Underneath It All by Moose


Number of reviews: 10
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Alex helped Justin in to his truck and she ran around to the driver’s side. Justin watched as she climbed in and after she started the truck he spoke.   “You  do know how to drive this, don’t you?” Alex turned and smiled.

   “You have a lot to learn about me Justin….a lot to learn.”

Alex drove the few miles to the hospital and pulled into a parking space. Justin was amazed at how she handled his truck. He didn’t know any other girl that could drive a standard that well…frankly, he was amazed. But then again, Alex had that power.

   “I called ahead, so you have an actual appointment. I know that you would be waiting forever in the emergency room, and that can get expensive.” Alex helped Justin out of the truck, careful not to jar his ribs at all.

They walked inside and headed over to a desk that sat in the middle of the lobby. Alex stated Justin’s name and they sat down to wait for the nurse to call them into the room. A few minutes later an elderly woman came out and called Justin’s name, motioning for him to follow her.

When Alex started to follow the nurse asked if she was family and before she could answer Justin jumped in.   “Yes…she’s family. I want her in the room with me.” The woman smiled a knowing smile and led the two teenagers down the hall way and into a private room.

   “So what’s wrong with you, my dear boy?” The nurse took out a thermometer and stuck it in Justin’s ear.   “Well…I think I broke a few bones in my hand, and I also think I have a few broken ribs.” The nurse nodded and jotted down Justin’s temperature.

   “Mmmhmm…and what makes you think that?” Justin lifted his shirt and the nurse gasped when she saw the bruises and marks along his torso.   “Well young man, I think you may be right.” She jotted down a few more notes and glanced over at Justin. “The doctor will be in as soon as possible, you just sit tight.”

She left in a hurry and Justin leaned back against the wall. Alex glanced at him and picked at her shirt, not knowing what to do.   “Besides the obvious, how are you feeling today?” Alex finally decided to break the silence.

   “Uhm….OK, I guess, under the circumstances. It hurts to breathe, but I think that’s probably normal. My hand is very tender today, but I figured that would happen anyway.” They sat in silence for a few moments before Justin reached over and gently took Alex’s hand. “Thanks Alex…for everything. I had a great time last night, even though I got the crapped kicked out of me.”

She started laughing at his joke, which made him chuckle and then start coughing. Alex stopped at once to make sure he was OK, and there was a knock at the door as the doctor walked through.

   The doctor was a tall man, with bright green eyes and glasses. Alex sat back in her chair and Justin tried to straighten up, but it wasn’t going to happen.   “Well hello there…I’m Dr. Bethune, and you must be Justin.” He reached out and shook Justin’s hand before sitting down on his stool and flipping through some charts.

   “All right Justin, tell me what happened.”

Justin launched into the story about the night before and the fight that has ensued. He explained how Seth had stepped on his hand and then repeatedly kicked him in the stomach.

   “Wow, doesn’t sound like you’ve had a very good night.” The Doctor turned and looked at Alex for the first time, smiling at her politely. “And who might you be, young lady?”

Alex glanced at Justin and then answered the doctor. “I’m a friend of Justin’s, I was there last night when all this happened.”

   “You were there? Why didn’t you take Justin to the hospital right away?” His tone started to sound less friendly and Alex didn’t know what to say so Justin jumped in.   “That’s my fault sir. I asked Alex not to take me last night. I didn’t feel that it was an emergency, and I was too tired to go anywhere, so I stayed with her. She wanted to take me, but I asked her to wait until this morning.” The doctor watched the two teenagers in his office and sighed.

   “You really should have come in last night, son. Anyway, I want to get some x-rays, to see the damage caused, and then we’ll talk about anything that needs to be done after that.” He handed Justin some papers and left the room.   “I’m sorry, Justin.” Justin looked up when Alex said that and watched her.

   “Hey, I thought there wasn’t going to be any more of that ‘I’m sorry’ stuff?” He reached over with his good hand and took Alex’s chin in his hand. “It’s ok Alex, it’s not your fault. Please, try and smile some.” He grabbed her hand and brought to his lips and kissed it softly before returning to his paperwork.

The majority of the day was spent in the hospital getting x-rays and tests done.  Justin’s hand was put in a cast and he was given strict orders not to do any strenuous activities for the next two months.  This basically meant that Justin’s basketball season was over, and because it was his senior year his hopes of colleges scouting him went out the window.

Alex felt horrible because of it all.  She knew that Justin didn’t want her to feel guilty, but she couldn’t help it.  If he hadn’t taken her out then none of this would have happened.  But instead of pushing him away and building up a wall like she had promised herself she would do, she was letting Justin get closer.  It scared her. 

Steering Justin’s truck into her driveway she engaged the e-break and turned off the engine.

   “I know you probably want to get home, should I call Jess?”  Alex asked as she helped Justin out of the truck and grabbed his things.

Just then Stephen came running out of the house yelling for both Alex and Justin with such excitement both of them had to stop.

   “ALEX!!! JUSTIN!!!”  Stephen launched himself at the older man but was luckily stopped by his older sister before he could barrel into the injured Justin.   “Whoa there buddy, Justin’s got that boo-boo, remember?  You can’t jump on him like that.”

   “Sorry Justin…can I give you a hug still?”  The young boy had such a pleading look in his eyes that Justin couldn’t help but chuckle as he leaned in to give the boy a hug.   “Let’s get you inside, Squirt.”  Alex started toward the house with Stephen in her arms and Justin close behind.

When they entered the house Stephen ran off to find some new toy and Alex thanked Maria before sending her home.   “Justin, do you want me to call Jess and see if she can come get you?  You’re probably exhausted.”

Stephen ran in at that moment and started to pout at the prospect of Justin going home.   “No! Alex, he’s gotta stay!  I want to show him my new matchbox car set.  Please Justin, please!  We can have dinner together again too!  I’ll let you have another cookie!”  Stephen was close to tears at this point and Justin knew that there was no saying no to this little boy.

   “I guess I can stay for a little while, but not all night.  I have to go home and see my big sister, she misses me too.”

Stephen seem placated at the idea of Justin staying for a little longer, and the two men trotted off to the living room to check out Stephen’s new matchbox set.

Alex watched with amusement as Justin listened intently to Stephen’s descriptions of everything and proceeded to demonstrate on the new track her had.

She let out a breath she didn’t know she’d been holding and retreated to the kitchen.  What was she doing?  Being with Justin was only going to cause problems for the both of them, and she really didn’t want that to happen.  She had already ruined his basketball career; if he continued to be seen with her she would ruin the rest of his reputation too.  Alex knew that the next Monday at school would be brutal for both of them, and she wondered what rumors would start up this time. The young girl was torn, because she was starting to feel something for Justin, even if she wasn’t ready to admit it yet.  But she was scared too.  She didn’t want to get hurt again, and she didn’t want anything bad to happen to Justin either.

Things were going to get messy no matter what she chose to do.  It was just a matter of figuring out the lesser of two evils.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki