Baseball, Raindrops, and You by ComplicateMe


Number of reviews: 2
Print: Printer

- Text Size +


Author's Note:  This is just a little something that has been rolling around in my head ever since I heard the song "Hey Little Suzie" by Billy Gilman.  I'm working on the next chapter of A Heart's Stowaway right now and hope to have it up in the next couple days.  Until then, hope you enjoy this short story.

 

May, 2005

Seventeen Magazine – May issue

As many of you may know, I was recently privileged to receive a visit by the elusive JC Chasez for an interview and short photo session. The 29-year old singer/songwriter popped into Seventeen’s studios just a few days ago to sit down for a one-on-one to discuss the future of his music career, the move from LA to New York City, and the recent engagement to long-time girlfriend Brooke McDonnell.


Seventeen: It’s good to have you here JC. How are things going right now?

JC Chasez: Couldn’t be better.

S: So I hear that there are some new developments in the direction of your music career…is that correct?

JC: Yeah, that’s right. I’m going to be teaming up with my former group member Chris Kirkpatrick and we’re currently discussing ideas for opening a new performing arts school for children grades K-12.

S: Sounds interesting. What made you decide to turn in this direction? And what does that mean for your music career as it stands right now?

JC: Well, I have always been interested in connecting more with the youth of today; I’m starting to become an old man [laughs]. I also realized that it’s about time I gave back to the community and give others a chance in the spotlight; there are no doubt some very talented kids that are still undiscovered by the industry.

S: I see. That is definitely a great idea you have going there. What impact will this have on your music career?

JC: For now, I’m going to be working overtime to finish my second album, and as of right now, there will probably be a tour, depending on how album sales go. After that, I’m going to be turning my attention more to this project as well as back to producing. That way, I still have my hand in the music business while Chris and I get this new idea in the works. Besides, I’m going to need time off anyway for a honeymoon [grins].

S: So I heard. Congratulations to you and your lovely future bride, Brooke McDonnell. I’m sure the question on everybody’s mind – how did you two meet?

JC: [faraway look] It was quite awhile ago, back when we were still kids and I was living in Maryland with my family


Bowie, Maryland – Summer 1988

“C’mon Josh, hurry up,” Peter Sheffield, a skinny, sandy-haired kid with blue eyes and a smattering of freckles, called to his dark-haired friend, who was lagging behind, as usual.

“It’s too hot to play baseball,” Josh Chasez complained, flicking his dark hair out of his blue eyes and adjusting the t-shirt he wore over his lanky frame, “Besides, we’re one player short – James still has the chicken pox and his mom won’t let him come play.”

“Already got it covered,” Peter assured his friend as the two quickly approached the unkempt, abandoned baseball diamond where they spent most their summer days, “Andrew said some kid just moved in next door a couple days ago and loves to play ball.”

“I hope this kid can play,” Josh grumbled, kicking at a rock and not noticing the newcomer as they approached the field and the rest of their friends.

“Quit moping, you sound like a girl,” Peter stated, rolling his eyes.

“Shut-up,” Josh returned, landing a playful punch on his best friend’s arm before turning his attention to the rest of their friends and the person that was taking James’s place for the day.

Josh thought his eyes were going to pop right out of his head. The new kid taking James’s spot was a – a girl! What was this? Girls didn’t play baseball; they took dance and piano lessons, and played with Barbie’s. Were they seriously going to let her play?

“Josh, Peter, this is Brooke McDonnell, my next door neighbor for the summer,” Andrew Dempsey announced as the two friends stood quietly studying the young girl, “Brooke, this is Josh and that’s Peter, two of my best friends.”

“Hi,” the brown-haired, brown-eyed young girl shyly replied, her full lips turned up in a smile, “I hope you don’t mind me playing with you guys, there’s not much else to do around here.”

“Tell me about it,” Peter agreed, taking an instant liking to the newcomer, “What position to you play?”

“Well I was a pitcher for my team back home, but Andrew said that you need somebody to play second base, so that’s what I’ll do,” Brooke responded, grinning as she became more relaxed.

“Yeah, Josh here is our pitcher,” Peter supplied, throwing an arm around his best friend’s shoulders, who had yet to utter a single word.

“You’re a girl!” Josh suddenly burst out as if he had just gotten his voice back. The smile instantly fell from Brooke’s face.

“So?” she challenged, crossing her arms over her developing chest.

“So? Girls don’t play baseball. You play with dolls and take ballet,” Josh explained, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Is that so? Well I just think you’re uncomfortable with the fact that I’m a girl and I can play baseball just as well as you,” Brooke spat back, her brown eyes emitting fire.

“Josh, stop being a jerk…” Peter began, but by that point in time Josh had lost all sense of reason.

“No, I just don’t want to play with someone who probably can’t throw a ball five feet and has chicken legs,” Josh retorted, glaring in her direction.

“Why, you…” Brooke sputtered.

Next thing he knew, Josh was on his back in the dirt, his right eye smarting and already beginning to swell from the strong punch Brooke had landed on his face. He lay there, dazed, regretting what he had said and wondering what on earth had gotten into him. He didn’t see Brooke run from the field, crying as storm clouds rolled in and the first of the raindrops began to fall.

I remember her
Shakin' off the dust
She could walk the walk, she was one of us
When she went away, I went down that day
Tried to cheer her up, said you won't be missin' much
All that I remember when I think of her back then
Is a fast talkin', fun lovin' girl we called a friend


May, 2005

S: That is definitely an interesting story. How on earth did you two end up falling in love? If I were her, I wouldn’t have wanted nothing to do with you from then on.

JC: Yeah, I didn’t think we’d ever end up even being friends after that. But my mom made me go apologize.

S: Oh?

JC: I had to go over her house and tell her I was sorry and that she could play baseball with us whenever she wanted. I felt really terrible about the entire thing, especially after I learned that her parents had just gotten divorced. She spent summers with her dad in Maryland, and the rest of the year in New York City with her mom.

S: That must have been tough on her growing up. And you didn’t even get to see her year-round. When did you finally realize that she was more than a friend?

JC: That’s one day I won’t ever forget. It was my eighteenth birthday party, the summer before Brooke was headed off to college and I was busy with the MMC.


Bowie, Maryland – August 1994

“Where are we going?” Josh demanded, treading carefully as Brooke led him along, blindfolded.

“You’ll see, it’s a surprise,” Brooke responded, smiling as she felt his hand squeeze her’s.

“This had better be good Brooke,” he grumbled, “This day has turned out to be awful so far. Nobody besides you has even wished me a happy birthday and I’m turning eighteen!”

“Quit your moaning Josh or I won’t give you your present,” Brooke teased as she led him across familiar ground.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” he retorted, rolling his eyes underneath the blindfold.

“Okay, stop right there and I’ll be right back,” Brooke commanded as she let go of his hand and walked away.

Josh sighed as he stood in the dim light of the fading day, tapping his foot in impatience. He wasn’t sure what Brooke was up to, but he hoped it was something good. This was the last summer they would spend in Bowie – she was headed of to New York for college and he was going to be flying back to shoot more for the MMC and hopefully get his music career off the ground.

All of a sudden, the dim light of the sun was replaced with bright lights and the boom of an announcer’s voice filled his ears, echoing throughout the place where he was.

“I’d like to welcome you to Oriole Park at Camden Yards for the celebration of Josh Chasez’s 18th birthday,” the voice, that sounded strangely like Brooke’s father, boomed.

In a flash, JC tore the blindfold off and stood there, dumbfounded as he was met with a chorus of ‘surprise!’ from his family and friends, who crowded the baseball field of his favorite team. He stood on the pitchers mound, his feet rooted to the ground, still in shock as he gazed around at the empty stadium.

“Hey birthday boy, you gonna stand there and stare all day or would you like to get some food?” Brooke suddenly questioned as she approached him a few moments later.

“This is amazing,” he sputtered as he allowed her to lead him in the direction of all the people who had come for the celebration.

“I thought you’d like it,” Brooke responded, smiling.

“Wait, this was all your idea?” he demanded, stopping short of his family and friends to stare at her in surprise.

“Guilty,” she replied, blushing.

“H…how?” was all he could manage.

“My dad is Vice President and Chief Financial Officer for the Orioles. I asked him months ago if we could do this, and he got the okay, and here we are,” Brooke explained, as if it was no big deal.

“You just told me that your dad’s job had to do with major league baseball. You didn’t tell me he practically owns the Orioles,” Josh said, eyes wide.

“He doesn’t own the Orioles, not even close,” Brooke teased, rolling her eyes, “Besides, I couldn’t have you taking advantage of me, now could I?”

“Very funny,” Josh retorted, before pulling her close in a big hug, “Thank you doll, this is the best birthday ever.”

“And you haven’t even opened your presents yet,” she softly stated, smiling as she enjoyed the embrace.

“Well how about we go get this party started then?” Josh questioned as he pulled away.

“Sounds like a great idea,” Brooke agreed, allowing him to lead her in the direction of his waiting family and friends.


A Few Hours Later

Josh smiled as he watched Brooke lying on a blanket, staring up at the stars. His parents and her dad had left a few minutes ago with the presents and leftover food packed away. The stadium lights had been shut off and Brooke had the key to lock things up once they left for good. Their parents had understood that they needed some time alone together to say their goodbyes as Brook was leaving for school in two days.

“Whatcha looking at?” Josh questioned as he sank onto the blanket next to her.

“The stars,” she simply replied, her voice filled with emotion, “Look, there’s the big dipper.” Josh obediently laid on his back next to her and looked in the direction she was pointing; as usual, he couldn’t see anything.

“I don’t see it,” he told her, deciding, instead, that he wanted to study her, a much more interesting subject.

“You’re just not looking hard enough,” she quietly replied, as she turned her face in his direction. Their lips were inches apart and Josh felt his heartbeat quicken at her nearness. Hesitantly, he leaned closer, wrapping an arm about her waist; she made no move to stop him, no words of protest.

Their lips met in a sweet, soft kiss; a melding of their two bodies at one small point. Both had been kissed before, but never had it felt like this. How could there be such sparks when they were just friends?

“I’m going to miss you Josh,” Brooke stated as they pulled apart.

“I’m going to miss you too, doll,” the young man returned, pulling her close to keep the chill of the night air away, “Promise me that we’ll keep in touch.”

“Promise,” she responded.

It was an unspoken agreement that they weren’t going to talk about that kiss. There was no point anyway. Both were moving on from Bowie, Maryland and to try and fashion a new relationship over many miles was a hardship neither was ready, nor willing to take on. Besides, they were friends first and foremost, and nothing was going to jeopardize that. Not even one very romantic kiss.

A sudden roll of thunder in the distance broke through the comfortable silence that had descended over the two. Josh sat up with a start, a confused frown written on his face. Only moments ago, the sky had been free of clouds. A storm, however, was brewing and clouds were quickly moving in to block out the moon and stars.

“We better get going,” he said to Brooke as the first raindrops began to fall.

“Good idea,” she agreed, right before the rain began to pour down.

The two of them ran from the field as fast as they could, JC attempting to hold the blanket over their heads for protection from the wet droplets. The reached the cover of the building and began to laugh at their drenched and bedraggled states.

“I think this game got called on account of the weather,” Brooke joked.

“I think you’re right,” Josh agreed, blue eyes grinning as he held her close.

It would be the last time he would do that for quite awhile.

Hey, little Suzie just got back
She’s still wearin' her baseball hat
Struck out twice and came back to sit with me
The game got called on account of the weather
The rain came down we huddled together
Thinkn' that life just couldn't get better
And when she walked away I noticed
She was lookin' back
I hope that I'm the cause of all that


May, 2005

S: Aww, that’s so adorable. I can’t believe she went through all that trouble for your birthday.

JC: I know, I couldn’t believe it either. It was one of the happiest moments of my life; especially because I got to share it with her and the rest of my family.

S: So how did you know that she was the one you wanted to spend the rest of your life with? I’m sure your relationship developed over the years following, did that have much to do with it?

JC: Actually, as much as we tried, we ended up losing touch over the next few years. It was until about two years ago – when her dad suffered a massive heart attack, that we actually caught up again.


Bowie, Maryland – June, 2003

Brooke stared out at the field where she had spent many a days of summer in her childhood, playing with the neighborhood boys, the only girl among them. This place used to bring her joy, had many fond memories, but right now, her lifeless eyes could see nothing but an old field, worn from the years, neglected by many. She had thought maybe this place would bring her a sense of peace, but she felt nothing but despair and helplessness.

Her father was in the hospital, had suffered a massive heart attack. He had undergone surgery, but the doctor’s weren’t sure that he would make it through the next couple of days due to the seriousness of the attack. She couldn’t bear the thought of life without the one parent who wasn’t too wrapped up in their job to pay her any attention.

She and her mother were currently estranged, due to circumstances that she hated to think about, but now that Jim McDonnell was in the hospital, there was no doubt that the relationship was going to change. Her mother was due out on the next plane that evening and Brooke knew that the next few days were probably going to be hell.

It was bad enough that she was thinking about moving away from her father…back to New York City where she had been offered a job – albeit a better one – by the staff of the New York Yankees. She was an executive manager of scouting for the Orioles, and apparently the Yankees had taken great interest in her work and offered to double her salary she had now. She’d be stupid to refuse, but she hated the thought of being away from her father, especially now.

Sighing, she leisurely made her way to center field, where she flopped down on the grass, not caring if she got grass stains on the worn, faded jeans and red tank top. The sandals on her feet were discarded in the grass as she stared up into the darkening sky, waiting for that first star to appear as her mind wandered.

JC felt himself staring at the figure lying on the grass in centerfield. Was it even possible that it was her? After all the years of the memory of that one kiss playing in the back of his mind, and the agonizing loss of losing touch with her, here she was, lying on the baseball field of his childhood, unaware of his presence. He felt like a voyeur, unwanted and intrusive, yet his legs seemed to have a mind of their own and quickly brought him across the field.

“Hey doll,” he softly greeted, hands in his pockets as he stood a little distance from where she lay, not wanting to scare her.

“Josh?” she demanded, quickly sitting up.

“Hey,” he sheepishly stated, glancing at the ground and not noticing the way her eyes lit up, “I was in town for the week and figured I’d stop by the old stomping ground. I never expected to…”

“I’ve missed you!” Brooke cried, interrupting his sentence as she jumped into his arms, barefoot and all, “You big stupid jerk, you never called me!”

JC couldn’t help but laugh, a rich, deep-chested sound, as he held her close. He breathed in the heady scent of lavender mixed with her own personal smell that aroused his senses. He certainly missed the days where they would spend all their time together, doing nothing and everything at the same time. How fast life moved now, to the point where he almost couldn’t catch his breath anymore.

“So what are you doing here? I would have thought you’d be in Baltimore right now,” JC questioned as the set her down and they both laid back on the grass like the used to do when they were kids, “I hear you’re some big shot with the Orioles.”

“I guess you could say that,” Brooke half-heartedly responded as she thought of her father, “My dad is in the hospital; he just had a heart attack.”

“Oh doll, I’m so sorry. Is he going to be alright?” the young man asked, leaning up on one elbow to glance in her direction. Tears were forming in her eyes and he pulled her into his arms in an instant, wanting to protect her and keep the hurt at bay.

“The doctors said they’re not sure if he’s going to make it through the next couple days. Even if he does, they said there is a huge possibility that his motor functions won’t ever be the same,” she explained, before finally giving into the tears that she had been holding back for the past week.

“Brooke, doll, I’m here for you, just let it all out,” JC said in a soothing voice as he held her close and rubbed her back in comfort.

“I can’t lose him Josh, I just can’t. He’s my dad, I don’t know what I’d do without him,” she sobbed, clutching him close as the tears coursed down her face, smearing her makeup.

“Everything is going to turn out fine, you just wait and see,” JC responded, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead.

“Promise?” she brokenly whispered; JC felt his heart break.

“Promise,” he quietly replied, wanting very badly to kiss her, but restraining the urge, not wanting to take advantage of her in this vulnerable state.

All of a sudden, a ringing cell phone interrupted their companionable silence. In a flash, Brooke had rolled out of JC arms and was digging through her purse for the ringing contraption. She answered it with a breathless hello.

“This is she…is he going to be alright?...wait, say that again…oh my god, thank you so much…I’ll be there in about fifteen minutes…yes, thank you.”

“Good news?” JC questioned with a laugh when she hung up and tackled him to the ground.

“The best. They said my dad is doing a lot better than they thought he would do, and there is a good possibility that he will fully recover,” Brooke exclaimed as she held him tight.

“That’s wonderful,” JC returned, leaning forward to place a friendly kiss on her cheek.

At the last moment, however, Brooke turned her face in his direction and their lips met. Both were surprised at the sudden contact, yet neither made a move to pull away. Hesitantly, JC began to kiss her, his heart aching for some sort of positive response from her.

Just when he thought that kissing her was a mistake, Brooke wound her hands in his hair and opened her mouth to his. With a groan, JC slipped his tongue inside and it danced and erotic dance with her’s. The young man pulled her closer, one arm wrapped around her head, keeping it in place, the other dangled tightly about her waist, as if afraid she was going to disappear right in front of him.

“Josh…” Brooke breathlessly trailed off the minute they broke apart.

“I’m not going to apologize; I’ve wanted to do that for so long doll,” JC murmured, not caring if she got angry, “Ever since that one kiss we shared all those years ago, I haven’t been able to get you off my mind.”

“Silly man,” Brooke teased, her eyes lighting up, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Well I was embarrassed because we lost touch, and then I heard that you got engaged, so I thought for sure there was no chance of us ever being together,” JC began as he held her close.

“Well that engagement is done and over with, so ask me now,” Brooke abruptly stated, confusing JC.

“What? Ask you what?” he questioned.

“Ask me to be your girlfriend,” she simply replied; JC felt his eyes widen in shock at the bold statement before he grinned.

“Brooke, doll, be my girlfriend,” he lazily drawled.

“Yes,” she simply responded before capturing his lips in a soul-searing kiss that shook their world.


Two Years Later

“Josh, where on earth are you taking me?” Brooke grumbled as she allowed him to lead her along, blindfolded like she had done to him all those years ago for his birthday.

“Just shut up and you’ll see,” he gently told her.

“But I don’t wanna shut up,” she whined, grinning as he laughed.

“Well you better or else I’ll find a way to shut you up myself,” he warned; she shivered as a million thoughts raced through her mind from that statement.

“That could be quite enjoyable…” she began before his lips crashed over his and she was forced into silence.

A few moments later, as they came up for air, Brooke realized that the blindfold had been removed and that she stood in the middle of the baseball field from their childhood. Only it didn’t quite look the same.

At home plate sat wrought-iron chairs and a matching table, set with a tablecloth and candles. Food was piled on the dishes, all of Brooke’s favorites, as music played softly from a CD player a little distance away from the table. In the dim light of the fading day, Brooke felt tears well up into her eyes as she took everything in.

“You did this for me?” she questioned, shocked.

“Just for you doll, happy anniversary,” JC responded, smiling as he gently led her to the table and sat her down, “I hope you’re hungry.”

“Starving,” she replied, grinning as they began to eat, “And since when did you become such a hopeless romantic? I thought that was my job.”

“I think you’re starting to have an effect on me,” he responded as he poured them each a glass of wine.

“Is that bad?” she asked, grinning saucily at him.

“It’s bad if you expect me to be prince charming every day of the week,” he replied, rolling his eyes.

“You may not be prince charming, but that’s part of the reason I love you so much,” Brooke revealed, her eyes shining with love for the handsome man who sat across the table from her.

Minutes turned to hours as the two of them enjoyed each other’s company and the great food JC had provided for them. As the midnight hour approached and the two of them sat staring up at the stars JC felt his heartbeat quicken as he thought of what he was about to do. But nothing had ever felt so right before.

A rumble of thunder, however, interrupted his thoughts and he almost groaned aloud. It just had to rain, didn’t it? It seemed every time he was with Brooke and on a baseball field, it would rain.

“I think it’s going to rain,” Brooke announced as she rolled to her feet and began to walk back towards home plate where everything sat packed and ready to be put back in JC’s car.

“Wait,” he began as he grabbed her hand to stop her.

“What’s wrong?” Brooke immediately questioned as she noticed how strained her boyfriend’s expression seemed to be.

“Nothing is wrong. Well, nothing that can’t be fixed,” he began as the first few drops of rain began to fall on them, “Brooke, I have loved you since before I can remember, and there is nobody else I would rather spend the rest of my life with.”

“Josh…?”

“Will you marry me Brooke?” JC finally choked out as he dropped to one knee in front of her, the rain coming down and drenching the two of them, who were quite unaware of that fact.

“Yes, yes I’ll marry you,” she practically yelled, a grin lighting her face.

He slipped the ring on her finger before scooping her into his arms and kissing her with all the passion that was in his soul for her. Rain soaked them, but they didn’t care, they only had eyes for each other.

“You’re soaked,” Brooke stated a few minutes later, giggling at the cute picture he presented; his clothes were stuck to his body, molding to his well-defined muscles.

“So are you,” he responded, grinning, “But I certainly don’t mind. Baseball, raindrops and you are all my favorite things.”


And there you have it folks. Isn’t he such a romantic? I’m sure you are all swooning by now, and wishing that your prince charming would come riding up to sweep you off your feet. But I guess all we can do is wish this prince charming and his lady all the best.


Get the lyrics here



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki