Everything He Never Wanted by mourningnovember


Number of reviews: 78
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Chapter Two: The Irony

The constant rapping on a door slowly caused the heavy eyelids of sleeping person to open up in aggravation. Praying that the sound would go away, Justin Timberlake nestled deeper under the array of sheets and a comforter and closed the fabric in tighter around his body. When he finally felt his tension go away, the knocking continued and with a groan he climbed out of the cocoon he had created. Shuffling his way through the semi-clean hallway and foyer, Justin didn’t bother looking out of the peephole before he unlocked and opened the door “What?” his voice came out more of a husky grumble than actual words.

His eyes fell on a petite woman, her blonde curls pulled back into a ponytail. Casual clothing hung on her body and the sadness on her face wasn’t missed by his tired eyes. “You forgot to get me” her soft, southern voice fell with disappointment and Justin was witness to the fragile girl in front of him, tears threatening to spill down her cheeks at any moment.

Immediately he came to her attention and bent down to capture her into his arms, “I am so sorry”

“Justin! I was so scared, do you realize you left me to fend for myself in a city that I know absolutely nothing about while you’re in here sleeping the entire day away! It’s one in the afternoon and I know you have some kind-“

“It’s one?” he cut off her angry words and let out some unidentified sound before turning on the lights and yanking her inside, “I’ll make it up to you Maddie, I promise…please, just help me get ready. I have a tour meeting in an hour and there is no way I’m going to make it there in time”

Sighing, Maddie paused and looked at his disheveled features, “What were you doing last night?”

“Maddie, I refuse to have this conversation” he stripped himself of all modesty and stood with his back facing her while digging through the closet. When he was met with her silence he rambled on about staying out late with friends of his. Pulling on a button down shirt and jeans, Justin completed his rushed ensemble with a baseball hat and a pair of sunglasses.

“Were you drunk?”

Her voice was timid; almost afraid to hear the answer and Justin scolded himself for getting into such a deep relationship with this girl. He had reunited with her in Memphis the last Christmas. He remembered her vaguely from various town events that he had went to with his mother. Its not like he didn’t like her, or maybe even have deeper feelings than that…but she was so persuasive and so easily wounded that he didn’t know how he was going to keep her happy all the time.

“I don’t know, I don’t have a hangover so I think I just danced the night away” for the first time he leaned in and kissed her with a slow and thought out affection, “I’m so sorry” When he felt her relax against his shoulder he knew she would be fine.

“Its okay” she mumbled, swatting his side before groaning, “Why do I always give into you so easily?”

He raised his eyebrows and smiled towards the ceiling, “because I’m simply irresistible” he broke out into song and shoved her out of the doorway along side him, cupping her small frame beside his with the length of his arm.

“You’re crazy,” she giggled and Justin looked down on her with appreciation. She was a good girl. She kept him happy and kept him sane. That’s just about all someone needed.

----------------------------------------------------

“I think I like it”

Ella’s attention had been on a burgundy piece of fabric, but as soon her thoughts were interrupted, she had her eyes set on Goldie who was holding up a cowboy hat that had been splattered with random personality. Chewing on her lip, Ella nodded slowly and tipped the hat down further on Goldie’s creased eyes, “I think I like it too”

Bending down and weaving her hands through multiple piles of clothing, Ella smelled the musky scent and had to wonder to herself about the people that had formerly worn these clothes. Were they rich, handsome men and women who paraded themselves about on yachts and country club meetings? Or were they plain ordinary people who had no idea that their unwanted junk was someone else’s treasure?

The bell to their door rang, letting it be known that someone had entered the store. Both of them turned their heads from work and looked up. Nicola stood with a hand on her hip, chic sunglasses covering her small face and a scarf tied strategically around her neck, “I don’t think it’s going to work”

Ella fought the urge to roll her eyes and sighed, “Clay?”

“Yes” Nicola sat herself down on the floor and groaned, letting her body fall back into a pile of pillows, “I mean, how can you love someone so much, yet be so annoyed and irritated with them that you just want to throw up you’re hands and tell him to go shove everything up his a- you know what? I don’t care, Clay’s not here, I’m just going to say it! Shove it up his ASS!”

Muffling her laughter, Ella smiled, “I suppose you got into another hard core fight with the man?” she honestly had no idea how Clay and Nicola had been together for so long already. They had major arguments and misunderstandings all the time, yet none was strong enough to break them. How could two people so imperfect for each other, sort through all of their problems with such ease? At the beginning of the relationship, Ella had thought Clay was a great guy who would fit strangely well with Nicola. But as the months went on, she had figured out that he was trying to hold Nicola under lock and key. Every thing that made her different, Clay was trying to mold her out of.

“Yes, and I think his pompous, austere mother is the one behind all of our recent scuffles” Nicola sniffled and took off her sunglasses, revealing eyes that had been reddened by tears, “I’m just so sick of fighting…but every time I see him I cant help but fall in love all over again…is that insane or what?”

Frowning, Ella shook her head, “how can you fall in love with him, Nic? He’s just so boring, I mean “ you said yourself that love wasn’t always fireworks!”

Nicola looked astounded, “No, I didn’t!”

“Yes you did. If I remember correctly you were a tad bit drunk and drunken people never lie. You’ve fooled yourself into believing that you have a fairy tale, Nicola…do you want to spend the rest of you’re life with a frog…all the while just hoping that one of the times when you kiss him, he’ll turn into the prince you always dreamed of” Ella stated her question with understanding eyes and an arm around Nicola’s shoulders to emphasize her point.

Nicola stood silent, letting her blonde hair fall into her eyes as her head drooped down low, and “I think I just enjoy riding on an emotional roller coaster. I love Clay and I have every intention to spend the rest of my life with him”

Nodding, Ella accepted the answer - for now.

“Well, I’m here to get you…so let’s go” Nicola said with a sigh. When she caught Ella’s frown, Nicola put her hands up and said with force, “You are NOT backing out on me, Ella Tennyson”

“Nicola, I don’t understand why you’re dragging me with you to this stupid thing” Ella complained with a stiff air, “I mean, I have much better things to do than go with you to some stuffy meeting!”

“Ella, eternal optimist “ stop complaining. Clay…” she paused and curled up her nose,” couldn’t make it and this could be a major turning point in my career. My agent called me and said that I may find good opportunities here, it’s something different than ballet but it still involves dancing. They didn’t say exactly what it was, but that I should go to the rehearsals and be surprised”

Ella rolled her eyes, “I could be looking at beautiful vintage things right now!” she let out a groan as they exited the shop, leaving Goldie to tend to the store alone, “Bye Goldie!” Ella swept her hands towards the sidewalk shops that held many treasures, “You’re stealing me from my passion” Drama seeped out of her and Ella looked at Nicola who had a determined look on her face, “Fine! I’ll be happy”

“Thank you”

Ella forced herself to smile and then stated, “Do you know that if you simply smile “ it will bring out the emotion of happiness…just with a smile”

“Really?” Nicola asked, her features turning into a broad smile. She waited but couldn’t feel her mood change and she finally let a solemn expression come over her, “it didn’t work”

“It didn’t?” Ella’s smile was still glued to her face and she blinked in question, “I bet you held it back. You’re not very freedom loving, you probably forced the happiness away with the doubt in you’re mind” Ella watched as Nicola tried to think of a comeback before simply turning her head and walking on ahead. She let out a loud laugh and grabbed Nicola’s hand before she fell behind, “I love you, darling”

“Yeah” Nicola playfully let a ‘humph’ escape her lips and tightened her grip on Ella’s hand as she continued walking, “if you’re not excited I’m glad to say that I am”

Ella paused, “I’m ecstatic for you, Nic”

Ella and Nicola continued to walk along side each other in silence. A taxi had dropped them off a few blocks away from the building and it shouldn’t be any time before they arrived. Ella thought long and hard about Nicola’s passion for dancing and sometimes she felt so low compared to her. Nicola had her life planned out, with every thing crossed and dotted. And yet Ella didn’t have any idea what the next two or three hours could bring. Some people called it spontaneity at its absolute best; others called her scared or crazy. She had heard every thing.

Its not that she didn’t want to be every thing that she could be, but sometimes it was harder for some people than most to clench their dreams and run for them…Ella had every dream and every aspiration she could imagine, but every door she tried to open ended up being locked. She had wished on so many stars as a child but when her life began going in different directions, she didn’t put up a fight to stop it.

She had dropped out of college nearly a year ago and until now she hadn’t regretted it in the least, but it was time for her to pick something and stick to it. When you’re twenty-one years old, procrastination isn’t just a characteristic, it’s a barrier, and somehow she had to break out of it.

“Ella? We’re here,” Nicola said, interrupting Ella’s thoughts with her nervous voice.

“We are?” Ella jumped quickly out of her melancholy thoughts and hid the fact that she had been so lost in her own world that she had no idea where “here” even was. She quickly scanned the business building in front of her and she widened her eyes, “Jive Records…you’re going to be a singer?” Nicola gave Ella a look and Ella immediately broke out into giggles, “didn’t think so…you know, I must say Nic, you just aren’t blessed with that talent…but I do commend you for trying”

“Shut up” Nicola tried to sweep the smile from her face, “I don’t know what I’m here for. They just said to come check it out…might be good opportunities. If it’s a bust then we can leave and I’m sure they’ll be delighted to hear you’re laughter from the parking lot “ now come on!”

Ella gathered her senses and swallowed yet another giggle, “Sorry. I still don’t want to be here, you know. I feel out of place”

“Why?”

Ella looked Nicola up and down and then gestured towards her own ensemble.

Nicola took a quick look at her own suit and then another glance at Ella’s outfit. She had paired black leggings underneath a miniskirt and a rugged shoulder sweater showed off her paled skin. When Nicola couldn’t hide the expression on her face, Ella stomped her stiletto covered foot into the ground and whined, “Nic!”

“Sorry, Ella, Ms. Confidence of the century “ walk the catwalk strut and forget about what you’re wearing! Even Coco Chanel had her bad days” Silence rested in the air above them and Ella raised her eyebrow as Nicola slowly began to shake her head, “no…no she didn’t…”

Ella gave an impish grin and shrugged, “Oh well…”

They made their way through a fancy foyer, and Ella admired her surroundings, “for this to be such a business building...they have great décor”

Nicola nodded and headed straight for the desk. Ella heard her explaining who she was and grinned at her take-charge mannerism. Within what seemed like seconds they were walking down a private corridor and Nicola was checking every door to make sure she didn’t miss the room they were directed to, “12 A” Nicola muttered, looking at the door and then at Ella who stood humming along to herself while she inspected a picture, “this is it”

Breaking her attention away from the brilliant piece of art, Ella looked at Nicola and gave her thumbs up, “go for it”

Nicola took a deep breath and gave a firm knock on the door. They both waited until it was opened. Ella blinked in appreciation as a beautiful man confronted them, “Hello, ladies. My name’s Gavin Larson. I was the culprit who called you’re agent Ms. Bridges” Gavin gestured for them to come in, pausing only for a moment to look at Ella, “I didn’t catch you’re name”

“That’s because I didn’t throw it” Ella stated with a challenging tone.

Gavin laughed and nodded, “I wasn’t aware that I would be playing baseball today. Next time remind me to bring my mit”

Ella grinned and extended her hand, “Ella Tennyson”

“Ah. Nice to meet you” he winked and then turned to Nicola, “okay, so I know you’re probably wondering why you’re here”

Nicola nodded and kept her attitude completely professional and mature, “Yes, sir-“

“Gavin” he interrupted

“Yes, Gavin, I am” Nicola corrected.

Ella went off into her own world and watched as Nicola and Gavin playfully interacted. He was a handsome man, in his late twenties with dark hair, slicked back onto his head with the simple run of his fingers. He was tall and muscular and his eyes screamed attraction when he looked at Nicola. Ella wondered often why her dearest friend hadn’t been blessed with someone…better.

Taking in her surroundings, Ella grinned when she saw a painting of two people caught up in dance. It was a man and a woman who were holding each other with care while slowly swaying back in forth in their kitchen.

It brought her back to one of her fondest memories. Her mother and father would always dance. They would dance in the front yard, they would dance in the living room, in the bedroom, in the kitchen…every where. And she would always watch “ always. She would hide in the corners and crevices of whatever room it was that they were in and she would pretend they couldn’t see her. That was her favorite part. But even when they were so caught up in their own private sessions, they knew she was there. And ever since she was a little girl, Ella promised herself that one day, when she fell in love and the world disappeared, that she and her love would dance. No matter how hard life could possible get. They would dance.

Nicola came alongside Ella and tapped her on the shoulder, “Ella…did you hear that?”

Breaking out of her daydream, Ella looked at Nicola and noticed a spark of interest in her eyes. Not a major excitement was embedded within them but there was something. Ella tried to hold back a blush but it crept onto her cheeks anyway, “Sorry “ I was daydreaming”

“Clearly” Nicola said, “they want me to choreograph some dances for artists on this label” Nicola had hushed her voice to a low as she continued; “do you think that’s cheesy?”

Ella shook her head, “I don’t think so…question is…is it something you think you’d enjoy? I mean, it’s just a crossover from ballet to contemporary dance”

“I think it sounds like fun. I could lower my hours and still do something I enjoy without having to breathe it, you know?”

The volume of their voices escalated and Gavin stood back watching them. Nicola stood with her back straight and her presence well known while Ella slouched and chewed on her lip with force.

“I say go for it then” Ella stated with a bright smile, “do it”

“Do it?” Nicola asked again.

“Yes, do it!”

“I’m going to do it!”

Ella jumped up and down and grabbed Nicola in a hug, “Nic “ jump! I can tell you’re happy”

When Nicola ceased to jump, Ella shrugged and sighed heavily, “you just took off like…five minutes of you’re life by not jumping”

“That’s not true” Gavin stated from the corner of the room.

Nicola gasped and her eyed widened, “you just challenged Ella Tennyson”

Ella had concreted herself into the position she had been in for the past few moments and she went to speak before shaking her head, “I cannot believe it…”

Gavin laughed, “The horror”

Nicola glanced around before closing her eyes and then popping them back open, “Okay “ I agree”

“Well then” Gavin began, his rich eyes taking in Nicola’s presence, “You have some signing to do”

----------------------------------------------------

“Gavin, what’s up man?” Justin gave a manly pat on the back to Gavin as he entered the studio in which the man stood looking over a pile of papers.

“Hey!” Gavin said with an enthusiastic look towards the documents, “I just signed on another choreographer”

For the first time Justin noticed Maddie shrinking behind me. He had completely forgotten of her uneasiness. He battled himself for not being more compassionate towards her. It was her first time visiting him in New York and he hadn’t paid her the time of day, “awesome man, before I get details let me introduce you to my, uh…my girlfriend, Maddie” he had no idea why he had hesitated. Yet another thing he would surely get ridiculed about later on in the day. She offered the man a polite smile and Justin fought the urge to point out her red cheeks. He wasn’t used to dating such quiet, reserved girls. He needed to remind himself to break her out of a little bit of her shyness.

“Nice to meet you, Maddie”

Justin grinned, “So what’s up? I wasn’t aware that you all were looking for a new choreographer? Stumble upon a treasure?”

Gavin nodded and said, “I think so…her name’s Nicola Bridges, she’s a huge-“

“Ballet star” Justin stated, “I met her a few weeks ago”

“Really…?” Gavin looked surprised, “I didn’t know you liked the ballet”

“My mom’s a huge fan…that closing show they did, well, I took mom to it and got her some backstage passes…she loved it. Nicola seemed like a nice girl” to be completely honest, Justin didn’t quite remember Nicola as much as he did her friend. The girl had riddled him out of his mind and he had occasionally went back to think about his encounter with her. She was strange to say the absolute least. And a certain inkling inside of him made him question the thought of seeing her again. He knew it was a probability and he mentally began to prepare himself for another meeting with her. If there was next time, he wanted to be on his toes.

“Anyway, Justin…I wanted you here to sort out a few things for you’re tour…I know its awhile from now, but you can never start planning to soon”

Justin let go of his thoughts and listened to Gavin intently, all the while feeling a comforting palm resting against his own. It was going to be a long day, but he didn’t mind.

----------------------------------------------------

Two Months Later

Beads of perspiration dripped off a creased forehead and a determined look was set out on about twelve people. The series of twirls and pounding feet echoed through a room that had mirrors for regular walls. Music blasted through surround sound speakers and Nicola Bridges could feel her heart thumping with the sound of the bass. After another five minutes of grueling dance sequences, Nicola raised her voice above the music, “Break!”

At that moment, Ella decided to step in and she lit up the room with her smile before walking over to Nicola. She gave the woman a kiss on the cheek and then handed her a green colored shake, “here you go…its wheat grass”

“Thank you so much…and that would be?” Nicola pointed and Ella glanced down at the McDonald’s cup in her hand.

“Triple thick chocolate milkshake”

Shaking her head, Nicola laughed, “You’re tempting my dancers”

Taking her milkshake and waving it in front of the eyes of sweaty dancers, Ella stuck her tongue out and cackled, “While yall are burning calories I am consuming them and you are all jealous!”

The dancers looked at her strangely before turning back to their respective activities. Ella ignored them and flipped her bangs before turning around, “so…who is this for?”

“This is actually for a small play a university is putting on. It’s pretty much a promotional thing. I’m done in about ten minutes and then they’re bringing in a music artist - name not given - for me to try and work something out with…hugely busy day, Gavin wants to work on some P.R and I have to meet Clay at seven for dinner…and then-”

Ella brought a hand to Nicola’s mouth, “stop thinking about and don’t stress. I’m going to the bathroom, I’ll be back to watch you’re magnificence in a moment”

Making her way out of the loud room, Ella walked down a memorized hallway and began studying the same walls she had always studied every time she came. They were aligned with an array of pictures. Everyone from Britney Spears to fellow ballerinas that had once danced with Nicola were posted on the wall and Ella studied them with great care, questioning each one of their aspirations. It had been two months and she was still in the same exact vintage shop, doing the same exact routine that she always had.

“Ella, right?” a smooth voice interrupted Ella’s negative thoughts and she was immediately taken away from her concentration on the pictures.

Turning her head to face the stranger, Ella’s eyes widened in recognition, “Hey, friend!”

He laughed and brought the baseball cap further down over his eyes, “is that what terms we separated as…friends? I wasn’t aware that we became so close”

“Maybe I should have said acquaintance”

“You probably should have” Justin Timberlake extended his hand, “Nice meeting with you again. You know, I actually wondered when they told me that Nicola was going to be choreographing a few of my songs, if I would run into you again”

“Really…?”

“Yes. And that was an honest answer” he smiled and his eyes twinkled with a playful air, “I remember that like it was yesterday” Justin pointed to a picture of him and four other men, “we were all so nervous”

Ella stared at him and saw an ocean of emotions on his face, “you were so young”

He nodded, “yeah…I was…but you know, I wouldn’t trade it for anything”

“You must have been a big dreamer as a kid” Ella stated with a smile, “I use to dream of silly things, like being a princess or sometimes the knight in shining armor…and now, twenty-one years later I’m still dreaming”

Justin didn’t quite understand her reasoning, but pretended that he did and nodded, “I better get in there”

Ella cleared her throat, “yeah! I was going to the restroom before you came and interrupted me”

Justin scoffed, “please! At least this time you didn’t take my cell phone from me”

“You were being rude. But I must say you’re etiquette has somewhat improved” Ella shot at him with a grin. He gave her look and then laughed. With a wave he went through the door to Nicola’s studio room and disappeared from sight. She watched his retreating profile and shook her head. He was a charming guy when he wanted to be - but only when he wanted to be.

After doing her business in the restroom, Ella faced the mirror and clenched the messy strands of her hair in her hands and studied her features. The bump in her nose was sprinkled with brown freckles and she sighed while rubbing them with her index finger. She had always loved her freckles, never understanding why other people who had what seemed to be millions of them didn’t appreciate the marks. They were beautiful. “Why are you so melancholy, Tennyson?” Ella asked herself, “optimist! Come back to the world” breaking out into a smile, Ella felt the butterflies of happiness begin to flutter in her stomach and she let her laugh echo through the empty restroom, “it does work!”

Drying her hands, Ella walked back through the hall and into Nicola’s room. She found Nicola, Gavin and Justin sitting comfortably at a card table that had been set up since she had been gone. They had left a chair beside Justin and Ella sat down with a clumsy gracefulness. They had stopped their conversation to greet her and Ella answered their polite questions before telling them they could go on with their meeting.

She tried to look interested in their conversation, but her thoughts drifted far away from dancing and music as she thought about the latest piece of furniture she wanted to put out into the world. In the past months, she had focused mainly on her furniture design. Goldie and Nicola had been there faithfully encouraging her as she set out to as many companies as possible. Turn down after turn down, Ella was beginning to doubt in her talent. She thought that every piece of furniture she designed was the most beautiful thing she had ever put her eyes on, however, when the looks of skepticism she got from all the people who had taken interest in her, she started second guessing herself. She had finally decided that what she needed was a good old hug from mom and dad.

Her parents had supported her in the move to New York and she was grateful to have such a trusting family. No brothers or sisters were there to care for her mom and dad, but there was so much inside of her and all of her thoughts and ideas couldn’t fit into the life she had always lived in Louisiana, so she decided to move from the small town she grew up in and ‘expand her horizons’. So far there had been nothing but positive aspects of the city. Still, there was something missing, and Ella was bound and determined to find it.

Justin watched Ella from where he sat and his curiosity about her thickened. From the top of her head to the bottom of her feet she was unique and contradicting. The soft look he had seen on her face in the hallway had surprised him. The only other times he had seen her; she was so charismatic and free. As he surveyed her curling the ends of her hair with a pencil, squinting her eyes in rhythm to the tapping of her knees, he knew that even though she was a more laid back version of the girl he had formerly met, she wasn’t lacking any of that charisma.

It was his second month in New York and he had quickly grown accustomed to the hustle and bustle of city life. Every thing was much more spontaneous and he had taken a quick liking to it all. His eyes caught Ella’s and she was mouthing something to him, her cherry stained lips caught his attention more than her words, so she had to repeat herself so that he could try and read her lips again. Gavin and Nicola were too deep in conversation to notice that he and Ella weren’t paying attention, so Justin continued trying to communicate with her. On his third try at understanding her, she leaned in beside him and rolled her eyes, “You suck at this” she laughed.

“I know…I never was good at reading lips” he said with a slight embarrassment, “one of my weaker points”

“I can see that…I said…are you watching me?” Ella asked in a whisper, “because I can feel when eyes are on me…and you were definitely glancing- no, staring- in my direction”

Justin was shocked at her brazen words and he finally decided to give her a dose of her own medicine, “I was trying to decide whether that was a piece of pepper or broccoli in you’re teeth”

Ella had to cover her mouth to keep from laughing out loud, “probably pepper…I hate broccoli…I had the stereotypical parents who try to feed their kid every vegetable know to man…after having broccoli in you’re lunch box for ten years…it gets way old”

Justin chuckled, “you’re crazy”

Shaking her head, Ella concluded, “No…I’m just me”

Justin blinked and continued looking at Ella before a voice broke him of his fixation on her “So what do you think, Justin?”

He paused and swallowed, not missing the fact that Ella had cut off communication from him “ acting as if HE were the one who had been spacing out this entire time. Had he? Oh well…like that mattered. He nodded his head enthusiastically, “I think it sounds great”

Nicola and Gavin both turned their heads to him and gave him ghastly looks. Gavin was the first to speak, “you want Tanya to choreograph instead of Nic, I mean, Nicola?”

Justin nearly choked on his spit, “I was kidding, God, guys…cant you take a joke?” Tanya, even though he hated to say it, was a horrible constructor and he had no idea why JIVE had kept her on their employed list for this long. Probably had a certain something to do with her brother having an executive position in the company.

Ella laughed quietly to herself. Justin had put hit attention back on Gavin and Nicola and she was slightly appreciative of that, his stare had irked her. He was one of those people that were going to try and figure out her reasoning. There were always those kinds of people and even though they were nice and sometimes charming, she could never get past the fact that they were studying every thing she said and did. His eyes were too expressive, and the whole time they were on her, she felt like he was stripping away every layer of personality…or at least trying.

The group of four jumped when a shrill ring of a cell phone echoed through the empty room, Ella was the most surprised, her mouth letting a small yelp escape from her throat, “sorry” she whispered, digging through her purse with no rhyme or reason.

Justin peered over and didn’t miss the complete disarray of her purse, “what all do you keep in there?” an assortment of crumpled up papers and candy bar wrappers were in the way of all her necessary items and he shook his head as she continued to search.

“I keep in there whatever fits” she said. When her cell phone stopped ringing and she still hadn’t found it, Ella shrugged, “if it’s important they’ll call back.

In a maximum of four seconds, the familiar ringing came back into the room and Ella was more surprised this time than the last. Without thinking, she dumped the contests of her bag onto the floor and smiled evilly when the phone landed with a thud, “found it! I’ll clean this up in a minute” she said, circling her finger over the mess.

Her lanky figure began retreating out of the room and Justin smiled in recognition when he heard that tone of voice that comes when that one special person is on the phone. That one special person who within seconds can make you smile, or laugh…who can make you as mad as fire or as happy as a seven year old on her birthday, “hello, mommy” Ella whispered into the phone, smiling to the room as she closed the door behind her.

Gavin stopped the conversation and looked down at the floor, directing his stare towards the mess Ella had made, “where did you find her?” he asked Nicola with a dumbfounded look on his face, “that is the strangest girl I believe I have ever met in my life.

Justin noticed the look of understanding on Nicola’s face as she answered, “Ella gets that a lot…and you know, sometimes I wonder to myself why I put up with her…but then I realize, I realize that Ella simply says what the rest of us want to “ and even though she could say it in a better mannerism, she says it…and you cant help but love her for it”

“I can see that” Gavin said, “but is the girl ever…normal?” he laughed to himself, “I mean, I think she’s great “ but is she always so eccentric?”

Nicola’s face broke out into a broad smile, “yes”. And that was all she said to further the subject and within seconds they were back on track with the direction of Justin’s tour.

----------------------------------------------------

“I miss you too, Mommy” Ella was spread out on the hallway floor, her eyes glistening with happiness, “yeah, we’re doing good”

“When will you come and visit me?” Mary, her mother asked.

Ella could picture her mother, sitting in a recliner, staring at one of her creations. Mary was a sculptor and Ella supposed that’s where she got her creativity from. She also inherited the brunette hair from her mom, and her green eyes, and her milky white skin…the list goes on. Nearly every attribute Mary had, Ella had it in a greater abundance.

As far as her father went, Ella was most serious when with him. He asked her questions, made her think. He was always there to push her in her academic life and her aspiring career. Always supported her and had faith in all of her talents. Dylan was a serious man. He could laugh with the best of them and have fun with the best of them, but he kept his head. That had to be the only way that he and Mary had made it in their marriage. They were a perfect balance. Ella couldn’t complain about her childhood. She actually didn’t think it was possible to have had a better childhood than she did.

“Well, mommy…I was actually trying to plan a trip home in the next month or so” Ella said, “I need a hug”

Ella could feel Mary smiling over the telephone, “I’m glad to hear it. I need a hug too”

“How’s daddy?”

“He’s doing good…he’s off trying to sell a house right now, oh Ella, it’s the most beautiful home. The decorators did a fantastic job. Every piece makes me think of you”

“Really…?” Ella asked, the topic sparking her interest, “you know I’ve been trying to sell some of my furniture…I think I’m going to try and take an architecture class and build it all myself” Ella said jokingly, “I’m tired of people not understanding my magic just because its on paper”

“I think that’s a great idea” Mary said, “You’re father would love to hear that”

“I know…I just think its time for me to do something with my life. That’s why I need a hug…some encouragement, you know? Maybe I can go see the house and find some inspiration”

Mary agreed with her, “Honey, there’s a ring at the door. Will you call me later, please?”

“Yes” Ella searched her clothing for a pen, she knew if it wasn’t wrote down she would forget, “love you mommy, tell dad I said hi and I love him and miss him”

They finished up their good byes and Ella hung up the phone. She leaned more comfortably against the wall and closed her eyes. She imagined herself as a top designer, walking around in her chic furniture store. People would continuously come in and ask to buy her items, but she would run and hug them tightly, not wanting to let them go. Maybe that was her problem. She wasn’t designing to the best of her ability because she wasn’t giving enough of herself. The opening of a door caught her attention and Ella looked up from her spot on the ground. It was just a janitor exiting the restroom, but she felt compelled to speak to him, “hello” she said with a smile.

The man looked at her; he was older, with a balding head and a wrinkled face. She could see the past in his eyes and the happiness in them lingered in her thoughts, “hello there young lady” his voice was shaking and Ella watched with compassion as he struggled to get through is words, “can I help you with something?”

“Sir…” Ella began, not sure exactly what it was that she wanted to talk to or ask him about, “I just…I wanted to know how you were doing”

The man looked at her quizzically before answering, “well, miss…exactly one year ago my beautiful wife died and today I miss her no less than I did when I first found out”

Ella sighed and shook her head, “I’m sorry”

“Don’t be” he said, “when I think about her, all I feel is happiness because I know that she’s in a better place than I am. I picture her getting ready for me, she’s putting on her pink dress and curling her white hair…I’m just excited to see her”

Ella paused, “Sir, I’m happy to say that you have suddenly became an inspiration in my life”

He chuckled that old man laugh and Ella joined in with him before standing up, “Well I think that’s a good thing” he said.

“Oh believe me! It is” Ella smiled and gave a pat on the shoulder, “you have a nice day”

He waved to her and Ella watched him slowly make his way out of the hallway, a mop and water bucket in his hands.

“Do you often hit on men triple you’re age?”

Ella turned around and found Justin to be leaning against the doorway watching her, “have you been there the whole time?”

“Pretty much” he stated, “I must say that I enjoyed watching you interact. Are you always so friendly with strangers?”

Studying his athletic frame, Ella noted that he didn’t include much personality in his clothing before moving on to his face. The look he had was challenging, like he was expecting her to come up with some incredibly intelligent thing to say just so he could make a comeback. She had no idea that she had left such an impression on him. “Yes…I am” she finally said.

“It’s a nice attribute to have, however I think you were lacking in when we met the first time”

“Have you still not let go of that?” she said with a laugh, drawing closer to him, pulling off his baseball hat and putting her hand over his forehead, “Bless this man, for I’m afraid that I’ve wounded him for forever. Amen” she opened the eyes that she had closed and looked at him, “do you feel better?”

Biting his lip, he slowly began to nod, “You know…I think I do”

She laughed when his face broke out into a smile, “well you should “ it’s not often that I give out my healing powers to mere acquaintances” she exaggerated the word.

“Well you should feel blessed because it’s not often that I let mere acquaintances take off my hat simply to touch my forehead”

She gasped, “you think I took off the hat just to touch you’re forehead? You’re in more need of prayer than I thought. I would keep the hat, but from the looks of you’re hair, I think you might need it”

He nodded, “now you know why I wear them. Not for fashion, but for simple…coverage”

“Ooo, now that sounded like a commercial line. Maybe you should be a spokesperson for…” she paused to read the logo on his hat, “Von Dutch”

“They offered, you know…but…someone ranked so high in the world of fashion simply couldn’t be seen promoting something that can only be worn when no one sees you” he flipped the hat back on his head and attempted to cover the logo, “Plus, they couldn’t afford me”

Ella stepped back and threw up her hands, “No wait! I have a better idea! Why don’t you volunteer yourself to be the spokesperson for ‘Full of Shit’” His mouth gaped open and Ella immediately burst into a series of giggles, “Ooo, top that!”

“Well…” he thought out loud for a moment before turning to her, “well maybe you should be the spokesperson for ‘I don’t know how to match my clothes “ someone help me please?”

Ella looked down at her outfit and paused before looking up, “no…no…you’re going to have to try better than that”

Their bickering went on for a few moments before Gavin and Nicola stepped out of the studio looking quite comfortable with each other.

“Thanks for the meeting, Justin” Nicola said with a grin, “I think the tours going to be amazing”

Justin gave Nicola a polite hug, “no thank you “ you’re ideas are brilliant. I’m looking forward to mastering some new techniques”

“I think you better work on mastering you’re old ones first” Ella wedged in from behind. When the look of horror shown on Justin’s face she laughed and turned around to leave, “Nic “ I’ll be waiting for you outside “ it’s a tad bit hot in here, nice seeing you, Justin. Bye Gav!”

“How many times must I tell her not to call me Gav” Gavin said with frustration, “is she deaf?”

Nicola laughed, “Gavin, the more you tell her not to, the more she will”

He nodded and sighed, “I don’t think anything will work now. Ten years in this business and I’ve gotten rid of that horrible nickname and now, here I am again, with someone who will call me Gav no matter how much I protest”

Nicola nodded her head, “I tried to give you hope…but I think you’re stuck”

Justin stayed to socialize a few minutes longer before telling Nicola and Gavin goodbye. He left them where they had been standing, completely engrossed in conversation. He wondered if they even heard him say his farewells. Taking the cell phone out of his pocket, Justin dialed a memorized number and listened to the ring of another phone before leaving a message, “Hey Maddie “ its Justin, I was calling to see how you were doing. I just got out of my meeting so you can call me whenever...um, bye…”

He hated leaving messages because he never knew whether to say, “I love you” or “love ya” or some other term of endearment. Maddie had told him those words long ago, giving him the option of telling her whenever he was ready and as many times as he had tried to force them from his mouth, they wouldn’t come.

Justin noticed a familiar figure sitting on the steps of the building. Ella sat there, her legs spread out down the row of steps as she stared at the cars passing by. He contemplated going to sit beside her, but with the look of complete contentment on her face, he simply passed by and looked down at her with a smile, “bye Ella”

She broke free of her thoughts and returned the friendly gesture, “Bye Justin, see you around?” it was more of a statement than a question, but he didn’t notice.

“Yeah, you probably will “ my slave driver is you’re best friend” he laughed and tipped his hat to her, “see ya”

“Bye” she said it softly and he almost didn’t hear it as he paced himself down the stairs. He felt her eyes on him and shook his head. The irony of life got him every time, this weird girl he met months ago at a ballet, was now back in his life and quite a bit more intriguing than she had been when he first met her.

Very ironic, indeed.



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki