Hold On To the Nights by goneplatinum


Number of reviews: 0
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


As the song changed to an uptempo and the dance floor filled with
semi-drunkened relatives, I had the urge to sit down and interrogate the man who had out of the blue asked me to dance.

"Do you mind if we sit this one out?" I asked, plugging my ear as someone next to me let out a loud whoop.

Lance nodded and gestured towards the back of the room. We found an empty table near the back door. It wasn't even made up with linens like the some fifty others. He pulled out my chair like a true gentlemen. I smiled and
waited as he got a chair from a nearby table. Sitting down, he let out a deep sigh and unbuttoned his jacket. A smirk crossed his face.

"I bet you're wondering what this is all about." he began. Well...duh,"I have to admit something to you...I have had this lingering crush on you since the first day of ninth grade."

His drawl was muddled, but downright sexy nonetheless. I was drawn to his eyes. They twinkled in anticipation.

"Wh-what did you just say?" I asked at almost a whisper. I backtracked my memory a few minutes.

"You know you're beautiful when you're confused."

This is a joke. He did not just come on to me... did he? It had been a while since any guy had taken a liking to me, so of course I was somewhat confused.

I threw my gaze down to the table's surface, suddenly making it look like the tiny flaw in the wood was more important than the conversation. But before I knew it, Lance had his hand underneath my chin, and we were again looking each other in the eye. My first instinct was to backhand him, but there was something about his touch that made me reconsider. It was warm and tender, like a worn flannel shirt.

"But you don't know anything about me." I really hoped he wasn't the mad stalker type.

"Well, I, uh..."he looked down at his hands, then back up at me, "You're right, I don't. The only things I know about you are what I've heard from other people or read in the school newspaper. Now that may or may not be the real you, I don't know..."he trailed off.

I sighed and pushed back my chair so I could cross my legs, "I'm not some homecoming queen who thinks she's the hottest thing since the curling iron, if that's what you're getting at."

My replies were spattered with sarcasm like grease off of a thick slab of bacon. Why was I being so rude and demeaning? As I thought more about it, I was becoming the girls that I had loved to hate in high school.

"Oh god... Lance, I'm sorry. That was totally uncalled for, and I hope you can accept my apology." I was being a bitch, and here he was trying to get out his inner feelings, "I'm such a dope."

"No, don't think that. It's my fault. But... I'd still get a chance to get to know the 'real' you."

He was sincere and honest and I liked that. We sat in silence for a few moments. Then, like a green light, the song changed to an old disco tune. I could see Janine and my other sisters out shaking their groove things with their respective partners and/or dates.

"Come on." I got up and held out my hand. He seemed reluctant, so I manually pulled him up from the table. His face radiated in a wide grin. He was cute... very cute.
------
When all of the guests had more or less trickled out of the club, the only people that remained were my family and Lance. Outside, the sun was barely visible on the horizon, and the sky was filled with streaks of pink and orange. Truly a site to behold. I took in a deep sigh as I stood before one of the plate glass french doors that led out to the wrap-around veranda.

"Heavy thoughts weighing on your mind?"

I spun around. Lance stood to my left with his hands firmly clasped across his chest, a sincere smile plastered on his face. He raised an eyebrow in question.

"What? Oh... yeah, well... kinda."

"Care to share? I've always been told that I'm a good listener."

"It's pathetic, really." I could feel the red rising into my cheeks.

He leaned up against the door, and it opened slightly, "Hmm, it's a sign don't you think?"

"Thank you." I smiled as he held the door open.

There was a cool breeze wafting around, and it made me realize I should have worn a light sweater or at least something over the dress. My bare shoulders shivered as the sky began to darken even more. The porch lights on the veranda came on minutes later.

"So, what's up." Lance asked as we walked along the path.

"Well... it's just... all of my brothers and sisters are married." I began.

"Yeah, my older sister is too. It's weird, huh?"

"Extremely weird. Anyway, I was just wondering what it would be like to come home to the same someone for the rest of your life. I mean I have cats, but I don't think it's the same kind of feeling."

He laughed and quickly ran a hand through his spiky blond hair, "I would hardly constitute a cat on the same level of being married."

"Just work with me here!" I giggled, "Damn I'm cold."

"Here." and before I knew it, he was taking off his tuxedo jacket. The deep musky smell of his cologne filled my sinuses, and it made me feel all cozy inside.

"You are really sweet, you know that?" I was in awe. Most, if not all, of the guys I had ever come into contact with were so high up on themselves. This was a nice change of pace.

"Yeah, I've been told that too." he grinned. Well, well...aren't we modest.

I playfully punched his arm.

"Hannah?" I loved how my name sounded in his low and sexy voice, "What are you doing tomorrow?"

"You mean besides sleeping in until noon? Nothing I don't think.. why?"

"Because the carnival starts, and I was wondering if maybe, you'd like to go with me?"

The annual Fourth of July carnival. I had forgotten all about it! Cotton candy, the tilt-o-whirl. Memories.

"Oh wow, I'd be honored."

Then as if to close the deal, he reached down for my hand and gently kissed the top of it. Shivers ran up and down my spine. This guy was good.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki