Letters From Home by xkcfanx


Number of reviews: 2
Print: Printer

- Text Size +


It had been a long day out in the field for me today. The rough terrain out here is terrible, but there isn’t anything I can really do about it. I have been stationed here in Iraq for about four months now. It has been rough not being with my family, my friends, and the one I love the most my fiancée Gwen. I miss her so much. I would give anything in the world just to see her face again. The pictures of us just aren’t enough anymore. I couldn’t wait to get back to my bunk and just lay there and relax until I have to go back out there yet once again. As I walked through the door the Sargent confronted me.


“Son, you got a letter today…well more or less a box it’s sitting on your bunk,”


“Thank you sir,” I walked down the hall to my bunk and sure enough it was a box from my mom back out in Johnsonville where we live.


“Yo dude Whatchu got?” that is my buddy Justin we go way back from elementary school.


“A letter from my mom…and it looks like she sent some of her famous chocolate cookies along with the letter.”


“I love your mom’s cookies…come on hurry up dude. “ Yea he is a little pushy but he’s my buddy I don’t blame him for wanting these cookies they are the best of the best. I opened up the box and unfolded the letter from my mom.


Dear Son,

Well it’s almost June now…we all miss you very much. How are you holding up? I hope you are doing well. It’s been dry but they’re calling for rain, that at which we deeply need. Your father hasn’t said much since you have left…but you know he loves you very much…just give him time Josh he’ll get used to it…


“She still calls you Josh?” Justin chuckled,” I haven’t heard her call you that since elementary school dawg.”


“Justin yes she still calls me Josh you know that is my first name,”


“Oh well go on…read more.”


“That’s all basically hope you like the cookies blah blah blah “ I saw Sargent Williams come into the room.


“Pick up your guns guys…we got some more work to do!” I folded the letter and put it in my shirt I picked up my gun and got back to work. This is what keeps me going …reading the letters from home.
------------------------
The next day came rolling around fast…I didn’t get back until early this morning. The fight was long and hard, but we got the job done. But some unfortunate things went wrong. I lost another buddy of mine, Joey. The boy didn’t even see them coming. It’s sad to see someone you know gone especially right in front of your eyes…it’s a horrible sight.


“Mail call” Shouted Sargent Williams. We gathered around,” Chasez….McDonald…Charles…” as we all got up and got our letters I noticed mine was from Gwen I couldn’t wait to read hers. I looked forward to it every week. I saw in my bunk and opened the letter.


Dear Jc or Josh,

It’s almost dawn and I’ve been lying here all night wondering where you might be. I miss you so much honey I wish you could be here with me right now. I saw your mom and I showed her the ring and she’s very happy and excited. I am very glad she approves. I heard a lot about the war on the TV so I couldn’t sleep…but I am alright I am just missing you…


“Awe ain’t that cute she calls you honey” Justin laughed.


“I don’t see you getting any love letters from that special someone. You have no idea how it feels to be a half a thousand miles away from someone you love more than anything in the world,” I stated he just doesn't get it I guess. I greatly wish he would…it just irritates the hell outta me sometimes. The siren went off meaning it’s time to go back to do what we do best -fight. I folded it up the letter and put it in my shirt. I picked up my gun and got back to work…and it keeps me going on getting letters from home.
-----------------------------

The weeks have come and gone and its just the same day in and day out. It gets boring after awhile but in the end it all pays off.


“Mail call…for Chasez only…” only me this time? It’s probably from my mom…I havent gotten one from her in a while…or maybe its Gwen? I got the letter from Sargent Williams and I looked down at the handwriting and it wasn’t my moms, but it was my dad’s. But it seems odd that he would be writing me considering he never approved of me going into the Marines in the first place.


“Yo dude who is it from? Another ‘love’ letter from Gwen.” Justin joked.


“No! It’s from my dad…my dad wrote me a letter Justin,” he just gave me a ‘are you serious’ stare as usual. He couldn’t believe it I guess, but then again neither could I. I sat on my bunk like I usually did and opened up the letter.


Dear Son,

I know I haven’t written you. I am deeply sorry but as I sat here alone in the kitchen looking at your baby pictures and drawings you did of you and me it occurred to me. I may have not said this in the beginning, but I will say it now…son you make me proud…


And that’s all I could read…he’s proud of me? I wiped away my tears and looked at Justin who was still starring at me in amazement he wrote to me. I folded up the letter and put it in my shirt. I picked up my gun and got back to work…and it keeps me going on…in letters from home.
======================
I decided to post the lyrics to the song as well....it's called "Letters From Home" By John Michael Montgomery on the album tited "Letters From Home".


Letters From Home



My Dear Son, it is almost June,
I hope this letter catches up to you, and finds you well.
Its been dry but they’re calling for rain,
And everything's the same ol’ same in Johnsonville.
Your stubborn 'ol Daddy ain’t said too much,
But I’m sure you know he sends his love,
And she goes on,
In a letter from home.


I hold it up and show my buddies,
Like we ain’t scared and our boots ain’t muddy, and they all laugh,
Like there’s something funny bout’ the way I talk,
When I say: "Mama sends her best y’all."
I fold it up an' put it in my shirt,
Pick up my gun an' get back to work.
An' it keeps me driving me on,
Waiting on letters from home.


My Dearest Love, its almost dawn.
I’ve been lying here all night long wondering where you might be.
I saw your Mama and I showed her the ring.
Man on the television said something so I couldn’t sleep.
But I’ll be all right, I’m just missing you.
An' this is me kissing you:
XX’s and OO’s,
In a letter from home.


I hold it up and show my buddies,
Like we ain’t scared and our boots ain’t muddy, and they all laugh,
'Cause she calls me "Honey", but they take it hard,
'Cause I don’t read the good parts.
I fold it up an' put it in my shirt,
Pick up my gun an' get back to work.
An' it keeps me driving me on,
Waiting on letters from home.


Dear Son, I know I ain’t written,
But sittin' here tonight, alone in the kitchen, it occurs to me,
I might not have said, so I’ll say it now:
Son, you make me proud.


I hold it up and show my buddies,
Like we ain’t scared and our boots ain’t muddy, but no one laughs,
'Cause there ain’t nothing funny when a soldier cries.
An' I just wipe me eyes.
I fold it up an' put it in my shirt,
Pick up my gun an' get back to work.
An' it keeps me driving me on,
Waiting on letters from home.







© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki