Almost Doesn't Count by amk16


Number of reviews: 131
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Author's Notes:
Short, I know, but the writer's block was killing this story for a minute there.  Let me know what you think.

I’m not one to brag, but the entire weekend turned out perfectly. I couldn’t help but smile at the mere mention of anything that made me think of Justin.  Funny how I could take anything and connect it to Justin in some way. Funny…pathetic; tomato…       ta-mah-toe. It's all in the eye of the beholder.  But I digress.

On Monday, Britney and I decided to take a break from her celebrity status and hang out for a little while. We needed a few minutes to discuss the press conference Johnny had insisted on. That’s when she was scheduled to announce her hiatus from the world of celebrity.

Our first stop was Starbuck’s. I swear to goodness, we should have gone to Piñera’s instead, but I had my heart set on a chocolate brownie frapiccino.

There were a few photographers waiting for a shot, but we also saw Enriqué and Anna making out in a corner, so the paparazzi were preoccupied for a while.

“Would you like the morning news,” asked the perky little brunette behind the counter. Of course, Britney opted to finish her latest Danielle Steele Novel. We’d both read it a million times, but once more wouldn’t hurt.

Unfortunately, I have the worst luck in the world. I always do the opposite of what is good for me. I picked out the New York Times and sat in my seat next to the window.

“Ugh, would you look at them. They haven’t even let up since we came in,” Britney scoffed at the odd couple.

“What d’ya know. Dakota Fanning and Denzel are doing a movie together. It should be out in the spring.” I read the page six article before adding, “It’s no fair. Why does she get to act with Denzel?”

“You really need help, you know that? I still have Dr. Quackpot’s number, if you think you need it.”

I lost interest in her teasing me for the moment. “Oh my god.”

“What? What is it?”

Before I could respond, she grabbed the newspaper out of my hands, her eyes looking franticly for an explanation as she read the column. “Heartthrob finds love on the shores,” she read aloud. “On Saturday night, heartthrob and performer Justin Timberlake spent the night frolicking with an unidentified young lady. The two seemed very cozy and spent their time together at a romantic candle lit dinner before splashing each other with the icy water.”

Though the story was compelling enough, there was a large picture of Justin and, um, his ‘unidentified young lady’, cough, cough.

“I’m sure that was just a misunderstanding. You know how the tabloids like to change the story just to sell papers.” I’m not sure if I was trying to convince her or myself.

“That is a picture you just can’t Photoshop, Becca. See the way he’s looking at her. He’s falling for someone else already.”

That really caught me off guard. “Falling is a bit extreme, don’t you think? They just look like they’re having fun. No one falls after only one date.”

“Who said that was their first date? I bet he was sleeping with her before he ever broke up with me.”

I winced at my slip up, but tried my best to recover. “I’m just saying. You know how the paparazzi is. If Justin had been with another woman, there’d be photos. Oh look, they’re actually taking a break.”

“Let’s make our escape,” she joked. A new wave of flashes was directed towards Anna and Enriqué. I sighed heavily, knowing that I had made a narrow escape.

 

I was used to doing damage control after Britney’s common outbursts, but I never thought I’d be using such talents on my own life.  Somehow, the existing state of affairs was more difficult to put to rest than ever.  Brit was still oblivious as to the identity of Justin’s latest ‘project’ as she put it.  Not to say she didn’t try her hardest.  Every contact she’d ever made in the tabloid realm had been prevented from receiving information by J’s security team or threatened with legal action by his managerial team.  By Wednesday, she’d given up.  The boy was like Fort Knox and I laughed as I told him so.

“What can I say?  The people around me actually care about me, unlike a lot of people in this business.  Johnny’s not out for money, he’s already got enough as is.”  There was a slight pause, a tired sigh, followed by more silence.

Something was wrong and I could sense it.  I knew he was carrying a heavy weight on his shoulder as the release date of his CD loomed nearer.  It could be anything, but I’d learned not to push him if he wasn’t ready.  Instead, I tried to keep the conversation light, letting him know that I was there for him- on his own time.  “They’re not working you too hard out there, are they?  How’s that foot coming along?”

“I’m pretty good.”  He still sounded as if he’d just been enlightened on the terminal illness growing inside of him.  “I’m coming home tomorrow afternoon; too much L.A. isn’t good for the country in me.”  I sniggered at his exaggerated rural accent.  “Do you wanna’ have dinner together?  I’ll cook.”

“Impressive.”  Even I wasn’t sure if it was the thought of him cooking, or my managing a second date in less than a week; maybe it was a little of both.  Either way, my grin grew broader and I cordially accepted.  “Should I come casual, formal or in my flame retardant jump suit?”

“You know, neon orange is such a turn on,” he laughed, growling into the phone.  “Ooh, I got to go.  Brian’s here.”

“Brian?” I asked in mock surprise.  “You’re on a first name basis now?”

“I tried calling him Mr. McKnight yesterday and he told me to shut up.  Hold on, one second,”  Our mutual idol must have walked into the room because I heard the phone shuffle as he switched hands to perform that multi-layered guy hug thing- yeah.  “I’ll be right there, man, got my girl on the phone.”

He may have been at a distance, but I clearly heard the words he’d spoken, and I immediately went giddy.  His voice was a few decibels louder when he spoke to me directly.  “So I’ll see you tomorrow night.  Go for casual.  And we need to talk, so be comfortable.”



© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki