Sinking Companion by justified115


Number of reviews: 42
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Author's Note: Sorry for the delay again... But I really want to make each chapter really good, and not just some crap that I wrote in 10 minutes. Hope you like it... and I love reviews :) They're cool.


“So, you couldn’t just come back, like, in the afternoon, so I wouldn’t have to be completely freaked out.” Justin asked, his sarcastic tone haunting me. I sat on my bed, the one that I was sleeping in by myself (compared to the two little love bunnies), and tried to concentrate on taking off my shoes. I was truly about to burst at Justin… in any second.

“I just figured that I was in New York City, and I wasn’t about to sit-” I got out before Justin’s annoying voice interrupted me… again.

“Right! You’re in New York City. Not Chuck E. Cheese’s. You can’t just roam around wherever the hell you want to.”

“Fine, Justin… you’re right. I should’ve just stayed in the hotel room all day, and waited, in this closed space of nothingness, for you guys to come back from your fun day. Maybe I could’ve spent my countless hours of solitude watching Jerry Springer or Maury. You know… shows that are way more interesting than exploring a new city.”

“Thank you. Good thing you learned your lesson.” He replied, knowing I was being my sarcastic self once again. I, honestly, could care less if Justin wanted me to sit here in this hellhole for a day. I would still go out and do something. Something.

“So… how was he?” Angela asked, suddenly barging into the conversation, like some stupid jack in the box. I threw her a look, undoubtedly catching her glance that screamed, “Gotcha!”

“HE!?!?! Who in the fuckin’ world is “he”? Huh? Who?” Justin interrogated.

“HE…” I yelled, imitating Justin’s loud, angry voice “is no one. Chill out.”

“Well, then why did Angela mention it?”

That was a good question. How in the world did she know I was with some guy? I definitely didn’t mention anything about be with Jake, so… what was she up to?

“I don’t know. Why did you mention it Angela? I never said anything about a ‘him’? So where do you get off making judgments about me, and trying to get me in some sort of trouble with my brother?” I asked, becoming more engrossed in the unfolding situation that was taking place.

“Well, I mean…” she stuttered, sounding a little taken aback at my forwardness, “You just had this look on your face. It’s a girl thing.”

“Right. Me and you have talked for all of about 20 minutes since we’ve met, and you think you know me enough to make a stupid comment like that, by the look on my face? I don’t think so.” I walked up to her, staring her down.

“Well excuse me for trying to be friendly. I didn’t you know you’d blow a roof.” She mumbled.

Blow a roof? I didn’t know my anger, which is incredibly called for, could be described as blowing a roof.

“Don’t judge me. You have nothing to say for yourself.” I rolled my eyes.

“You know what? I’m sick of you treating me like crap. I’ve done nothing to you; so don’t act like you’re all high and mighty and shit. Cause you’re not. Get over yourself.” She shouted, her eyes becoming watery and her voice become weaker with every word.

She looked at me for once more before turning around and running into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her. Then there was silence.



I won’t lie and say that my whole trip to New York was awesome… because it wasn’t. After that little episode, Justin pretty much gave me the silent treatment for the majority of the trip, and I won’t even tell you about Angela. She just enjoyed every minute of the attention he was showering her with. The guys were more than friendly to me, sensing the sudden hostility between my “roommates” and me. Justin did all his publicity junk, had some vacation time, spent some precious time with Angela, and came back home. His trip sounded like loads of fun. Like… loads.

Mine was crap. With the exception of Jake. Who I still couldn’t get out of my head. His brown hair, scrappily covering his head, and his bright green eyes staring at me. Staring at me. It sounded odd, but yes… I did say me.

Anyway, before I get too lost in my imagination, I had to focus. I was unfortunately back at my lame job. Stupid Rite Aid. Couldn’t people shop and pay for their “conveniences” without questions? That’s what the stupid self check out things are for. I think we need some of those.

I walked in through the automatic doors, feeling relieved to see Brenda standing behind the cash register, as usual, and reading one of the newest tabloids.

“Hey Brenda. Long time no see.” I said, looking down at her magazine trying to see exactly who she was so interested in reading about.

“Oh my Jesus! Girl… I haven’t seen you in FOREVER! Get your small ass over here and give me a hug, and then you can spill all the details I’ve been longing to her about Jake. You know, since you couldn’t just tell me about on the phone.” She replied laughing, as she squeezed me tightly. I have to admit, it was nice to just have a friend who was glad to see me. Just for me. Who was actually concerned and interested in things I had to say. Unlike some other anonymous individuals.

“Well let me go drop my junk off, and then I’ll dish. It’s not as much as those lousy things you’re reading but “”

“Who cares girl? Hurry your ass up.” She directed me to the employees’ room in the back of the store.

As I made my way down one of the aisles, I noticed a tall guy walking towards me with a clipboard in his hands. Unlike Jake, whom I was comparing to every guy I saw, he was pretty pale and had dark curly hair hanging over his eyes. I couldn’t even tell you if he was good looking or not because I couldn’t even see half of his face.

“You must be Miss Laney Timberlake.” He spoke. His voice was low, and kind of soft. Not inaudible, but definitely not loud. His tone did sound somewhat sarcastic, though.

“Yes. That would be me. Can I help you?” I asked, wondering just exactly he wanted from me. It was then that I noticed he was wearing a Rite Aid nametag that supplied me with the name “Nathaniel”. Nathaniel? Couldn’t he just have said Nathan?

“Yeah… I’m wondering why you’re” he looked down at his watch, “15 minutes late on your first day back from a long vacation. Shouldn’t you be ready to work after a nice trip to the Big Apple?”

O.K., so he was beginning to freak me out with how much he knew about me. What was he? The new manager or something?

“No, I just “”

“Right. You just thought you could come in late as could be, because the last manager accepted your irresponsibility. Only because of your heartthrob brother, whom I have no affection for. But I, as new manager of Rite Aid in the Orlando sector, am telling you right now that I won’t accept any tardiness or laziness just because of your family status.” He finished looking at me with a fierce look in his eye.

New manager? Geez, I was just kidding. I wasn’t really expecting a new manager. At least the old one liked me. And I have to admit, her little advantages here and there were definitely nice. But this guy seemed to resent me for it.

“Don’t mind me changing the subject or anything, but how old are you and why are you here… and a manager?” I asked, wondering why a guy his age

“I’m 23, and trying to finish working myself through school. I major in photography, and I have no soft spots for celebrities or their sisters. But if you’re ever wondering how to get on my good side, I love a good plate of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and cooked broccoli. Maybe with a beer on the side just to add to the macho man thing.”

“Right.” I nodded, acting as if I totally understood where he was coming from.

“But right now, you’re not even close to being on good terms with me, especially after being late. So go get ready, and get to work. I’m not in the mood for a Timberlake to be whining their high voices around my store.” He began to walk away.

“Wait… I just have one more question.” I said before he could get too far. I don’t even know why I was still talking to this guy after his numerous insults towards me, for which were completely ridiculous. I do not have a high voice.

“Yes?” he asked impatiently.

“Do I have to call you Nathaniel? Doesn’t Nathan work?” I swear I saw him crack a smile, before he snapped back to his nerd, bossy self.

“Only my friends, or at least people I remotely like, get to call me that.” He said, as he turned back and finished walking to the front of the store.

Ouch. Burn by the new manager. Nice Laney. Being burned by a hot guy with hot chocolate. Being burned by your new manager, who was quite perplexing; on your first day back at work. I think I’ll try and stick with Jake. At least he doesn’t make me call him Jacobson or something.



“So, he kissed you right on the cheek? He didn’t slip you anything on the mouth? At all?” Brenda asked me, as we sat around the cash register a while later.

“No. But still… it was amazing. And he gave me his number afterwards. It was so sweet.” I said, reliving the moment I had been thinking for the past two weeks.

“Wow. You don’t see many guys like that these days. And he wasn’t like a geek or anything?” Brenda questioned, sounding amazed at how he didn’t try getting in my pants after our first “date”. Or whatever you wanted to call it.

“No… he was… like god. If we were in high school, he would be that perfect football quarterback that every girl was in love with. Absolutely gorgeous.”

“Jesus Laney, you really got one didn’t you?” she laughed, looking happy for me.

“I got more than one… he’s like… three. Hot, nice, and…. Hot.” I giggled.

“Right… since hot, nice, and hot are three totally separate things.” She replied, a small smirk on her face.

“Yeah. With him you could say anything. Even if it’s like… stupid. He’s just that amazing.”

“I’m so happy for you Laney. And he lives here… which is beyond ironic. I really hope this works out because you deserve a man Laney. More than anyone I know.” She nodded, giving me a heart-warming look.

“Thanks Bren” I sighed, hoping to myself the same thing. As much I wanted to sit here and dream about all the new possibilities lurking around me, I knew that I couldn’t get myself too far in over my head. My thoughts were interrupted as “Nathaniel” came sauntering down the main aisle, with an instigating look in his eye.

“Hey ladies, I’m sure you’re both sitting around, looking incredibly unproductive and incompetent, but actually doing work, right? Because, you know, I’m not here to allow any employees to take a leisurely day job.”

Who does this guy think he is? Some superstar? Give me a break. He’s the freakin’ manager of Rite Aid. What a nerd.

“Actually, we were being productive. We were having a normal conversation, and reassuring our customers that this store is actually a standard, useful place to buy their necessities, rather than some circus run by the headmaster of the freaks.” I shot back, becoming annoyed by his narcissistic attitude.

“Are you insinuating,” he paused, walking closer to me, not looking pleased, “that I am insane and peculiar enough to involve myself in the crazy riots that surround a circus?”

“No,” I laughed, “I’m saying, that you need to, not only take a chill pill, but stop acting like some psychotic person, who feels the need to make a small convenience store some extravagant, perfect utopia. It’s ridiculous.”

“Really?” he questioned me, now standing directly in front of me, with his tall frame towering over me. I had to admit, it was a little intimidating, but no way was I going to back down on this guy.

“Yes. Why would I be so loquacious if I wasn’t completely serious?” I said. Using big words was never my thing, I always like to sound intelligent, but this guy sounded like Einstein Jr. or something.

I saw a small smile appear on his lips, and I almost thought I could see the wheels in his brain working to figure out a good enough comeback.

“Fine. Then I guess we’ve already got our preconceived notions about one another, so why waste our time trying to change ‘em?” he offered, still wearing a small (very small) grin.

“I guess you’re right.” I finished, returning his smile, turning around, and passing Brenda as I made my way down one of the aisles to get a little work done.





© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki