Crystal Clear by Ashlie


Number of reviews: 1
Print: Printer

- Text Size +


“I’m thinking!” an exasperated young woman exclaimed. She pursed her lips in thought as her forehead wrinkled, searching for an answer to the extremely difficult question.

“Come on, it’s not that hard!” an even more frustrated older woman yelled, quickly noticing the scene they were creating. “They’re the same color, just pick one!”

“They are not the same color, Mom!” Her gray eyes wide with disbelief at the clear mistake her mother made. “This is ‘orange sherbert’ and that one is ‘salmon delight’.”

“I am so sorry for making such a grave mistake, Crystal.” After ten minutes of staring at two bottles of nail polish her patience was becoming extremely hard to find. “You never were a fan of fish, so I think orange sherbert is the obvious choice.”

Krystal had already thought of her decision much earlier, but annoying her mom seemed far to fun to pass. Slowly her almost straight teeth started to appear between her lips as she began to state her final verdict.

”I’d like the clear polish, please.” She liked her nails as they were and preferred not to cover her somewhat long and smooth nails with some god-awful ‘salmon delight.’ It was like makeup, all she needed was some lip balm and moisturizer and she was set for life. Unlike her mother, who lived off of bright red lipstick and hot pink acrylic nails. Crystal didn’t love her any less for it, they were just different and many ways she liked that.

“This is why I never take you to the salon with me!” Okay, maybe she didn’t enjoy the joke as much as Crystal did. Her mother was always dramatic though, another contrast they shared. “Just go bother someone else. I am not paying $15 for clear nail polish.”

Well, worse things could have happened to her, but taking the day off of work to spend the day with your mother was clearly a lapse of judgment on Crystal’s part. Deciding to venture off into the mall, she rose from her chair, but was quickly halted by an earlier declared statement, only this time from a male.

“I’d like the clear polish, please.” Dropping back into her chair, she stifled a laugh as she observed the masculine looking male in front of her. She decided that only because she was thoroughly bored, she would approach the man in curiosity.

“Really...” Crystal’s sudden vocalization caused the mystery man to jump in surprise. “I’m sorry. I just thought that maybe deep rose would go better with your skin tone.”

“Well, if it were my choice, I would pick no nail polish at all.” He pretended to find interest in his nails to hide his embarrassment.

“What, were you kidnapped by some guy who finds pleasure in forcing men to get manicures?” She knew that wasn’t the reason, but she was determined to find out what was.

“Ha, not exactly.” The man finally got past the embarrassment to look up at the girl standing before him. “More like I am continuously judged, so I need to keep my image basically pristine.”

“Oh! You’re a celebrity!” Her eyes slowly recognizing the man entertaining her. “Wow, and I always thought you seemed like the type to do your own thing.”

“Yea, a lot of people tend to assume what type of person I am.” Who was she to judge him? He was just minding his own business when some girl comes up and starts mocking him.

“Sorry, I had no right to intrude.” She turned around to leave, before she bothered anyone else.

“One last thing, and then I’ll let you get your French manicure in peace.” Did she say that? One thing she did inherit from her mother was definitely speaking without thinking first.
“Do what you want, man. If you loose sight of your dreams, then what dignity do you have left?”

“Thanks, I guess. I think I’ll stick with my own strategy for now though.” A smug grin being the last thing Crystal saw before the man turned his chair to face the manicurist.

“No problem.” She stated loudly, returning the smug grin. Seeing her Mom collect her belongings she headed for the door.

“Oh yea, and don’t smudge your nails on the way out, Pop Princess!” She yelled with her body half way out the door.

I should bond with my mother more often.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki