Gray Dreams by Babymamma787


Number of reviews: 69
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Melanie sat at her computer, staring idly at the black, blinking cursor on her word document. It chided and teased her, begging her to begin typing so that it could magically make the letters appear. She rested her head in her palm, with a bored expression plastered on her face. Her brown eyes glanced at the clock display in the right hand corner of her computer screen. It told her it was 10:19 PM and she rolled eyes. She’d been sitting at her computer for about a half an hour and she still couldn’t start on her English paper. Often, she’d scolded herself for taking three honors classes when she knew she could barely keep up with one, causing her to get a ‘B’ instead of her usual ‘A’. Mentally, she made a note to go talk to her counselor as soon as she got the time. Hopefully, she’d have time with basketball season starting, even though that would probably be a stretch.

Melanie raised her eyebrows in realization. She supposed that was what had her up so late, stuck on what she also found joy in doing- writing. She’d just gotten back from yet another basketball game that they’d won, and yet another game that she was still excited after. Also, tomorrow was Thursday, the day the steppers would get their revenge on the cheerleaders. All of that excitement built up in her, she figured, is what’s making it hard for her to start her paper.
With a frustrated sigh, Melanie spun her chair around and picked up the cordless phone that was adding to the mess in her room. Slowly, she dialed Jerome’s number and hoped he’d pick up.

“Jerome?” Melanie asked when he picked up the phone.

“Hey, girl. What’s crackin’?” he greeted cheerfully.

“I’m trying to get my English report crackin’, but it ain’t workin',” She grinned.

“Well, nobody told you to take all those advanced classes, girl. But, you’re smart…you can pull it off,” Jerome complemented.

“I hope so, it’s so damn hard. But, uh…you do plan on showing up at the rally tomorrow?” Melanie asked.

“Yeah, they’re honoring basketball so, of course I’m gon’ be there. I heard that something is supposed to be going down though. Did you hear anything about that?” he asked.

“Nah, you know what? I sure didn’t,” she lied, “Those cheerleaders are supposed to be performing,” Melanie added.

“Oh shit,” He sighed.

Melanie laughed, “Hey, is Justin taking honors classes?”

“I think so…I’m not too sure. He was taking them last semester. You want his number?” Jerome asked.

In return, she smiled because he had practically read her mind, “Yeah, could you do that for me?”

***

Steven walked to he and Justin’s room with the phone in his hand. There, he saw Justin laying on his bed, reading a book.

Justin heard him come in. “How come your ass isn’t in bed yet? Mom told you last night when you were up with John watching TV, that you need to be in bed by nine. It’s like ten thirty and you’re still up,” He said, but didn’t look at his brother.

Steven rolled his eyes and threw the cordless in his brother’s hands, causing Justin to drop his book and loose his spot, “Oh shut up…someone actually wants to talk to you.”

Justin gave his little brother a dirty look and grasped the phone. “You’re a little brat you know that?” he said before answering. “Hello?”

Melanie giggled at Justin’s conversation with his brother before making her presence known, “Hey, it’s Melanie.”

“Oh hey! What can I do for you?” he greeted.

“Well, I actually wanted to know if you are taking Mrs. Boyd’s English class?”

“Yeah…unfortunately, are you working on that report?” Justin asked.

“Yeah, I don’t know how to start it.”

“Well, the report’s not due until Monday. The outline is due tomorrow,” Justin stated.

“Shutup!” she said with disbelief.

“I’m serious. You just have to finish the book and write an outline of your paper,” He reassured her.

“Thank God! I was seriously trippin’ over here,” Melanie chuckled.

“Well, trip no further my friend,” he smiled, “did you finish reading the book?”

Melanie sighed, “Yeah…finally.”

“Wanna tell me what the last…5 chapters are about?” Justin asked, “You owe me, ya know? That little stunt you pulled 2nd period was so not cool.”

“I know, dude that was so not cool!” Melanie mimicked him playfully.

“I’m serious, man! Don’t make fun of me…it’s not nice,” He whined.

“Oh, but you make it so easy, Justin.”

Justin and Melanie talked for about two hours that night. Mainly, things of little importance, but they enjoyed each other’s company nonetheless. The few debatable things they talked about, were discussed in intricate detail, and they both found out something new about each other. Justin told her everything about his brothers, and mother, but ‘failed’ to mention his father. Melanie mentioned her mother, barely her older brother, and also ‘failed’ to mention her father. She realized that Justin was indeed a good person, no matter what other people would say about him. One thing that she did realize though, was that he was probably the nicest guy, that attended high school, she’d ever met. Sometimes, too nice in some situations, but it didn’t seem to faze him. She just hoped his generosity wouldn’t be mistaken for vulnerability by some, causing him to get walked on. Victoria had already done most of that.

***

“Melanie! Girl, you need to get your ass up! It’s 7:45!” I heard the muffled yell of my mother, but I didn’t feel like opening my eyes right that moment.

All of a sudden, a huge gust of wind flew over my backside and I curled up into my pillow. What does this woman want?

“What, mamma?” I strained to open one eye.

“GET UP! You have fifteen minutes to be at school! Didn’t you say that you had something really important that you needed to do?”

My mother’s words stung me like a flame being lit under my but, so I sat upright quickly. I darted my eyes around my cluttered room. Did she just say what I thought she said?

Holy crap!

Today’s Thursday!

Rally…cheerleaders…ambush!

English!

Justin…Justin, I was talking to that fool for like 3 hours last night! I’m gonna hurt his ass when I see him.

I stumbled into the bathroom to get ready…oh god, this is not good. The face I see in the mirror cannot be mine! There are bags under my eyes and my hair is all tangled! I just put this damn weave in too! I sighed and tried to brush out some of the naps.

Within twenty minutes, I had my uniform on, hair done sloppily, and was out the door. I flew through the door, and made my way into the hallway. Of course, some slow ass person had to be walking around like it was an easy Sunday morning. Blindly, I cut him off and proceeded toward the large flight of stairs I had to go down. See, the landlord needs to try and get some damn elevators in this freakin’ complex! My heavy backpack bounced on my back as I bounced down the stairs. A cold, bustle of wind hit me in the face as I entered the parking lot. It was cold as hell this morning! Cold as hell…get it?

***
Damien walked toward his second period now, with Jerome at his side. Jerome was quiet, and fiddled with the straps of his backpack. He really didn’t have much to say to Damien now. They used to be pretty close, but Jerome was pleased with how Damien bragged about treating Melanie. She was like a sister to him, and he only wanted the best for her. He knew that Damien was certainly not the best.
Jerome sighed as he listened to Damien complain about something to do with basketball.

“I still can’t believe you signed that white boy up,” Damien sneered.

“He has a name ya know? It’s Justin, man,” Jerome looked at him as the turned a corner.

“I don’t give a damn what his name is. The important thing is that he’s changing things around here…and I don’t like it,”

“Who died and made you principal?” Jerome scoffed.

“See, nigga? That’s exactly what I’m talking about. He’s changed you too. What this I hear about you playin’ ball with him sometimes after school and shit? Why don’t you come back and play with yo people? You got soft, man.”

“You’re still bitter about his game? If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were jealous! Justin’s been helping us win games a lot, man and tryouts for the basketball team aren’t until next week! His game is sick, man and you know it. This cat averages like 30 a game!” Jerome pointed out.

“I don’t care…I think he’s doin’ some real sneaky shit,” Damien pointed a finger a Jerome. “I gotta go, my class is around the corner. But, watch Melanie for me alright?”

“I don’t need to watch your girl, man. I’m tired of watching her. I watched her all last year, and she hasn’t done anything. Oh wait I forgot…Justin’s in that class,” Jerome rolled his eyes and entered the classroom.

He walked to his seat, next to Justin, and sat down slowly. A sighed sifted through his dark lips and Justin turned sideways to face him.

“Whaddup, J?” He greeted, oblivious to the reason for his friend’s perplexed stare.

Jerome exhaled loudly before answering, “A whole bunch of stuff, man. But, nothing you need to worry about,” He didn’t completely lie. He took a second look at Justin. He squinted his eyes a little, “Are you high?”

Justin furrowed his eyebrows and looked at his friend like he was crazy, “No, I don’t smoke. Why would you ask something like that?”

“Cause your eyes look really distant man, and they’re a little red,” He examined.

“I’m just really tired, man. I was up all night,” Justin said vaguely.

“Doing?”

Justin grinned, “Nothin’ much.”

“I hope you don’t mind. I gave Melanie your number, she said she needed help on her English homework.”

Justin nodded his head, “Yeah, it’s cool.”

Jerome squinted his eyes, because he knew Justin wasn’t telling him everything. Just then, Melanie rushed into the room and sat in her seat just as the bell rang. Jerome turned around and looked at her. He looked at her face, and noticed she looked about the same way Justin did.

“What?” Melanie asked. She sighed with frustration, “Is there something on my face?”

Jerome only shook his head, “You don’t look like your usual refreshing self. You look kinda…”

“I didn’t have time to put on all my make-up this morning,” Melanie scratched the back of her head. “And my hair is all fucked up.”

Jerome looked at her head, “looks fine to me.”

“Ha! You haven’t seen it from the back yet. It’s pretty scary.” Melanie curled her lip up and looked over to Justin. She hoped he didn’t think they’d be all buddy-buddy, since they’d talked on the phone last night.
The teacher rolled the TV to the front of the room and put on a movie.

Melanie rose her hand and waited for her teacher to acknowledge her. When he did, she spoke, “What are we watching?”

“’Lilo & Stitch,’” he said and pressed ‘play’ on the VCR.

“A Disney movie?” someone said unhappily from the back of the room.

“Yes, and it’s in Spanish. Now, don’t think you guys get a free day. I want character profiles for all the characters…English and Spanish, please,” He said, and proceeded to his desk.

There was a collective groan from the class as they took out their writing utensils.

**

Is Mr. Gonzalez sitting in his seat yet? I looked over my shoulder and saw that he was. Hurriedly, I pulled out a handful of blank, pink slips and began to write on them. This is where my ‘adult-like’ writing skills come in. I’m making pink slips for all the girls on the step squad, so they can get out of class early. Hopefully, all of them would follow directions, and hand them to their teachers like they’re supposed to. That way, when the teacher let’s them out of class early for the rally, we’ll have time to change into our uniforms. We’re not gonna wear our new uniforms, yet cause we’re saving them for basketball season. We’re just going to wear matching shorts and shirts that we got at the beginning of the year.

Jerome turned around, “Where did you get all those pink slips?”

I sighed, “The office,” Where else would I get them?

“How did you get them?” he inquired further.

Of course he has to be all up in my grill. “My friend works in the office as an aid, so I told her to get me some.”

“Why do you have them?”

“Why aren’t you watching the movie?” I said and furrowed my eyebrows.

“Why aren’t you watching the movie?” Jerome turned around the question.

“Cause I have the movie in English at home,” I said. Finally, he turned around and looked at Justin, who was sleeping.
He’s probably tired from last night. I wonder if he was late this morning like I was. I hope he doesn’t expect me to talk to him a lot while we’re at school. I just can’t do it. Both of our reputations will be in jeopardy and people will try to start rumors. Not to mention the fact that we’re in relationships with protective people, and if we even get caught walking to class together…it’s over. Maybe he already knows that?
I sat and watched the objects on the screen move, and watched their mouths produce gibberish. Damn, I forgot to give that tape to Trevante, who was going to be DJing. Thank God it was somebody black cause if it wasn’t, we’d be out of luck.

Crap, I’m getting nervous. What if this doesn’t work? What if people laugh at us? Well, that won’t happen, but damn. What if we get in trouble? I can’t afford to get in trouble. But, I suppose it’ll be worth it…at least they’ll back off.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki