Walking Tall by Mattison30


Number of reviews: 140
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Chapter 2: I Hate My Life

“Where’s Bethany?”

“She went home this morning.” Mackenzie replied without looking up from her book. “She’ll probably be back in about a month or so.”

“Oh. They probably left me a message and I just forgot to check it before I left.” Justin contemplated leaving it at that and not continuing conversing with her. but decided against it. “No visitors for you today?”

“I don’t get many.” She mummbled.

“Well…I could stay for a while. Since I was planning on seeing Bethany my schedule is clear for a few hours.”

She looked up from her book and shot him a bored, unamused look. “I don’t want your pity Timberlake.”

“It’s not pity!”

She scoffed. “Don’t think I don’t know why you come see Bethany.”

Justin squinted his eyes showing his cofusion. “What are you talking about?”

“You won’t get any publicity by spending your free time with me.” She said rolling her eyes at him.

“You really think that’s why I’m here; for some publicity stunt?” He asked incredulously. How could she thinkt that?

“Can you honestly tell me that your management team didn’t advice you to participate in the Make a Wish Foundation? Did you just wake up one morning and say ‘hey I think I’ll skip out on making another hundred grand today and go spend the day with someone less fortunate than myself’?”

She had him there. “So maybe my management told me about it but that doesn’t mean it was just a stunt.”

“Then why are there always camera crews outside our window? And why are you doing interviews promoting yourself and your so called good deeds?” She asked bitterly fingering quotes around ‘good deeds.’

“You’re acting like a real bitch you know that?” Justin nearly yelled, almost immediatly regretting his harsh words.

“Oh thank you so much for that. You just boosted my self-esteem and you know it was so high before.” She replied sarcastically. “I’m sure your fans would love to know what a great guy you really are.”

“You know what””

“Hello there Mackenzie.” A nurse interrupted. “It’s nice to see you up and awake.” She rolled her eyes at the overly perky nurse. “You ready to take get out of that bed?”

“I might be a little more enthusiastic if I could get up by myself…you know without the help of a wheelchair.”

“Oh pish-posh, you need to stop being so negative.” She smiled before turning her attention to Justin. “Are you a boyfriend?”

“No!” Both Justin and Mackenzie said at the same time.

“Oh. Just a friend?”

“No.” Mackenzie replied looking directly at Justin. “He’s just a spoiled pop star who thinks he can come in here and play Mr. Goody-goody and make me all better simply by letting me bask in his presence.”

Her sarcasm was really starting to wear on him and fast. Here he was taking time out of his busy life to spend some time with someone less fortunate that himself and she was treating him like a piece of crap. Why was he taking this? She isn’t even the one he was assigned to.

“Do you think you can get yourself out of bed?”

“No. My legs don’t work, remember? You know the whole car accident thing?”

“If I help you out do you promise to try extra hard on the parallel bars today?”

“Ummm….no.”

“So you aren’t even going to try?”

“I don’t feel like embarrassing myself today.”

“Fine, we’ll try again tomorrow.”

After the nurse left and Mackenzie had burried her nose back in her book Justin asked, “Why are you so difficult?”

“Why are you still here?”

“Don’t you want to walk again?”

“Can’t you take a hint?” She yelled tossing her book back to her side. He stood his ground and waited patiently for her to answer his question. “It’s too hard okay! I can’t do it.”

“How do you know if you don’t even try?” He asked. “You have a chance to””

“Don’t even try to tell me what I have and what I don’t!” She yelled. “You have no idea what its like to be me. You live in your perfect house with your perfect family and your perfect career….you have no idea what it’s like to lose everything! So don’t you lecture me about what I should and shouldn’t be doing.”

~*~(Mackenzie's POV)~*~

I hate being here. This woman, Dr. Jones, treats me like a freaking mental patient that is so fragile she thinks if she raises her annoyingly perky voice I’ll shatter into a million pieces.

Did I mention I hate my life?

I looked over at the “profound” doctor as she scribbled down something in that stupid notebook she always has on her lap. What is she writing about? I haven’t said more than seven or eight words to the woman since we started today’s session and she’s writing a whole damn book over there. She always does that. I hate that. She’s probably just doodling or something, just playing the role of Dr. like you do when you’re little. She just bobs her head up and down as she scribbles in her notebook and asks, every now and then ‘how does that make you feel?’ or ‘why do you think that is?’ She’s the one being paid and she’s trying to make me figure it out.

I did tell you I hate my life right?

“What kind of things do you dream about? Are they sad times, or happy times, or….” Her lips just keep on moving. How does she do it? How can she just go on and on about absolutely nothing? I can’t even focus long enough to hear her. She looks mad now. She must have asked me another question. I shrug my shoulders. “Giving one word or no answers really isn’t helping dear.”

I roll my eyes. There she goes again, off on another one of her lectures. You all know what I’m talking about. There the ones your parents give you when you get in trouble for not paying attention in class. The ones were they talk down to you like your f**king three years old. Ugh, don’t even get me started on my mother. She’s worse than Dr. Jones. She thinks I’m mentally unstable. So maybe I did change a little since the accident, that doesn’t mean I’m a mental case. Maybe I did develop a “bit of an attitude” as mother so eloquently puts it; maybe I don’t feel like seeing anybody that will remind me of my condition and how things used to be. And maybe I just don’t feel like trying anymore. Who really cares? It’s my life damn it!

Ugh! She’s still talking! Shut-up already! I don’t think I can take this anymore. Why can’t everyone just realize I don’t want to talk about losing my damn legs or my dreams or….or my life? I don’t want to talk period! I’ve been put up in this god-forsaken hospital/rehabilitation center for two months so far and I just want to go home.

“Mackenzie, you can’t keep doing this to yourself.” Dr. Jones said. “You need start trying to better yourself. I know that you’re depressed; that’s why were having these sessions and you need to try to fix that. The best way to do that is to do as the nurses instruct you.”

This woman is just a constant eye roll in my opinion.

“I was speaking with your friend Justin the other day and””

“Wait, who?” I must have miss heard her.

“Your friend Justin Timberlake; I’m sure haven’t forgotten about him have you?” She asks with a stupid smirk on her stupid face. I yell at the guy once and now he’s my friggin’ friend? And why is he discussing my health with her? “I asked him to start coming to visit you more regularly””

Oh hold up now….

“I think it would help you to socialize with someone closer to your age.” This is bullshit. “Since he is already a part of The Make a Wish Foundation and he will no longer be visiting with Bethany, this is no problem for him.”

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life. It can’t be real; things like this don’t happen in real life. Famous pop stars don’t just go spend time with ‘normal’ people; that I'm really considered normal...more like a freak.

Quick question for ya; Did I mention how much I hate my life?



TBC.....(PLEASE REVIEW!!!)


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki