Sinking Companion by justified115


Number of reviews: 42
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Author's Note: Sorry about the delay, and this being so short. I wanted to give you guys something before I freaked out. More characters are being added in, and I'm really excited about getting things rolling. Unfortunately, I'm thinking about changing my original outline, so there will probably be more writer's blocks to come. My computer is fixed once again, so I'll try to keep writing. But, don't worry if I don't update for a while. I'm not giving up on this, I'm just a perfectionist, and I don't you guys to read something that I don't feel is up to my potential. Review please... Loves :)

“Oh my god!” I yelped, feeling the EXTREMELY hot liquid pour all over my shirt, seeping through, and burning my skin like fire.

I felt hands grasp my arms, and start swearing. I didn’t even want to open my eyes. After a few deep, and shaky, breaths, I looked up to see a guy, just about my age, with a horrified look on his face. He was staring at my boobs, which I thought was considerably rude, considering the fact that I now had hot chocolate all over me.

Before I could even make a remark, he said, “Oh my god, I’m really sorry. I didn’t even see you. I wasn’t even paying attention to-”

He just kept going and going. I stood there, trying not to wince at my burning skin, and also trying not to scream at him to get me a towel or something. He was just standing in front of me, rambling on and on about his deepest apologies.

"It's fine." I managed to get in, "Do you think you could get me a towel or something?"

"Oh right... Of course." he said quickly, before turning to ask someone for a towel.

As he was waiting, I could see a part of his face, and let's just say it wasn't that bad. I mean, for a random person that spilled hot chocolate on me. He had short light brown hair that was messily scattered, and looked great with his tan skin, which I didn't know if it was real or not. I mean, who has a tan in the middle of October? But, aside from that, he was good-looking. Way to go, Laney. Picking up a hot guy on accident.

The burn had almost passed from my mind, but when I saw the towel held in front of me, I grabbed it, and padded it on my shirt. It definitely wasn't helping that much.

"I can't even tell you how sorry I am. I wasn't even watching. I was totally off in space... I do that way too much..." he mumbled quietly, "Anyway... I'm uh… Jake. Jake Nevins."

I still wasn't finished drying my shirt, but it's not like I was getting much dry. The damage had already been done. I wiped my free hand on my jeans and shook his, noticing his strong grasp.

"Laney." I said, nodding, giving him a small smile. I mean, I don’t want to seem too interested. Right?

“Listen… I’m really sorry about you know… spilling your coffee… so why don’t you let me buy you another?” He offered, and added a little hopeful grin for extra points.

I really didn’t know what to say. I wasn’t a total loner that had never talked to a guy before but I definitely wasn’t a boy magnet or anything. But then, I realized what he said.

“Actually… it was a hot chocolate.” I mumbled, still trying to think of words to say.

“Well then, a hot chocolate it is.” He laughed, and walked towards the counter to order.

I guess my mumbling was a ‘yes’ then. It’s not like I minded or anything. I didn’t have anyone to hang out with anyway. I sighed, and walked towards a table, not wanting to draw any more attention than I already had. My skin was still hot, but then, I guess once I got outside, it would feel better, and I wouldn’t be freezing my butt off.

I played with my hands on the table, trying not to think about my day. Which had sucked, if you weren’t getting my drift. But before I could drown too deep into my problems, Jake sat down in the seat opposite me.

“Here you go…” he smiled, “A hot chocolate, with extra chocolate, and whipped cream.” Maybe it this wasn’t so bad.

“So Laney, tell me about yourself.” I guess when I took his offer for a new drink, he got the impression I needed company. Am I that big of a loser?

“Ummm… well… I don’t know. What do you want to know?” I replied, being really careful with my hot chocolate. I definitely wouldn’t get a refund if I spilled this one.

“Whatever. Why you’re in New York? Or if you live here? What your last name is? What kind of food do you like? Why a pretty girl like you is in the middle of NYC, at a coffee shop, by herself?” he inquired, giving me that smile again.

I looked down, trying to hide my red cheeks, once more, trying to think of the right words to say.

“Well, let’s see. I don’t live here; I’m here with my brother. My last name is not really a necessity to our conversation. I love pizza, with cheese, and nothing else. I mean except for the sauce and everything. And, a girl like me is sitting at a coffee shop in New York City alone, because my brother and his girlfriend ditched me, so now I’m wandering around this city having no idea where anything is, so I stopped at the first place I could afford, and not feel like I totally don’t fit in, because I’m not your average “Let’s go buy Coach purses and thongs for fun” kind of girl.”

Before I could even register the words that had just totally spilled out of my mouth, Jake started laughing. And when I say laughing, I don’t mean a little chuckle from a stupid joke, but like the kind of eyes watering laugh. Was what I had said really that stupid? I didn't really even remember.

“You know what Laney? That’s perfectly OK. I’m not big on those kinds of girls either… I mean except for the thongs.” He replied, still trying to control his laughter.

“Oh. Well good.” I nodded, starting to realize the phrase ‘Laughter is contagious.’

“Well I guess since I know so much about you, you’ll want to know something about me.” He spoke, taking a deep breath after his long escapade of hilarity.

“Sure. Why not? Can’t be anything more embarrassing than that.” I was beginning to gain more confidence as I sat there across from him. It’s like his presence was making me comfortable enough to show a side of me that I don’t show people within five minutes of meeting them. Six if you counted the spilling coffee part.

“Well, I’m Jake. I live in Florida. Tallahassee to be exact. I’m here on some business. I love steak, because there is nothing better. And I’m wandering the streets alone because I’ve got some time off, and I wanted to do a little exploring before I left. And I figured coffee, or hot chocolate in your case, would be a good way to start the day.”

“Well, I must’ve jump started your day then. At least you won’t be as shocked when some like pickpockets you or something.” I laughed, hoping he would get the joke.

“Yeah, well, I think I would be more pissed than anything.”

“Who wouldn’t?”

“True. I don’t think anyone would be relieved.”

“Yeah…” I trailed off.

“So whaddya say?” he asked me.

“About what?”

“About exploring with me. You’re wandering. I’m wandering. Why not wander together?” he shrugged his shoulders, with a little spark of hope.

I guess he was right. I didn’t really have any plans anyway. I didn’t know where to go. At least I could not know where to go with someone else. A cute someone else.




“So you’re telling me that he never said anything to you?” Jake chuckled, finding so much amusement in the fact that I had totally embarrassed myself, once again, in the shop we had last been at.

“Well, he didn’t say anything, but if looks could kill…” I laughed. Unfortunately, of my many talents, balance was not one of them. Just a playful shove from Jake, and I tumbled straight a rack. Let’s just say the manager wasn’t really happy with my clumsiness. I mean, it’s not like I am either. Sheesh.

After escaping the coffee shop, we spent the day roaming around New York City. Taking a taxi, gallivanting about Times Square, and eating some of New York’s finest. Cheesecake. As the sun started to fade, and the lights began to seem brighter than ever, we started walking back towards where we had first been “set up”. The coffee shop. I told him he didn’t have to walk me back to my hotel, because then he would have to get back to his. We finally decided to just end our day there, and leave it at that.

But, truthfully, I had more fun today than I have in a long time, and I didn’t want to just “leave it at that”.

“Yeah, well… you got off easy for all that trouble you caused.”

“Me? You’re the one that pushed me into it!” I said, accusingly, a smile still plastered onto my face.

“Well, I guess I just couldn’t keep my hands off you.” He looked at me, with a glint in his eyes.

That was definitely a new line for me. It actually showed interest. In me. I felt this small tingly feeling in the pit of my stomach. It was a new sensation, and with each passing second, it felt as though it was spreading all over my body.

“Well, I must be very… touchable… then.” I whispered, mentally slapping myself for sounding so stupid.

“Yeah… you are.” His hand came up from his side, and slowly rested on my cheek. I felt goose bumps forming on my arms, as those sensations kept growing. Our eyes were locked together, searching for anything else before we parted.

His face leaned towards mine. Anxiety grew within me, as I could see more of him than I ever could. My eyes fluttered shut, and I felt his breath on my face. Warm, and still smelt of coffee. Nothing could have surprised me more as his lips lightly touched my cheek, with such gentleness; I almost fell weak at the knees. Everything had happened so fast; I couldn’t even really comprehend my feelings. Slowly, he pulled away, still resting his hand on my face, as I opened my eyes.

“I had a great day Laney. Don’t be a stranger.” He whispered, as I felt the warmth of his hand suddenly absent from my cheek. He took a small slip of paper from his pocket, and placed it in my hand. I looked up at him one last time, and tried to memorize his smile. I didn’t know if I would ever see it again. He stepped back, and turned away, as I tried to control the rapid beating of my heart. I felt as though it would pop out of my chest any second.

His figure walked further and further until I could hardly make it out. I turned toward the direction of my hotel, and started walking. I had gotten about half way there when I suddenly realized that he had purposefully skipped my lips, and kissed my cheek. Maybe he noticed my hesitation. Or maybe he figured out that I wasn’t that “First-date-if-you-could-call-it-that-kissing” kind of girl.

Or maybe he was just a gentleman. And to me, that was the answer I stuck with, as I gleefully made my way to my hotel.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki