Delicate situation by Liz


Number of reviews: 3
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Chapter One

Slamming the car door JC didn’t bother to push the lock button on his key pad. So what if his car got stolen? Just one more thing to add to a long list of reasons why he was living in pure hell. Reaching up to pull his sunglasses over his tired eyes he cursed the sun for being out that day. Why couldn’t mother nature just agree with his mood? Is it too much to ask for a dark and gloomy Los Angeles day? He didn’t think so, the universe had dealt him one hell of a hand, the least they could do is match the day with his mood.

He reached for the metal handle pulling open the glass door to the law office. Slowly walking over to the elevator he pushed the down button and took a small step back. He had to smirk at the thought of going to his divorce settlement in the basement of the building. It was only appropriate that a law office be the “down” button on an evaluator. The numbers above the elevator caught his eye as they moved from the 11th floor up to the 18. Just fantastic, event the elevator was going against him.

He waited patiently glancing around the room at the modern décor around the lobby. Glancing behind him he watched the people scurrying around as if they were in the offices of the New York times. It felt odd to watch everyone as they rushed to make deadlines since he himself had no sense of urgency . The elevator finally dinged and stepped into the small room and pushed the number for his floor. The doors opened and he cautiously stepped out and made his way over to the black and green marble desk beside the elevator.

“Good morning, Can I help you sir?” The smile on her face annoyed JC but he forced his face to form a smile before resting his arm on the desk.

“ I’m here for a meeting with Jessica Cha- umm, “ he paused trying to figure out what to call her. It’s a simple concept to most people, call her by her name. But what was her name? Was she still Jessica Chasez? Or should he simply call her his Ex-Wife? He hadn’t considered running into such a stupid dilemma and now he stood dumbfounded because some asked him his own wife’s name!

EX-Wife. EX Wife. She’s not his wife anymore and he was going to have to get used to that.

“ What was your name sir?” The young blonde broke his train of thought and it took him a second to respond to her.

 

“ Oh, I’m sorry, Chasez, Josh Chasez.” She nodded and typed something into the computer before smiling brightly at him and pointing down the hall to the left.

“ They’re waiting for you in the 3rd conference room on your right.” He nodded and turned quickly on his heel and made his way towards the room.

What did that mean anyway? ‘They’re waiting for you’ He wasn’t late. Far from it, he was actually early. For once in his life he wasn’t rushing. Then again no one really wants to rush into their divorce settlement meeting.

Twisting the door knob he pushed the heavy door open and noticed his lawyer sitting on one side of the long black table. Paper’s neatly folded in front of him and a pitcher of water with 2 glasses sat in the middle of the table dividing it evenly down the middle.

And the separation begins. She has her side of the table and he has his.

Slowly approaching the table JC watched as the opposing lawyer stood to shake his hand. Slowly he placed his hand into the much older man’s refusing to allow his hands to tremble.

What was he so nervous about? This was a divorce settlement! Like the opening scene of that movie Wedding Crashers. Except at this one there was no Vince Vaughn or Owen Wilson to break the tension with a few jokes and trip down memory lane, reminding them of the love they once mutually felt for one another. Now all that was between them was a bowl full of animosity, and he was willing to bet their lawyers were more than ready to spoon feed each other with it.

Finally settling in his seat he let his eyes fall on her. She was dressed in all black and a box of tissues in front of her. He should of known she’d put on a show for everyone, squeezing out every last crocodile tear she could to ensure her at least half of his bank account. He only prayed his lawyer could handle the conniving bi- woman.

His lawyer cleared his throat and pulled out a stack of papers from a small red folder he had placed in front of him.

“Let’s make this as easy as possible. Your client signed a prenuptial agreement which clearly states she is to receive nothing more than 2,000 dollars a month for the first year of their separation if the marriage should terminate less than 1 year from the date of the ceremony. According to their marriage certificate which was filled 3 days before actual ceremony on March 23rd 2006 which clearly falls into less than the one year mark.” JC couldn’t believe that the fact that his marriage had been an ultimate failure and only lasted less than a year He would save himself from giving her any more than 2,000 a month

Wasting no time in pulling out a stack of papers of his own Jessica‘s lawyer placed on the table. The paper’s hit the black marble with a thud bringing his attention away from documents and to the man’s face.

“ Mrs. Chasez lawyer had an emergency and was unable to attend this morning. She did how ever fax over a few things I believe you’d be very interested to read. We’d like to reschedule for a more convenient time.” Moving to take the papers JC watched as his lawyer’s eye’s grew wider by the second. He glanced back at Jessica who held a small smirk on her face.

Uh oh. This is not good . Not good at all.

“ We are unsure of Mrs. Chasez’s lawyers current situation and therefore we can not reschedule for her as of yet. I’ll be sure to have her call you and set up a date very near in the future. “ JC looked over at the man sitting next to Jessica. His face gave off a look of sympathy as if he knew how this would end, as if he knew she would get everything she wanted and leave JC with nothing.

Turning his head JC waited for his lawyer to respond to the man’s comments. He just sat in silence reading over the paper’s in hands over and over again. ‘SAY SOMETHING!’ JC wanted to scream at the absurdity of the situation.

“ Alright. Have her call my secretary with a few different dates for options and we’ll pick one that best for all of us.” JC let out a long sigh after his lawyer finally responded. Thank god. Maybe there was a bit of hope left. Everyone stood at once from the table and briefly shook hands before JC was up and running to the door. He couldn’t get out of that room fast enough. His lawyer was hot on his tail and pushed the ‘close door’ button on the elevator a few times before the doors finally complied with his request.

“ So, I’m guessing whatever those paper’s say is not good.” JC said looking down at the shorter man.

“ It’s not terrible, We just might need to bring in reinforcements.” He said as they stepped out of the elevators and made their way across the busy lobby.

“Reinforcements?” JC asked. He nodded and pulled out his phone punching in a few numbers.

“ Serenity? It’s me James. I’m going to need to call in that favor…..no it’s a divorce case…..okay, how soon can you meet with us?….tomorrow’s not good, how about tonight?…..Doesn’t matter, my client has no time frame…..perfect, we’ll see you later…thanks….bye” He snapped the phone shut and pushed open the glass doors.

“ She said she’ll meet with us tonight at 11:30.” He said stopping at his car.

“ Who is she?” JC asked baffled by what had just taken place. His own top notch lawyer just called in for help as if he’s in way over his head with this case, and that scares the shit out of JC.

“She’s one of the best, if not THE best. She’ll know how to get us out of this mess.” Mess? They were in a mess? Not more than an hour ago things were looking great, now they’re calling in for backup? What the hell is on those papers?

“What exactly is on those papers?” JC asked as James opened the door to his black Ferrari and sat down at the drivers seat. He roared on the engine and shut his door rolling down the window before placing his Gucci sunglasses over his face.

“ Nothing to be concerned with. She’s trying to claim spousal abandonment, she’s got nothing. I just want to make sure we cover all possible bases on this one. Better safe than sorry. “ He grinned at JC before putting the car in reverse and shooting out of the parking lot.

I’m sorry, did he just say spousal abandonment? Seriously?



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki