Number of reviews: 17
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Author's Notes:
Ok guys here's the next chapter.. nice and long for you enjoy!!

Madeline sighed and tried not to think about the information she had spilled to her sister-in-law. Nothing had changed, and things were just looking more and more bleak for everyone.

Closing her eyes for a moment Madeline wondered how much longer of this waiting she could do. It didn’t seem like JC was ever going to wake up, and a part of her was beginning to believe it. At first she had one hundred percent faith that he would wake up, but now she was so unsure.

After everyone they had known milled in and out of here, they had each given her the same look, a look of pity. She didn’t want to be seen as pitiful, she wanted to be seen as strong. But she knew with the tears that had fallen even more that day that her strong façade was definitely giving out.

“Maddie?” she opened her eyes and looked around her seeing Heather walk back into the room and sit down next to her. “How you holding up?”

“I’m alright,” she lied and glanced down at her hands which were folded neatly in her lap. Heather nodded and gave her soft smile.

“Really?” she asked and took one of Madeline’s shaking hands.

            “Yeah. You didn’t tell the cops anything right?” Madeline asked and Heather shook her head.

            “No I didn’t,” she replied quietly and looked at her brother, “That’s for you to do not me. Maddie you have to tell them.”

            “I know but…” Madeline’s voice trailed off. She knew she had to say something at least but given the circumstances she really wondered if that was a good idea. “I don’t think it’s the best of ideas.”

            “I think it is. It’s what Josh would have wanted,” Heather replied in a whisper and bowed her head. “Josh would have wanted you to tell.”

            “I know, but I can’t and he would understand why,” Madeline argued and looked at Heather who didn’t look up but gave Madeline a strong sigh of defeat.

            “He might. But Maddie please, tell someone for my brother’s sake,” Heather said after a while and looked at her with pleading eyes, “Please.”

            “I can’t Heather,” Madeline whispered and shook her head, “You know I can’t.”

 

            Justin walked down the halls of the near to empty hospital and sighed heavily. He was glad that Chris hadn’t spilt the beans on him and Madeline’s situation because he wasn’t sure she would be able to handle it.

            He tried to focus as he walked further, trying to read the numbers on the doors. He wondered where everyone was, but once he had come to the near end of the hall he saw his friend’s family sitting outside the room, each one looking more depressed than the next.

            “Justin?” Karen Chasez stood up from her seat and looked at Justin in disbelief, wondering why he was there. Justin grinned sheepishly and lowered his head before replying.

            “Hi Mrs Chasez,” he mumbled and looked at his feet; he could feel the woman gaze at him sternly. Justin knew his friend’s mother had never really warmed up to him, especially after…

            “What are you doing here? Were you here earlier? Does Madeline know?” Karen asked spewing off questions not letting him answer.

            “Yeah I was here earlier, I came to see if…” Justin began but Karen cut him of with a shake of her head.

            “I don’t think it’s wise you be here Justin,” she said in a calm soft voice, “It’s the last thing that Josh needs.”

            “Yeah I know but…” he tried again, this time looking up and noticing the tears glimmering in the older woman’s eyes.

            “No Justin, I know you’re his best friend but right now…” her voice stopped abruptly as the door to the room where her son was flew open and Heather stormed out. Her eyes were flaring as she approached Justin angrily.

            “What the hell is he doing here?” she yelled pointing at Justin and glaring at her mother. Justin looked at her in confusion. “Get him out of here! After what he’s….”

            “Heather stop!” Madeline interrupted dashing out after Heather and holding her back. “It’s okay, he can stay.” Justin breathed a sigh of relief and was never happier to see someone in his life.

He flashed Madeline a soft smile for thanks, but she turned away from him before she could see it. He let out another sigh and followed her into the room, ignoring Heather’s protests.

            The two walked into the room, and Justin noted that Madeline never once turned to face him. She kept her back to him as she sat back down in the chair that had now become sort of a second home to her, her eyes staring straight ahead.

            “How is he doing?” Justin asked and Madeline did not answer. “Mads?” He walked up to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. She flinched at his tough, but still refused to turn and face him. “Madeline come on.”

            Now she did turn and face him, slowly and her eyes icy cold as she looked at him, her expression never changed.

            “Don’t ever use that tone with me Justin,” she said and he knew she was right. He hadn’t used that tone with her since…..

            “I’m sorry Mads,” he whispered and pulled up a chair to sit next to her. “It’s just that you weren’t…”

            She put up her hand to stop him and turned her face away before she spoke again, “And you know why I wasn’t. I may have let you stay Justin but that doesn’t mean I want you here. I’m only doing it for his sake; I’m still upset as to what happened earlier.”

            “I didn’t mean what I said Mads,” he answered and she shook her head.

            “I don’t care Justin. All I care about is putting our feelings aside so he can get better okay?” she asked and managed to look at him briefly, “And I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t bring up the past while we do.”

 

            Sandy let herself into her home after a few days of being away and it felt good. She was more than willing to remove her grubby uniform and step into the hottest shower of the day. She sighed contentedly and dumped her files on the kitchen table before walking straight for the bedroom.

            The sight of the bed was welcoming to her as she peeled off her clothes and looked around her, her eyes falling on the door of the bathroom. She’d had a tough few days, with all her witnesses being negative while she questioned them. And it had made her anxious to just drop the case, go home and do nothing. But she knew she couldn’t do that because this case needed to be solved.

            She removed her mind of these thoughts and walked into the bathroom, letting the hot water run for a while before stepping into the shower. She stood there for the longest time, at first not thinking about anything but soon the case invaded her mind.

            She thought about the countless interviews and wondered why everyone was so intent on hiding things not only from her, but from each other as well. She had seen the way each of the interviewees refused to look at her directly, and this was a clear sign in her mind that something was being kept from her.

            When she stepped out the shower and looked in the mirror, she looked too tired to even stand. She sighed and turned away, wrapping her body in a woolly towel before making her way into the bedroom.

            Sandy let out a small yawn and didn’t even bother pulling on some clothes as she let her body fall onto the bed. As soon as her head hit the pillow her eyes began to drift closed and her mind began to shut down. She hadn’t been lying there for more than two minutes when the phone rang by her bed. She groaned inwardly and shook her head as she reached over and picked up the phone.

            “Yeah?” she answered gruffly and sniffled another yawn.

            “Sands? It’s me Dale, where you asleep?” Her partner’s voice came over the phone. Sandy sighed and struggled to sit up.

            “I was getting ready to why?” Sandy asked and rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

            “Well, the chief wants us to go back to the hospital and interview Mr Timberlake,” Dale replied and Sandy groaned again.

            “What? Is he serious? I just...” she began but Dale cut her off.

            “I know you did Sands. But apparently the sister of our victim had a bit of a tiff with Mr Timberlake not to soon after we left. The nurses thought we should know,” Dale explained. Sandy sighed and struggled off the bed, knowing what Dale was going to ask her next. “Can you be ready in ten mins? I’ll come pick you up.”

            “Fine,” she grumbled and let her towel fall from her as she stumbled to the closet to get a fresh uniform. “I’ll see you then, bye.”

 

            “You know I haven’t slept in so long, I think I’ve forgotten what my bed looks like,” Sandy yawned as she climbed into the car next to Dale. “So where we going again?”

            Dale laughed and shook his head, “Well we were originally going to the hospital but now we’re heading for Mr Timberlake’s home. Seems like he left the hospital about an hour ago.”

            “Okay so we’re going to his house?” Sandy asked yawning again and leaning back in her seat.

            “Yup,” Dale grinned and turned the car onto the highway.

            “Cool,” Sandy tried to keep her eyes open as she opened up her file. “I talked to one of the friends yesterday.”

            “Oh yeah and what did you find out?” Dale asked with a raised eyebrow.

            “Seems like Miss James and Mr Timberlake were dating before she began seeing Mr Chasez. And there was apparently something that had happened between the two that caused Mr Timberlake to become bitter,” Sandy said catching Dale’s surprised expression as they continued down the highway.

            “He was bitter? Well that would give you some reason to paint him as a suspect,” Dale commented and Sandy nodded.

            “Yeah, but I doubt the friends would back up their words,” Sandy replied and Dale looked at her confused.

            “Why not? What they said was under oath right?” he asked and Sandy nodded

            “Yeah, but there’s something that makes me think they would protect him no matter what he did,” Sandy replied, “There’s just something weird about the whole situation. Like everyone knows something they’re unwilling to share.”

            “And why would they if it has nothing to do with the case?” Dale asked, Sandy nodded and looked at him.

            “Yeah, but what if it is? What if it’s the reason that man is in hospital? Maybe Mr Timberlake was angry at the victim for some reason and ran him over for revenge?”  Sandy asked, and Dale nodded.

            “Yeah, then we’d have to find out what the reason was right? But the friends are unwilling to talk?” Dale asked and Sandy nodded again.

            “Yeah, they were,” Sandy said and flipped through the file. “But then there was Mr Alya, something about him is not right. He kept shifting his gaze as I talked to him. And he said that the victim and Mr Timberlake were really good friends, but he was best friends with Mr Timberlake.”

            “So he could have run the victim over out of jealousy?” Dale asked, “Because he was jealous of the friendship Mr Timberlake had with the victim?”

            “Exactly,” Sandy nodded and Dale looked surprised.

            “So we could have two suspects?” Dale questioned. Sandy nodded as they pulled into a private street.

            “We could,” she said and noticed the luscious houses that lined the street. “If people start talking.”



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki