Amazes Me by reneeden32


Number of reviews: 3
Print: Printer

- Text Size +


Author's Notes:
I don't know if this could be classified as a short story or not.  It probably is more of a capture.  Started out as the epilogue to a longer fic that I'm working on (why do I get the sudden urge to say that it's feature length?  *grin*).

Anywho . . . what do you think?  Too long?  Too short?  Is it awesome or does it absolutely suck turkey?  I loooooove feedback.  *wink, wink*

Thanks for reading!

Contains the song “Your Love Amazes Me” as performed by John Berry

A loud cry wailed through the darkness, pulling her abruptly from her cocoon of sleep.  She rolled over, checking the clock.  3:20 AM. 

She moaned, wiping her hand across her face and shifting toward the edge of the bed.  A hand reached out and clasped her shoulder, holding her still as his lips trailed over her neck.

“I’ll go.  Go back to sleep, babe.”

She smiled at the deep, rumbling voice and sighed as she relaxed back against the pillows.  She heard him pad across the floor and out the door, heading down the hall toward the wailing cries.

She could tell when he’d gotten there, because the cries stopped immediately.  She lay there for a minute, staring into the darkness and listening to the sudden silence, before rolling out of the covers and grabbing her robe from the chair.

She tied the belt as she walked quietly down the hall towards the square of pale light that shone through the doorway, dimly lighting the walls covered with photographs.  She stopped in front of one of the larger frames, smiling at the image of the two of them.  He’d often said that, no matter how many they added to their collection, it was one of his favorite pictures.

Despite the dim lighting, she knew the image well enough to see the details.  One of the best days of her life, caught on film . . .

“Ouch.  Easy on the stomach.” 

She smiled up towards his face, then shifted so that her head rested more comfortably on him.  Finally settled, she sighed when his fingers came up to tangle in her hair and turned her gaze to the September sky above them.

“I wish I could just lay here like this forever.  Don’t make me leave next week.” 

“I’m not making you go anywhere.  You’ve got an album to promote and a spring tour to plan.”  She turned her face so that she could see his eyes.  “I get to come with you.”

A grin spread across his face as he looked at her.  “Yeah, I know.”  His eyes moved up to study the clouds.  “Are you packed yet?” 

“No.  I’ll just throw everything together at the last minute and pray that I haven’t forgotten anything.”  She laughed, reaching out to lace her fingers through his.  “I seem to do everything last minute lately.”

She heard his soft laughter and felt his thumb trace over the back of her hand. 

They lay there in silence for a little while, just relaxing and enjoying the rare time alone together.

“Al?” 

“Hmmm?”

“Sit up for a minute.”  He reached out and helped her up, then sat up beside her and studied her for several moments.   

“What?”

“Allie . . . are you happy?” 

“Am I happy?”  She looked back at him, her confusion evident on her face.  She leaned against him, her expression turning thoughtful as she reflected over the past few years.  She turned her eyes back to trail over his profile, the sun reflecting a halo of light around his head, and a slow smile spread across her face.  “I don’t think I could be happier.”

He smiled and reached his arms around her, pulling until she was sitting in his lap before leaning down to kiss her softly.  “I love you.” 

“I love you, too.”  She watched as his hand came up to run through his hair, noticing his trembling fingers.  “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”  He reached out and took her hand, bringing it up to press his lips to the back of her fingers.  “I was just thinking.” 

“About what?”

“This.  Us.”  He smiled at her.  “It’s been two years, Al.  It feels like it was just yesterday that I knocked into that waitress and doused your date.” 

She tilted her head back to see his face, laughing.  “And I want to thank you again for that.  Kim was so positive that he was going to be my soul mate, but when that water spilled all over him and he started cursing a blue streak . . . I think she changed her mind.”

“My life was crazy back then.” 

She raised an eyebrow at him.  “It’s not crazy now?”

He shrugged.  “Well, it’s still nuts, but not nearly as out of control as it was back then.” 

“Yeah . . .” she trailed off when he started patting around on the blanket, then ran his hand under the edge.  “What are you doing?”

He ignored her question and looked directly at her.  “I’ve been thinking about us, Al.  For the last couple months, that’s all I could think about.  You and me and where we’re going.” 

Her heart caught at the serious look on his face.  “If you break up with me right now, I’m going to kill you.”

A grin split across his face and he held her closer, turning her legs so that she was sideways in his lap.  “I’m not breaking up with you, so pull the claws back in.”  She glared up at him and he chuckled at her.  “All that thinking about us . . . it was distracting, Al.  I couldn’t think of anything else.  I really think the guys were about ready to kill me.” 

He laughed and looked down at his fisted hand.  “I’ve been carrying this around with me for weeks, waiting for the right time.  The perfect moment.”  His green eyes softened.  “I was going to wait until we were in New York . . . but I don’t think I could ask for a more perfect time than this.”  

He opened his hand in front of her to reveal a small velvet box.  “Go ahead and take it.”

Her hands were trembling, and he had to help her hold it.  “On our first date we got to talking about past relationships and what we wanted in the future.  You told me that you didn’t expect perfection in life, that you just wanted to be happy, whatever that meant.  You didn’t think that you deserved perfection.  You thought that perfection was only in fairy tales and that you were never going to have a fairy tale life.” 

His arms tightened around her, holding her to his chest.  “All my life, I’d been looking for that . . . that perfection that you had given up on.  I’d finally given up on it, too.  But then you came along.”  His hands tightened around hers.  “This is perfection, Al.  You and me.  Together.  This is happiness. This is what they don’t tell you about in those fairy tales you read as a kid.”  He took a deep breath.  “I never thought I’d get to this point.  I never thought I’d find someone who could mean everything to me . . . who is everything to me.”

His shaking fingers flipped open the box to reveal the simple, perfect diamond ring.  “Every step I make, note I sing and breath I take . . . you’re there in my heart, cheering me on.  You’re what I live for, Allie.  There’s nothing I can’t do when I’m with you.  Whenever you look at me . . . I see how much you love me.  I see that in your eyes and I feel like I can do anything.  I need that.  I need you.  More than anything, I need you.  For the rest of my life.” 

His fingers pulled the ring out of its silky nest, holding it up in front of her.  He heard her sniffling, felt a tear drop hit his arm.  His voice lowered into a pleading whisper.  “I love you more than life itself, Alyssa.  Will you marry me?”

She was sobbing and laughing at the same time.  “Oh my God.”  She turned quickly to grin at him through the tears streaming down her cheeks and held her left hand up to him.  “Yes. Oh, God, yes. Yes!” 

The breath he didn’t know he’d been holding released and he relaxed with a bright grin.  He had only gotten the ring to her second knuckle when she brought her hands to his face, her fingers sliding into his hair as she pulled him down so that she could kiss him.  His arms wrapped around her waist, holding her tightly to him as she pulled back to smile through her tears, her eyes searching his.

“You just gave my heart back to me.” 

“No I didn’t.”  He leaned into her again, his nose bumping with hers, smiling when her fingers massaged his scalp.  “I just claimed it as my own.”

“It’s been yours.  I’m yours.”  The last was murmured into him as his lips met hers in a kiss so deep, she was sure she was touching heaven.

He’d never told her who’d taken the picture, although she was fairly sure that Justin and Joey had played a part in it.  She smiled as she ran a finger over his face in the photo, the blissful expression on his face as he kissed her speaking volumes about how much he loved her.

They’d had a long engagement . . . eighteen months of promoting, recording and touring that had flown by so fast, she couldn’t even recall the details of it.

She smiled at the picture of the two of them dancing at the wedding reception, their arms wrapped around each other, his forehead resting against hers as he smiled down into her eyes.  Their wedding had been a dream . . . the wedding she’d always fantasized about. 

Her foster care ‘sisters’, Kim and Stacey, had been right there to help her plan the whole thing -- and to help her keep her sanity during the whole process. 

The ceremony had been small, his family and their closest friends making up the bulk of the guests who had been seated in the tent on the edge of the beach.  Kim and Stace had been her bridesmaids.  Chris and Joey had been the groomsmen -- making Lance just slightly paranoid about the whereabouts of the ring.  JC had been behind the piano, providing the beautiful soundtrack for the occasion. 

She’d had no father figure growing up, but there had been a replacement ready and willing to step in.  Justin had walked her down the aisle -- right after he’d given a low whistle and arched an eyebrow at her, grinning devilishly and commenting “Wow.  He’s gonna hit the sand when he sees you in that dress.”

She’d steered away from the traditional fluff and fabric that made the typical wedding dress, choosing instead to go with a simple white, strapless, floor length satin gown.  The material had been heavenly in the March sun and nobody could tell that she was going down the aisle barefoot.  That is, until the groom had kissed his bride, given her an evil grin and then literally swept her off her feet to carry her back up the aisle.

She was jerked from her memories when she heard a few whimpers coming from the lit room.  Soft music began playing.  She moved into the doorway and leaned against the doorframe, a tender smile on her face as she watched him swaying in the middle of the floor, their baby girl cuddled to his bare chest, his hand gently cupping her head to rest against his shoulder as he danced with her, singing softly against her ear. 

The light from the lamp in the corner drew out the checks in the baggy pajama pants he was wearing, highlighted the blond tints in his hair, and glinted off the gold band on his left hand.  She grinned as she remembered their conversation from that morning . . .

“You know, you’re allowed to take your ring off from time to time.  You don’t have to wear it all day, every day.” 

His eyebrow had arched as he looked up from the pancakes he was flipping.  “I take it off for showers and when I go swimming.  That’s plenty.”

“But . . .” 

“But nothing.  I’m taken.  I’m yours.  If I want the world to know that, let me show them.”

“I know.”  She watched him as he turned the bacon.  “I’m not saying you should take it off for your publicity stuff . . . although if you wanted to, I’d be fine with that.  It’s just that . . . you keep it on even when you’re at home.  You can relax at home, Lance.” 

He grinned over at her.  “I do relax at home.  You should know that better than anybody.”

“I know, but I . . .” 

He reached out and turned off the stove burners before leaning his hip against the counter, facing her.  “This ring is a symbol of the vows that we made to each other.  It reminds me of everything that you’ve promised me, of everything that you’ve given me.  It shows me that you love me.”  An evil grin spread across his face.  “And it shows the entire world that I’m definitely tied down.”

She feigned a hurt look.  “Is that how you see yourself?  Tied down?”  A pout formed on her face and she crossed her arms over her chest, glaring at him playfully. 

He chuckled as he walked over, pinning her between his body and the counter.  “Yep.  Most definitely tied down.  To you.”  He kissed her lightly before pulling back, his fingers tangled in her hair.

She smiled up at him.  “So sorry to torture you so much.  It must be horrible for you.” 

The metal band was cool against her cheek when he cupped her face in his hands.  “Babe, if this is torture . . . hit me with everything you’ve got.”

His thumbs traced the smile lines under her eyes for a second before he leaned in to kiss her deeply, his lips smiling against hers when her fingers threaded through his hair, pulling him closer.

She’d never known that a simple gold band could mean so much.  She’d never thought that she could love someone as much as she loved this man she was sharing her life with.  And she’d never dared to dream that someone could return that love as completely and honestly as he did.

Her eyes trailed over his face, relaxed peacefully, content to be holding his six month old daughter, eyes closed as he hummed along with the tune and swayed around the room.

Her heart swelled, tears threatening to fall, and she quickly moved her gaze to the photos that lined the wall of the nursery.  Each picture had a memory attached and she smiled as her eyes landed on the photo hanging over the dresser.  She could still remember the day she’d taken it . . .

Lance looked up when he heard the chime of the doorbell.  “They’re here, princess.”  His finger stroked her cheek gently before turning from the bassinette to smile at Allie, who was kicked back on the couch.  “I’ll go let them in.  You might want to Joey-proof the place right quick.” 

He could hear her laughter as he walked down the hall to pull the door open.  “Come on in, guys.”

The tranquility of the house turned immediately energized as the group moved noisily through the door and down the hall, all grins as they came into the living room. 

“Hey guys.”  Allie grinned and stood, reaching out to hug each of them as they came through.  “Make yourselves comfortable.”

“It feels like it’s been forever, Al.”  Justin tightened his arms around her, lifting her feet from the ground.  “You doing all right?” 

“I couldn’t be better, J.”  She stepped back and chuckled at his boyish grin and the backwards baseball cap masking the shorter version of his curls.  “It’s only been . . . like, two weeks?  Three at the most.  Surely you didn’t miss me that much.”

“You have no idea.”  He cast a surreptitious glance over at Lance, who was laughing with Chris over something, before leaning his head in towards her.  “I don’t know who was happier to come home last week, us or him.  He was so high strung this time around . . . grinning all the time, bragging about his two beautiful women to anybody who’d listen.  We’re talking an insanely happy Bassman.  You won’t believe how awesome his recording sounds.” 

A grin lit up her face as she laughed.  “He’d better be bragging about us.”  Her eyes traveled around the room, resting on each person in her makeshift family before meeting Justin’s eyes again.  “And he’s not the only one who’s insanely happy.”

He smiled at her and draped his arm around her shoulders.  “It’s obvious, Al.  Trust me.”  His head turned and his eyes lit up when he saw the tiny fist waving around in the air.  “How’s my Little Bit doing?” 

She laughed at his phrasing.  It was interesting to see how possessive all the guys had become when Diana had been born.  She’d taken to each of them immediately, bonding with all of them and stealing their hearts from the moment she’d first opened her blue eyes and crinkled her tiny nose into a yawn at the hospital.

They each had pet names for her and Allie could just see what kind of trouble she’d be getting into, growing up around this group of mischievous uncles.  Diana would have a wonderful environment for her childhood, the loving family members and built-in support system that Allie herself had longed for.  JC, Joey, Justin and Chris were going to be fantastic uncles to her little girl. 

“Come and see for yourself.”  He followed her over to the bassinette, waiting until she’d picked up the baby and placed her in his arms before running his finger over her cheeks.

“Hey sweetie.”  He murmured, leaning in to press a light kiss to Diana’s forehead.   The baby’s hand came up and wrapped securely around his large finger, a toothless smile forming briefly on her face as she blinked up at him.  He smiled as he moved over to sit on the couch, cradling her carefully in his arms as he sat back.  “I think she gets more and more gorgeous every time I see her.” 

“That’s what I was just thinking, J.”  JC leaned over the back of the couch, reaching his hand down to tickle the baby’s chin.

“Just like her mom.”  Lance had taken the spot to Justin’s right, smiling down at his daughter before looking up to meet Allie’s gaze with smiling eyes. 

She shook her head and laughed before turning to pick up a camera from the bookcase.  “When did you get to be such a suck up?”

He shrugged with a grin as the guys around him started laughing, sending jibes his way and cheering her on. 

“Hey, Al.  Want to hear one of the songs we finally got finished with?”

She looked up at Chris’ smiling face, then at the CD he held in his hand.  “Sure.  Go ahead and put it in.” 

He hit play on the stereo and a happy, up tempo beat came out of the speakers.  She listened for a few minutes, her toes tapping against the floor as she nodded along with the beat.  “I like it.”  Her attention turned to the couch as the baby giggled and kicked her feet.  “You’ve got two votes.”

Justin held Diana up so that she could kick freely to the beat of the song. 

“Hey, she’s a dancer.”  Joey looked over at Lance, an eyebrow raised.  “Who knew?”

Diana’s face split into a smile and her little hand waved for a second before latching on to Justin’s nose and holding fast.  Her other hand came up to his face and she squeezed his cheek before letting out a cooing noise. 

“Okay, who’s been teaching her how to flirt?”  Justin’s voice came out with a nasal tone, the baby’s fingers squeezing his nose even tighter, and even he had to grin before joining in with the laughter around him.

And that was the exact moment that she’d taken the shot, her camera capturing the laughter of the five guys as the baby chattered at them, her hand clinging tightly to Justin’s nose.  The most perfect family photo she’d ever seen, framed and hanging on the wall in her daughter’s room.  Right where it should be.

And it’s all mine.

“Hey, Mom.”

Her eyes turned to find Lance looking back at her, a grin on his face. 

“Hey, Dad.”  She smiled back at him.

“Come on in and dance with us.”  He looked down at the baby’s drooping eyelids.  “I think we’re just about ready to go back to bed.”

She walked across the floor towards them, going right into his embrace so that Diana was held between them.  One of his arms went around her, pulling her even closer to him.

She leaned her cheek against his shoulder, smiling before kissing the baby’s forehead, then moving her head to press a kiss to his neck.

He sighed contentedly, his lips against her forehead, before pulling back so that he could meet her eyes as his humming turned to singing as the song on the stereo changed.

I’ve seen the seven wonders of the world
I’ve seen the beauty of diamonds and pearls
But they ain’t nothing, baby
Your love amazes me

I’ve seen a sunset that would make you cry
And colors of a rainbow reaching across the sky
The moon in all it’s phases, but
Your love amazes me

Don’t you ever doubt this love of mine
You’re the only one for me
You give me hope, you give me reason
You give me something to believe in
Forever faithfully
Your love amazes me

His hand tightened at her waist, moving her with him as he eased over to the crib.  She helped him to lay the sleeping baby down, then stepped back into his embrace as he kept singing for her, his arms holding her tightly as they danced across the room.

His hands came up so that his fingers could trace the sides of her face as they worked their way into her hair.

I’ve prayed for miracles that never came
Got down on my knees out in the pouring rain
But only you could save me
Your love amazes me

Don’t you ever doubt this love of mine
You’re the only one for me
You give me hope, you give me reason
You give me something to believe in
Forever faithfully
Your love amazes me

He smiled tenderly at her before leaning down to kiss her softly.  He pulled back, his eyes trailing over her face before his gaze moved into the crib.  He swallowed, trying to find his voice again.

“Allie . . . thank you so much.”

She reached out and ran her hand over Diana’s head, smoothing the hair into place, before looking back up at him.  “What . . .”

He pulled her back to him and raised his hand to run the back of his hand over her cheek.  “You’ve given me everything I’ve ever dreamed of.  First, you let me have you.  Then, you gave me her.”  He leaned in to kiss her again.  “Life is pretty much perfect right now.”

She looked over at the sleeping baby and felt his thumb moving along her jaw, felt his heartbeat under her fingers.  She looked up into his eyes and smiled.  “Forget the old fairy tales.  I’m perfectly happy living in my own.”

He laughed softly as her hands moved up into his hair, pulling him down to meet her.  And then . . .

Heaven.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki