Underneath It All by Moose


Number of reviews: 10
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Author's Notes:

I know I should be focused on The Day now, but I'm having a little writer's block with that one, so I figured I would post some of this and work on it in hopes that I get some inspiration....

anyway....tell me what you think :)

       He watched her from across the room. She wasn't overly beautiful, but she gave him chills. He saw her everyday, with her close group of friends. She smiled at him once, and then kept on going. Maybe that's what made her attractive. She hadn't spoken a word, or even tried to "get to know him" like every other girl in the school. 

  He watched as she worked with some other student that was struggling. Her smile reached her eyes and it made you feel so good, even if it wasn't directed at you. He had always wanted to talk to her, but all his friends had told him she "wasn't his type." She was the kind of girl that was off limits. The girl that no one wanted to touch with a ten foot pole.   He knew she didn't care about his social status, that's why he wanted to talk to her. He wanted to know why it never bothered her that people talked, a lot. There were many rumors going around, and he'd bet money that none of them were true, but he wanted to ask her first.

 

  He had become fed up with the stereotype placed on everyone. Jocks, nerds, preps, fags, geeks...everyone had a title. He was the Cute, jock/bad boy that everyone wanted. She was the goody; goody that you wanted nothing to do with if you treasured your popularity at all. She was something he should want nothing to do with, but for some reason, he wanted to know her.   He shook his head and rid himself of the daze he was in. A noticeable blush stained his cheeks when she caught his stare. He turned his head and jumped a bit when he came face to face with the teacher.

 

  "Can you answer the question?" Her annoyed tone caused the class to giggle.   "Ooh...can you repeat the question?" He stuttered, unsure. The teacher sighed and shook her head.

   "Please see me after class." And with that she turned to the next student and continued the lesson.   At the end of class he lingered, not really wanting to stay. The teacher was preoccupied with another student so he slowly merged into the crowd hoping to get lost in the shuffle.

   "Oh, don't forget to stay, Justin." Her voice was like a rope, yanking him back into the room. He walked with his head hanging, and slowly made his way across the room to the reprimand he knew he awaited him.   "Sit down you two." Justin's head shot up. Someone else had to stay too? He glanced to the desk beside him and his breath caught as he saw her. A serious look on her face as she watched the teacher.

   The teacher took her sweet time shuffling papers. If she was trying to make him sweat, it was working. He was nervous because she was there, and that was unusual.   "Well...Justin, I've noticed you've had a very tough time in class this quarter. I kept Miss Alex after because I asked her to help you." Justin swallowed hard and nodded. He was excited and angry at the same time. He was upset because he didn't need help; he was fine on his own. He didn't want to be baby-sat, and he definitely didn't want his friends hearing about this. He was also excited, because he got the chance to talk to her. He stole another glance and his spirits fell to see a very hard and serious look on her face. She seemed less pleased by this than he was.

   "We have a test in two weeks, and the midterms are coming up fast. I asked Alex to help you study for those, and I expect to see a better effort on your part." Her voice was stern and all he could do was nod. "Well, I think that's about it for today. I'm sorry to have kept you after school so long; I hope you have a ride." Justin was about to answer but he noticed the statement was directed at Alex, and not himself. She nodded politely and answered quietly.   "I can find a way home." She looked over at Justin and managed a small, weak smile. This time it didn't reach her eyes.

  His heart thumped in his ears as he waited for her to speak. "I can help you whenever you have time, just find me." She quickly grabbed her books and stood up. She left before he could answer.

   "Wait! Alex, wait." He grabbed his bag and threw it over his shoulder. Dodging the janitor, he flew out of the building and spotted Alex about 20 yards away walking at a brisk pace.

"Alex!" He shouted again. She stopped and slowly turned around, waiting for him to catch up to her. A small smile was perched on her lips as she waited for him to reach her. "Hey, I wanted to ah....to ah..." He was drawing a blank, and had no idea what to say. "I wanted to...to thank you for helping me." Her smile faded.   "I haven't done anything yet Justin." She said in all seriousness.

   "But you offered, or accepted the offer. It's more than what many others would have done for me." He covered. Her smile returned a bit.   "That's a lie, Justin. I know many people waiting to get the chance to accidentally brush your shoulder, I'm sure there are many people that would love to be in my place." She laughed a bit.

   "Do you love the place you're in?" It was a very forward question, and he didn't know what possessed him to ask, but she answered.   "I like helping anyone, it doesn't matter who, or what subject." Not exactly the answer he wanted, but it would have to do.

   "Oh." He shuffled his feet and searched for something else to say, to keep her there for just a few minutes longer, so he could see her smile.   "If that's all, I need to get going. It'll take me a while to get home."

   "Do you live far away?" he reached for anything to get her talking.   "About four or five miles." She answered quietly.

   "That should only take about 5 minutes." He looked at her, perplexed.   "Not if you're walking." She smiled at him, and his heart fluttered.

   "Walking? Don't you have a ride?"   "If I had a ride, then I wouldn't be walking. I usually take the bus, but I missed it, and I really have to go now, I'll see you later." She turned and started to walk away.

   "Wait! I...I'll give you a ride." He said quickly. She turned sharply and gave him a weird look.   "Aren't you worried your friends will see me with you? That could spread rumors." Justin's heart fell because he thought that he had gained some of her trust, but he saw he was wrong.

   "I don't care about my friends; they can think what they want." He surprised both of them with his words, but he meant it.   "I couldn't impose."

   "No, it's OK really, I don't have any place to be, and I don't mind." He urged her with his eyes, and was relieved when she smiled and said yes.      Justin pointed in the direction of his truck and they slowly started walking. The walk was uncomfortable for Justin; he had no idea what to say. Alex seemed content on walking and keeping quiet. When they reached the truck, Justin opened the door for her and she smiled at him, causing him to blush.

      "So, Alex, what do you like to do?" He asked, starting the truck.       "Oh, I don't know. I like sports, football is fun to watch. And I enjoy reading. Take a left." She pointed as he started to exit the parking lot.

      "Really? You like football?"      "Why? Does that surprise you?" She said, her voice had a defensive edge.

      "Well...No, I just..." He stuttered.      "Never figured me as the sports type. It's OK Justin. You don't have to pretend to like me." He sighed at her words.

      "I'm not pretending Alex. I just didn't know you liked sports. I don't know much of anything about you except what I hear."      "And do you believe that?"

      "I don't know what to believe Alex. But I'd like to think it wasn't true." He stated quietly.      "Well, whatever sick ideas you have about me you can just forget them. Take a right." She crossed her arms over her chest and silently stared out the window.

      "I'm sorry Alex. I didn't mean to make you upset. I don't listen to the rumors anyway." He tried to convince her, but she laughed shortly in response to his remark.      "You might say that Justin. But I know what your friends say about me. I hear the whispers and the snide remarks. It doesn't matter what you listen to anymore. They had their minds made up about me a long time ago." Justin sighed and pulled the truck over, not wanting to fight while he was driving.

      "I don't know what you think about me Alex, but I'm not some creep. I have heard all the rumors, and I know what my friends think, but that's not what I think. You see, you get upset about all that's said, yet I've heard nothing about you trying to stop them. Why did you just roll over and let them walk all over you?"      "I didn't let them do anything. They do whatever they damn well please. Your so called friends didn't like that I wasn't an easy lay like the rest of the girls they know, so they thought it was necessary to tell everyone I'm a whore. And who do you think everyone's going to believe? The popular basketball player that everyone adores? Or the new girl that no one knows anything about?"

      "Didn't you say something?"      "I said a lot Justin. I talked until I was blue in the face. But they don't care, and soon I stopped caring about them too. They can think what they want, I know the truth and that's all that matters." She stopped talking and Justin knew that it was the end of the conversation. He started the truck again and Alex gave him the last few directions to her house. She thanked him quickly and started to exit the truck. Justin grabbed her arm before she could leave.

      "Alex, please don't be mad at me." He pleaded. All she could do was look at his hand on her arm.      "I'm not mad at you Justin. Don't ever think that, and my problems are just that. Mine. Don't feel obligated to fix them, and please...If I help you with your work, you have to promise to leave me alone after it's over." A confused look crossed his face and he let go of her arm.

      "Why?"

      "Because, I can't Justin...OK? Please. I just can't...I'll see you tomorrow, I'll help you after school if that's OK?" He just nodded and watched her run into the house. He put the truck in reverse and drove away.     



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki