The Dance by SparklyBubbles2


Number of reviews: 4
Print: Printer

- Text Size +


It was a beautiful spring day as Lance wiped his clammy hands on his tailored black tux. He had been anxiously waiting for this day since he had first laid eyes on her. No doubt, she was beautiful, but now he would get to see her in all her glory. The large church doors opened, revealing what seemed to be an angel dressed in white. A piercing light glowed around her, showing everyone what he already knew. She was an angel sent from Heaven. The veil hid her face, but he had every inch memorized as a picture in his heart. As she approached, Lance’s heart beat faster. This was it. “Today we witness the joining of these two lives…” Then their eyes met.

Beauty. Peace. Joy. Charisma. Dazzling. These were only a few words that Lance used to describe Melanie. She’d been his light, his angel since high school. He was the shy nice guy and she was the sweet southern belle. Everyone adored her, but no one more than Lance. He lived for her smile, her laugh and even the way her long brown hair bounced as she walked. She was his perfection; she was his forever. And even now, as he danced with her at the reception, nothing had changed.

Looking back on the memory of the dance we shared ‘neath the stars above, for a moment, all the world was right…

Lance and Melanie became inseparable. Puppy love, some called it, but they knew better. She made him laugh and he made her feel as beautiful as she was. They didn’t need anything else. They built an imaginary future, one where he worked for NASA and she a teacher, but more importantly, one where they were together. However, their future was tested when he got his call to join *NSYNC. “This is your chance to get out of here…you’d be crazy not to take it!” she said. He listened.

How could I have known that you’d ever say goodbye?


After one year of being away, Lance returned with open arms to his love. She had changed, physically and mentally. But then again, so had he. They had experienced a whole year of life apart. Things seemed to be perfect again, but there was just something missing. He loved her, and she him, but they both knew they wouldn’t be able to adjust to his new demanding life together. “I’ll wait for you,” she said. And once again, he listened.

Our lives are better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I’d have to miss the dance.

As he stared into her eyes, seeing the same twinkle and the perfect shade of green that had become his favorite color, a part of him wished he could take back the years he missed looking into them. He held her tightly in his arms as they swayed to the music, sensing the internal fire she always lit. His strong hands guided her gently, feeling as if they were molded for her body. Her scent tickled his nose and he took in as much as he could while imagining the mist lightly falling upon her neck. Melanie felt his chest grow, causing her to smile. Her smooth ivory skin brushed against his cheek and felt his warmth feeling throughout her body. She loved being in his arms. She always felt safe, nurtured and loved. She pulled back and smiled at him. She couldn’t believe where she was, what she was doing: dancing with the man she felt so many feelings for, a man she longed to have in her life forever, all in this perfect dress, in the perfect day. She had dreamed of this moment for so long; every last detail mimicked her day dreams. Staring into his eyes, they seemed like green globes, showing her the only world she wanted to know. Melanie smiled and Lance took notice of her pink lips, how soft they were to kiss. But the feeling that overwhelmed him was seeing her in this gorgeous dress, glowing, and in his arms.

Holding you, I held everything. For a moment, wasn’t I the king?

They stared intimately at each other as their bodies took over. Everyone had seemed to disappear in their moment. “You know, today I vowed to love my husband for the rest of my life,” she whispered softly in his ear. Husband. It was a word that rang through his head; a word that he associated with bells, springtime, love…her. “And I always knew that when I took those vows, when I walked down that aisle, that it’d be you I saw at the altar.” He gently smiled, for he had only wished to hear those vows and say them in return.

“Excuse me? Can I cut in?” a voice said. Suddenly, the music came back along with all the guests smiling at them. Lance turned to see Brandon, his best friend from high school. He stood tall in a similar black tux, smiling at the pair.

“Yeah, go ahead,” he said, giving Brandon her hand. He smiled once again, stealing another glance into her emerald eyes. “After all,” he said, still looking into her, “she’s your bride.” He let go of her small hand, feeling the coldness of the metal on her finger, and watched her sink into Brandon’s arms. Melanie reached back for Lance, attempting to give him one more hug before she went away with her groom, her new life.

“I wish it could have been you,” she whispered before leaving a small kiss. Once again, he listened.

Our lives are better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I’d have to miss the dance.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki