Hold On To the Nights by goneplatinum


Number of reviews: 0
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


I watched as the yellow cab carrying my best friend pulled away from the curb. Cody was heading back to New York to spend the holidays with her family, and we had both promised up, down, left and right to write/call and/or e-mail each other whenever possible. Now with Christmas only two days away, I was getting antsy to get back home and sleep in my own bed. There was only one slight problem...

"Hello, Mom? Yeah it's me... no I'm fine, we're back in Orlando. Yeah I'm coming home with Lance on the 2:30 flight. What? Um, I think American. Y-you will? Oh... okay, I'll see you there! Love you too. Okay, bye bye." I set the phone down in the cradle and stared at the white plastic as the conversation began to sink in, "That was really weird."

"What's goin on?" Lance asked as he entered the rehearsal room.

"I just talked to Mom and it was like nothing happened, it was like old times. I would have thought she'd be furious with me still."

"Maybe she forgave and forgot. You are her daughter after all." he reminded me while rubbing the kinks out of my neck.

"Yeah, I know. It's just...maybe you're right." I sighed and flopped down on one of the couches face first. Lance took a seat and began to massage my back, "Oh my god you are so good." I groaned, closing my eyes as all the tension disappeared.

"So what are your plans for this weekend?"

"If I have it my way, I'm sleeping til New Year's Eve." I giggled, wiping a few stray hairs out of my face. Just then the door slammed open and Chris stepped in.

"Where are my rock-n-rollers and out of controllers?!" he shouted, striking a pose ala Arnold pre-Terminator, gritting his teeth for an added effect.

"I think they went that-a way." Lance teased, pointing out the window.

"Oh no, no, no... me thinks NOT, Lancey-poo. I wasn't born yesterday." But just to be safe, when he thought we weren't looking, he dashed over to the first-story window, gazed up and down quickly then shot Lance a dirty look before retreating out into the hall.

"Lancey-poo? Do I want to know?" I asked, sitting up on my elbows.

"I'm even scared to ask." Lance replied, cracking his knuckles, "So do you want to go to the football game Friday night maybe?"

Not at all what I had expected to come out of his mouth. There was always a football game between Clinton High and our rivals, the Jackson Bulldogs. It was a fun time… yeah, when I was still in high school. I wasn't really feeling the idea of seeing most of the people we graduated with, that's one of the main reasons why I chose to go away to school. But then I turned to see the saddest pair of green eyes, so I had no choice but to say yes.

"Well, we'd better get to the airport." he said, kissing my cheek as he got up to leave. I sighed and fell back on the comfy pillows, just staring at the ceiling.

My mind traveled back to one of the many bizarre conversations Cody and I had had within the last three months. One in particular went down just the day before. We were sitting near the front of the bus with our feet up against the tinted glass while our heads hung over the edge of the sofa. I happened to glance over her way and burst out laughing.

"What, what's so funny?"

"You bare a striking resemblance to an overcooked tomato with blond hair right now, dude." I laughed, wiping away the tears that were now soaking my forehead.

"Uh huh, and you think YOU look any better?"

"Well, no... but you never said anything." I grinned.

"I think all that blood is squishing your brain. Or what's left of it anyways."

"Hey now, I wouldn't even be talking, Miss Hornball America."

"ExCUSE me? Oh, I see... just because Justin and I got freaky deaky on top of the bus does NOT make me..." I cut her off with a gasp.

"Y'all did WHAT on top of the bus? And where was I? Okay, not that I would have WANTED to see that, but.... Okay, you're weird." I concluded, folding my arms over my chest.

"Everyone was at dinner, for your information. Justin thought it would be, uh, interesting."

"And was it?"

"You try to keep your bearings on a slippery roof butt naked." she replied matter-of-factly.

I couldn't help it, I busted out laughing once again. The mere thought of anyone, much less Code and Justy, getting their freak on on top of any moving vehicle... um, no, I don't think so.

"I mean I was thinking about velcro, but that stuff chafes your skin SO badly."

"That was something I did NOT need to know." I told her, wrinkling my nose in disgust.

"Hey Hannah, come on... the car's ready!"

Lance's slow drawl made me snap back into the present. I grabbed my backpack from the floor and slung it over my shoulder then slipped into my worn birkies before joining the crowd out in the hall.

"Aww, it's a reunion." I said with a pseudo-sniffle, "Come on, group hug!"
----

Lance swung his gold 4-Runner into my driveway and let the motor idle as I gathered up my suitcases and other miscellaneous packages.

"Meet me at the football field tonight at dusk." were his last words before I let the door slam shut.

It was the night of the game, so I didn't think anything of it. I nodded then blew him a kiss as he drove out of sight...halfway down the block. Anycrap, I lugged everything up the front walk and got out the pale green and blue lanyard I had made out of sheer boredom weeks before, stuck the key in and wiggled it around before the door popped open.

"Anyone home?" I called into the darkened house. The only ounce of light came from underneath the door to the den, "Mom, Dad? Aubs? Where are you guys?!"

It was then when I saw the white piece of lined notebook paper tacked to the corkboard Mom usually used for her coupons.

Han--

We're all at the high school for the pre-party festivities. There's a hot dog with all the fixings in the microwave with your name on it. Come join us afterwards!

Can't wait to see you, honey.

Love,

Mom & Dad and the crew

I shrugged and left my luggage at the front entrance. The smell of cooked hot dog filled my senses as I flipped on the kitchen light and let the familiarity of the house come back in a rush. It was good to be home. There sat Dad's coffee mug from that morning, along with the afghan Mom had been so diligently knitting for the past God knows how many months.

After I had scarfed down dinner, I decided to bring at least one of my duffels upstairs and get dressed. The air was getting cooler, so I wanted to change out of the shorts and tank top I had worn for the day.

"Ahh, my bed!" I squealed and made a flying leap for the bed. Unfortunately I overshot my boundaries and ended up on the floor on the other side in a mess of blankets, "At least there's no one here to get a picture of that." I sighed, getting up.

Five minutes later I had changed into a pair of tan corduroy pants with a white collared shirt and navy blue sweater tied around my waist. I pulled my hair up into a messy ponytail, splashed on some perfume, grabbed my keys and made my way through the house to the garage where my truck was sitting. Aubrey had gone up to Athens the week before and drove it back.

"If there are any CD's missing, she is going down." I mumbled, checking everything to make sure. Paranoia, it's the little things.

The high school was maybe ten minutes from my house, and by the time I got there the parking lot was already half full. After finding a parking spot, I began walking towards the main part of the school. I had a song stuck in my head, so I began to hum a few bars as I approached the front doors.

There was a note taped to the doors that read 'MOVED TO FOOTBALL FIELD'. Alrighty then, I wasn't about to argue. The sooner this night was over, the better.

"Geez, people sure do like their football." I mumbled as I heard a whoop from somewhere off in the distance.

The grass was already beginning to get dewy as the sun sank lower in the autumn sky. I began to question what exactly what was going on when I rounded the corner to face the stadium. It was dark. Were my parents severely on crack?

"Where is everyone?" I asked aloud, scratching my head as I did a 360°, thinking maybe I was at the wrong end of the school, "B-but there is only one football field. At least I thought so..."

"Hey Hannah!" It was Lance's voice, that's for sure. But I couldn't tell where it was coming from.

"Lance? Where are you?" I took a step in the direction of his voice.

"Sitting on the bleachers, waitin' on you." he chuckled.

"Okay. Do YOU know what the hell is goin' on here? Is this a trick?" I turned to the field, "Ha ha Aubs. Y'all can come out now, joke's over!" I shouted.

It was then when Lance took my hand in his and walked me out into the middle of the field.

"What are you doing?!" I asked, completely confused.

"Han, I lied. There is no football game tonight." Lance began, looking down at his shoes. I rolled my eyes and laughed.

"Well duh."

"I wanted to bring you out here because... because there's something I wanted to ask you." his tone was calm... weirdly calm. I remained silent as he continued, "I have had a mad crush on you since the ninth grade..."

His voice started to waiver, and I could feel myself getting choked up.

"And I cannot tell you how happy I am that I've finally got the chance to tell you that and become closer to you." My jaw dropped clear to the astroturf as Lance slowly went down to one knee. He looked up into my eyes, his fingers still tightly wound with mine, "Hannah Rose, would you please do me the honor of being my wife?"

That's when the waterworks turned on in full force. But, amidst all the tears and lumps in throat I managed to squeak out a "Yes."

"WOOHOO, ALRIGHT LANSTEN!"

The house lights turned on and I could see the stands filled with our family and friends. They were all cheering and whooping... so that's what I had heard before. Lance grinned like he never had before and then produced a jewelry box out of his pocket and slipped one of the most gorgeous rings in the history of the world on my finger.

"I love you." I whispered, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Love you too, baby."

"HANNIE!!" a female voice screeched.

"CODE!" I screeched back, disengaging myself from my now fiancé.

We embraced and hopped up and down in delight.

"What are you doing here? How did you get here? I thought you were going home?" I asked in rapid-fire sequence. Cody giggled and wiped the tears out of her eyes.

"Are you kidding? I wouldn't miss this for the world!"

"B-but how-when did you get here?"

"She made a slight detour on the way back to New Yawk." JC said with a grin as he, Justin, Chris and Joey made their way out onto the field.

"You guys are the best." I said as more tears fell. I gave each of them a peck on the cheek.

"So... Lance, I think these people deserve a show. Whatchu think?" Justin asked, rubbing his hands together.

"What, the whole ring thing wasn't enough? My goodness you are hard to please!" Lance replied with a scoff.

"Let's rock a show for the good folks of Clinton, Mississippa!" JC said, slapping Lance on the back.

I joined Cody on the bleachers with the rest of my family. I hugged Mom and Dad extra tight.

"I am so sorry about what I did, but I just needed to get away from it--"

"Honey, we understand your intentions. Dad and I have thought long and hard about it, and came to the conclusion that...it's your life, and as much as we want to, we can't control your actions forever. You may be our baby, but you are also a grown woman." Mom said, cupping my face in her hands.

"I love you guys, so much!"
----

So...yeah, I'm engaged! The night ended with an a-cappella version of "This I Promise You" and I could just feel my heart melting into a puddle as the guys' melodic voices filled the air, sending chills up the spines of almost everyone in attendance.

"...Every word I say is true, this I promise you. Oooh I promise you." Justin sang, the words filled with passion and meaning.

As the song ended, Lance came over to the sidelines and sat down next to me.

"So was this better than a football game?" he mused, twirling the microphone around with his fingers.

"Um yeah, MUCH better. But you know what?"

"What's that." his face was inches from mine. I smiled.

"I still scored." and with that, our lips met.
-----
The End
-----


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki