Joe Trailer by BeanJean


Number of reviews: 100
Print: Printer

- Text Size +


Author's Notes:
So I wrote this story probably in early 2001.  Way before any talk of solo albums and dissolution of the group.

Joey pulled up his pants and washed his hands. He looked disgusted at the dirt encrusted tiles on the bathroom floor and almost felt like he would loose his lunch at the smell. He glanced at his watch and sighed.

“I couldn’t have picked a better place,” he whined to himself. He checked to make sure he had his phone with him for the ninth time and felt around in his pockets for a piece of gum. He thought he had taken a pack before he got off the bus. Using some toilet paper, he wiped off the top of a toilet and jumped up on it. He pulled his bag into his lap and settled down for a little cat nap before starting his plan.

Joey peaked out the bathroom door. He smiled and slung his bag over his shoulder. He walked unnoticed in the evening light and made his way back to the gas station.

“Here you go,” Joey said handing the clerk the large toothbrush with the bathroom key attached.

The clerk looked at him funny, “you ain’t the kid I gave this too.”

“No sir,” Joey said doing his best southern drawl, “I stopped him bout awhile ago. I need to freshen up. And I saw him acoming out.”

“Bathroom’s only for paying customers son,” the clerk eyed him.

“I’m buyin,” Joey smiled, “just wanted to give you your key first.”

“I don’t know if this will work Joe,” she said pulling out of the gas station.

“Course it will,” Joey said from the backseat, “hey Briana baby. Daddy’s going to stay with you now.”

The three drove in silence until Kellie pulled off the main road onto the gravel one. “Where am I going now?”

“Keep going straight. You’ll find a water tower on the right of where you turn. Can’t miss it.”

“What I can’t do,” she said, “is believe you convinced me to do this.”

Joey laughed and stroked Brianna’s hair, “You’ll thank me.”

“Joseph Anthony Fatone,” Kellie said hitting him repeatedly with her hat, “I am not living in a trailer park!”

“Shh,” Joey said silencing her, “it’s Anthony Matolie here.”

“What the-? Matolie? Trailer park? Explain.”

“It’s only for a little while. We’ll work our way up. American dream Kel, oh I mean Steph.”

“J-Ant, you will be the death of me.”

Joey laughed and picked up the car seat, “Come on Precious. Let’s go see our new home.”

“And what does Ant do,” the boney women asked Kellie.

“He’s well, um,” Kellie hesitated, “he’s between jobs right now.”

“I’ll tell you what he should do,” a shorter, chubbier women said, “he needs to model or something.”

Kellie laughed, “Ant doesn’t like his picture to be taken.”

“Not many men here do. My Buddy, only picture I got of him is of our weddin’.”

“You two married,” Boney asked.

“Well not yet Bonnie,” Kellie said truthfully, “that’s part of the reason we ran here. Our parents weren’t too pleased.”

“You’re old enough though,” Bonnie said.

“We thought so too. Ant’s gunna marry me. Just the timing wasn’t right.”

 

“Now all we need is someone to man the music,” a lean man of about 40 said scratching a stubbly cheek.

“I’ll do it,” Joey said.

“You will?”

“Sure,” Joey said, “I don’t have any with me, but I’d be more than happy to do it. I mean, I’m new here and I want to help out in anyway I can.”

 

“Daddy,” the little girl pleaded.

“Yes Precious,” Joey asked scanning the newspaper.

“How come we don’t get nothin’ from people?”

Joey set the paper down on the table and looked at her with a questioning glance.

“I’m just sayin’ that ever’body else gets stuff and we ain’t getting nothing. Peggy got a jump rope from her granny, and Willy got a brand new bike. How come I aint’ getting nothing?”

Joey ran a hand over his face. Kellie interrupted him before he could talk.

“Brianna Lynn Matolie, what did I tell you about talking like that!? You know how to talk right, do it.”

“But Momma, everyone else does it. I don’t wanna stick out.”

“You aren’t going to go anywhere talking like that. I’ve educated you.”

“Yes Momma. But that still doesn’t answer my question.”

Kellie looked at Joey who bite his lip. “We don’t have anyone outside precious.”

Brianna frowned, “No one?”

Joey solemnly shook his head and readjusted his paper.

“You’re not happy anymore,” Kellie said rolling over to face Joey on the bed.

“Of course I am,” Joey said, “why wouldn’t I be? I have my wife and daughter here with me. I’m not going from months on end without seeing you. I can see her grow up. I-”

“Joey,” Kellie said. The name sounded foreign on her lips, “Ant, why aren’t we having more children?”

Joey looked at her surprised, “You want more?”

“Well, yeah. I mean, you used to always talk about how big our family would be.”

“We can’t afford another one,” Joey answered, “well, I guess we could make some adjustments. I wouldn’t be able to go out to the pool hall anymore. And we don’t need to eat the name brand food. And-”

“Or,” Kellie said, “we could go back to Florida, live in a house, be normal.”

“Why isn’t this normal Kel?”

“We’re living in a friggin trailer Joe! It’s not that money matters to me, but look at Brianna. Do you want her growing up like that. You know how messed up Justin is and he didn’t even live this bad. Think about it. I’m happy wherever I am with you, but please just think about it. I know you miss everyone. I know you miss the music.”

Joey sighed and placed his hands behind his head. Through the darkness he looked at himself in the mirror closet two feet from the foot of the bed. Only six years and he didn’t even recognize himself.

Joey dropped his heavy bag on the side of the trailer and opened it, tryin to keep the flys out. He scratched his beard with a sweaty hand and sank into his chair.

“Ant,” Kellie called, “Brianna has to do a family tree project.”

“What?”

“We can’t do this ok. You tryin to hide your past is completely messing up her life.”

“She can lie,” Joey laughed, “no one’s gunna know.”

Kellie shook her head, “Still messing her up.”

 

“Gosh,” Joey said across the table from his daughter later that night, “I remember doing this is 7th grade. How old are you now?”

“Dad,” Brianna whined, “I’m in 6th. You know that.”

“I’m just playin with you Precious.”

“Ok,” Brianna said grabbing her pencil and getting ready to work, “rattle off people.”

Joey laughed, “Aren’t you supposed to know something about these people?”

Brianna sighed, “Yeah. But I thought I’d worry about that after the tree was made. So?”

Joey nodded, “Well, there’s me, you, and your mom.”

“Names?”

“Brianna!”

“Come on, this is professional homework here Dad.”

“Anthony Joseph Matolie, Stephanie Marie Matolie-”

“What was her maiden name?”

“Uh,” Joey thought, “you’ll have to ask your mom about her side.”

“You don’t even know that?”

“No, I know,” Joey answered, “but I know you two like your bonding time.”

“Whatever. So, did you have any brothers or sisters?”

Joey’s face lit up at that question. “I sure did. I had five brothers and a sister.”

“Wow. So how come none of them talk to you?”

“It’s a long story Precious, but basically I left them because I couldn’t handle things in my life.”

“You ran away Daddy?”

Joey cringed, “Not exactly.”

“Ok, you can tell me about that later. To the brothers. We’re they cute?”

“Not as cute as me,” Joey laughed, “Chris is the oldest. Let’s see, he would be 41. Man he was crazy. Josh would be 36 now. Lance would be 33. Justin would be 30. Oh god, I feel old.”

“That’s four Daddy.”

“I know,” Joey smiled, “let me take a breath though. Janine would be 42 and Steve is 38.”

“Your mom must have been popping kids out all the time,” Brianna said looking at her notes, “that’s 30, 33, you 35, 36, 38, 41, and 42. Dang. Why is there a 12 year gap?”

Joey laughed, “Justin and Chris might have been at the far spectrums of age, but they were way too similar and close.”

“Who were you closest with,” Brianna asked.

“Probably Steve or Lance. They were always there for me about everything. You know Lance is your godfather.”

“I have a godfather? So I’ve met him?”

“Oh gosh,” Joey smiled, “you’ve met them all. They used to spoil you like no tomorrow.”

“What about Grandma and Grandpa?”

“Oh,” Joey said, “Grandpa was a funny man. He was a fat one for sure.”

“A what? Daddy that ain’t nice.”

“Oh Brianna,” Joey laughed, “that’s what we called each other.”

“Ok.”

“But we were all one big happy family. And there were so many friends too.”

“Maybe you’ll have to tell me some other time,” Brianna said looking at the clock, “thanks for the help Daddy.” Joey gave her a kiss goodnight and sat in the kitchen staring at his hands.

“You ok Joe,” Kellie asked putting a hand on his shoulder.

“Yea,” Joey said giving her a weak smile, “just thinking about the old times. Do you realize that Justin’s 30 now? I remember when we were giving him a hard time because he wasn’t legal.”

“I know,” Kellie said. “Guess where I went?”

“The moon,” Joey asked.

“Silly, you know you’re the only one that takes me there. But close, the mall.”

“Kellie,” Joey warned.

“No, actually I wanted to pick something up for you. Bonnie said everyone was talking about this. I figured I’d let you have it and you can pass it on to Brianna.”

Joey took the brown wrapped package hesitantly. He could tell it was a cd and was afraid to see of what. He opened it and was met with a frightening reminder.

“I remember this,” Joey said choked up, “I drew this.”

“I know,” Kellie said hugging Joey’s shoulders, “and I’m sure you remember the promise he made to you.”

Joey nodded quietly and stared at the face of his friend.

“Hey Penny,” Brianna said holding her project to her chest waiting to get into the classroom.

“Hey B,” Penny responded, “this project was so boring.”

“I don’t think it was,” Brianna said walking in after the teacher had unlocked the door, “I learned a lot of cool stuff about my dad.”

“Alright,” the teacher smiled at the students. It wasn’t a real smile, it was a smile of pity for the kids that she didn’t think would go anywhere or do anything, “do we have an volunteers?”

“I’ll go,” Brianna said happily jumping up. “This is the Matolie family tree. This is me, I’m an only child. My mom had a younger sister. Her parents were divorced when she was five so she doesn’t know anything about her dad, or my grandpa. But my dad’s side is full of stuff. He had five brother and a sister, all within 12 years. My grandpa was a pil…”

“Is all that true,” Penny asked walking with Brianna home from school.

“Course it’s true,” Brianna defended, “you think I made all that up?”

“Well, maybe. I mean, you daddy don’t look like much anyway.”

Brianna stopped suddenly, “My Daddy is the best here. He loves me more than your daddy. At least my Daddy’s around. Where’s your Daddy?”

“At least I know my Daddy doesn’t lie to me,” Penny said before heading down her street.

“Brat,” Brianna called after her.

“Brianna we trusted you,” Kellie scolded, “when I said eight, I meant it.”

“I’m only an hour late Momma,” Brianna said, “I couldn’t get home.”

“Why didn’t you use your phone?”

“What phone? Momma, what are you talking about?”

Kellie slumped into the lounge chair not even realizing what she had done. “I’m sorry babe.”

“Does that have anything to do with you calling Daddy Joe.”

Kellie’s eyes shot up at her daughter, “What?”

“You call him Joe, he calls you Kellie. And why does he have that picture of guys in his drawer? Is Daddy gay?”

“Oh god,” Kellie said hitting her head against the back of the chair.

“You ok Momma,” Brianna asked rushing to her mom’s side.

“Brianna, get your father for me.”

“Where’s he at,” Brianna asked looking down the hallway of the trailer.

“He went over to Buddy’s house to help him with his car.”

“Alright Momma,” Brianna said still confused.

Joey sat gloomily across from his daughter. Next to him, Kellie held his hand reassuringly.

“So,” Brianna asked.

“Precious…”

“Hun, your Daddy’s name is Joseph and mine is Kellie. Our last name is not Matolie, but Fatone.”

“What?”

“I took it upon myself when you were younger to leave behind the life I had and give you what I could in a normal environment,” Joey started, “I wanted to escape the stresses and have a life that allowed me to be there. And I got to see you grow and go to your school’s open houses. I gave up so much so that I could be a father.”

“Daddy,” Briana said softly, “I would have loved you regardless. But why did you have to lie to me? I’m not anything that I thought I was. I, I don’t even know who you guys are.”

Kellie buried her head in Joey’s shoulder when Brianna ran from the trailer.

“Do you think you can go,” Peggy asked flicking a piece of grass at her bare feet.

“I don’t see why not,” Brianna answered, “my parents are still making up for the lying to me thing.”

“What did they lie about again,” Peggy asked.

“I ain’t telling,” Brianna laughed, “You’re always trying to get that out of me.”

“Never works.”

“Well duh.”

“Please, please, please, please, please,” Brianna and Peggy begged. They dramatically fell to their knees at Joey and Kellie’s feet.

“You’re too young to go to a concert by yourself,” Joey answered moving around the girls to the refrigerator.

“Mom,” Brianna whined.

“That’s what your dad says…”

“But Mrs. Matolie,” Peggy interrupted, “my aunt’s friend’s nephew’s cousin got me three tickets, so you can come too. And he might get backstage passes to.”

The two girls looked and each other and jumped giving a high five, “All right!”

“Three tickets?”

“Yup. You can come with us.”

“Well thank you for allowing me the chance,” Kellie said sarcastically.

“Pu-lease Momma,” Brianna said swatting at her mother playfully, “you were the one that went out and bough the cd the first day it came out.”

“Now Bria-”

“She has a point hun,” Joey smiled.

“You,” Kellie said pointing at him, “this is all you.”

“What,” Joey asked.

“You’re taking them.”

“I am doing nothing of the sort.”

“Brianna, go stay at Peggy’s tonight. I have some things to say to your father.”

“Ok Dad, we’re trying to be cool here,” Brianna laughed at Joey’s attire.

“Yea, Mr. Matolie,” Peggy continued, “what’s with the hat and sunglasses? It’s 4:30”

“Yeah,” Joey said purposefully pulling on his hat and glasses, “why are we so early?”

“Sound check,” the girls giggled gleefully.

“Heaven help me,” Joey whispered to himself.

Ahead, the girls waited impatiently for Joey to make his way to the stadium entrance.

“Can I help you,” the bored security guard asked.

“Yup,” Brianna said handing him the three backstage passes.

“Oh I’m sorry,” he said evilly, “sound check already started, can’t let anyone in.”

“What?”

“Rules,” he said shrugging.

“What’ the matter Precious,” Joey asked making his way to the downcast girls.

Brianna’s lip shook and she held her father close, “he can’t let us in. Daddy all I wanted to do was see someone like Justin.”

Joey wiped his daughter’s eyes and looked at her, “and why is that?”

“Because he lived in Boonie Hickville and now look at him. I wanna see someone that got out of where they were from.”

Joey sighed and gave her a hug. He ushered Peggy over and gave her a hug as well. Someone has to be a father to the kid.

“You girls stay right here. I’ll go see if I can talk him into it, ok?”

“Thank you Daddy.”

“Listen buddy,” the security guard said when Joey stood next to him, “rules are rules. I’d really like to let them in, but I can’t.”

“Well,” Joey said angrily, “Justin does not to sound check on his own free will until 5.”

“We’re a Justin expert, huh?”

“No,” Joey said taking off his glasses, “I just happen to be a friend.”

“Ain’t gunna work on me,” the security man said trying to ignore the familiarity in Joey’s face.

“Just fuckin’ get Justin on the talkie and let me talk to him,” Joey said glancing back at the girls.

“Uh, yeah, ok.”

“Look,” Joey said grabbing him by the collar, “If Joseph Fatone wants to talk to Justin Timberlake, you better as hell get him on the line.”

“Jo-jo-joey?”

“NOW,” Joey yelled.

“Yes, sir.”

“Well it’s been a blast, but someone’s got to go so opening acts can start. I’ll see y’all in a few,” Justin said happily bouncing off the stage.

“This is gunna be so cool,” Peggy cried along with the couple hundred other people that had made their way to the sound check.

“But how’d you get us in,” Brianna asked her father.

“Not now Precious,” Joey said, “just enjoy your show.”

Joey wiped a hand over his face and was thankful for the floppy hat to protect him from the sun. He hadn’t noticed how much he had let himself go when he saw how in shape Justin was. He was about to get up and grab some food before the rush of fans were allowed into the stadium, but a familiar figure kept him glued to his seat.

“What the hell is wrong with you,” the large, dark man yelled reaching and smacking Joey upside the head.

“Daddy,” Brianna cried gripping Peggy.

“Dude, Dre, not if front of the kids.”

“Oh wow,” Dre said turning and glimpsing Brianna, “you’re so big now. I remember you when you were as big as my hand.”

“Daddy,” Brianna questioned.

“But, back to what I was saying, what is wrong with you?”

Joey motioned that he wanted to talk to Dre away from the girls.

“So is this a one time thing, or are you thinking about coming back?”

“I’m always thinking about coming back,” Joey answered, “it’s just been so long.”

“Will you stay, after the concert I mean?”

“Why?”

“See Justin. Think Brianna might like to meet him.”

Joey looked out at Brianna who was talking animatedly with a few other girls who were sitting in the row behind them.

“I can’t believe he suckered you into working for him.”

“It’s the type of job with security,” Dre said, “Justin Timberlake will always need security.”

“Hey, you know what I heard,” the bright blonde behind Brianna said.

“What,” Peggy asked.

“Well, me and Cindy-”

“Cindy and I, Shannon.”

“Whatever. We heard that all of Nsync is going to be here tonight.”

“For real,” Peggy asked, eyes growing wide, “even Joey?”

“Well, no,” Shannon said, “who knows what happened to him. Who cares either?”

“Joey who,” Brianna asked.

“Joey ’The Fat One’ Fatone,” Cindy told her.

Brianna bit her lip and looked out at her dad giving the large man a hug. Something weird was going on. Definitely weird.

Joey found himself clapping rhythmically to the drums pounding during one of Justin’s costume changes. The concert had been quiet a surprise to him. He has always though that Justin wanted, almost needed, the flashy lights and moving walkways. This concert had shown him otherwise. But suddenly a loud bang and burst of lights lit up the stage yet again as Justin came out.

“As you might know, I was in another band a few years back. I honestly was the last one to give up home on the group, but with the disappearance of one of my brothers, we couldn’t go on. Tonight though, I would like to make a dedication,” Justin said slowly into his mic. “I wrote this song with no knowledge of what the future would hold, but it’s fitting. Joey, this song’s for you.”

Justin pulled himself on top of a stool and the band began to play behind him. Older fans who recognizes the song began to scream, but silenced themselves by the look on Justin’s face through the large screen.

“Daddy,” Brianna asked pulling on Joey’s arm.

“Uh-hm,” Joey said not taking his eyes off the stage.

“I didn’t know you knew this song.”

“Precious, everyone from my generation knows this song,” Joey answered. Brianna seemed satisfied with that answer and left Joey to reminisce in the song.

Justin stood with his left hand balled and his right clenching the microphone. Those in the first few rows could actually see the tears in his eyes as he sang.

“But the truth remains,” he sighed, “you’re gone.”

Joey slowly opened his eyes and felt for his seat.

“Are you ok Daddy,” Brianna asked.

“I’ll be ok,” Joey said breathing heavily.

“Are you sure,” Brianna asked again.

Joey began to nod and Peggy’s voice interrupted father and daughter.

“He’s going to beat box!!”

“Ahh,” Brianna cried turning her attention back to the stage.

“That was the best concert ever,” Brianna cried through the smokey aftermath.

“I’m surprised I can still talk,” Peggy laughed.

“I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight,” Brianna said picking up her program and t-shirt and preparing to leave.

The girls started walking up the stairs, gushing about the concert.

“Hey,” Joey called from their row, “where do you think you’re goin?”

“Home,” Peggy asked.

“This way,” Joey replied nodding towards the stage.

“But Daddy,” Brianna objected.

“Pass,” the guard asked not even bothering to look up.

Joey handed him his driver’s license and took a step back. The head of the guard shot up after looking at the license.

“No shit,” he cried, “I thought he was lying.”

“Yea,” Joey said taking his license back, “do you think I could, you know, get in?”

“Sure,” he said opening the gate to let Joey through.

“By the way,” Joey said pushing the girls through in front of him, “this is Brianna.”

“She’s so big!”

“Daddy,” Brianna asked looking around confused.

“What’s going on Mr. Matolie,” Peggy asked grabbing Joey’s hand that wasn’t already occupied by his daughter’s.

“Matolie? Couldn’t you have thought of a better name,” a hostile voice called from the left. The three heads turned to find who the voice belonged to.

“If you were going to skip out on us, you should have had a better name in the works.”

Joey couldn’t even talk. He hadn’t even imagined what it would be like to go back, to see any of them again. He had imagined what it would be like to perform again, but he always managed to have the images skip over the time he wasn’t there.

“Guess I’m not that creative Chris,” Joey answered.

“And what,” Chris asked advancing to them, “now that you want something, now you come back and use your celebrity status to get here? That isn’t even fair Joe. We work this everyday, we tried. And you think you can waltz back in and get the same treatment as bef-”

“I’m sorry,” Joey cut him off, “if you want us to leave, we will.” Joey turned to leave.

“Wait,” Brianna said softly, “that’s your brother?”

Joey shrugged and nodded.

“Is that why you left? Because he was mean and yelled?”

Joey looked back at Chris who had heard her comment, “No Precious, he’s one of the reasons I came back.”

Joey and Chris walked stiffly next to each other down the venue hallways. Brianna and Peggy walked behind them still contemplating the situation. It seemed that everyone here knew her father and her, but she didn’t know anyone. And everyone was surprised to see them. She just wanted to know what was going on.

“Oh my god,” Peggy cried clutching Brianna’s arm.

“What, ow, that hurts,” Brianna asked.

“Look,” Peggy pointed down the hall where a bunch of people had just left a room.

“Ahh,” Brianna yelled grabbing Peggy’s arm, “Daddy, daddy, it’s him.”

Joey and Chris stopped and spun on their heels. But it was too late to stop them, the girls had already taken a dash down the hallway.

“Who would have thought you’re raise a teenie,” Chris said jogging down the hall with Joey.

“Justin, Justin,” the girls yelled out of breath.

“Hey,” he smiled down at them through the security, “how’d you get back here?”

“I’m not really sure,” Peggy answered.

“My dad was like, girls go this way, and we were like, our cars outside, but he didn’t listen. And then the guard at the gate like jumped on my dad and was like where were you? And then some mean old guy started yelling at him. Turns out he’s my uncle Chris, but he’s not very nice. And then-”

“Chris,” Justin asked.

“Yeah,” Peggy jumped in, “kinda short, weird hair, funny clothes.”

“Oh shit,” Justin said grinning, “Chris.”

One of the security guards looked at the girls questionably, “Who did you say your dad was?”

“Tony Matolie,” Brianna said, “oh no, actually he said it’s really something like Joey Fatone or something.”

All movement in the hallway stopped and all eyes were fixed on Brianna.

“What?”

“I, um-”

“Brianna! Peggy,” two voiced called rounding the corner. The men skidded to a stop when they saw the hallway in front of them.

“Oh fuck,” Chris said spotting Justin.

The younger of the three advanced on the two and stood centered in the hallway.

“You,” Justin said pointing at Chris, “you’re supposed to be babysitting.” He then turned to Joey. “And you…”

There was a thick heaviness in the air between them. Neither knew what to say or do. Years of unanswered questions and missed memories mixed with the fear and anticipation felt by all. Joey could hear his heart beating against his forehead.

“Good show,” Joey offered extending a hand.

“I’ve done better,” Justin said wrapping an arm around Joey.

 



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki