I Thought She Knew by rubberducks


Number of reviews: 2
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


“My Torah portion was ‘Lechi Lach’.” Adam, the oldest Chasez, spoke into the microphone. “Many know this portion for G-d telling Abraham to go to place he doesn’t know and he’ll be a blessing and fruitful. Abraham goes, because, hey, it’s G-d. Who’s going to say no?” JC and Rachel laughed at their son’s speech as he intended. They were bursting with pride; it was Adam’s Bar Mitzvah.
“Abraham passes a test of faith here, and that’s why he becomes the father of a people. He trusted G-d to not lead him astray. I think Abraham’s most admirable quality is his faith in people and higher beings. He had such a large amount of faith in his family, and in G-d. I envy his certainty. But I’ve had a very good example of faith in my own life.”
JC took Rachel’s hand and squeezed it. Rachel hadn’t heard Adam’s speech before; JC had helped him with it. “My parents came from two very different lives. One was a pop star who toured the world.” Giggles erupted from Adam’s girl friends; they were very aware of who his father was. “And one was a philanthropist who really couldn’t live without her family.” Rachel smiled at her husband.
“My parents met in a department store on Yom Kippur 17 years ago. Yes, my parents have been married for 16 years. Anyways, Mom had fallen because she was dizzy from fasting. Dad, being the gentleman he is, helped her up, and then asked for her number.” There was a chuckle from the adult crowd.
“They were perfect for each other. All of their friends knew it. They managed his fame and career well, letting it strengthen their relationship instead of ruin it. But the one thing that broke them apart”only for a little while though”was faith. Dad had faith that they could tackle a giant together, while Mom’s wavered. The giant? My grandmother.”
“Dad wasn’t Jewish”wasn’t being the key word. He had enough faith in my mother to convert. Faith that she wouldn’t wrong him, faith that she would understand how much she meant to him by doing that. And she did.”
JC kissed his wife softly. “They’ve been married for 16 years”together for 17. That’s along time. And there’ve been people who have tried to tear them apart. But they remained faithful to one another. Together, they knew they could make it through anything. And it worked. Faith isn’t useless once you’re married, either. Mom believed in Dad when he tried the solo thing out. Dad had faith in Mom when she started another career at the Foundation. They had faith in each other. They still have faith in each other. And now, they have faith in me.”
Adam cleared his throat. “They have faith that I’ll be home by curfew, and do my chores. They have faith that I’ll do my homework and be nice to my siblings”all three of them. They believed in me when I tried out for soccer. They have faith that I’ll make them proud. And because of their faith in me, I’ll have faith in myself. They believe that I am ready to take on the responsibilities of a man, and now, standing here before you today, I believe I am too.”
Rachel let a little squeak and started fanning her eyes. “I am ready to become a Bar Mitzvah, to live up to the responsibilities of a man in the Jewish community. I will follow G-d’s call, like Abraham, and have faith, like my parents. Thank you.”

Rachel enveloped Adam in a bone-crushing hug once his ceremony was over. “You were wonderful.” Rachel said. He had inherited his father’s looks and voice. The two middle girls, Rebecca and Danielle, had the same music talent, but looked exactly like Rachel. Their youngest son, Isaac, was a mix of the both of them in every way.
“Thanks mom. And I meant every word I said.”
“Thank you honey.” Rachel kissed his cheek before guiding him to his father.
“Dad!” Adam hugged his father. “Thanks, everyone loved the speech.”
“It was great.”
“You wrote it.”
“No I didn’t!” JC said. He stepped back from Adam. “You wrote that, I just edited a few things.” JC chuckled, thinking about some of the language they had changed.
“Thanks just the same.”
“Your welcome.”
Adam pecked his parents on the cheek before running off to celebrate with his friends. JC’s arm found it’s way around Rachel’s shoulders and Rachel’s found it’s way around his waist. “He’s a pretty good kid.” JC whispered.
“The rest of them are too.” They turned around and headed in the direction of their three other kids, ages 10, 7, and 4. Adam was 13. Perfect planning on their part, according to Joey. 3 years between all of them. Rebecca had skipped a grade, though, so Adam had two years to look out for her at high school.
“Can you believe we get to do this in 2 ½ years again?” JC asked, marveling at the immensity of the ceremony and excitement.
“No.” Rachel responded.
“Me neither.”
“Can we keep the rest of them little forever?” She asked.
“No. I don’t think we can.”
“That’s ok. If the rest of their speeches are half as good…” Rachel said.
“We’re lucky.”
“I know.” She whispered.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki