Hold On To the Nights by goneplatinum


Number of reviews: 0
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


People take mortality for granted, I think. I've had ample time to think about this and a lot of other things while staring at the blank white walls. I kept a notebook close at hand so that when a profound thought came into play, I could easily jot it down. It would be something to look back on one day, kind of like a memory book.

While listening to the local alternative station through my earphones, I didn't even notice as someone slipped into the darkened room.

"Hannah?" the low voice asked. Thinking my mind was playing one of it's many tricks on me, I shook my head and closed my eyes as the music filled my ears. "Hannah, are you ok?"

"Yeah I'm fine." I replied in short, waving whoever it was away. Then the person grabbed my hand and began to rub my palm in a rhythmic motion, "Oh I don't care who you are, what you did...Lance?!" I asked in
astonishment. Sure enough, after flipping the bedside lamp on, Lance grinned and held his arms out at length.

"Surprise!" he whispered, sitting down on the bottom half of the bed. I had to rub the sleepies out of my eyes and focus again... was this real or just a really good dream?

"What are you doing here?!"

"Uh I believe you asked me the last time I showed up." he laughed, cocking his head to one side. He threw me a weird look but I was still stuck in a reverie.

"But...yeah, okay I thought you all were on some sort of tour?" If he took off more time because of me, I was going to let him have it. His gaze fell to the floor, and I could see the edges of his mouth curl upwards
into a sheepish grin, "Lance?"

"Yeah, we are on tour... but it's one of our rare weekends off, so I told everyone 'Hey guess what I'm leaving bye!' Hopped on a flight, and here I am."

"Mr. Spontaneity, ladies and gentlemen. Well I certainly welcome the company, all my friends are too wrapped up in the new semester to worry about lil ole me." I took ahold of the sheet corner and began to tie it in tiny knots, "But I do have a bit of good news."

"By all means..."

"The doctor thinks I'm well enough to go home." I replied with little expression. It was a good thing and a bad thing. Lance's face brightened; I could tell he was pleased.

"Okay, and you're not excited about this I take it?"

He could read my mind...

"I don't mean home as in the dorms...mom and dad want me to recuperate back in Clinton."

"What? B-but why?" he questioned, his green eyes filled with confusion.

"I don't know, because they think my friends will have more influence on me to go out and party when I should be in bed sleeping. That's what mom says anyhow... personally I think it's all a ploy to get me to go to school back home."

"But don't you think if that was their intention, they would just come out and say it?"

"See you don't know my parents, "I laughed, "They're very subtle. I've learned to read between the lines over the years. Not much can get past me."

"Obviously. Well, I guess that nails my idea to the wall." he turned and watched as a herd of medical students passed by the open door. I lowered one eyebrow. What idea?

"Oh yeah? Hit me." Baby one more time. Sorry, had to say it.

"Uh...well, I was gonna ask you to come out on tour with us." he said hurriedly, slurring the last few words.

"HA! And what would I be, your personal pillow fluffer?" Actually, that didn't sound half bad, but as usual my mind had turned into the thought of being more than just the fluffing. I'm a hornball, guilty as charged.

"No...I thought maybe... never mind." he looked crushed, and my good mood shattered into a million pieces.

"Oh Lance, I'm sorry. Cynicism runs in my family too." I apologized sheepishly as the red rose into my cheeks.

"I just thought maybe it would be an excuse so you DIDN'T have to go back to Clinton. But it's a dumb idea... forget I said anything."

I was about to protest further when a knock came to the door, and Cody bounced in. She had a empty backpack at her side and a wide grin on her nicely tanned face.

"Hey babe! Ready to be sprung?"

"I'll leave you two alone." Lance rose to his feet, but not before he gently kissed my cheek and smiled, "Call me when you get settled in, okay?"

"No." I said abruptly. I picked up the phone and punched in the string of numbers and held my hand up as it began to ring, "Hi Dad? No, everything's fine. But, um, could I talk to Mom? Thanks." When she came on the line, I calmly expressed my wishes to stay in Athens. There was a lot of yelling and anger thrown at me, but I had made my decision, "MOM! I am 21 years old and certainly capable of taking care of myself! Well I'm sorry you feel that way, but this time it's out of your hands. What? NO, do NOT come up here!" and then there was silence as the dial tone clicked over. She had hung up on me.

"What was that all about?" Cody asked, sitting down on the cold tile floor.

By this time my face was stained with tears, "She doesn't trust me, so she and dad are coming up here first thing tomorrow. GOD I am not a child!"

Lance abandoned his spot in front of the door and put his arms around me. I silently wept into his shoulder as he rubbed my back, "Shh, it'll be alright."

I felt so safe at that moment, more so than if there had been a dozen guard dogs in the room. Then, something in my brain clicked... I had an idea.

"Code, will you go back to the dorms and pack some clothes for me please? Oh, and bring my hairdryer and my makeup case out of the bathroom."

"What, why?" she questioned. I squeezed Lance's hand tight and took in a deep breath.

"Cause I'm taking Lance up on his offer and going on tour with the band."

"WHAT?!?!" she screeched, her jaw dropping to the floor, "If you think you are even stepping onto the same bus as Justin without me, I am seriously going to consider going medieval on your sorry butt."

"Oh well, we can't have that, now can we?" Lance laughed, crossing his arms across his chest.

"GET OUT! You are SO kidding me, right? You're not kidding? Oh please tell me you're kidding. Like ha h-ha ha ha?!"

"Nope, no kidding. You're more than welcome to join us."

I thought she was going to keel over right then and there, but instead she continued to squeal and dance around the room. It was hilarious...something you'd see on America's Funniest Videos.

"But wait, what about school?"

"Screw school, this is WAY more important." Cody interjected matter-of-factly. Yep, once you got an idea in her head, there was a slim to none chance of going back.

"Can't argue with that." he replied with a smirk.

"I wouldn't even begin to try."

"Okay ladies, let's get you packed up and ready to go."

How far out in the solar system is this?! Both me and Cody would be touring... TOURING with *NSYNC. Life can't get much better than this. Or so I thought.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki