Almost Doesn't Count by amk16


Number of reviews: 131
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Justin was supposed to pick me up in an hour and I had no clue what I was going to wear. When I stopped to think about it, I realized that clothes were the least of my problems. I hadn’t been on a date in a long time and-

Oops! I forgot to tell you that I’d finally said yes to the dating thing. I wanted to agree from the beginning, but Justin’s constant attention cemented my decision. Receiving a text message or finding a teddy bear waiting on my desk made me realize that there was no denying my attraction. I was seriously freaking out because of the decision, but overall, very happy. It would make me even happier if I could live through it.

“Hey you,” Britney leaned on the doorframe. “Got a hot date waiting for you," she joked, examining my usually tidy room.

I smiled sheepishly and nodded. I also forgot to mention that I hadn’t consulted her about tonight.

“Oh my god, who is it?”

“Just a guy,” I shrugged.

“The same artsy, hottie that was just signed?" she inquired.

“Yeah, that’s the one.”

We stood next to each other staring at my bed, which was now littered with dresses, skirts and blouses. Everything ranged from super slutty to conservative republican grandmother.

“What about this,” Britney picked up a hot pink peasant top. “This is cute.” She searched through the strewn clothes and eventually held up a short black skirt. “This is perfect.”

I looked at the combination and laughed nervously. “I don’t know. I just wanted to be a little more subtle on a first date.”

She scrunched her nose yet again and smiled disdainfully. “It’s up to you, I just thought I’d help out. I mean, it’s not like I get to dress up for my own dates anymore.”

With that, she exited and moved towards her own room.

I tried on the combination for her sake before knocking on her door. “What do you think?”

She instructed me to spin not once but three times before smiling lightly and whispering, “Fantabulous.”

“Thanks, but you know I’ll stay home tonight if you’re going to be lonely.” In my mind, all I could do was pray to the powers that be she’d say no.

“No, no, no.”

On the inside, I was doing back flips and screaming yes, yes, yes!

“I’d never keep you away from a date. What kind of a friend would I be?” She sat up and hugged the pillow to her chest. “No, you go out and have fun with Mystery man.”

I scrutinized my checklist- yes, I had a checklist for a date- and then my reflection. The skirt was a little on the short side, bit I figured I could work with it. I nearly fell onto the floor practicing bending over and sitting in it, but once I’d mastered that, I was set to go.

Everything was in place and I was more than ready for the night to continue. I sighed to myself, And to think, I was worried about this. I had been running around all day worrying about what to wear and how to act; what to say and how to flirt without throwing myself on the guy.

When had I taken the plunge, allowing myself to get so far gone? I’m not really sure, but there was just something about Justin that brought out the dreamer in me. The tone of his voice, or the way he’d look at me, and suddenly, I was in La-La land. I could imagine us spending time together in the future and the thought didn’t frighten me. Then again, maybe I should just try to get through the night.

It was then that I realized my mouth was parched. You know, the feeling you get when you’re obsessing over something and you just don’t know how to control your nerves. Well, that’s how I was feeling. Unfortunately, we were used to room service and the only thing left in the fridge was a bottle of Welcher’s grape juice. Not my favorite, but it would do.

The phone rang and I reached for it quickly, knowing exactly who it was. “Hello,” I answered, hoping my voice didn’t sound too wispy and nervous.

“Kitty Cat,” I suppressed a gag, “I’m on my way. I just couldn’t wait to hear your voice.” Once again, I suppressed a gag, only because I was now a puddle of mush on the floor.

“Can’t wait to see you either. I’m really glad that we decided to do this tonight.”

“Me too. Not to put a damper on things, but how’s Britney.”
Cue the cricket chirping. Awkward much?

“She’s okay,” I answered, a little weary of the situation.

“I mean, how is she about us?”

“Oh,” my heart continued to bob in my stomach, slowly shriveling from the vile acids. Why did I suddenly feel so guilty? “I haven’t talked to her about it yet.” I answered meekly, not knowing what else to say.

There was a pause, but his demeanor was as cheerful as ever. “That’s cool. Tonight’s about you and me anyway, right?”

I nodded mutely, forgetting that he wasn’t present. I’d never thought about it that way, but tonight was official. It was time to step up and show him the me that I’d been hiding. Well, most of it- some of me is just plain scary. “Just the two of us,” I eventually blurted in near embarrassment.

I know that he heard the excitement, fear and wonder in my voice, but he vowed to see me soon. Exchanging goodbye’s, I tried my best to clam my nerves, realizing that I’d left the fridge door open.

That interruption from my previous route was a sign. “Stop” it was yelling loud and clear- but I just couldn’t listen. Using my well rehearsed bend from the knees, I reached for the plastic container and unscrewed the cap. Coming back up, though, I underestimated the height of the refrigerator and bopped my head. As if in slow motion, the deep purple liquid seemed to leap from its confines and onto my shirt.

I don’t think I said anything at the time. I don’t even think I moved for a few minutes. I just kind of stood there and stared at the stain. Maybe it was just me, but I could have sworn it stared right back at me. Anyway, I walked back into my room and sat on the bed, breathing calmly.

Glancing at my pillow, I picked it up and screamed into it as loud as I could. If this was any indication to the rest of the night, I was going to have one hell of an interesting first date.


© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki