”

“Yeah,” Joey said, “You should see Mr. T’s room- he has the presidential! It’s HUGE.”

JC nodded his head, “We have to settle for the Park Suites this time because more people are coming, so we need the extra rooms.”

Settle? Melanie scoffed just thinking about how she would never be able to stay a couple of days in a suite at a luxury hotel such as the Hyatt. Randall’s room was above everyone else’s and from what they said, he, his bodyguard, and his assistant were staying in there. Deanna, Kelice, were staying in one suite, and Joey and JC were staying in another. Each suite had three rooms in them, all of them decorated magnificently. The bed sheets had vibrant colors all over them, and the furniture and accessories around the room were different shades of brown, so it made the large beds stand out. The living room was earth toned, with the exception of the rugs that had wild coloring as well. There was a bar next to the dining area as well.

Justin came into the room with gel, rubberbands, and a rat-tail comb balanced in his hands. Happily he plopped down on the floor and sat between Melanie’s legs. With a sigh, she began to part his hair and get started on his braids.

JC winced, “Doesn’t that hurt, Justin?”

“Not anymore. It used to, though. But, she was pulling my hair on purpose,” Justin said and began to play with her toes.

“I was not!” She looked up and JC and protested, then she proceeded to tap Justin’s neck with the comb, “and stop playing with my toes.”

Justin slapped her foot, “No.”

“Did you just slap my foot?” Melanie leaned over.

“Shh,” Justin motioned, “just do my hair.”

Deanna laughed loudly at the couple’s antics, as did everyone else…except for Kelice. Instead, she stared at the two conspicuously, secretly wishing that she was the one to touch Justin the way Melanie did.

“I’m going to go get dressed,” Kelice suddenly announced, and stood from the couch.

Joey laughed, “We have another hour until time to leave…chill.”

“No,” Kelice said as though she was offended that anyone would tell her to do such a thing. “Beauty like mine takes time to achieve.”

With that, she disappeared into the bathroom, and left everyone else snickering.

“I don’t think she’s achieved beauty just yet,” Deana mumbled.

Melanie looked up from Justin’s head and to her. “Okay!” she agreed, “Especially not with that wannabe Beyonce weave in her hair.”

They all laughed again.

*
Everyone was standing outside waiting on Lynn, John, and Steven to show up at the restaurant. Justin was dressed in all black, a black dress shirt with match pants, and JC and Joey had the same style of dress, except with different color, while Randall was decked out in a suit. Deanna had a simple black dress with ruffles at the bottom, while Kelice was clad in a short, figure flattering, red dress with matching stiletto heels.

Melanie and Justin were standing away from each other, and were cuddled up in their own little world.

Justin, with his arms wrapped securely around her, kissed her forehead and said softly, “You look good, babe.”

Melanie smirked and looked down at her suit, “I’m the only girl not wearing a dress.”

“And that’s what makes it cool, you’re wearing a suit and some stilettoes- you look like a business woman. I fine business woman too, cause it’s not like the suit isn’t flattering.”

Melanie looked up at him and smiled. She and Chasity had gone shopping over the weekend, and when Melanie saw the cute, girly, pinstriped suite, she had to have it. “Well thank you, you don’t look so bad yourself.”

“I’m glad you finished my hair,” he said matter of factly.

Melanie laughed, “That would’ve sucked if you had to wear a rag.”

“That wouldn’t have happened because I would’ve had everyone wait until you finished.”

Melanie rolled her eyes, “You’re such a diva.”

Justin remained silent and pulled her closer. The two of them looked out to the lake that sat so peacefully. The restaurant, Castaways, was right on the shores of Lake Michigan, and provided the serene scenery. The wind blew swiftly, but not forcefully and Melanie shivered against Justin’s chest.

“My mother needs to bring her ass on,” he said lowly. “I’m cold and hungry.”

Melanie chuckled at his unhappiness and turned her head in another direction so that she looked across to the city. She’d never seen Downtown Chicago so beautifully before and she’d lived there her whole life. Melanie concluded that it was because she was around rich people. After all, Chicago had never seemed so beautiful until she was towering over it, and looking down at the vivacious city from an expensive hotel suite. Jazzy tunes could be heard, due to the speakers that were strategically placed around the entrance of the restaurant. Justin began to sway the two of them to the music slowly, and grabbed her hand and put his on her lower back. Melanie grinned and closed her eyes, letting the feeling of pure giddiness and romanticism take over her. The two twirled to the music very slowly. Another song came on, and Melanie gasped, recognizing that her favorite artist, Brian McKnight, sang the song that was suddenly turned into a jazzy instrumental. ‘Anytime’ was being played through a sexy saxophone.

“I love this song,” Melanie said dreamily.

“You love any song by Brian McKnight,” Justin said softly.

“I know,” she giggled, “That’s what makes it so cool.”

“Well what’s your favorite song by him?”

“Hmm…” she pondered, “that’s hard. There are so many, but probably ‘Biggest Part Of Me’ and ‘One Last Cry’.

“Good ones,” Justin commended, “Mine would have to be ‘Love of My Life’ and ‘Where Do We Go From Here’.”

Melanie grinned as she played those songs shortly in her mind. “Remember the time we saw him at the House of Blues?”

“Yeah,” he said fondly, “That was our first little date I guess you could say. We weren’t together then exclusively, but we were creepin’,” he laughed.

“I had fun that night,” she smiled.

“I know you did. The man was totally singing to you.”

Melanie chuckled, “That’s because I’m so cool.”

Justin laughed, “Whatever, babe. You’re so full of yourself it’s cute.”

“I am not full of myself,” Melanie looked up at him and pouted.

Justin kissed her quickly on the lips and grinned at her. He looked up from Melanie and saw his mother and two younger brothers making their way over.

“Finally,” Justin whispered, but kept Melanie in his embrace.
John and Steven were dressed in slacks and shirts as well, and Lynn looked young in a spaghetti-strapped black dress that didn’t quite make it to her knees.

“Why is she dressed like she’s going to a club?” Justin whispered into Melanie’s ear.

Melanie bit her lip to hold back the laughter. She shushed him quietly instead. Everyone began to file in together, and Justin stood behind Melanie, wrapping his arms around her waist and the two waddled through the door together. They were stopped in the foyer of the restaurant, and Randall was telling the hostess the name of his party. As everyone waited, Justin propped his head on Melanie’s shoulder and began kissing her neck.

“We’re in public,” she whispered and Justin whimpered.
Joey turned around with a big grin on his face and stopped Justin from kissing Melanie’s neck. “Hey, Justin,” he said lowly but excitedly.

“What?”

“Your mom is such a MILF right now,” he laughed.

“Shut up, dude. That’s fucking sick,” Justin hissed.

JC heard Joey’s remark and turned to flash Justin a thumbs up. Justin flashed JC his middle finger, which made him turn back around and resume holding Deanna’s hand. As he saw JC and Deanna interact, the pang of disgust came back to him. His two best friends being together irked his nerves. And then he looked at Joey and Kelice, who weren’t attached to anyone. Joey, being the player that he was, saw no need. Kelice, however, looked lonely. Justin felt bad that she had put that much into her outfit, but she would impress no one.

“Can we add another person to our party, please?” Lynn asked Randall.

“Yeah, sure,” Randall nodded and the hostess didn’t have a problem with it.

“Okay,” Lynn smiled, and turned to look out the glass door. “Because, Robert’s parking the car. He’s on his way in.”

Melanie breathed quickly for air when Justin suddenly tightened his grip around her stomach. Slowly he let go, and slowly he stood, while his jaw line slowly tightened.

“Who’s Robert?” Randall asked, curious and oblivious to everything.

Justin flashed Steven a paranoid look and Steven shrugged his shoulders.

“A guy I’m seeing,” Lynn said nonchalantly.

Randall shoved his hands in his pockets, rose his eyebrows and pushed his weight to the heals of his feet, so that he sort of rocked back and forth. He nodded his head and then quickly averted his eyes from Lynn and turned his head the other way. Everyone could tell he’d just been crushed, but decided not to say anything. Robert walked into the tension filled foyer, joyously and began to introduce himself to everyone.

“Mother,” Justin blurted.

Lynn turned and looked at Justin with a smile on her face, but it wasn’t returned. “Yes?”

“Come, have a word we me outside,” Justin said imperatively.

Melanie could see the fire burning inside of him, and decided to wait in the foyer for him when he came storming back in, so that she could cool him off.

The breeze hit Lynn and Justin hard, and Justin’s gaze hit his mother just as hard. However, she chose to ignore it.

“I like your hair. Did Melanie do it?”

Justin cut right to the chase, “What the hell are you bringing Robert around for?”

Lynn appeared to be taken aback by his inquiry, but she knew it was coming. “Don’t talk to me like that, Justin. I’m your mother.”

“Why is Robert here, mother?”

“Because I invited him,” Lynn said curtly.

“You can’t just invite someone when you yourself were invited!” Justin yelled.

“Why not?” She rose her voice as well. “He’s my boyfriend!”

“Dad’s your HUSBAND!”

“Who cheated on me with every woman in his firm! Yes, I know, Justin! We’ve gone over this a thousand times!”

“Well now there’s a different plan that we’ll have to go over. Dad has changed, mom and…”

“He still seems like the same man he was when I left his sorry ass,” Lynn rolled her eyes.

“You haven’t even talked to him!”

“Oh, Justin. Cut the shit. I’ve moved on, and I’m over your father. It’s time for you to stop being so naïve. He hasn’t changed, Justin. You were the one who wanted us to break up!”

“Yeah, and now I want you to get back together.”

Lynn scoffed, “Do you think I’m going to live my love life how you want me to? Oh please.”

With that she began her stride back into the fancy restaurant and Justin followed her inside. He stopped when he saw Melanie sitting on a bench by the window and staring at him. He sighed and scratched his head sheepishly. Melanie gave him a sideways grin that lacked enthusiasm. She rose from her spot on the bench, and Justin watched her make her way over to him. When Melanie reached him, she wrapped her arms around his waist, and without saying a word, led them inside the restaurant.

&&&

“So, Justin,” Robert slid his tongue over his teeth and made a sucking noise. Justin hated that noise, because he wasn’t taught to do that while eating. “Are you excited about tomorrow’s game?”

“No,” Justin replied dryly and looked down at his shrimp. “I could care less,” he said sarcastically and gave him the that-was-a-stupid-question look.

Everyone at the table was silent before the food arrived, and Joey started a conversation about one of his cars when the food finally did arrive. The conversation fizzled, and they found themselves sitting and staring at their food.

“Well,” Deanna sighed, “I’m excited to see you play.”

“I’m glad,” Justin smiled.

“So Melanie,” Kelice started and folded her hands under her chin, her elbows were propped on the table, another thing Justin noticed that shouldn’t be done at a dinner table. Melanie stared at her intently, waiting on Kelice to slip up slightly. “How do you come in?”

“Come into what?” Melanie threw back with sass.

“The whole basketball thing. Are you like a groupie…”

“No,” Melanie said forcefully, fighting back the urge to call her a bitch. “I’m a dancer, and that’s what I do at the games.”

Kelice laughed mockingly, “You’re a cheerleader.”

“No, I’m a dancer. Did you not hear what I said? I do drill, stomp, and dance with 29 other girls on my team.”

“Oh,” Kelice feigned interest. “That’s cute.”

Melanie squinted her eyes at Kelice, and grabbed the knife that was next to her plate. Justin gasped, laughed, and pushed her hand back down on the table. He smiled and patted it, hoping to calm Melanie down.

“So where do you like playing ball better, Justin?” Randall asked.

Justin furrowed his eyebrows and pondered his father’s question. “Here,” he finally said, and Melanie smiled.

“Why here?” Kelice asked as though that was such a damnable thing to do.

“Because it’s more real here. Those guys at Hillside only got on the team because they’re tall. They have no talent.”

“You guys won championships though,” JC said.

“Yeah, but I was doing the most work and I say that in the most humbled way possible. I carried that team, and you know it, because when the coach would put me out, our score would go lower. The guys here are…freaking amazing,” Justin was happy to say proudly. “Really, every single one of them can play real ball.”

Kelice rolled her eyes, “Basketball is basketball, Justin.”

Justin rolled his eyes and put down his fork. “There’s a difference between playing basketball for some rich prep school, and playing for an urban public school.”

Kelice laughed sarcastically. “What, the ratio of white to black people?”

Justin feigned hearty laughter, but his smile disappeared abruptly. “No, that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about basketball, not color. When you play basketball in an urban community, it’s more than just putting a ball into a hoop. You have to earn respect around your neighborhood before people start taking you seriously. Anyone you play should make you paranoid because you don’t know what the guy will do to win. In Beverly Hills, you go to the park, ask to play, and they let you. There’s no heart involved, no passion, it’s just seen as something to kill time.”

Deanna nodded her head, “I see what you’re saying, and I was trying to take you down to where I grew up so that you could get a real taste of street ball.”

Randall waved his fork, “Now, now, now. What kind of ‘ball’ are you guys talking about? The kind in Compton where guys fight over a game?”

“Basically,” Justin said nonchalantly. “Deanna, I was scared of it then. I had been so sheltered in a gated community, and I wasn’t ready for that. But, coming out here, it’s like everything is urban, and it’s not a bad thing. It’s fun- I learned a lot.”

Melanie couldn’t hide the huge grin that lit up her face. She stared at Kelice with a sense of triumph and she felt as though she had won over her finally. Finally, she felt that Justin had really begun to change for the better. It was then that she noticed he wasn’t looking at things as materialistic anymore. Sure, he still wanted shoes that had spreewells in them, but he realized that the shoe didn’t make the basketball player.

“So has anything exciting happened?” Joey asked.

“Yeah,” Justin nodded, “Everyday at that damn school, man,” he and Melanie laughed.

“How are your grades?” Randall asked.

“They’re okay,” Justin said softly.

Randall rose his eyebrows and leaned forward. “Just okay? You know that okay is not acceptable, Justin.”

Justin rolled his eyes and looked at his father, “I don’t need a lecture.”

“I’m not trying to give you a lecture, Justin, I wouldn’t do that at dinner. But, I am curious.”

Lynn groaned, “Don’t worry about it. He’s doing fine.”

“We’ve already established that our definitions of ‘fine’ for our sons are totally different.”

“Dammit, Randall,” Lynn said lowly and stared at him from across the table. “When are you going to realize that our sons don’t have to grow up and be lawyers? I used to want that for them- to get a degree in something like business or become doctors, but we can’t make them do that.”

“What are you getting in school, son?” Randall asked Justin firmly.

Justin made a face, but Randall couldn’t see it because Justin’s head was bowed. “Umm…I have 4 A’s, a B, and a C.”

Randall shook his head, clearly dissatisfied. Melanie was confused, so she looked at Justin and her heart broke. His face harbored a look of defeat, he looked as though he had failed.

“Why do you have a C? Are you taking honors classes?”

“I have a C because I failed a test. And yes, I’m taking honors classes.”

“What class do you have a C in?”

Melanie looked at Deanna, who looked a little embarrassed for Justin. Melanie was hoping his father would drop the subject. It was dinner time, and they were supposed to be celebrating, but he was grilling his son on his grades. Also, Melanie knew the class Justin had a C in, and she knew it was hard for him to tell his dad that he was slipping in Economics.

So, she cut in. “Mr. Timberlake, with all do respect, sir, this isn’t a good time to talk about Justin’s grades.”

Randall furrowed his eyebrows at Melanie. “What do you mean this isn’t a good time? Anytime is a good time.”

“Well, we’re trying to talk about basketball and the excitement of tomorrow’s game, and you’re kind of bringing the optimism down,” she winced slightly. “Justin’s a good student, and I’m sure he’ll bring his grade up in time.”

Randall nodded, even though he wasn’t convinced, and dropped the subject. Justin sighed a sigh of relief, and squeezed Melanie’s hand that was under the table.

“So what is it you do, exactly, Randall?” Robert asked.

“I’m a criminal justice lawyer,” Randall replied.

Robert nodded, “That’s interesting. How long are your days usually?”

“Anywhere from 9 to 12 hour days.”

“You’re kidding!” Robert looked at him with disbelief. “What do you do all day? Are you that busy?”

Lynn smirked and pushed the shrimp in her plate around, “Wouldn’t we all like to know.”

“I have a lot of paper work to do, sometimes I meet with my clients,” Randall said, and Lynn began to laugh bitterly.

“What’s so funny?” Robert asked.

Lynn stuck out her bottom lip, “Oh nothing!” She drawled with fake content, “I’m fine.” She then picked up her glass of wine, took a sip and stared right into Justin’s eyes.

Randall stared at his wife, but chose to remain silent for the rest of the dinner.

* ** *
They sat on her bed in the dark- he wanted it that way in order to sulk easier. The covers on her bed were tangled and bunched in various places, but it was comforting to the both of them to be closer to familiarity. The blinds on her window were slightly open, and the moonlight allowed her to see the tears that rolled silently down Justin’s cheeks. The shadows on his face were distorted a little, for the took the shape of the blinds, but Melanie could easily see his pain. She brought her hand to his face and wiped away his tears while continuing to stare at his glowing face. He bowed his head and looked at his legs that were folded under him Indian style. Melanie cupped his face with her hands, and lifted his head so that he would look at her. She kissed him lightly, and pulled away reluctantly.

“I suck,” he said gravely.

“No, you don’t, Justin,” Melanie shook her head.

“Then why can’t I do anything right!”

“Justin, don’t become depressed. You know your abilities and you know that you’re extremely good at everything you do. Sometimes, things don’t go the way we want them to, but that’s the way life is. It’s full of ups and downs. You can’t let one bad time, ruin all the good times.”

“I feel so…” Justin searched for the words, but couldn’t find them.

Melanie shushed him, and pushed him down onto the bed. She wrapped an arm across his stomach. “Justin, go to sleep. You’ll be fine in the morning.”

Justin fell asleep within five minutes, and she hoped what she’d said was true.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki