Blind Sight by angel_from_africa


Number of reviews: 24
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


            Dr Hart, or Melissa as her friends called her, let herself into the small side office and pulled her hair down. She walked over to the desk and turned on the computer, and opening up the file that had been faxed over to her this morning. She decided she’d better get a good background check on her new client and his circumstances as to why he was here.

            Accident, the file said, with trauma to the head and damage to the occipital lobes. She sighed and felt the pain of the young man’s heart. Yes, she had been informed prior to his arrival as to who he was, but to her it was no big deal. He was here for help and support, and that she was going to give him. She continued glancing at the file, and stopped shortly after when there was a knock at her door.

            “Yes?” she called not looking up from her file, the door slightly opened and her client’s bodyguard popped his head in.

            “Dr Hart?” Mike asked with a slight smile. She looked up from her file and smiled.

            “Ah, Mike, come on in. I suppose you’ve been checked in okay?” She asked, Mike nodded and pushed the door open a bit more so he and Justin could walk in. He smiled as he led Justin in and helped him sit down. “Hello Justin.”

            “Hi,” Justin said as Mike removed the sunglasses that covered his eyes.

            “How are you?” Dr Hart asked softly, and Justin shrugged but didn’t say anything. “How was check in?”

            “It was good,” Mike replied for Justin, “Sorry he’s a bit shy. Never been one to open up to people he doesn’t know.” She smiled and nodded in understanding as Justin softly blushed.

            “It’s okay I understand,” she replied, she picked up a pen and opened her file. “Well why don’t we get started?” Justin nodded softly and Mike smiled.

            “Sure,” Mike replied for them and Dr Hart nodded.

            “So Justin, how have you been handling your new situation?” Dr Hart asked, “I mean emotionally.”

            “It’s been okay,” Justin replied but she knew he was lying. She could tell by the way his hands fidgeted that he was not coping as well as he’d have liked.

            “Justin, we’re here to help you,” Dr Hart replied. “Why don’t we start by you telling me what you remember about that day?” Justin shrugged and moved his head so it seemed as if he was looking straight ahead.

            “I got up, went to the gym, then the accident happened,” Justin replied like he had rehearsed the speech.

            “Is that all you remember?” Dr Hart softly coaxed and Justin nodded.

            “Yeah,” he said, but it was obvious he was not telling the truth. She sighed and let him have the benefit of the doubt and looked at her file.

            “I see here your friends and family visited you in hospital, how was that?” She asked him and again he shrugged.

            “It was nice that they came,” he said with a bit of hesitation.

            “Will they be the ones visiting you while you’re here?” Dr Hart asked Justin softly, he nodded.

            “Yeah I guess. Right Mike?” Justin asked his bodyguard.

            Mike who had been silent all this time nodded, “Yeah Justin. They’ll all be here.” Mike looked at Dr Hart and gave her an apologetic smile.

            “It’s okay. Um, well then, I guess that’s all for now. Why don’t you get settled in and I’ll talk to you again tomorrow once you’ve had time to familiarize yourselves with the place?” Dr Hart asked, Mike nodded and placed a hand on Justin’s shoulder who just shrugged.

            “Okay,” Mike said and looked at Justin. “Justin? Shall we go to our room?” Justin nodded and felt around for the sunglasses Mike had taken off, as he did so Dr Hart noticed that his eyes moved in the direction to where Mike was but Justin himself didn’t know where he was looking.

            “Well it was nice to meet you Justin, and you too Mike. I guess I’ll see you guys tomorrow then?” Dr Hart asked.

            “Yeah,” Justin mumbled as he fumbled to put the sunglasses on. “Bye doctor.” That was his cue to Mike, Mike nodded and looked at the doctor.

            “Thanks doctor, see you tomorrow,” Mike said and took Justin’s hand helping him out of the chair and out into the hallway.

            “Bye guys,” Dr Hart called after them, and as her door closed she knew that this would be one tough guy to break.

 

            Later on, as it was time for bed, Justin and Mike sat alone in their room, but Justin felt more alone than ever. Mike had long gone to bed, and Justin felt himself being awake by the older man’s light snoring. He smiled knowing that Mike had not deserted him, that he hadn’t been deserted. But even as he felt this, deep down inside he felt as if he had no one.

            He closed his eyes, although he really didn’t know why and tried to sleep, but the words of everyone around him were still running through his head. They told him he would move on, but how could he? He was blind, unable to see anything or anyone and he was alone. He sighed and finally after a long time he felt himself drift off into an uneasy sleep. But he was still alone, and he would always be, for a long, long time.

 

            “Justin wake up,” Mike’s voice called Justin opened his eyes, but only saw black and for a moment he panicked forgetting where he was.

            “Mike? Mike? Where am I? What happened?” Justin asked sitting up and moving his head around hoping to see.

            “Justin its okay,” Mike’s voice said in a reassuring tone, “You’re at the Center remember?” Justin felt Mike place a strong and on his chest to calm him down.

            “Oh yeah,” Justin said after he realized what had just happened. “Sorry I forgot.” He bowed his head slightly and heard Mike sigh.

            “It’s okay,” Mike said and Justin felt Mike get up from the edge of the bed. “Come on let’s get you ready for your first group session.” Justin looked up and shook his head.

            “No, I don’t want all those people to see me like this,” Justin said adamantly. Mike nodded and placed a hand on Justin’s shoulder.

            “I know you don’t, but it’s what they said was best,” Mike said and helped a reluctant Justin off the bed.

            “I know what they said Mike, but I still have to think about my image,” Justin said, as Mike led him a few paces forward.

            “Justin, you don’t have to worry about that here remember?” Mike replied as he led Justin to a stop. Justin heard a zipper being opened and someone ruffling through clothes.

            “But the doctors…” Justin began and Mike sighed, the ruffling stopped as Justin felt Mike place warm clothes in his hands.

            “The doctors don’t care about that, all they care about is you getting the help you need,” Mike replied and patted Justin’s back. “Okay Kiddo let’s do this.” Justin nodded and let Mike help him dress, once they were done Justin spoke.

            “You’re sure no one will care?” Justin asked Mike.

            “Yes Justin, no one will care. You’re all the same here,” Mike replied and took Justin’s hand. “Do you want to go to the session now?” Justin nodded and let Mike lead him out of the room. Justin didn’t know how long they’d walked but soon they came to a stop. “Justin, you can sit down.” Justin nodded and felt around behind him for a chair.

            “Thanks Mike,” Justin said as Mike pushed the chair forward slightly so Justin could sit.

            “No problems Kiddo, look I’m just going to be by the door ok? If there’s anything call me,” Mike said and Justin heard Mike’s footsteps walk away and for a moment he panicked.

            “Mike wait,” Justin called feeling around him wildly.

            “Yeah?” Mike asked as his footsteps came back.

            “Don’t leave me,” Justin whimpered and felt a hand on his shoulder.

            “I’m not leaving you, I’m right here,” Mike said in a calming voice. Justin heard Mike pull up a chair and a soft thud as the heavy set man sat down. “I’m right next to you kiddo.”

            There was silence for a while and all Justin heard was Mike’s soft breathing next to him, so he presumed he was the only person in the room apart from Mike. Soon the nice silence was disrupted by more footsteps and Justin sat up alert.

            “It’s okay Justin,” Mike said realizing Justin’s panic and placed a hand on his shoulder. “It’s just the other patients.” Justin seemed to calm down a bit and nodded as more footsteps entered and the noise in the room grew, the whole time not letting go of the grip that he had on Mike’s hand.

            “Hello everyone,” a voice Justin recognized said. “I’m Dr. Hart, your counsellor for the time you’ll be here. Why don’t we begin by introducing ourselves? Jane would you like to start?” Justin smiled at the fact that there was another familiar voice in the room but as they went around introducing themselves he wondered what he was going to say. Usually he knew what to say in front of a crowd, when he could see them. But now he couldn’t, and that was the most uneasy feeling in the world.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki