Paris by Joeylance


Number of reviews: 7
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Paris - Chapter Sixteen


Flashback – Approximately fall of 1998

On the ride back to the hotel, Annie remained very quiet. All the emotions that had been evoked in her by the funeral, combined with the most horrendous case of food poisoning the world had ever seen (so it seemed to her, at least) had finally caught up to her.

JC held her close, absentmindedly rubbing her arm with his hand while she rested her head on his shoulder. TJ, sensing with his usual uncanny accuracy that they needed a little alone time, sat up front with the driver.

When they reached the hotel, JC and Annie rode the elevator up in silence to their rooms.

Later that night…

Annie sat on the bed, looking at the box and letters she had taken out of her purse. She had taken a shower, made a cup of tea and basically done as much as she could without directly avoiding the articles at hand. But now she had run out of ideas, but still avoided opening them. To do so would mean that Claude was truly gone.

She sighed, brushing aside a rebellious strand of hair. Now she knew she was probably being slightly unreasonable, but she couldn’t help it. Maybe having someone with her would help.

"Hey, Josh!" Annie called; making sure he could hear her in case he had his stereo turned up again. "Could you please come in here for a minute?"

"Sure, just a second."

A moment later JC entered. He had changed into flannel pajama pants and an old t-shirt. Oddly enough, Annie was wearing almost exactly the same thing. They looked at each other for a minute without saying anything before they both burst out laughing.

When he had finished his good little chuckle at their expense, JC smiled at her. "What can I do for you, babe?"

Annie was now completely serious. "I’m going to open Claude’s box and letters, but I don’t want to be alone. Could you open them with me?"

He crossed the room and sat next to her on the bed. "Sure. Are you ready?"

Annie looked into his eyes. "Yes, but first…may I have a kiss for luck?"

"Funny you should ask," he whispered. He leaned over and kissed her tenderly, then straightened and waited patiently.

Annie’s hands trembled as she took three envelopes out of a larger one. Two were addressed to her and one to Josh. Of Annie’s two, the first said "Box contents’ description" while the other was labeled "Annie only!" Annie quickly slipped the latter one back into the big envelope before JC had a chance to see it. ‘I’ll just read that one later,’ she thought.

Annie handed Josh’s envelope to him. After putting on his glasses, he opened it and read quietly to himself. When he was done, he reread the important parts aloud for Annie.

Dear Joshua,
I now know in my heart the truth about Jacques. I am so very sorry for the pain that he caused both of you, but it is something I shall have to live with. I can only apologize that I didn’t pick up on it sooner and I hope you can forgive me for that.

Joshua, whatever you have to do…do it to get Annie back. You two are meant to be together, so don’t just let her push you away. Fight for her. She loves you so much…why else would she have spent days crying over you? Why would she still want to send the portrait she drew? Easy…because she loves you.

In so many ways, you two remind me of myself and my Marie. Circumstances beyond our control tore us asunder, and the obstacles you face are pebbles compared to ours. All you have to do is pick them up and toss them out of the way.

Josh; in the box I gave Annie you will find two wine glasses. These are the glasses Marie and I toasted each other with at our wedding. It is my deepest hope that one day you will raise these glasses to each other at your own special day. I probably won’t be there to see that joyous event, but please think of me. I shall be there in spirit.

I am getting tired, so I will close for now.

May God truly bless you and Annie. I love you both.

Claude


When he had finished reading, JC and Annie just sat and held each other for the longest time. No words would have been nearly sufficient enough to express their feelings, so they didn’t try. Finally, Annie wiped her eyes and broke the embrace. "Time to read mine?"

"Yes," JC whispered, drying his own eyes.

My dearest Annie,
I have said in Josh’s letter the things I wanted to say to you both about getting back together. I hope and pray that you two have made up when these letters are read. This letter is to explain to you the things in the box. Don’t worry – I have also left family heirlooms for Jacques. These can only rightly go to you.

I believe I have already explained the glasses in Josh’s letter. Next in the box, you should find two cups and saucers.
(Annie carefully unwrapped them. They were green with lilacs painted on them. She remembered Claude had said once that lilacs were Marie’s favorite flowers.) These are "make-up" cups. Whenever Marie and I had an argument, we would sit down over a cup of tea, using these cups. Sometimes we went through many cups of tea. Please use them for the same purpose. Believe me…they work.

Next, you will find a white linen handkerchief with the initial M embroidered on it. Marie carried this on our wedding day. I hope that you will carry it on yours.

The two books of poetry are ones we bought for each other. The one in French was my gift to Marie. I have marked some of her favorite poems. The other one is Italian love sonnets which Marie gave to me. Naturally, I have marked my favorites in it as well. The one on page 93 is what I read to her on our wedding night.

One last thing. Annie…look inside your locket. I am sure that you haven’t opened it since you asked me to fix the loose clasp on that fateful day. If you had, you would have commented on it.

Annie, I know that I have told you this before, but you are the granddaughter I never had, so I feel the need to say it again…I will always love you. I am so very proud of you and love you so much. When you came into my life, you renewed my heart and helped me to heal old wounds.

Love forever and God bless.

Grandpere Claude


Annie went over to the mirror and opened the locket. Inside was a picture of her and JC dancing at Pepe’s. It was almost identical to the one of Marie and Claude on the opposite side of the locket.

She turned and motioned him to her side. "Josh, come here. You have to see this."

JC came up behind her, placing his arms around her waist. Looking over her shoulder, he saw the picture of them in the locket. "It’s beautiful, Annie." He pulled back her hair, kissing her neck softly. "Now, I have something for you. Come back and sit down."

Once they were both sitting on the bed, JC cleared his throat and pulled a piece of paper from his tee-shirt pocket. "I want to read you a poem that I wrote for you the other night." Putting on his glasses, he fixed her with a serious gaze. "I worked really hard on it, so you have to promise not to laugh."

Annie put up one hand. "Scout’s honor."

JC took a deep breath and began.

I have been blind
Unwilling
To see the true love
You’re giving
I have ignored every blessing
I’m on my knees
Confessing…

That I feel myself surrender
Each time I see your face
I am staggered by your beauty
Your unassuming grace
And I feel my heart is turning
Falling into place
I can’t hide it
Now hear my confession

I have been wrong about you
I thought I was strong without you
For so long
Nothing could move me
For so long
Nothing could change me

Now I feel myself surrender
Each time I see your face
I am captured by your beauty
Your unassuming grace
And I feel my heart is turning
Falling into place
I can’t hide it
Now hear my confession

You are the air I breathe
You’re the ground beneath my feet
When did I stop believing?
‘Cause I feel myself surrender
Each time I see your face
I am staggered by your beauty
And I feel my heart is turning
Falling into place
I can’t hide it
Now hear my confession

I can’t hide
Now hear my confession


JC looked up to see tears streaming down Annie’s face. He gently wiped the tears from her eyes. Leaning close to rest his forehead against hers. "I mean every word of it – you are the love meant for me. My reason for getting up in the morning. The person I want to build my world around." He kissed her eyebrows. "You are my life."

Once Annie had finally stopped crying, they carefully wrapped up the items and returned them to the package. JC then snuck back to his room and returned with a small box, which he handed to Annie.

"What’s this?" she asked, looking at the gift with a more than slightly confused expression on her face.

"Open it and see." He smiled, motioning for her to go ahead and open the box.

Annie opened it, then covered her mouth with one hand. Inside were two sterling silver rings, one sized for her hand and the other for his. They were inscribed with the same Hebrew lettering that was on her locket. It read: "I am my Beloved’s and my Beloved is mine." It was taken from Solomon’s Song of Songs, Chapter Two, Verse 16, and it was inscribed on both of the posey rings.

Annoyingly bold-faced note from the author and editor:
A posey is a short poem inscribed on a ring. This tradition dates to the Middle Ages and was a very romantic gift. It further states that words which touched the skin have a particular power. The sterling rings were often given as betrothal rings and replaced with the same ring in gold on the wedding day.


"Annie," JC whispered, taking her ring out of the box. "Will you wear this ring as a sign of our commitment and love? It’s just a "Promise" ring right now."

"Of course," she answered as he slipped it on her left hand. Annie then reached in the box and took out his ring. "Josh? Will you do the same for me?" she asked, placing his ring on his finger.

"Yes." He kissed her softly. "I love you so much, Annie."

"I love you too, Josh."

Just then, there was an insistent, paternal knock on the door. "Hey, I realize that true love is endless," TJ’s voice came from the other side of the door, "but it’s two in the morning and I need my sleep."

"Sorry, TJ," they answered in embarrassed unison.

"Good night Annie. I’ll see you tomorrow." JC kissed her good-night, then returned to his room before TJ had to drag him off, shutting the door behind him.

Needless to say, Annie and JC slept with huge smiles on their faces that night.

*Usual disclaimer*
"My Confession" is sung by Josh Groban (notice a pattern here?) It appears on the "Closer" CD, 2003 Little Dume Music/Seven Parks Music



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki