Welcome To My Life (Sequel to Stronger Together With You) by Leeann


Number of reviews: 33
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Dallas TX
Days Later

Nancy cautiously stepped off the airplane and into the terminal. She looked around and hoped she would recognize whoever Justin had sent to pick her up. She hated feeling this unsure of herself, but right now it was the only thing she could feel except despair. She watched every one else that was on her flight meeting people that they knew.

It made her feel lonely. Ever since she'd been kicked out she'd found herself lost in her mind. She tried not to dwell on the fact that she was basically homeless. She carried every thing she owned with her on this trip.

Standing tall she inhaled deeply and made her way to the baggage claim. She was going to be a mother soon, it was time to start being independent.

~*~

Justin cursed under his breath as he looked around the busy terminal. He couldn't see Nancy anywhere. He went to check the baggage claim and to his relief he saw her retrieving two large bags. He went to her side and took them from her.

"You shouldn't be lifting those in your condition."

"Excuse me?" Nancy said surprised by the sudden masculine assistance.

"These bags are too big for a young pregnant woman to be carrying herself. Come on, let's go. I have to get back before anyone notices I'm gone." Justin answered.

Nancy nodded and followed Justin to the car he'd borrowed. "They don't know you're gone?" she asked after they'd gotten into the car.

"Nope, I just borrowed a car and came. If they found out I went somewhere that busy without security they'd be pissed. I can do it when I'm not on tour, but when I am on tour it's a big no no." Justin answered.

"Does Shelby know I'm coming?" Nancy asked.

"No, it's kind of a surprise." Justin answered.

"Oh. Will she want me?" Nancy wondered.

"Of course she will. She loves you Nancy. You may not be blood related, but she does consider you a sister. Do you have the papers Sylvia was supposed to prepare?" Justin asked.

"Yeah, I have them right here." Nancy answered patting her bag.

"Good. We'll talk to Shelby tonight after the show and get things started. Right now we'll go back to the hotel so you can get settled into the suite you'll be sharing with Shelby. She has a suite because of the girls, that way if she wants to put them to bed she can and stay up and do whatever. After that we'll go to the show and hopefully I'm not late for sound check." Justin explained.

"Sounds good." Nancy nodded.

They spent the rest of the trip in a comfortable silence until they got to the hotel. They unloaded her bags into Shelby's room then went back down to the car to make it to the arena before Justin's sound check.

They made it back with a mere five minutes to spare. Justin wanted to be there when Nancy surprised Shelby so he had her hide out in his dressing room until after his set.

Nancy sat on his couch and vowed not to leave the room and to hide if anyone other than himself was to come in. She wanted to comment that he was going through a lot of trouble to surprise Shelby, but she decided against it as she didn't really know him well enough.

She heard a little squeal outside the door behind her and smiled when she heard Shelby call out to her little girl. The door knob rattled and Nancy leaped to her feet. She looked around and realized there was really no place to hide. She lowered herself to the floor between the couch and wall farthest from the door and threw a blanket on top of herself. She knew she must look really stupid trying to hide, but Justin was very clear in his request.

"Danielle-Nicole Murphy get over here right now. Stay out of Justin's dressing room." Shelby's voice drifted to her.

Nancy longed to go out and talk to her, but she forced herself to stay still. She heard a masculine voice outside the door talking to her then the door opened and closed.

"Are you still in here Nancy?" Justin asked quietly.

"Yeah. I had to make a dive, Danielle was playing with the door and trying to get in." she answered struggling to stand up.

Justin grabbed her hand and pulled her up. "Are you ready to go surprise the troops?" Justin asked.

"Yeah, what's going on?" Nancy asked.

"We're all going to Applebee's to grab some chow." Justin answered.

"Okay." Nancy nodded.

"Don't worry, I'll buy." Justin assured her as if reading her thoughts.

"I hate being a burden." Nancy sighed.

"Well I don't think you're a burden and I doubt Shelby would either. Come on, let's go." Justin held the door for her and exited behind her.

Justin had purposely waited until Shelby left to leave the room with Nancy. He'd already called ahead and reserved a table for everyone to avoid a repeat of the Hard Rock.

"Did everyone else leave already?" Nancy asked noting the silence.

"Yeah, I told them I"d meet them there. Mike will walk with us because it's just down the street." Justin answered.

"Okay sounds good." Nancy nodded.

They found Mike waiting for them at the back stage entrance where he reminded Justin to throw on his sunglasses so he would be less recognizable.

Shelby sat at a table with her back to the door at one of her favorite restaurants. They were waiting for Justin and apparently one other person as there was another chair open next to her.

Danielle was on her left side and Grace on the other side of Danielle next to her favorite uncle JC. The two empty chairs were right next to her and right across from her. She was helping Danielle with her crayons when she felt Justin enter the room. She immediately recognized the familiar scent of cologne that could only be described as the pure male that is Justin. He chose the seat across from her and sat down. She felt butterflies in her stomach when their eyes met briefly. She quickly looked away and focused on her daughter. She was so focused on ignoring Justin that she didn't notice the young girl slide into the empty chair next to her.

Nancy witnessed the interaction between Justin and Shelby first hand and knew immediately that Shelby was still in love with the older man. She wondered how long she would sit there before Shelby finally noticed her. She normally would have said hello, but it was amusing this way too.

Shelby placed her order with the waitress who stood waiting for them then turned to her right and saw who was sitting there. Her jaw dropped unattractively as she stared at Nancy.

"Flies are gonna get in." Nancy smiled.

"Oh my god! What are you doing here?" Shelby asked feeling tears roll down her cheeks. Seeing a familiar face was the very thing she needed to cheer her up.

"Justin brought me. I'll explain more later." Nancy said with an ear to ear grin.

"God I missed you," Shelby said hugging her tightly.

"I missed you too." Nancy laughed hugging the older woman.

They sat down and Shelby kept crying. She couldn't seem to stem the flow of tears.

"Why you cry mama?" Danielle asked.

"Mama's just happy." Shelby smiled at her daughter. "If you'll excuse me I need to visit the ladies room."

Shelby took leave and made her way to the bathroom praying the whole way that it was a private one person bathroom. She needed to get a hold of emotions as there was no real reason she was crying.

She found the bathroom and to her relief it was a private bathroom. She pushed open the door and locked it behind her then looked in the mirror and sighed. Her eyeliner was starting to smear and run down her cheeks in twin black streaks. She inhaled deeply and willed herself to calm down. She heard a knock on the door and rolled her eyes.

"I'm in here." she answered.

"It's me. Are you okay?" Justin asked.

Shelby reluctantly opened the door and let him in. She didn't want to look up at him as she knew she would be mesmerized if she did. She was finding it harder as every day passed to fight her feelings for him.

"Look at me, Shelby." Justin pleaded softly.

Dammit.

When he used that tone of voice she would do anything for him.

Shelby reluctantly brought her eyes up to meet his and tried to smile but failed.

"What do you want Justin?" She asked almost bitterly.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay. You've been in here for ten minutes." Justin answered his hands forcefully remaining in his pockets. He wanted to take her in his arms wipe away her tears and just comfort her.

"I meant that in a different way, but never mind. Thank you for bringing Nancy here. I really needed it. It's been a long few days." Shelby answered ringing her hands together as if she was nervous or anxious.

Justin's hands came out of his pockets when he saw the signs of a panic attack building. He gently took her hands in his and gazed in her eyes. "You have to calm down or you're five minutes from a panic attack. Please just breath." he whispered bringing his hands up to cup her face. He gently wiped away her tears with his thumbs and smiled at her.

Shelby felt every touch with butterflies in her stomach. She cursed herself mentally because she knew she had to get over this infatuation before it turned into something more. She ignored the silent voice in her head that reminded her she was already in love with him.

Shelby felt her arms move up to encircle his neck and pulled him close. She closed her eyes and savored the feeling of being in his arms. She whispered a slight thank you then pulled back to look into his eyes.

She found nothing there but sincerity. She smiled and turned toward the sink and started the water. She wet a paper towel and cleaned up the black streaks. She was tempted to just wipe off all her eye make up but then it would be obvious that she had been crying.

"I'm okay now." she said inhaling deeply.

"Good." Justin nodded then opened the door.

He let Shelby go in front of him then went into the more appropriate men's bathroom.

He shut the door behind him and leaned on the sink. He was getting himself in deep with Shelby. He had to stop being around her before he did something they might both regret later. He waited several minutes before going out to join the others.

Shelby sat down next to Nancy and assured everyone she was okay. They all talked for a few minutes before their food came and they all ate.

Shelby was subdued as she walked back to the venue with the others. She had to stay away from Justin as much as she could. He had a girlfriend and technically she still had a boyfriend and speaking of she was supposed to call him later.

"Are you okay?" Nancy asked falling in step with her.

"Yeah. I was just thinking. I need to call Brad." Shelby shrugged.

"You should be happy to talk to your boyfriend, not depressed." Nancy told her.

"I know, I don't know what I'm going to do. I didn't really wanted a relationship outside of friendship to begin with. The only reason I gave it a chance was because I slept with him. Don't look at me like that. I know it should never have happened, but I was upset and he was comforting me and then one thing led to another. I felt guilty when he said that he loved me and had for a long time. I knew I shouldn't get involved, but I felt bad and I also thought the girls needed a father figure." Shelby explained.

"When are you going to end things with him?" Nancy asked.

"I don't know, it's not something I want to do over the phone." Shelby shrugged.

They walked to Broken Angel's dressing room where a petite blonde woman sat waiting.

"Can I help you?" Shelby asked her.

"You must be Shelby?" She asked standing up.

"Yes, and you are?" Shelby questioned.

"I'm Carrie Cyrus. I'm an old friend of Ryan's, he told me that you may be looking for a nanny?" Carrie answered sticking out her hand.

Shelby shook it and nodded. "I am in need. Do you have any experience?" Shelby asked.

"I worked in a day care for three years until I got pregnant and had to quit. I miscarried in my second trimester and it took a while to get over it, but I'm ready to work with kids again. I'd love to be a nanny." she answered.

"I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I'm not sure why Ryan didn't tell me about this before now. Do you mind if I talk to him first? I would also like the phone number of the day care you worked at so I can get a reference. I hope you don't feel offended, I just don't want a total stranger I know nothing about watching my kids twenty-four seven." Shelby told her.

"Sure, I'd be worried of you didn't. Where are the girls now?" she asked.

"They're with the boys. I'm sure they'll be here in a minute. They've got everyone wrapped around their finger. Danielle wanted a stuffed animal in one of them machines where you drop the claw." Shelby smiled.

"Aw, that's so cute. I think I hear them now actually. Unless there are other children here.' Carrie said.

"No, I don't think so." Shelby answered shaking her head.

Carrie gave Shelby the phone numbers Ryan and the others came into the room.

"Hey baby, did you talk to her?" Ryan asked Carrie.

"She did. Why didn't you tell me about this before, Ryan?" Shelby asked.

"I probably should have give you a heads up, but I thought I should let her do the asking. I didn't want you accusing me of trying to get my girlfriend a job on tour with us." Ryan explained.

"You two are together?" Shelby asked looking between the two. She knew it had to be true from the tell tale blush on Carrie's face.

"Yeah. She came to our Phoenix show and surprised the hell out of me. I hadn't seen her in years. We talked on the phone every night after that and the rest is history." Ryan answered.

"Awesome. Well, I'm going to go make this call then get back to you." Shelby told Carrie then stepped into the hallway.

It was fairly busy out in the hallway so Shelby set out to find a quiet place to call Carrie's reference. She found herself in front of Justin's dressing room and cautiously knocked. She waited a few moments before she slowly opened the door and stepped inside. She was thankful for the lack of occupants in the room as she sat down on the couch and dialed the number Carrie had given her.

"Hello, ABC Day Care this is Ariel." a cheerful voice answered.

"Hello, my name is Shelby Murphy. I have a young woman named Carrie Cyrus applying to be my nanny and I'm calling for a reference. Can you help?" Shelby asked.

"Oh, yeah, Carrie Cyrus, great worker. All the children loved her. We were all so sad to see her go. How is she?" Ariel asked.

"She seems to be good. I only just met her myself. Listen, I've gotta get going, thanks for the recommendation." Shelby said thanking her then hung up the phone.

She felt a huge burden lifted from her shoulders. She would finally have some help with the girls. She did want to spend most of her time with them, but it was nice knowing that she could go out and have some time to herself if she needed a quiet moment.

Inhaling deeply she lay down on the couch. She still had an hour and a half before she had to get changed for the show. She closed her eyes and let herself totally relax. In a few moments she was sound asleep and didn't hear the door open.

Justin stepped into his dressing room and knew something was amiss. He quickly looked around and smiled softly when he saw Shelby sleeping on the couch. He quietly shut the door behind him and slipped off his shoes so he wouldn't disturb her if he walked around. He crept over to the couch and knelt down next to it close to her face.

He gently moved a lock of hair off her face and smiled tenderly. She was so beautiful lying there sleeping so peacefully. He took out his phone and snapped a picture of her and saved it. He knew it might come back to bite him in the ass if it got into the wrong hands, but he didn't have any recent photos of her and he wanted one.

This was one of those rare moments that he allowed his mind to wonder where they would be if all that deception wouldn't have happened. He looked at her ring finger and knew there would be a ring there if he'd just let her explain, or if he could have just trusted her. He couldn't believe that he'd thought she had cheated on him.

If he could go back in time and change everything he would in a heartbeat. Would the little sprite Danielle be their child then? He loved the little girl with her continuous bubbly personality. He wasn't usually a big fan of children, but her and Gracie had easily touched his heart.

He didn't like the direction his thoughts were taking him so he stood up and sat in front of the vanity. He rubbed his hands over his face and inhaled deeply. Get a grip man, get a grip. She's just another ex-girlfriend.

Shelby opened her eyes a few minutes later and immediately felt disoriented. She knew she was in an unfamiliar room, but didn't remember where.

"Good morning sunshine." Justin's voice said breaking through the fog.

"How long have I been sleeping?" Shelby asked sitting up.

"You slept through the show. Nobody could find you until now." Justin answered with a straight face.

Justin watched the blood leave her face leaving her complexion pale as she stared at him, mouth agape. He felt a moment of guilt then shook his head. He put a finger under her jaw and closed her mouth. He continued to look in her eyes and answered. "I'm only kidding Shelby, you were only asleep for maybe a half an hour at the most. I didn't want to wake you because you looked so peaceful."

"That was mean. You looked so serious that I thought I really did miss it." she said smacking him.

"The opportunity was there, I couldn't miss it." Justin said smiling.

"Whatever." Shelby said drawing her knees up to her chest.

"What are you doing in here anyway?" Justin asked.

"I had to make a phone call and this was the only quiet place I could find. Ryan found me a nanny for the girls and I had to check her references. It'll be nice to have some help. I will still spend most of my time with them, but it will be nice to not have to watch them twenty-four seven. We can work on our music more often too. We don't get to write very often as a band because if the girls are around we wouldn't get any work done. Wow, listen to me ramble. I'm so sorry." Shelby said half embarrassed that she'd told him so much.

"Don't worry about it, honey you need someone to talk to. Just because we have history doesn't mean I won't listen to you. If you ever need someone to talk to feel free to come to me." Justin offered.

"Thank you Justin." Shelby said with a smile.

"Anything for you." Justin winked.

Shelby opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted by her 'Sadie Hawkins Dance' ring tone by Relient K. She knew that it was Brad by the ringer and sighed.

"I really don't wanna talk to him." she muttered digging out her phone.

"Who is it?" Justin asked curiously.

"Brad."

"Why don't you want to talk to him? He's your boyfriend." Justin questioned.

"Because he's too controlling. He thinks he needs a say in every thing I do and he's just annoying. He makes a good friend, but I don't like him outside of friendship." Shelby answered.

"Wow."

"Yeah, I don't know why I just told you that. It just sort of came out."

"No worries." Justin shrugged.

"How are things with you and Cameron?" Shelby asked playing to whole friends avenue. She really didn't want to know about Cameron, but she wanted what she could get from Justin and if friendship was the only thing he was offering then by god she'd take it.

"If she wasn't so bitchy they'd be fine. She's constantly on my case about something. I love her, I really do, but dude, sometimes she won't shut up. It hasn't always been that way, just the last few months." Justin shrugged.

"It's my fault. She doesn't like me and resents the fact that I'm here. I'm the dreaded ex who cheated on you and broke your heart. Of course she has no idea that I really didn't do any of that. Oh well whatever she can dislike me if she wants. I'm sorry that she's bothering you about it though." Shelby sighed wrapping her arms around her knees.

"It's not your fault, not really. She needs to just accept that we're friends. She knows you have a boyfriend who is also your daughter's father." Justin answered.

Shelby nodded and bit her tongue trying desperately not to spill the truth about her daughter's real father. She hated not telling him, but she didn't feel right about telling him yet. It didn't seem like the right time.

"What's on your mind?" Justin asked sensing the change in her mood.

"Just thinking." Shelby shrugged praying he'd drop it.

"About what?" Justin prodded.

"Brad isn't Danielle's father." she blurted.

Justin was silent for several moments as if digesting it. "That would explain a lot of things. She doesn't look like him at all. Why didn't you tell me this before when I assumed Brad was her father."

"Well, for one, you still hated me and you would have bitched me out and called me a slut. And two, I don't talk about it. There are only a handful of people who know who her real father is and I'd like to keep it that way." Shelby defended.

"Yeah, I can understand that. You're right I probably would have said some mean things and I'm sorry." Justin said feeling like an ass.

"It's history." Shelby answered waving her hand.

"It may be history, but it still happened. I hate that I was the cause of so much pain. Back when we first met and after we broke up. I said some really harsh things and I'm sorry that I didn't let you explain. I know now that I should have at least listened to you." Justin sighed going over his regrets.

"justin, it's okay, can we please not rehash that shit? I hate talking about it. Yeah it sucked and you should have listened, but you know what? I grew up. I'm not the same person I used to be. What hurt me only made me stronger and as a result I wrote some pretty sweet songs and I found something to do that I love. I found that I had talent and that I love being on stage in front of people performing. So yes, it sucked, but there's no sense in beating yourself up over it." Shelby answered truthfully.

"Okay." Justin nodded still feeling like an ass.

"Don't feel bad." Shelby added as if reading his mind.

"I can't help it." Justin shrugged.

Shelby opened her mouth to reply but someone knocked on the door interrupting her. Justin got up and walked over to the door and opened it. On the other Ryan stood waiting.

"Looking for me?" Shelby asked when she saw who was at the door.

"Yeah. Danielle tripped and fell over a shoe. SHe had a bloody nose and she's asking for you. Carrie tried to comfort her, but she wants her mommy." Ryan answered.

"Oh my god! Is she okay?" Shelby asked jumping off the couch to her feet.

"Yeah, she's fine, just a bit distraught." Ryan answered.

Shelby followed Ryan and picked up her baby when they got to her. "It's okay sweetie, mama's here." Shelby said comforting her.

Justin watched Shelby interact with Danielle and for a moment wished he was part of that family. He wished Shelby was his wife and Danielle was their daughter. As soon as that thought entered his head he know he'd really went off the deep end. Wife? I mean really, get your mind out of there man. He walked out and went back to his room.

Shelby saw Justin leave and the look on his face before he left and wondered what he was thinking about. She shook her mind and put her attention back on her daughter who had calmed down to a few whimpers. There was no permanent damage and her nose had already stopped bleeding.

"How much do you want for a salary?" Shelby asked Carrie.

"You're going to hire me?" Carrie asked trying not to sound too hopeful.

"Yeah. You received good recommendations from the daycare." Shelby nodded. "How much were you paid there?"

"Six twenty an hour." Carrie answered.

"Will three hundred a week be okay? At least while we're on tour? You'll be with them a lot and you won't have to pay for anything except food and you can sleep in their room. I would prefer you don't bunk with Ryan unless it's your day off." Shelby explained her rules.

"Sounds good to me. What will my days off be?" Carrie asked.

"How about Sunday and Monday? Those are our least busy days. And if we have a day off depending on what we're doing. I'll be pretty flexible and when we're done with this tour we can rework it if we need to." Shelby smiled.

"Right on." Carrie nodded then changed the subject, "what's up with you and Justin if I may be so bold."

Shelby realized she should probably tell her something about what was going on. She needed another female friend here. It was just the girls in the room--Nancy, Carrie and herself.

"We were in love once. It was four years ago. Some shit went down and he thought I cheated, but I didn't. He hated me for a few years then I came on tour and we hashed it out painfully so." Shelby answered giving her the short version.

"You still love him?" Carrie asked reading between the lines.

"Sometimes I feel like things should be the way the way they were, but it's pointless because he loves Cameron. He told me so." Shelby answered with a shrug.

"What time is the show?" Carrie asked changing the subject.

"Eight."

"Shouldn't you be getting ready?" she asked looking at the clock.

"I just have to throw on a new outfit and fix my makeup. It only takes like twenty minutes if that."

"You have a half hour." Carrie reminded her.

Shelby nodded and stood up. She grabbed the black skirt she chose to wear and quickly put it on. She decided to keep the same "Made" t-shirt she currently wore and put on some black and bright yellow striped knee high socks and a pair of traditional black high top Chucks with white laces.

"See look, dressed, now I just have to do redo my makeup." Shelby said sitting in front of the vanity.

She had finished just in time as the other Broken Angels filed in to finish getting ready themselves.

Scott sat down next to her to apply his own signature eyeliner. She loved the boys in her band and wouldn't trade the memories she shared for anything in the world. They were a group of amazing guys, they were family.

"You goin with yellow eye shadow?" he asked looking at her in the mirror.

"I was thinking more of a red liner with an orange shadow." Shelby answered digging in her make up bag to find the very colors she spoke of.

"Sweet, livin' on the edge. I'm feelin pink today." Scott added.

They finished applying their make up then went out to wait for their cue.

Shelby stood in the left wing nearest her keyboard and started stretching. She jumped up and down shaking her limbs to get the blood pumping. The lights went down and the crowd started screaming and Shelby felt a burst of nervous excitement rush through her veins. She loved her job, going on stage and performing. She heard her cue and stepped out on stage in front of her keyboard.

The first song she'd play keys then for Daddy's Little Defect she'd play guitar for back up. That was the only song she knew well enough to play live. She was still working on the others. She almost had Welcome to My Life down, but there was a part she still struggled with.

It still amazed her how quickly they were becoming popular. It wasn't anywhere near Justin or JC's fan base, but they were gathering a following. It would be interesting to see how it would get when they put out their CD.

Their set went really well and they signed at the merch table for JC's entire set and were returning backstage a few minutes before Justin was to go on.

Nancy wanted to watch the Justin's set so her and Shelby made their way down to the front. She wanted the best view possible which was, in her opinion, right in the center between the barricade and the stage. Shelby felt a little nervous being right there as the crowd was more rowdy than usual.

Justin was waiting in the wing and saw them standing there. He didn't like what he saw and went to find Mike.

Moments later Shelby saw Mike walking toward them with a serious look on his face. Shelby hoped there was nothing wrong as he stopped front of them.

"Is every thing okay?" Shelby asked.

"The crowd is too rough tonight for you ladies to be out here. If you want to watch the show you'll have to do it from the VIP section. It'll be totally safe from there and you'll be able to see just as well from there. Granted it's not front and center, but it'll do." Mike explained.

"I'm game." Shelby nodded. "This crowd was making me nervous I just didn't wanna ruin it for Nancy as it was her idea."

"Bummer." Nancy said dramatically.

"You'll be fine." Shelby told her.

They followed Mike to the VIP box where they left them and went back stage. It was up front and close enough so that someone could come and go back stage without really being seen.

Shelby sat closest to the exit in case she needed to go to the girls. They were with Carrie on the bus, but she wasn't taking any chances if they needed her.

Justin walked over to where Shelby was and hid behind a curtain. "Shelby!" he called.

Shelby heard her name and turned and looked. She saw Justin peeking around the curtain and laughed. He looked so cute behind the curtain with only his head peeking out. She got up and walked over to where he was and stepped behind the curtain.

"Everything okay?" she asked when she was in front of him.

"Yeah. I just wanted to say thank you." Justin nodded.

"For what?" Shelby asked cocking her head to the side.

"For moving to the VIP without making it an issue. I saw you and Nancy out there and I got Mike to talk to you about moving." he explained running his hand over the top of his head.

"Then I should be thanking you because I was feeling nervous about staying there because of the crowd. It was Nancy that wanted to go out there." Shelby smiled.

"We need to talk about her presence here after the show tonight. Can I come to your room tonight?" Justin asked.

"Sure, that's fine." Shelby nodded.

"Okay, thanks. I have to go, but I'll see you later okay? Enjoy the show sweetie." Justin said giving her a quick half hug.

"Have a good show." Shelby said returning his awkward hug.

Shelby went back to sit down and as soon as she did Nancy started asking questions.

"What was that all about?" she asked.

"He just wanted to tell me that it was his idea for us to move over here." Shelby answered.

"Why should he care?" Nancy asked.

"We're all friends here, you're supposed to be lookin out for your friends. Besides you're pregnant you can't be gettin hurt." Shelby explained.

"I think he likes you." Nancy added.

"I think you should shut your mouth." Shelby rebuked.

"Oh come on. He's always seeking you out for one reason or another." Nancy reminded her.

"That doesn't mean anything. He loves Cameron, Nancy, he told me. We're just friends. Nothing more." Shelby shrugged.

"I say he feels something for you. He may deny it, but I can almost guarantee he has feelings." Nancy added.

Shelby didn't reply after that for two reasons. She didn't want to talk about Justin any more and the show was starting.

Nancy wondered if she went too far with what she said but dismissed it. Shelby wouldn't be offended. It was just an observation after all.

Justin's concert was truly amazing. The man knew how to put on one hell of a show. Nancy wasn't a huge fan of his music, but he was amazing live. His entire show from beginning to end was high energy.

It was fun to watch him interact with the crowd. He would do his dance moves and a lot of the girls knew all the steps and could do them in perfect sync--no pun intended. It was an hour and a half full of Justin's crazy antics and awesome singing. Nancy swore she would get his CD at the merch table and grinned evilly as she thought about making him autograph it.

It would be amusing to ask him for an autograph like a hyperventilating little 'hehe' girl psycho fan like a girl she used to know. The girl once met a Backstreet Boy and started crying. Leave it to Nikki to freak out over something so stupid. She rolled her eyes at the memory then looked over at Shelby.

Nancy smiled at the look of contentment on her face. It would be good for her to have a moment to herself without the girls.

Nancy sighed when she thought about the upcoming conversation concerning her future. Justin was very positive that everything was going to work out and that Shelby would take her in, but Nancy wasn't so sure. She'd been in five different homes since she'd been in foster care and four of them had been after she left Alice.

She'd went to Florida first, then they'd had a baby of their own and had given up all the children except a little two year old whom they'd eventually adopted. After that she had to return to North Dakota where she lived on a small farm near the Canadian border. After one of the rebellious boys set the house on fire she was relocated to a psychotic family in Minot where she stayed for all of a week. She moved to the last couple for a year and they seemed to get a long great until Nancy broke the news that she was pregnant. Then they dumped her back to the state and now Shelby was her last hope.

She shook her head to get rid of the plaguing thoughts and tried to focus on the final number. After the lights went out Shelby and Nancy made their way back stage to meet with the other Broken Angel members to go back to the hotel.

Nancy, Carrie, and the girls were chillin in the girls room talking and getting to know each other while Shelby did her showering.

Shelby grabbed everything she needed and headed to the bathroom. She peeled off her sweaty clothes and stepped under the hot spray. She felt the stresses of the day fall off her and go down the drain. She washed her hair and did the other necessaries then shut the water off. She took a shorter than normal shower because she didn't want to be unprepared when Justin came by.

She opened the bathroom door just as someone knocked on the door. She opened the door not expecting Justin yet as he left after them and had to shower first.

Much to her surprise it was Justin on the other side. He was freshly showered with a pair of pajama pants and a white beater. He looked yummy enough to eat.

"Can I come in or are you just going to undress me with your eyes all night." Justin said teasing her.

"I'll do what I want, but please come in." Shelby said stepping aside to let him in.

"Nice outfit." Justin commented as he walked past her.

"Thank you, it is rather comfortable." Shelby nodded trying not to blush even as she felt her face heating up.

"That blush is very becoming on you by the way." Justin said sitting on the couch.

"Shut up." Shelby said. He hadn't even seen her face, he just knew that she was blushing.

Shelby looked down at her outfit of a long t-shirt which at one point she recalled borrowing from Justin. It was modest enough falling to a few inches above her knees. She had on a pair of knee high white socks with black stripes on the top.

"Nancy, Justin's here." Shelby called before sitting on the bed opposite Justin's couch so she was facing him. She sat cross legged and made sure everything was covered before relaxing.

"Your show was really good tonight." Shelby said filling in the silence.

"Thanks. You look like a natural at that guitar. When you learn all the songs are you going to give up keys?" Justin asked.

"We'll always have a keyboard on stage in case we need it." Shelby shrugged.

"Sweet."

"I'm here for you can start the party." Nancy said plopping on the couch next to Justin on the opposite end.

"What the hell did you just say?" Shelby said cringing at the awful sound.

"What?" Nancy asked with feigned innocence.

"Don't what me. Why did you say for? You know that irritates the crap out of me. It's so, not for." Shelby said chastising her.

"What are you guys talking about?" Justin asked clearly confused.

"Shelby knew this girl who always said for instead of so. It was really annoying. Like what I just said earlier, 'I am here for you can start the party' the for should be a so." Nancy explained.

"That girl was annoying. I swear she had the mental capacity of a flea. She was nice enough, but hello flake." Shelby rolled her eyes and shuddered.

"Sounds like a peach." Justin smirked.

"Hello sarcasm." Nancy said raising an eyebrow at him.

"So let's get down to business. Nancy needs you to be her foster parent or she's fucked." Justin said getting right to the point.

"What? Why? What happened?" Shelby asked looking at Nancy.

"I told them about the baby and they flipped. There aren't any other available families and if I don't get placed soon I'll have to go to juvy and they'll give my bay up for adoption." Nancy said trying desperately to remain strong and not start crying.

"I hate the system. So many kids slip through the cracks and I won't let you or that baby be one of them. What do we need to do?" Shelby asked between the two of them.

"Her case worker sent papers with her for you to fill out. You would have to tutor her while we're on tour and make sure she maintains at least a C average. The state would pay you some and you'd basically be her legal guardian." Justin explained to her everything that Sylvia had told him.

"I could do that. I graduated with a 4.0. I was a nerd." Shelby nodded thinking it over.

"Let's have those forms. I'll fill them out and send them in as soon as possible. You better not start calling me mom though. I am, after all, only six years older than you. Wait, that won't be a problem will it?"

"No. Anyone over the age of eighteen can be a foster parent as long as they have a stable job and a stable home. I asked about that too." Justin answered.

"Wow, you really did your homework." Shelby looked at Justin feeling impressed.

"I had to get all the information I could. I didn't want to just come to you with this idea and be totally unprepared." Justin shrugged.

On the outside he appeared relaxed about it as if it was no big deal, but on the inside he felt proud that he could make her happy. He was glad that he could help her out in such a big way. It gave him pleasure.

"Why didn't you tell me before?" Shelby asked Nancy.

"When they kicked me out I called Justin. I knew you had a lot on your plate and I couldn't bear to add to that pile. It was all his doing after that." Nancy answered looking down at her hands.

"It's okay. I understand." Shelby nodded. "I owe you a lot." She said to Justin.

"You don't owe me anything. It was the least I could do." Justin answered shaking his head.

Shelby knew in her heart that she did owe him, big. It was the sweetest thing he could have done and in that moment she fell in love with him all over again.

"Well thank you." she nodded hoping her feelings didn't reflect on her face or in her voice.

Justin stared at her for a long time it was a relatively uncomfortable silence. There were so many things he wished he was free to say, but instead he just nodded and gave her a weak smile.

He opened his mouth to say something else but someone knocked on the door and Nancy got up to open it. When he saw who was on the other side of the door his blood froze. Things were definitely going to get interesting real fast.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki