Somebody by reneeden32


Number of reviews: 2
Print: Printer

- Text Size +


Author's Notes:

This one was really fun to write.  It wrote itself, really.  As always, feedback is appreciated verily.  I thrive on some good constructive criticism!  *grin*

Oh, and a side note:  If you haven't heard the song used, I recommend that you download it and give it a listen . . . just because it totally kicks butt.  Seriously, we're talking the kind of good that makes your skin crawl.  "Somebody Love Me" is from Michael W. Smith's 1992 album Change Your World.

Thanks for the read!

Award update:  This little ditty won an award for Best Lance over at the Satisfaction Awards!  Sweetness!

Based on and containing the song “Somebody Love Me” as performed by Michael W. Smith

 

 

Samantha stretched, then reached out to straighten the beach towel underneath her.

The movement disturbed the golden retriever at her side and he raised his head to check on her.

She smiled, reaching out to scratch behind Jack’s ears.

“It’s okay, Jack.  Lay back down.”

The dog obeyed, shifting so that he was closer to her, laying his head down on her thigh and closing his eyes, heaving a doggie sigh as he got comfortable.

She ran her hand over his head a few times, making his tail wag slowly as he drifted back into sleep.

She leaned back on her elbows, raising a hand to lift the sunglasses from her eyes.

The beach was relatively calm today, all the kids having started back to school the week before.

She was grateful for the peace.

She let her eyes wander out over the ocean, starting with the light green water washing up on the shore and moving out to the deep blue water on the horizon.

It was a beautiful day, with just the right number of clouds to keep the sun from being too warm.

She looked around her, taking in the other beach patrons.

On her left, quite a distance away, a young couple were sunbathing.

She saw the paleness of their skin, the obviously new swim wear. 

The sun glinted off the rings on the woman’s left hand.

Newlyweds, probably.  On their honeymoon.

Sam smiled as the guy’s hand moved to rest on his partner’s back, gently massaging the muscles traveling down her spine.

Yep.  Definitely newlyweds.

She turned her head, looking down the beach in the other direction.

An older pair had just arrived and were setting up beach chairs, a picnic basket and cooler lying in the sand at their feet.

The older man leaned down, picking up a large beach umbrella and stepping back, working it into the ground.

He succeeded, moving forward to pull the woman’s chair so that it would be completely under the shade, leaving only enough room for half of his own chair.

The woman looked up from spreading out a large cloth on the sand, smiling as she said something to him, holding out her hand for his.

He squeezed her hand, saying something to her and kissing her cheek.

The woman’s face beamed as she spoke in return, her attitude showing in the movement of her head as she spoke.

He laughed and settled himself down on the cloth, reaching for the picnic basket and pulling out their lunch.

Sam smiled again, turning her eyes back to Jack.

His nose was twitching, his feet moving slightly, evidence of whatever chase was invading his dreams.

“Do you ever catch it, Jack?  Or does whatever it is that you’re chasing always get away?”

She spoke softly, combing her fingers through the fur on his back.

He sighed in his sleep, shifting so that his paw was resting across her leg.

She patted him one last time, then brought her hands up to tuck her short black hair behind her ears.

The sun came out from behind a cloud and she pulled her sunglasses back down on her nose, shielding her blue eyes from the bright rays.

Her gaze traveled back to the newlyweds and she could hear her grandmother’s voice in her head.

“You’re too pretty of a girl to be single at your age.”

She smiled, shaking her head, just as she did whenever her grandma started up on the topic.

She was twenty-five and, according to her family, a beautiful girl.

She’d graduated from NYU with an MBA in Accounting.  In the words of her father, she was one smart cookie.

So, she could see how her family wouldn’t understand her seemingly endless single status.

To be honest, she didn’t really understand it, either.

She looked down at herself, doing a quick summation of her physical appearance.

She wasn’t pencil-thin, but she was far from being thick. 

She was well-toned, muscular -- the result of being an avid runner.  Two miles with Jack every morning except Sundays.

She had a healthy appetite, never depriving herself of the much-needed chocolate every now and again.

She closed her eyes, trying to picture her own face.

She could see her strong chin, full lips, button nose, rounded cheeks, large blue eyes and black hair.

Overall, she didn’t think that it was a bad picture.

She’d transferred down to Orlando from her position at an office in Boston ten months ago, taking advantage of the promotion and moving to a more tropical climate.

She had enjoyed the pay raise and the sunshine.

Jack had enjoyed the up-scale dog biscuits and their trips to the beach.

She lay back on the blanket, using a second towel as a pillow.

She kept her eyes closed, reaching down to bury her hand in Jack’s warm fur, letting the other rest across her stomach.

For the last ten months, it’d just been her and Jack.

And the dreams.

Well, it was one dream, really, coming to her again and again.

Making her want more.

She thought of the two couples and knew what she was missing.

She wanted someone who made her feel secure and loved.

She wanted someone who would make her feel like a teenager even when she was in her sixties.

She sighed, thinking of the dream that made her feel so . . . warm while she was asleep, only to leave her cold upon awakening.

Leaving her alone and lonely.

Leaving her in her reality.

She had herself.  And Jack.

No one else.

She could never remember details of her dream world, the images vanishing immediately, leaving her with only impressions of music being played and that pleasant feeling.

She felt Jack get to his feet, turning around so that his head was on her shoulder, her arm trapped under him as her hand stayed curled in the fur on his side.

She listened to his deep breathing, felt it against her side.

She relaxed, taking comfort in the presence of the canine companion at her side.

Minutes later, the fingers of a deep sleep were closing around her mind.

And she entered her dream world yet again . . .

 

The walls were white and the floor was a black and white tile.

A foggy mist swirled around her feet, rising as she moved.

She could feel herself moving, dancing to the song that only existed in her dreams.

Counting every moment
Biding all my time
Standing out here on my own
Searching for that someone
To heal this heart of mine
And keep me from being alone
But when will it be
And how will I know
I don't want to wait here forever

She was aware of the skirt swirling around her legs as she danced, of the dampness of the mist on her skin.

She stepped and turned, one hand cutting a thin path through the mist as she moved.

Alone.  Always alone.

Left to dance by herself to the haunting melody that was everywhere, but nowhere.

She felt the tear streaming down her cheek, the emptiness that filled her soul almost choking in its intensity.

She closed her eyes and danced on, lost in the music that played just for her.

Somebody love me
Come and carry me away
Somebody need me
To be the blue in their gray
Somebody want me
The way I've always dreamed it could be
Won't somebody love me, love me

Her eyes flew open, an uneasy awareness making her tense.

Suddenly, she knew.

She wasn’t alone.

She could feel it.

He was there, moving through the mist.

She sensed his movements through the room, seeming to circle around her.

She turned slowly, straining to see through the mist.

Desperately trying to see him, to place him.

The dream man who came to her time and again.

She felt him step close to her, the whisper of a touch as he reached for her.

A feeling of warmth, a hint of a smile.
 
And then, he danced with her.

I'm waiting for somebody
To dance across the floor
Sweeping me off of my feet
I'm looking for the right one
To open up that door
And offer me a tender retreat
It's like wanting to sing
But needing a song
When will I hear the music playing?

They danced perfectly together, their movements complementary to each other.

As though they knew exactly what the other was thinking, feeling.

He twirled her around the floor, moving fluidly with the music.

She tried her hardest to see him, straining her eyes into the mist.

She could feel his arms around her, drawing her closer to him, dispelling the emptiness she’d felt earlier.

Giving her hope, security.

She felt his lips against her temple, pressing light kisses along her hairline.

She felt his hand in her hair.

“Who are you?”  She questioned softly.  “Do I know you?”

She felt rather than heard his whispered response, then his laugh rang through her, not meeting her ears but touching her nonetheless.

Yet, he still remained hidden to her eyes, shrouded by the mist.

Somebody love me
Come and carry me away
Somebody need me
To be the blue in their gray
Somebody want me
The way I've always dreamed it could be
Won't somebody love me, love me

Her right hand came up, the silver ring on her middle finger flashing as her movement cut a brief path through the mist, the sensations telling her that her fingertips were tracing the side of his face.

She felt a fullness, a warmth in her hand, and she knew that he’d turned his head, allowing her to cup his cheek.

She listened to the music, dread setting in when she realized it was coming to an end.

Another tear slipped down her face, knowing that he would be gone, lost with the melody.

Leaving her with only a slight memory, an impression.

Alone again.

“Don’t go.”  She heard herself speak, her voice shaking.  “Don’t leave me.”

She could feel his response, a sad wave of warmth through her body as he wiped away the tear.

And then he was kissing her, his arms holding her to him.

She felt the completion in her mind, her body and her soul.

The warmth covered her from head to toe.

Her eyes closed as she gave herself over to her invisible partner, loving him with everything she had.

He pulled away and she reached out for him, desperation clawing at her as the emptiness began to take root again.

“Wait.”

He touched her hand and images started flashing before her, her first glimpses of him.

His smiling eyes, green as the ocean water at the shore.

His smile, honest and caring.

His hands, strong and gentle.

She heard his laugh, soft and deep.

And then he was gone.

Vanished into the mist again, leaving her standing still.

Alone.

Her breath hitched as awareness settled over her again.

No, he wasn’t gone.

He was still there.

She could still feel him, somewhere in the room, waiting.

“Where are you?”

She spoke softly, turning in a circle, her voice piercing the silence.

A feeling of patience washed over her, and she knew.

He was close, patiently waiting.

Waiting for her.

She turned slowly, trying to see through the thickening fog.

Where once there had been haunting music, she heard crashing waves.

The tile floor disappeared, leaving her standing on powdery white sand, pure as snow.

Somewhere, she heard a dog barking . . .

 

Sam jerked awake, sitting straight up on the blanket.

She shivered, the emptiness that she felt making her skin crawl.

She looked around quickly, blinking as her eyes focused behind her sunglasses.

The sun still shone brightly, but the couples were gone, having left nothing but traces in the sand to mark that they’d been there at all.

She stretched, wincing as her muscles loosened and relaxed.

Her hand came down to her side, expecting to feel the warmth of Jack’s fur.

She looked down when her fingers sank into the sand.

She froze, suddenly realizing how alone she was.

“Jack?”

She called out for the dog, certain that he would come bounding out of one of the dunes.

She dropped her sunglasses to the blanket, standing when he didn’t jump out immediately.

She looked up and down the beach, searching for him.

But he was nowhere to be found.

“Jack!  Here boy!”

She called again, clapping her hands and whistling to get him to come.

She stood for a moment, searching, listening.

And then she heard it.

Jack’s bark.

She kicked off her sandals, walking quickly down the beach toward the sound.

As she moved, he barked again and she recognized that there wasn’t any urgency in the sound.

She slowed her pace, smiling.

It was late afternoon.

He’d probably found a child to play with.

Or perhaps he’d found some unfortunate beach birds to terrorize.

She came to the top of the hill and looked down, smiling when she found Jack running back from the water, holding a stick in his teeth, his leash trailing behind him.

She watched as he brought the stick back to a guy standing in the sand and dropped it, barking eagerly, waiting to fetch again.

The guy crouched down, rubbing Jack’s head and neck with both hands, sending the dog’s tail into overdrive.

“Jack!”

She called out again, jogging down the hill, taking care not to hit any stones with her bare feet.

Jack turned, barking happily as she came closer, dancing in a circle.

She dropped to her knees in the sand, clapping her hands.

“Come here, boy.”

The dog bounded to her and she hugged him around the neck.

“You had me worried, you crazy dog.”

Jack yipped again, licking her hand in apology.

She laughed, scratching behind his ears.

“Okay, you’re forgiven.”

She saw the shadow over her and looked up, shading her eyes from the sun as she squinted at the male outline.

“I’m sorry.  I fell asleep and he must have gotten restless.”

He knelt down, petting the dog’s back.

“No problem.  He’s a great dog.”

“I hope he didn’t bother you.”

“Not at all.  He just woke me up a few minutes ago.”  He scratched under Jack’s chin.  “You were ready to play, weren’t you, boy?”

He grinned as the dog yipped before moving away, pouncing on something invisible moving through the sand.

She tilted her head as the sun moved behind a cloud, allowing her to see him fully.

He’d been smiling down at Jack, but raised his head as the dog moved away, allowing their eyes to meet.

An eerie sense of familiarity rushed through her, as though there was something there, something she couldn’t quite grasp.

The air rushed out of her lungs, unexpected images flashing though her mind.

His smiling eyes, green as the ocean water at the shore.

His smile, honest and caring.

“Wow.”

His voice met her ears, interrupting her thoughts, sending the images scurrying away as suddenly as they had appeared.

She blinked quickly, jerking herself back to the present.

“I’m sorry.  What did you say?”

He visibly checked himself when she spoke, lifting his eyes back to hers.

“Oh, I don’t . . .”  He trailed off, shaking his head.  “Have we met before?”

“I . . . I don’t think so.”  She studied him again.  “Have we?”

“I don’t know.”  His eyes trailed over her again.  “It feels like I should know you from somewhere, but I can’t figure out why.”

He stood, holding out a hand to help her up.

She stared at his hand, another image flashing though her mind.

His hands, strong and gentle.

Jack barked, playing with something in the water, the sound bringing her back to reality.

“Are you okay?”

She looked up, suddenly aware that his hand was still extended toward her.

“Oh, yeah.  Sorry.”

She grasped his hand, trying to ignore the familiar feeling of his touch.

She let him pull her up as she fought to gather her senses, her eyes tracing over his face, the images flashing in her mind again.

Suddenly, it came crashing down on her and she knew.

She could see the dream, clear as day, from beginning to end.

But it couldn’t be.  It just couldn’t.  He didn’t exist.

It was only a dream.

A man in a dream.

There was no way he could be real.

“Okay, Sam, you’re really losing it.”  She spoke quietly before her eyes trailed over his face again, trying to ignore the sudden urge to run her fingers along his jaw.

He looked up, his attention drawn by her whisper.

“Sam?  Is that your name?”

She nodded.  “Samantha, actually.  Samantha Cardin.”

“Samantha.”  He repeated the name softly, as though trying it out, a smile spreading across his features.  “Sam.  That sounds right.”

“What sounds right?”

He laughed softly, the familiar sound warming her, yet sending a shiver running down her spine.

“You’re going to think I’m crazy, Sam . . . but I think we have met before.”

She shook her head in a weak denial.  “It’s not possible.  I don’t even know your name.”

“Lance.  My name is Lance.”  His voice was distracted, his eyes traveling down to their still joined hands.

She saw the uncertain smile on his face, and turned her gaze downward, following the path his eyes were taking.

Her eyes came to rest on the fingers being held gently in his grasp.

He swallowed hard, his thumb tracing over the silver band on the middle finger of her right hand.

He caressed the metal repeatedly, as though checking to make sure that the ring was really there, that it wasn’t going to vanish if he looked away.

He brought his eyes back up to her face, his gaze questioning before raising his hand up to run his fingers through her hair.

Her eyes closed and she relaxed, leaning into the familiar touch, barely restraining the sigh that rose in the back of her throat.

He began humming, the sound absently escaping from his throat, and her eyes flew open, her disbelief evident in her wide eyes.

“How did . . .”  Her voice trailed off when his fingers rested against her lips.

“It haunts me.  Night and day.  The melody.  The moves.  The touches.”  His hand moved, his fingers tracing over her cheek.  “The tears.”  He sighed.  “The words that I can feel, but I can’t hear.  It’s all there.”

Her eyes widened and her lips parted, but no words came forth.

She watched as his eyes skipped over her face, studying her as carefully as he would if he were memorizing every nuance, every line.

Tentatively, she brought her hand up, her fingers trembling as she touched his face, tracing the line from his ear to his jaw and back again.

He sighed and turned his face, his movement causing her hand to cup his cheek.

Just as she’d known he would.

“Oh, my God . . .”

A smile spread across his face as he heard the wonder in her voice.

Jack, who had been sitting, quietly watching from a few yards away, chose that moment to dash forward, knocking into the backs of her legs as he chased after yet another invisible play thing.

She fell forward and Lance put his arms around her, pulling her into his chest to keep her from knocking them both to the ground.

He could feel her breath catch at the contact and he raised his hand, pushing aside the curtain of black hair covering her face, tucking it behind her ear before resting his fingers against her neck.

“This feels familiar.”

His voice rumbled through her and she closed her eyes, reveling in the memory.

He pulled back slightly, tilting his head down to see her face.

“There’s one more thing, Sam.  I need to be sure.”

She looked up, catching the movement as his eyes skipped from her lips to her eyes and back again, silently asking for her permission.

She took a deep breath and nodded, her eyes closing as she felt him moving closer, making quick work of the distance between them until his lips finally met with hers.

It was just as she remembered . . . everything from his touch, to the overwhelming sense of completion, to her inability to deny him what he asked . . . it was deja vu, an exact replica of her dreams.

Only, this time . . . it was real.

He was real.

She could see him, from head to toe.

She could touch him, her fingers moving from the sides of his face to the back of his neck, sliding into the short hair there.

She could hear him, his deep voice, his soft laughter, the comforting sounds of his breathing.

Most importantly, he was here, with her.

After all this time, he was here.

He pulled back, taking a moment to catch his breath before tightening his arms around her.

“That was better than I remember.”  He chuckled softly. 

She leaned comfortably into his chest, allowing a sigh to escape as his fingers combed through her hair.

Her eyes opened and she tilted her head back, fixing her gaze on his face.

“It’s you.”  She spoke quietly, tracing her finger slowly along the smile lines under his eyes.  “It’s really you.”

“It’s me.”  He smiled, reaching up to take her hand in his, bringing it down to hold it against his chest. 

“I’ve been waiting for you, Sam.”



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki