Almost Doesn't Count by amk16


Number of reviews: 131
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


“I was just about to give up on you,” Brit commented as I walked in. She was curled on the couch, clutching a pillow in her lap as she watched a rerun of “The Real World”. She was so engrossed in the program that she didn’t notice my flushed face.

I ran to my room and threw on my pajamas at a record pace- all the while listening to Britney’s threats to start without me. Of course, that didn’t keep me from taking my sweet time. I can be vicious when it comes to Ryan Philippe.

I plopped on the couch beside her, instructed her to hit play and dipped my hand into the popcorn bowl. While watching the movie, we commented on everything, including how bitchy Sarah Michelle Gellar was and just how adorable Ryan was. I’d actually managed to sit through the movie without confessing all that had happened in my time without her.

I guess I thought my conscience would nag at me, but as I thought about Justin’s offer, I only smiled to myself. The whole situation seemed totally surreal. Here I was, a country bumpkin- the cousin that was always a step behind Britney, just not glamorous enough- and things were changing. If only I knew.

Two months ago, I would have said this would never be possible again, but it seemed as though we’d never stepped out of Louisiana. It was like this a lot lately, actually. We were back to talking about our celebrity crushes and embarrassing stories. Picking out the snobby actresses and singers was always amusing- even better now that we’d met several of them and had accurate assessments. And of course, how could we represent the female species if we didn’t go shopping every once and a while?

Just when we were getting to the good part- you know the part where Resse slaps Ryan and pretty much tells him that she hates his guts- well, we were at that part when Britney said, “I talked to Johnny today.”

I shook my head absent mindedly. It was a strict rule that one of us had to check in with Johnny at least twice a day. I was too engrossed in the changed Sebastian trying to reclaim the love of his life. That airport scene always makes me want to cry.

Brit chose this exact spot to stop the movie. I leaned across her to reach for the remote control, but stopped when I saw the serious look on her face.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, we just talked about some stuff.”

“Okay,” I sat in silence for a minute, giving her time to think of whatever it was she was trying to tell me. After a minute though, it was apparent that she either didn’t know how to tell me or she just didn’t want to. “C’mon. What’s up with you girl?”

“We both think that I need some time off. Some time out of the limelight.”

“Where are you going with this?”

“I’m gonna’ take the year off.”

My eyes widened and I forgot to chew the cheese puffs I’d been eating. “A year? Brit you wouldn’t know what to do with a year of free time.” I paused for a second to cough one last time before asking, “This isn’t about Justin, is it?”

“I- It’s not… He’s no…” She took a deep breath and held her chin high before stumbling for the right answer. “I’d be lying if I said it didn’t have something to do with him. I mean, he’s the only guy I’ve ever loved and he was always here when I needed him.” Her voice began to drop slowly and her chin began to quiver at a dangerous pace. “I just don’t know what to do without him.”

I grabbed a box of tissues from the bathroom, anticipating the waterworks that were sure to ensue.

Another nod of her head and a quick dab at the corner of her eye she continued. This time, however, her voice was renewed with unprecedented conviction. “I want to grow up a little. Maybe travel. I might even go back home for a little while.”

“As long as you’re happy, that’s all that really matters.”

Besides, I thought, no superstar means no work for the P.A.

We sat quietly for a while, but that was getting a little depressing.

“Are you gonna’ turn the movie back on, or do I need to throw these at you.” I held up bowl ominously.

“Fine, heeeeeeerrrrrrrrreeeeee’s Ryan!”

“Damn, I just wanted a reason to throw these at you,” and with that, orange cheese curls went everywhere- especially in Brit’s hair. I grabbed a pillow to shield myself from the retaliation of popcorn that always followed such an attack.

I smiled. This is exactly how we used to spend our Friday nights after school all those years ago. We could actually do this more ofeten, have more time apart and more free time to spend with others. Not that I had anyone in mind, but hypothetically, I could spend more time with anyone I chose.

Maybe some time off wouldn’t be so bad after all.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki