Hold On To the Nights by goneplatinum


Number of reviews: 0
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


I continued to rifle through the depths of my mind for faces, but so far it was still a blank slate. Once we were home, I changed into a hooded sweatshirt, grabbed my notebook and walkman, then headed out to the back porch swing. It was my official thinking spot... where I could have privacy away from the collective madness that was my family. Opening to the first page, the soulful jazz filling my senses, I sighed and began to let the ideas flow out onto the paper.

Between sentences, I would stop momentarily and stare up into the darkening sky that was littered with twinkling stars. Just then a flicker of light caught my eye. The kitchen next door was full of people laughing and talking. The sound filtered out the open window, and I couldn't help but overhear.

"Hey sweetie. Room for one more?"

I looked towards the back door, and there stood mom, swaddled in her worn flannel robe and slippers. I smiled and nodded. It had been a long time since we had talked. The phone did no justice when it came to mother-daughter conversations.

"What's up?" I brought my legs up against my chest, putting aside my random thoughts for the moment.

Mom sighed and turned towards the back yard. The tree house Will had helped me build was still standing...as was the swing set. Memories came back in a rush.

"I was just wondering about school... your life... general mom-needs-to-know stuff."

"School's fine, I start summer session two in two more weeks," I shrugged," Life's good, I guess. It's kinda weird to see some of my friends getting married and having kids. I wish I had that...."

"Hannah, you will be in their position. Perhaps now is not your time...there's nothing wrong with that. You know I didn't go on my first date until I was 22."

This came as a complete shock.

"Bu-but..."I was speechless. Mom put a finger up to my lips and let out a whole-hearted laugh. The kind that made your belly shake like a bowlful of jelly. (no Santa references/puns intended)

"Let me finish, Hannah Rose. I met your father at the local drive-in. There was just something about him and we just clicked. We went out a few times, and then on a whim, he proposed and I said yes."

I think my jaw was down clear to the floor by that point. Why she had waited until I was dreadfully and terminally single to tell me this, I had no idea.

"So what you're saying is...?"

"What I am saying is that you will find your Romeo, and at the place and time you least expect it."

A cool breeze began to come through the pine trees. I shivered and brought the sweatshirt down over my knees.

"I hope you're right. Okay, this is totally unrelated, but it's been nagging me for the past hour."

Mom scooted back on the swing and put one arm around my shoulder. I settled in against her, inhaling the mom scent. The perfume people really need to get on the ball and bottle this stuff... it'd sell like hotcakes. She brushed away the hair from my forehead as I began to tell her about Lance and the freaky weird coincidences.

"You think you know this boy? Hmmmm, the name DOES ring a bell somewhere."

I sat up, "Really?! Then I'm not losing my mind!" I jumped up and gave her a big bear hug, "Thank you momma! Oh I have to go and tell Neenie."

"Han, what did you say his last name was?" she asked before I could explode inside. Tapping my foot impatiently, I clenched my fists in anticipation.

"Bass... his last name is Bass. Okay, can I go now?"

"Keep your shorts on, missy." she held out hand, then became lost in thought for a moment... or two, "You know, I do believe there is a family down the street with that name."

I stopped in my tracks, my mouth half hanging open. My mind was reeling. I could see all the faces of the kids on the block. Then, just like in the movies, it paused on a tall boy with a bowl haircut and darker blond hair.

"Oh... my... god." I whispered. The same nose, the same eyes. It was him!


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki