Motorbikes and Lives by sarahj


Number of reviews: 30
Print: Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


A/N: Sorry about the shortness of this chapter...hopefully the next should be a little longer!



“So…I think that’s everything. Oh, and Dr. Smith asked me to remind you that you’re due back on Tuesday, so make sure you don’t forget.”

Sarah stared blankly at drab wall behind the nurse who was currently talking at her. She hadn’t heard one word that had emerged from that woman’s mouth.

It had been a week since the operation had taken place and in the time period in between, Sarah had hardly put two sentences together. Throughout that week she had met a whole array of doctors, surgeons and nurses. Maybe all of there intentions were for her benefit, but she knew what she needed was time alone, time away from their stupid repetitive check-ups. Did she fucking look fine to them?!

And so she merely chose not to answer them. Not just them…anyone who came within close proximity of her. And there was possibly only one exception for this rule, and that was Beverly. She was the only one around here that Sarah felt would not be a waste of her words. Plus it had been Beverly who had told her about the obscure visit Sarah had woken to last week.

It was three of Chris’ band mates. Not just a local band that practised in his garage, but a national sensation amongst the female population. She should have guessed at the sight of Justin Timberlake standing in her room. Still, no matter how much they were attempting to help or how big they were, Sarah associated them with the news of Chris’ critical situation…and the mental breakdown she was now experiencing. From that moment, her brain had automatically registered the fact that they were the bringers of bad news, so they themselves must be the bad ones.

“Sarah, did you remember that time I just told you?”

Sarah now lifted her head to the nurse. She knew today was her final day at the hospital. In one hour or so she would be sitting in her comfortable bed at home, ready for yet another week of lying around. It didn’t really matter where she was situated, that was all she would be doing anyway. She turned her attention to the nurse again. Perhaps she could afford a few words for her final minutes in this place.

“Yes. I know the time. Tuesday, one o’clock.”

The nurse, who had been fumbling about with blankets at the bottom of Sarah’s bed, almost did a double take. Sarah was talking? This was new.

“That is right isn’t it? One o’clock…” Sarah repeated.

The nurse nodded silently and continued with cleaning up the remainder of the room. Maybe some things could be looking up.


************************

Eventually, two hours later, Sarah had left the dull interior of the hospital room and was making her bid for freedom.

“Mrs Klein, do you have a means of transport to get home? Because we offer a very good bus service to patients.

Sarah stopped where she was in the middle of the corridor and positioned herself on her clutches. She turned awkwardly to face Dr Smith.

“No it’s fine, I’ll- I’ll just get a taxi or something.”

“Well, if that’s what you want. Remember, if you change your mind, the bus times are at the reception. Now, is there anything else I can get you before you leave?”

Sarah paused for a moment and considered if what she was about to ask was a good idea. “Actually, yeah there is one thing.”

“Yes…”

“I want to see Chris before I go.”

Their conversation plummeted to an uncomfortable silence. Dr Smith held a vacant expression for a while before it was replaced with a questioning one. “Do you think that’s a good idea? Maybe it would be best if you can see him on Tuesday when you come in for the check-up…after you’ve had a bit more time to recover hmm?”

Sarah felt like a child asking for ice cream.

She thought about what he had said. On one hand, she wanted to see him before she left, just in case there had been any improvement. Just in case the situation had changed. On the other hand, she knew very well how highly unlikely this was. If she went now, any hopes she was currently gripping onto now would be shattered.

They had told her harshly enough. The man was dying.

Maybe now she would just have to accept the phrase ‘the doctor’s always right.’

“Alright…I’ll see myself out then.”


*********************

{Monday}

Sarah scowled at the noise of the doorbell, disturbing her sleep. Were people so blind as to miss the sign that said, “please knock rather than ringing the bell”?

Slowing elevating herself out of the slumped position, she reached across for her clutches and clumsily stood up, hobbling into the living room. All the lights in here had been dimmed and the smell of incense that had been burning yesterday was still strong. Beverly’s flowers were sitting proudly on the coffee table and with help from the next door green fingers, she had managed to keep them alive. Sarah had made sure nothing in here would distract her from her rest.

The sound of her bell rang shrilly in the calm of the apartment for the second time. “Yeah, I’m coming! Just one second…”

Sarah made her way to the main door, tripping on the loose end of the carpet as she did so. “Shit!” Sarah cried falling to her knees, her insides wailing with agony. She groaned in pain, as she tried to push up but was going to take more than that. Re-positioning herself, she balanced on one crutch and drove upwards to her feet. God, these crutches needed some getting used to.

Once again there was a noise against the door but this time it wasn’t her doorbell. A sharp rapping came from the other side and Sarah furrowed her brow in confusion. What, so now they see the sign?

Eventually she arrived at the door and it was only then it struck her who was visiting. She had agreed to meet with Beverly today. Almost every day since last week when she had been omitted from the hospital, Beverly had been coming to check on her and it Sarah only just realised she hadn’t visited today. Sarah reached for the latch and opened the door wide.

“Beverly, I’m sorry I just completely for-”

Sarah stopped mid sentence and held tightly onto the doorframe for support. Standing there, scar running past his right brow, wounds stitched along his cheek, black hair ruffled from the gale force winds outside, was Chris.




















© 2004 - 2009 NSync Fiction Archive
This site is not affiliated with NSync, Jive, WEG ... etc. No stories on the site represent any actual events. Webmasters and authors do not know NSync or any other celebrities mentioned. Any fictional characters are copyrighted to that author. Plagiarism is bad!!
Brought to you by NSyncFiction.net.

Submission Rules | Contact Us

  RSS Feed  


Powered by eFiction v.2.0.7 baby! | skin coded by Jacynthe and designed by Vikki