Underneath It All by Moose


Number of reviews: 10
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Alex watched out the back window as she made dinner. She was glad to see that Steve had warmed up to Justin because Steven needed a male influence in his life. She laughed as Justin missed another shot on purpose. Steven laughed and pointed and then threw up a diaper shot. It bounced along the rim and then fell in, much to Steven's delight. Justin pretended to be crushed at his loss, but she could see the sparkle to his eyes.      She walked over to the door and called them in. Steve dropped the basketball and raced inside, closely followed by Justin.

Alex grabbed Steven's plate and started putting some spaghetti on it when she saw him get up and walk over to Justin. He stood in front of him and held out his hand, the palm facing upwards.      "What?" Justin asked, staring down at the little boy, puzzled.

      "I want my money." Steven stated simply.      "Huh? What money?" Justin looked to Alex for help but she had her back turned to them. Steven sighed impatiently and tapped his little foot.

      "Alex said that if I beat you in basketball you would pay me five dollars...cough it up buddy." He shoved his little hand forward and Justin's eyes widened in disbelief. He shook his head and got out his wallet, handing the little boy a crisp five dollar bill.      Justin looked up to see a small smile on Alex's face as she set the plates down and sat at the counter. He walked up behind her and leaned in so that only she could hear.

      "You knew that I would let him win that game." He whispered fiercely.      "Yes...and so did he, that's why he agreed to play." She laughed a bit and then turned her head to look at Justin. "You might want to eat; your food'll get cold."

Justin mumbled something about getting her back but it was lost to the sound to clinking forks and Steve's slurping of his noodles. Sauce dappled his face and his white T-shirt was no more. The little boy seemed happier than he had in a long time and Alex was glad to see that he was having so much fun. The phone rang and interrupted her thoughts. She got up quickly to answer it, but Steven beat her to it.      "Hello?" He asked, sauce getting on the receiver. Alex watched as his face lit up when the caller identified themselves. "Mommy!!"

      "Hello Steven."       "When are you coming home?" His voice was hopeful and Alex wished that she had gotten the phone.

      "I'm not going to make it home tonight...is your sister there?" Steve's bottom lip jutted out and his eyes lost their sparkle.      "Yeah, hold on." He dejectedly handed Alex the phone and sat back down at the counter. Her continued to slowly eat and Justin tried to cheer him up.

       Alex walked to the other side of the kitchen so their conversation wouldn't be heard by her little brother, or Justin.    "Hello?" She closed her eyes to ward off the oncoming headache.

    "Hello Alex. I wanted to tell you that the case I'm working on will take longer than I thought and I won’t be done until next week. Then Bill and I are going to stay in the city for a few days vacation." Alex rolled her eyes and wanted to yell so badly, but she controlled herself.    "Do you know what you do to that little boy? He loves you, but you're never here anymore. He doesn't understand this, and you're breaking his heart!" Alex's tone was hard although she knew no amount of lectures would get through to her mother.

    "Don't be silly Alex. He's fine. Maria is there to take care of him, and he loves you too." Alex laughed at that.    "How does it feel to know you left your children to be brought up by a maid? Leave it to you to take away the only parent this boy has left. I'm sorry but you make me sick. Don't bother calling unless it's to say that you're on your way home." Alex hung up the phone before her mother could respond. She set the phone down harshly on the counter top and put her head in her hands. She jumped and spun around when she felt someone touch her shoulder.

    "Alex? Are you OK?" She came face to face with Justin's concerned blue orbs and sighed. She could get lost in those eyes.    "Yeah, I'm all right. How is Steven?" She looked around Justin but couldn't see her brother.

    "He went up stairs to take a bath. Are you sure you're OK? I heard your conversation, I didn't mean to but..." Alex held up a hand to stop him.       "It's all right Justin. I know I wasn't being very quiet. I'm sorry you had to hear that, and Yes. I'm OK." She feigned a smile and walked to the counter to start cleaning up. Justin helped her pick up the dished in silence, not sure of what to say. He watched as she placed dishes in the dishwasher, her hands shaking. He could feel her tension from across the room. He went over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder.

    "Alex, why don't you go check on Steven. I'll finish this..." He urged her with his eyes and she smiled slightly.    "Thank you Justin." She turned and went upstairs.

    Justin finished cleaning off the counter and placing the dishes in the washer. He was wiping down the table when he heard Alex come down the stairs holding a pj clad Steven.    "...So, do you want some of your cookies?" She asked as they walked into the kitchen.

    "Yeah. And Justin can have some too." The little boy looked over at Justin with admiration in his eyes. Alex laughed a bit.    "Don't I feel loved. He won’t even give me cookies. I think he likes you Justin." She set Steve down and he ran to the cabinet and grabbed the cookie jar. He grabbed a hand full of cookies, which was about four and walked toward Justin. Steve handed the cookies to Justin and tugged in his shirt so he would bend down. Justin leaned in to hear as Steve whispered into his ear.

    "I think you should share with Alex because the teacher said girls like it when you share and I think Alex likes you." Justin grinned at the little boys words.    "You think so, huh?" Steve nodded vigorously and then proceeded into the living room. Justin bit into one cooking and handed the other to Alex. She smiled at him and he almost melted.

    "What did he say to you?" Justin leaned back against the counter and crossed one leg over the other.    "Oh...Just a secret between us guys." Alex laughed and shook her head.

    "Whatever you say." She walked away and into the living room to check on Steve. He sat cross legged in front of the TV, he was watching some cartoons. She felt Justin walk up beside her.    "I need to get going, my parents are probably wondering where I am." Alex turned to him.

    "I'm sorry for taking up your Friday night. You probably had better things to do." She looked down at her hands.    "I had a great time, and I can't think of anything I would rather do on a Friday night." He smiled at her when she looked up at him. She searched his eyes to see if he was lying at all, but she could sense no untruth in his statement. "What are you doing tomorrow?" He asked when she didn't speak.

    "I have to watch Steve."     "Then come to dinner with me, it's the least I could do for tonight."

    "Justin, you don't have to do anything for me. And I don't have anyone to watch Steve, I told you that already." She sighed and looked everywhere but at him. He noticed this and grabbed her chin so she had to look at him.    "Alex. I want to do this for you. I don't feel like I Have to, I WANT to do it. I'll get someone to watch Steve, don't worry about anything." He winked at her and then walked to the door. "I'll call you tomorrow. Don't make plans." And then he walked out the door.

Alex stared at the door for about five minutes before she realized that she had been holding her breath and her knees were shaking. She pushed herself away from the wall and went down the few stairs into the living room. She sat down next to Steve and they watched TV for the rest of the night before going to bed.

 



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki