A Daddy to Call My Own by Leeann


Number of reviews: 20
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Author's Notes:
please let me know what you think. and thanks to everyone for their reviews. :)
May 22, 2022

"Can you believe we're finally out of school for the summer?" Mari asked Veronica on a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon in Los Angeles, California.

"I know. This year went forever it seemed." Vee agreed sitting next to her friend on a lounge chair next to the pool.

"Just think, this is our last summer vacation as high schoolers. Next year at this time we'll have graduated and we'll be free."

"Yeah." Veronica said not really getting into it.

"All right Vee, what's the matter?" Mari asked recognizing the signs of distress.

"Me and mum had the talk again last night." Vee answered.

'The Talk' was always about her father and how Leeann kept her from him.

"Oh. I'm sorry sweetie. You know it's summer break, you could just go see him." Mari suggested out of the blue.

"That's perfect!" Vee exclaimed a plan forming in her mind.

"Now Vee, I wasn't serious." Mari said knowing that her friend was now going to try it.

"It's a perfectly brilliant plan. Mum is always telling me how to take my kite into my own hands and fly it myself for a while. This is the perfect time to do just that. I can fly down to Orlando and meet him." Vee said getting excited.

"Veronica be realistic. Just what are you going to do? Jump on a plane, fly all the way across the country and show up on this man's doorstep and tell him you're his daughter? He's going to think you're psycho and then slam the door in your face." Mari tried to reason with her, but once Veronica had her mind set on something, she would go for it until she either achieved it or died trying.

"I have money saved up. You'll help me buy a plane ticket there, then I'll rent a cheap hotel room and I'll go see him and then come home. It's as simple as that." Vee waved her hand.

"And what are you going to tell Leeann?" Mari asked.

"I'll just kinda leave her a note before I go. I can't tell her otherwise she won't let me go. She would freak out and you know it. There's no way that I'm going to tell her." Vee shook her head.

"You need to hear it." Mari chuckled.

"Shut up Mari. Let's go to your house, we'll book a plane ticket for tomorrow. We can use your credit card right? I mean it is an emergency and I can pay you like $300 dollars now." Veronica asked.

"Why do I let you talk me into these things?" Mari asked.

"Because you love me, that's why, dur." Vee answered.

"This is true, but you always get me into so much trouble, sometimes I'm not sure if it's worth it."

"Hey now. That hurts."

"The truth hurts."

"Bite me."

"Mark the spot."

"Right there." Veronica said pointing to her butt.

"No thanks."

"Then next time don't ask where."

"Whatever."

"I win."

"Says who?"

"The rule book."

"You and your stupid rule book."

"What? You started it."

"No I didn't."

"Yes you did. You asked where you should bite me." Vee reminded her.

"Whatever. Let's just go get this over and done with." Mari said heading to her car.

Mari's parents are the best defense attorney's in the district and they were considered quite rich. Mari usually got what she wanted because her parents were rarely around and they thought that money could buy their daughters love. This would be one instance where their money would help her out of a jam, even if it was her friend rather than her.

They arrived at Mari's house about twenty minutes later and headed to her room where she had her own computer hooked up.

"Go to Orbitz and type in all the information." Veronica ordered her friend.

"I know what to do Vee. Remember who flies all the time." Mari rebuked her.

"Yeah yeah, I just want to get this done so I can get there." Veronica said pacing.

They were browsing all the websites they could to find the best deal, they finally chose one that would get her there with one stop in Washington DC. It cost over 1500 dollars for a round trip coach ticket, but that was the lowest they could find that would let minors fly alone.

"They're going to need your guardian to check you on the flight. What are you going to do?" Mari asked before they booked it.

"Would your sister do it?" Veronica asked.

"I don't know, we could call her up and ask her." Mari suggested.

Mari's sister, Nikki, was 10 years older than Mari at 31, she was often mistaken for her mother.

"Do you think they'll ask for ID?" Veronica questioned flopping back on Mari's bed.

"Probably not. It's not like she's going to be abducting you or anything." Mari answered dialing the phone.

The phone rang a few times before Nikki picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hey Nik, it's Mari. I have a favor to ask of you. Do you think you could go to LAX tomorrow morning and put Veronica on a plane?" Mari asked getting to the point.

"Are you nuts? That would never work you know that right?" Nikki shook her head.

"Why not." Mari asked not really thinking.

"Look in the mirror and then look at Veronica. We're dark and she's light. I know you guys are like best friends and sisters, but this is one thing that you can't get away with. You'll have to find someone else to be her guardian. Why does she even need a guardian? Just put that she's 18. They won't check. She looks old enough to be 18, trust me." Nikki answered.

"You're right, we'll just put down that she's eighteen. Thanks Nik, sorry to bother you." Mari hung up the phone and turned to Veronica.

"Well?"

"She's right, you are a lot lighter than us, there's no way they'd buy it. We're just going to put you down as eighteen." Mari answered.

"Yeah, I guess. It should work." Veronica shrugged.

"Don't worry hon, it will work." Mari smiled and reassured her.

"Can we book a hotel room on there too?" Veronica asked sitting up.

"I don't know, we could try." Mari nodded turning back to the computer. "Let's book the flight first."

They booked the flight for leaving LAX tomorrow morning at 6am. So Veronica would have to be there at four to make sure that she had all her bags checked and for boarding.

"How much can you afford for the hotel? Dude, you can't check in unless your like 19." Mari said adding to Veronica's pile of problems.

"Ugh. This just isn't working. I'm going no matter what. Even if I have to stay on the street. I'll just find my hotel while I'm there."

"Okay, whatever works for you." Mari nodded closing out of her screen.

"I can't wait. I finally get to meet him and see what he's really like." Veronica said laying back down.

"I hate to say this and be the one who brings bad news, but what if he doesn't believe you?" Mari asked.

"I have my birth certificate with his name on it."

"That doesn't always mean anything hon. It's just a piece of paper."

"I don't know what I'll do Marianne, I just know that I need to find him and after that, I don't know. I've longed for the moment I could see him since I can remember. I know mom always said she was protecting me from getting hurt, but I want to find out for myself. What would you do if you were me?"

"I'm not sure. I'm not as brave as you. That's one of the things I admire about you Vee, is your braveness. You look life dead in the eye and take everything as it comes. I don't think I could do this if it were me."

"Thanks Mari, that means a lot to me. I love you like the sister I never had." Veronica said hugging her friend.

"I love you too, and you know I feel the same way. Now, let's go get something to eat, I'm starving." Mari said heading toward the door.

They ended up cooking a 'going away meal' as Marianne called it, complete with Spaghetti, garlic bread, and chocolate cake for dessert. They were good cooks, as they always fended for themselves while at Mari's. Leeann would always cook for them at Veronica's, but they didn't like to eat over there because she doesn't eat meat and they usually have tofu and other soy products in place of real food.

"This smells delicious." Veronica sniffed appreciatively as they set everything on the table.

"I hear ya sister." Marianne said dishing up her pasta.

They both dished up their plates, then Veronica said a quick grace.

"Father in heaven, thank You for this meal. I pray that you would protect me as I take this journey tomorrow, bless this food to our body, Amen."

"Amen." Mari echoed.

"This is awesome." Veronica said biting into her spaghetti.

"Yes, now keep your food to yourself. I don't like see food." Mari wrinkled her nose.

"Oh come on Mari, live a little." Vee said sticking her food out of her mouth.

"That's just gross. Where are your manners?"

"What manners?"

"No kidding."

"Hey girls, this smells good." Kya, Mari's mother, said coming into the room.

"Hey mom, thanks." Mari smiled at her mother.

"Thank you." Veronica smiled at her second mother.

"Your welcome sweetie. Mari, I don't mean to pry, but we just got a call from your credit card company letting us know that you just charged 1600 dollars. Is there anything we should know about?"

"Ma'am, I'll be honest, I'm going to Orlando tomorrow to find my father. I'll pay you back when I can." Veronica said setting down her fork.

"You're flying all the way to Orlando by yourself to meet your father? Does he know you're coming?"

"No ma'am." Veronica shook her head.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know my father, I've never met him in my life. It's been my dream ever since I could remember to meet him, but I've never been able to. My mum doesn't want me to meet him." Veronica explained.

"Well, I hope you find him. Do you need some money?"

"No ma'am, I'll be fine thanks."

"All right, well if you do, just call us."

"Thanks ma'am."

Veronica looked at Marianne who was surprised at her mother and it showed.

"You're not going to stop her mom?" Mari asked Kya's retreating form.

"No. If she wants to meet her father, why stop her." Kya answered. "I gotta go hon. See you later. Good luck Veronica honey."

"Thanks ma'am." Veronica smiled.

They watched her leave and then looked at each other then started laughing.

"I can't believe that she let you go." Mari shook her head.

"Maybe she wouldn't if she knew that my mum doesn't know."

"I don't know, I'd rather not find out either."

"Yeah, me neither. I need to do this." Veronica said taking a bite of her garlic toast.

They finished the rest of their meal in mostly silence. They were both left to their own thoughts. Veronica was thinking about what she was about to do while Marianne was thinking about how her mother just reacted to Veronica's news.

"Let's eat our cake on the veranda, it's really nice out tonight." Mari suggested.

"Sounds good to me." Veronica nodded.

They ate their cake and sat outside talking for the next hour when Vee had to get home to pack and get her stuff ready for tomorrow.

~*~

5am

"I can't believe I'm doing this." Veronica said at the airport with Mari.

"I can. This has been your dream for years." Mari said hugging her.

"Thanks Marianne, for everything." Veronica said tears in her eyes.

"I know you're not going to get weepy on me."

"No ma'am. I just can't believe I'm going against my mum's wishes like this." Veronica sighed.

"Well you better go, they just called for your group to board. Have fun while you're gone and remember to call me when you get there and tell me what happens. I love you Vee." Mari said hugging her one last time.

"I will, I love you too Mari." Vee hugged her back then took the walk down the hallway to board the plane. She turned around as she was about to turn the corner and waved at Marianne who in return waved back.

"I can't believe this." Veronica whispered as she found her seat on the plane.

She closed her eyes and willed the fear out of herself. This was not only the first time she'd flown, but also the first time she'd really disobeyed her mum. In a few hours, she'd be in Orlando and she could finally meet her father, her daddy. That thought alone, let her fall asleep before the flight took off.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki