The Little Things by rubberducks


Number of reviews: 0
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Kristi woke up a week after her return to tour, panicked. JC had already left for an early morning TV show or press conference or something; Kristi didn’t care what it was at the moment. She ran into the bathroom, hoping and praying she was wrong. She knew she wasn’t. Her period was two weeks late. It was almost never late, and when it was, no more than two or three days, not two weeks.
She climbed into the bathtub, and checked her watch; JC should be back soon. She just had to hold it together until then. He would know what to do. Kristi grabbed the Discman sitting on the counter, pressed play, and then hugged her knees to her chest. Instead of crying like she thought she would, Kristi smiled; it was the Christian Aguilera CD. She changed it to song #4 and tried to relax, knowing there was nothing she could do until JC got back.

Twenty minutes later, JC shut the hotel room door, kicking his sandals off. He didn’t care if he had already gotten 8 hours of sleep; you can never get enough sleep. He looked around for Kristi, knowing she hadn’t planned on going out this morning. The bathroom door opened to reveal Kristi.
JC moved towards her and wrapped his arms around her waist. “Mmm, just the person I wanted to cuddle in bed with.” He kissed her quickly, noticing something was wrong. They sat down on the bed. “What’s wrong?”
Kristi turned to face him; he could see panic in her eyes, but she was trying hard to stay calm. “Jayce…I’m late.” JC was about to say, “No you’re not, we still have 3 hours”“ when Kristi continued. “No, Jayce…I’m late…my period is late.”
JC looked as if he didn’t understand what was going on at first. “What? Oh!” His eyes widened. He added in a whisper, “I thought you were on the pill…”
“I was…I am…but when we broke up,” she forced herself to say the two words, “I forgot to take it a couple of times, thinking it was nothing because I wasn’t having sex. I kind of forgot about those days when we got back together, and we haven’t been really consistent about using condoms…” Kristi had to say something. She knew JC, and he would blame not using condoms on himself. “Which I should have insisted on because I knew about the birth control situation.”
JC took her hand and moved a strand of hair caringly out of her face. “So what do we do now? Do we need a test or to go to a doctor?”
Kristi smiled; he was taking this well. She reminded herself they really didn’t know anything yet, so she shouldn’t be too worried. “We need a test, and if that’s positive, then I guess we’d need a doctor’s appointment.” JC pulled out his cell phone. “What are you doing?”
“Do you think either of us could go buy a pregnancy test?” Whoever he was calling answered the phone. Kristi hoped whoever JC called would be good about this. “Hey Mike!” Kristi sighed relief; Mike would be. “Listen, I need a favor…umm…” JC took a breath. “Could you buy me a pregnancy test?”
Kristi heard Mike’s response: “You pregnant C? Worried that the weight you’re putting on might be from a baby?”
Kristi giggled at that. JC responded, “I’m still hotter than you…but I really do need a test…sooner than later.”
JC hung up, and then moved closer to Kristi. “Whatever happens, we’re in this together, ok? I’m here for you.” Kristi’s eyes had begun leaking tears again. He kissed one on her cheek. “Why don’t we try and get some sleep while we wait for Mike?”
Kristi nodded and cuddled with JC on the bed. They both knew the other wasn’t going to be falling asleep anytime soon, but they didn’t turn on the radio or TV; silence was better right now. Kristi was tracing circles on JC’s stomach while JC was playing with a strand of her hair. Every once in a while, JC would kiss Kristi’s cheek or forehead or hand, letting her know he was there. As much as Kristi didn’t want to think about it, she couldn’t help but be thankful that this had happened with JC and not any one else; they probably would have dumped her.
After what seemed like 2 days, but was really only 2 hours, there was a knock at the door. JC jumped up, answered it, exchanged a few words with Mike, and then shut it.
Kristi got up and reached the for paper bag in JC’s hands. Looking in it, she asked, “How many people does Mike think are pregnant?”
JC shook his head, impressed Kristi was trying to keep this lighthearted. “Well, umm…good luck?”
Kristi kissed him before heading into the bathroom. She came out 5 minutes later, informing JC they would have to wait another 10 before they would know the results.
They lay back down on the bed. JC wanted to tell Kristi that no matter what, he loved her and still wanted to marry her, and everything would be ok. He couldn’t bring himself to talk, though. So instead of speaking, JC sang to Kristi.
Wise men say - only fools rush in,
But I can't help falling in love with you.
Kristi smiled and held JC’s hand. How on earth did she end up this lucky? Most guys would be running right now, but not JC. Then she reminded herself, JC’s not most guys.
Shall I stay - would it be a sin,
If I can't help falling in love with you.

Like a river flows
Surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
Kristi wrapped her arms around JC, trying not to cry. She realized, she didn’t have any tears left.
Take my hand - take my whole life too,
For I can't help falling in love with you
He kissed her quickly before starting “Sailing”. Once he was done, JC kissed her again, burying his face in her hair. “I love you.”
“I love you too Jayce.” Kristi looked at the clock. “It’s been 10 minutes.”
The two got up and walked into the bathroom, hand in hand. JC tried hard not to laugh at the sight her saw; Mike had bought 5 pregnancy tests, and Kristi had used three of them. He decided not to say anything, as much as he wanted to.
“What’s the result?” JC asked as Kristi reached for the three tests, hands shaking.
She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, then opened them. For a moment, JC thought they had read positive because Kristi remained sullen-face. Then her face broke into a smile. “Negative, all three of them…negative!” She threw the tests into the sink and jumped into JC’s arms.
They stood there for 5 minutes, just hugging. Yes, they had been worried because they weren’t ready for a pregnancy, but they would have managed. There would have been so many complications since they were on tour and because who JC was, and Kristi could have been 1 ½ months pregnant! But none of that mattered. JC realized there would be no little Adam Malcolm running around soon, but he was ok with that.
He kissed Kristi, holding her tight. “I love you.”
“I love you too.” She stopped. “Maybe I should get dressed since we have to leave in,” Kristi checked her watch, “20 minutes.”
“Sounds good.” JC kissed her again before leaving the bathroom. He had one more call to make before he could sit down and relax.
“Mike? It’s JC, yeah…negative. I know…but that’s not why I’m calling. I need another favor.” He heard Mike groan. “I need a box of condoms.” JC turned pink just saying it. He didn’t care how embarrassing this was, he wasn’t going to let this happen again.
“You’re serious?” Mike asked.
“Dead serious…” JC said. Mike agreed and hung up
JC sat down in a chair, resting his feet on the coffee table. He wanted to be a father; there was no point in denying it, but not like this. He wanted to be married, out of the spotlight. And things were still going to happen that way, it looked like.
Twenty minutes later Kristi appeared out of the bathroom, looking awake and refreshed. “I heard your conversation with Mike…thank you.”
“My pleasure.” He got up and kissed her. “Er”we need to decide who we are and aren’t going to tell, if anyone at all.”
Kristi had been thinking about that too. “Yeah, but I don’t think there’s any decision that needs to be made, since we both know already know.”
He kissed her again. “You’re so smart.”

Kristi sat in Michelle and Beth's room, with Lauren and Meghan. She and JC decided that it would be good to spend time with their friends, or rather, Kristi had decided and JC reluctantly agreed.
"You guys, I have to tell you something...but you have to swear you won't tell anyone."
Four girls nodded, anxious to hear what Kristi had to say.
"The other day, I thought I was pregnant."
"What?" Michelle was shocked. Where had this come from?
"I slipped up on my birth control and didn't really realize it, and we were never really consistent about the whole condom thing...my period was two weeks late."
"But you took a test, and you're not pregnant?" Beth asked.
"Yea, three, and they were all negative. I'm guessing it had something to do with not dancing for three weeks, and then all of a sudden, starting again."
"Female bodies can be stupid like that." Lauren said. "That happened to me when I was 15...I skipped a period, but I hadn't even had sex yet!"
The girls laughed. Kristi missed this. "It could have happened, ya know? Just…” Kristi couldn’t finish her sentence. She wasn’t going to preach about safe sex, not with her track record and not to her friends. “So what's new with you girls?"
"Well," Michelle began. "Mike called. He wants me to move in."
"That's awesome! I'm so happy for you!" Kristi exclaimed.
"Didn't you say your apartment bigger than his?" Beth asked.
"Yeah, but he thought it'd be rude to ask to move in, so I offered, and he accepted."
"Uch, boys suck." Meghan said. "They're stupid."
Kristi and Michelle didn't say anything; they were happy with their men.
"It's not that they're all stupid," Lauren said. "You just have to find the right one." Michelle and Kristi nodded in agreement.
"No more about men!" Beth said. "This is a girls' night!"
"And you know which girl we're missing?" Kristi asked. She took out her cell phone and called someone, putting them on speakerphone.
"Hello?" It was April.
"April! It's us...we miss you!" Meghan shouted.
"Oh, hey guys! Thanks for calling!"
"How's life...boring without us?" Lauren asked.
"Somewhat...I made a tour though!"
"Woah, that's something you call us about April!" Michelle said.
"Sorry, I just found out today!"
"We forgive you!" Beth added.
"Yeah, I’m starting tomorrow with Mariah Carey…apparently those rumors about mental instability aren’t true…So what's new on tour?" April asked. She missed those girls; they had accepted her, no questions asked, while she was filling in for their best dancer, and a close friend to the other 4.
"Well," Michelle started, looking at Kristi. "I'm moving in with Mike once it's done...or he's moving in with me, rather."
"That's so awesome! Congrats!"
"There's really nothing too new here, April." Beth said. "Soon things will be winding down, and eventually we'll end up back in Orlando."
"And when we do," Lauren said, "We should all get together, the six of us!"
"That is," Meghan added, "If Kristi and Michelle can get away from their men."
"And assuming I can walk." Kristi added. She hated thinking about the surgery, but she needed to keep it in mind.
"And if you can't walk," Meghan said, "We'll carry you!"
Kristi laughed. "You girls are amazing, have I told you that?"
Beth was shocked. "Is that a compliment Kristi?"
"Funny, very funny Beth."
April told them all about the happenings in Orlando, and then Michelle filled the girls in on details about her and Mike.

Kristi opened her hotel room door, closed it, and leaned against it. She really loved those girls; the 5--no, 6--complimented each other so well. After the tour was over, she knew they'd all still be friends. And that hadn't happened with any of the other tours she'd been on before.
JC still wasn't back from his guys' night, so Kristi headed into the bathroom, deciding to take a bath. Life was good.

JC, Justin, Lance, Joey, and Chris were watching North Carolina Tar Heels pre-season basketball. Justin was the only one really into the action; the other's made fun of him for getting worked up. "It's not like you grew up in North Carolina!" Joey teased.
"Shut up, I'm watching the game!" But the game was in a time-out, and a commercial appeared on the TV.
"Guys, I have to tell you something." JC said. He didn't really want to tell them, but at the same time, he did. They were his best friends, and he wanted them to learn from his near mishap. "Kristi--we had a pregnancy scare the other day."
"What?" Chris asked.
"Her--she was late, and she thought it might be because she was pregnant. It turns out she wasn't, but guys...I mean, man, be careful!" They all knew JC was telling them for a reason; if Kristi had been pregnant, they probably would have had a small wedding ceremony after the tour and maybe a bigger one once they were parents. JC was going to marry Kristi anyways; it would have just made things a little stickier. But what if it had happened with someone else?
"Well, I'm glad everything worked out." Joey said.
"Me too..." JC trailed off.
"Can we please watch something else?" Lance asked. This is what men did together; watch sports, drink beer, and eat food. So far, they'd accomplished two of the three successfully.
"Fine..." Justin said, grabbing the remote. He started flipping through the stations, ending on an Indiana Jones movie.
They all settled down, talking about what Harrison Ford was doing with his life now ("Sleeping with young women!" Joey said) and man things. JC was glad Kristi had convinced him to hang out with the guys; he didn't realize how much he missed hanging out with them.

JC entered the room, tired. He didn't see Kristi. "Kris, are you here?"
"I'm taking a bath!" Her voice sounded from the bathroom. JC kicked his sandals of and began pulling his shirt over his head, walking towards the bathroom. By the time he reached Kristi, he was struggling out of his boxers.
"What are you doing?" Kristi asked, amused. "This is a girls' night, and a boys' night! Not girls and boys night!"
JC stepped into the tub, lying on top of Kristi. He started kissing her neck. Knowing he would get nowhere without an explanation, he said, "How about we make this a boy in girl night?"
Kristi laughed. "Fair enough." She began to kiss him when JC pulled away. "What?"
"I'll be right back."
"But there's water!" Kristi pointed out. He had gotten her all excited and then he was leaving!
"So? I'll be back in two seconds!"
JC ran to his bag and found what he was looking for: a condom. He was heading back towards the bathroom when Kristi's phone rang. Checking the caller ID, JC yelled, "Kristi, it's your mom!"
Kristi let out a frustrated sound. "Answer it and get rid of her!"
"My, someone is ready..."
Kristi laughed. "It's your fault!"
JC felt awkward answering the phone naked, so he wrapped his shirt around his waist and sat down on the bed. "Hi Ruth, how are you?"
"Oh, JC!" Ruth sounded surprised. "I'm good...what are you doing answering Kristi's phone?" She wasn't mad, just curious.
"She's in the bathroom." That wasn't a lie.
"Oh, well...could you tell her to call me back when she gets a chance?"
"Of course."
"Bye JC!"
"Bye Ruth!" JC hung up the phone, tossed onto the bed, and then ran into the bathroom. He shut the door behind him so they couldn't be disturbed. He handed Kristi the condom and climbed back into the tub.
"It's a good thing this hotel thinks they can impress people with huge tubs..." Kristi said as she worked the condom on.
"Kris, I love you, but shut up." JC captured her lips, feeling her skin under the water.
Happily, Kristi obliged.

Later that night, JC put Kristi down on the bed, and was about to climb on top of her when she said, "Hold on...there's something here..." She reached underneath her and found her cell phone. "Jayce! You can't even put my cell phone where it belongs?"
JC knocked it out of her hand, causing her phone to tumble to the floor. He pinned her hands to the bed and asked, "Can we not worry about cell phones?"
She nodded.

The tour was entering its last month; as tired as they all were, Kristi could guarantee they would miss it. She had been on the phone with her doctors from Chicago and Orlando, deciding on a date for surgery, and where it would happen. One week after the tour ended, in Orlando. Even though Kristi had undergone a similar procedure years before, she was still nervous.
“Kris, I’ll be there before and after, I promise.”
“Thanks Jayce…I just don’t like people cutting me open…”
“When you put it like that!” JC laughed and squeezed Kristi’s leg.
“I feel so bad, you should be able to do stuff after my surgery, not just worry about me!”
“I will be.” This shocked Kristi; he hadn’t mentioned anything about this before. “I’m going to work for Americans for the Arts”volunteering actually. So this way, I can take care of you, work on music at home, and do something productive!”
Kristi was so happy for JC; this was something he really cared about.
“Jayce, that’s so awesome.” She paused. How was it she had managed to find someone who loved her enough to put her recovery before his own life? “I love you.”
“Thanks, and I love you too! I’m actually really excited!”

Kristi's cell phone rang. Not recognizing the phone number, she answered anyways. "Hello?"
"Hi Kristi, this is Mark Ramirez."
Kristi was shocked. She had asked JC to call, but she didn't expect anything this soon. "Hi! How are you?"
"I'm well...I'm sorry to hear about your knee."
"Thanks, but things happen, and you just have to roll with them." Kristi realized how incredibly stupid that sounded just as she said it.
"That's a good attitude. Anyways, I was calling to see if you were still interested in choreographing--assuming your knee can handle it--now that you're done touring, or will be done touring soon."
Kristi's heart jumped. Was this really happening? "Yes! I'm definitely interested." Her heart began to sink just as quickly as it had risen. "The thing is, I don't know when I could start. After the surgery, I won't be able to walk for two weeks, and then six weeks of physical therapy, and I don't know when I'd be able to start thinking about dancing, let alone actually dance."
"Not to worry, Kristi, don't worry. We understand. I'm assuming you have things you have choreographed before recorded?" Kristi's heart began to soar again. She had Swan Lake, and about 10 other things from college recorded.
"Yes"
"When you get home from tour, send them to us. We'll have an interview, probably after the surgery, to see what you'll be comfortable with. And," Mark added, "It will take us a couple of months to get you clients anyways, so you might actually be out of work for a few weeks before you start here."
Kristi was grinning. Could this really be happening?
"So, Kristi, give me a call when you know dates for surgery, and send those tapes in when you get home."
"I will. Thanks Mr. Ram--"
"Call me Mark. And your welcome."

10 minutes later, Kristi was running around backstage, looking for JC. She found him, talking to Johnny. Kristi didn't care. She yelled, "Jayce!"
He turned around just in time for Kristi to jump into his arms. She began kissing him.
He broke away. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"
Kristi giggled. "Mark Ramirez."
“C, when your woman starts calling you another name when you’re kissing, that’s not a good sign!” Johnny said, chuckling.
Ignoring Johnny’s comment, he asked "Really?" JC tried to act surprised.
"Really...thank you." She added quietly. He kissed her again, and then put her down.
Kristi leaned around JC. "Sorry Johnny, he's all yours."
"Thanks Kristi!"

The last few weeks of the tour seemed to fly by. Kristi didn’t want to admit it, but she was nervous about life after the tour. What would she do with herself during her weeks of physical therapy? She couldn’t ask JC to spend all of his time with her. Kristi would think of something; maybe she would call to see if the American Dance Association needed some volunteers. She couldn’t do anything too active, but she could do office work and make phone calls. Happy with her plan, Kristi focused all of her energy on getting a hold of all the performances she had choreographed that were on tape. Once she had located 7, Kristi arranged for those tapes to be shipped to Mark Ramirez.
The tour was winding down, and although Kristi was nervous about the future, she was excited. This was future that included choreographing”a dream of hers since she was little--, a new home, a marriage somewhere in the distant future, and after that, kids. Kristi had to smile; everything would work out. Everything happens for a reason. She had Jeff to thank for that philosophy; his involvement in Judaism, his religion, had rubbed off onto Kristi, and she had found some faith herself.
Things were looking up for everyone on tour. Lance had asked April out for when he finally got home; everyone thought they would make a good couple as they were both filled with southern charm and appeared innocent (appeared being the key word). Chris and Madi were busy planning their wedding over the phone, and once Chris returned home, they would be three months away from the wedding. Madi had asked to her to be a Bride’s Maid; of course Kristi said yes. Joey had let it slip that he and Heather were planning on seeing each other when they both were finally in Orlando. JC, at first, had been mad, but then the protective brother came out. “If you hurt her Joey…I don’t care if you’re one of my best friends! You better treat her right…” All Joey had to say was “Don’t worry man.” Joey, playing it cool like always. Beth, Lauren, and Meghan all planned to audition for other tours, but promised to be at Chris’s wedding, even if they had to leave their current tours. Justin was busily planning a solo career; he was worried the guys would be mad or offended, but neither was true, they couldn’t be happier for him. Justin had even asked JC to help produce some tracks, an offer in which JC happily accepted. Kate was going to be in Orlando for a while, something else that made Justin very happy. He even hinted that he might demand Kristi choreograph for him once he was ready to start performing; Justin figured it’d help boost her cliental, and he’d get a great choreographer. This offer, Kristi happily accepted.
Kristi would be moving the rest of her stuff from her apartment to JC’s house. She had already talked to her landlord, and he agreed to break her lease. She had a feeling they would end up donating most of her furniture, but that was ok. Then, it would be surgery time. After two months of physical therapy, Kristi hoped to be back on her feet, volunteering. JC was planning to take care of Kristi and work on music. He’d be going into the Americans for the Arts office a couple of times a week. And if he was working on music with someone else, they could always come to the house. If not, Kristi assured JC she’d be ok by herself for a day.
The future had never looked brighter.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki